Debates at Clean-Code-Alliance

Itzik Saban

Sep 8, 2016, 3:59:54 AM9/8/16
to altnetisrael

Hi everyone,
At Clean-Code-Alliance we are considering starting a series of meetings of a new concept: Debates.

As you all know, there are many disputes in the software industry, for example:

  1. Dynamic languages Vs. Strongly typed languages
  2. DI containers (Spring, Windsor, etc.) Vs. Poor Man's DI (plain old consructors)
  3. Fully isolated unit tests (everything is mocked) Vs. Hardly isolated unit tests (only external resources are being mocked)
  4. Anemic Domain Model - is it, or is it not an anti pattern?

In each meeting, two or more people, with different opinions about a specific subject, will present a detailed presentation and will explain why they prefer one way over the other.

The point of this series is not to turn it into a WWF arena (or MMA these days), but rather to expose people to different opinions on different subjects.

In this group (altnet israel), I myself took part in some interesting debates, like how much should you isolate your tests with mocks and so forth. I noticed that many people have much to say about this kind of disputes.

So, if you feel you can come up with some convincing arguments about the position you believe in, we invite you to contact us.

Boris: bori...@gmail.comItzik: itzik...@gmail.com

Igal Tabachnik

Sep 8, 2016, 7:27:27 AM9/8/16
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, not to be a troll (well, not more than usual). But it's almost 2017 - haven't those topics been discussed to death? Time to let go :)

Itzik Saban

Sep 8, 2016, 7:33:35 AM9/8/16
to altnetisrael
Oh really? No, I haven't noticed that.

Thank you anyway for your humble opinion...

--
Itzik Saban

Ken Egozi

Sep 8, 2016, 11:59:30 AM9/8/16
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
I noticed the "for example" part of the OP's message. This sounds like it could be fun, and it is up to the people showing up to duel on whatever has not been discussed to death until then.

Ken Egozi

Sep 8, 2016, 12:00:53 PM9/8/16
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
@Itzik The way to make this happen is to set time and date and be there, see how many people show up. This is a self organizing community - things happen by members making them happen!

Itzik Saban

Sep 8, 2016, 3:45:54 PM9/8/16
to altnetisrael

Hi Ken,  thanks for this helpful advise.

Right now we have Lior Fridman willing to talk in favor of highly isolated unit tests and we're looking for some one who is in favor of the oposite. From a conversation we had here not too long ago,  I saw that there are people who can speek in favor of less isolation.  If I remember correctly,  you are on this position as well.

I personally am going to talk in favor of poor man's DI and I am preaty sure it won't be too hard to find people who are willing to take the other position.

Just to clarify again,  it's not going to be an arena.  Two people,  each in her/his turn,  will present arguments against and  for a subject.