Major Revisions to the Position Statement on Distance Education in College Mathematics Courses in the First Two Years

Dan Petrak

Apr 12, 2017, 2:07:10 PM4/12/17
to AMATYC-ITLC
The ITLC sub-committee has created a new draft of this position statement and would like to open it up for comment from the committee at large.  This draft Google document does allow commenting, so please make comments to the document or add a reply to the thread on the ITLC Google Group discussion.

Draft #4 of Position Statement on Distance Education

Here is the current position statement you can use as reference.

We will leave this open for commenting until May 12th (one month).  We will then reconvene as a sub-committee address the comments.

Thank you helping on this position statement.

Dan Petrak

ITLC Committee Chair
Message has been deleted

Dan Petrak

May 10, 2017, 12:01:50 PM5/10/17
to AMATYC-ITLC
The current draft of the position statement on Distance Education in College Mathematics in the First Two Years has been open to commenting by the larger ITLC committe for the past month. The deadline for commenting before the sub-committee reconvenes is the Friday, May 12th.  Please take a few moments to read the current draft and leave any comments.  There is also a discussion thread on the ITLC Google Group site.

Here is the link to the current draft of the Position Statement.

Thank you for helping with this if you are able.

Dan Petrak

May 24, 2017, 2:16:19 PM5/24/17
to AMATYC-ITLC
The ITLC sub-committee met yesterday to create a new draft of this position statement.  We had some wonderful comments and input from many people to help us refine the position statement further.  Once again we would like to open the current draft for commenting from the committee at large.  This draft Google document does allow commenting, so please make comments to the document or add a reply to the thread on the ITLC Google Group discussion.

Draft #5 of Position Statement on Distance Education

Here is the current position statement you can use as reference.

We will leave this open for commenting until June 16th.  We will once again reconvene as a sub-committee to address the comments at the end of June.

Thank you helping on this position statement.

Dan Petrak

ITLC Committee Chair

Feldon, Fred

May 26, 2017, 7:57:24 PM5/26/17
to Dan Petrak, AMATYC-ITLC
Hi, All  --  As you know, our college is being audited by the Department of Education (DoE) regarding the quality of our online instruction. So I'm going to add a couple of items to the position statement that I think would strengthen it in that regard.  --  Fred

Fred Feldon
Professor of Mathematics
Coastline Community College
Fountain Valley, CA 92708

"It doesn't matter if my classroom is a little rectangle in a building or a little rectangle above my keyboard. Doors are rectangles. Rectangles are portals. We walk through." Kathi Inman Berens

Jun 7, 2017, 7:36:00 PM6/7/17
to Feldon, Fred, Dan Petrak, AMATYC-ITLC
HI, all,
I 'm a bit late to this party. Great work. I added some language as suggestions.

Have a great day!
Barbara Illowsky, PhD
Chief Academic Affairs Officer, CCC Online Ed Initiative (OEI)
2013 International Educator ACE Award for OpenCourseWare Excellence,
Open Education Consortium

 "Learning is not attained by chance; it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence."

-- Abigail Adams, 1780

Jun 13, 2017, 4:09:07 PM6/13/17
to AMATYC-ITLC
This is a reminder to post any comments on Draft #5 on the Position Statement on Distance Education by this Friday, June 16th.  Thank you to those who have already done so.

Dan Petrak

Jun 27, 2017, 2:56:54 PM6/27/17
to AMATYC-ITLC
Here is the message I just sent out to the committee at large.  Thank you all for your input on this document.

The ITLC sub-committee once again has created a new draft of this position statement based on the comments from the committee at large and would like to open it up for comment again.  This draft Google document does allow commenting, so please make comments to the document.

Draft #6 of Position Statement on Distance Education

Here is the current position statement you can use as a reference.

We will leave this open for commenting until July 14th.  We will then reconvene as a sub-committee to address the comments.

Thank you for helping on this position statement.

Dan Petrak

Dan Petrak

Jun 28, 2017, 2:25:23 PM6/28/17
to AMATYC-ITLC, dgpe...@gmail.com
Fred,

Thank you for the contributions.  We did use some of the language in the current draft, but we feared some of it might be too prescriptive and easily dated.  I will be interested in what you think of the current version.
Message has been deleted

Sophia Georgiakaki

Nov 17, 2018, 12:03:51 PM11/17/18
to Dan Petrak, AMATYC-ITLC
Hello to all,
I apologize for not mentioning these during the ITLC meeting last night at the conference. These are board recommendations, and the subcommittee can consider them if it is determined that they are necessary. We will receive more input from the virtual open forum in spring 2019, so changes will continue to happen throughout the year and until the conference in Milwaukee.

I would like to participate in the subcommittee in order to be familiar with the rationale for each change (or not) that occurs from now on.

Sophia

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 11:12 AM Dan Petrak <dgpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
ITLC members,

We have comments back from the AMATYC Board with regards to this position statement.  We will be reconvening a subcommittee to address these concerns hopefully between now and the end of the year.  I have pasted the Board Comments here and at the bottom of the document.  Feel free to add your thoughts and comments.  We hope to still get this position statement approved at the 2019 conference in Milwaukee.

Here are the comments by the AMATYC Board

Line 5: The board thinks that this is an attempt to define distance education.  They recommend we come up with a better definition of distance education, and not use the expression “without face-to-face contact,” as many instructors hold live face-to-face meetings with students online.  They recommend something like “on ground” or any other phrasing that indicates existence in the same space.  Also, the position statement on proctoring of exams (and line 46 of this position statement) refers to exam proctoring which requires face-to-face.

Line 5: The board asks if hybrid courses should be included in distance education even though they have some face-to-face contact

Lines 29, 30, 33: These design attributes are part of all classes (not only online).  The board suggests that we reference Quality Matters to link them to distance education classes.

Lines 49-62: Please link the references to specific content in the body of the position statement (like lines 29, 30, 33 with Quality Matters if that is where these attributes came from)

Lines 31 and 36: These seem to be saying the same thing especially because lines 31-32 include  engagement with students and faculty.  I did respond to this comment stating that engagement with the content is different from communication between persons, but the response I got was that the bullet of 31-32 indicates communication between persons too.

Lines3-4: There was a request to shorten the title for publications (they said that it is very hard to include such a long title in a the tabular schedule for example).

In summary, the recommendations were:

1.      Hybrid courses

2.      References to QM

3.      Distance Education definition

4.      Links to references listed at the end

5.      Distinction between lines 31&36

6.      Short title

Dan Petrak

Dan Petrak

Dec 6, 2018, 2:41:52 PM12/6/18
to AMATYC-ITLC
The ITLC Position Statement Sub Committee met today and cleaned up some of the language and addressed the concerns of the AMATYC Board.  We believe we have a good draft to move forward, but we welcome everyone to read and comment on this by January 1st, 2019.  At that point we will decide to either meet once again or move the statement forward in the process.  Thank you to Anne Magnuson and Sophia Georgiakaki for their help today and also to everyone who read and made comments.  Here is the link to the latest version and it is open for commenting.

Dan Petrak

Jul 3, 2019, 9:30:45 AM7/3/19
to AMATYC-ITLC
Here is the link to the final draft (July 2019) being sent to the Board for review before coming to the Delegate Assembly at the conference in Milwaukee.  Thank you to all the people have worked to improve and refine this position statement.