Gathering user feedback in enterprise products

Nir Rozen

Dec 3, 2014, 2:35:14 AM12/3/14
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
(Not .Net related)

Hi,
I work in an enterprise software company, and recently found out we don't gather any user feedback about my product.

I always assumed PM were doing this, but turns out they been told by the legal dept this is problematic as the customers regard anything sent to us as sensitive data. They do however send crash logs when needed.

I feel this is hurting the product.

I'm curious how this is handled in other B2B companies, what tools you use, etc.

Thanks

Menny Rachmanny

Dec 3, 2014, 3:27:23 PM12/3/14
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
hi nir,

this is realy a legal issue since you have to inform up ahead the user of you collecting usage data (or any other data). for a good start usually google analytics will do the trick (even in on premise apps).

more advance options is collecting metrics data (which will be hard in on premise situations, the hard part is consuming the collected that and not the collection process by itself). for this job there are many tools - take a look at graphite+graphana for starters.

last but not least are tools like splunk (great for on premise) or sumologic for cloud apps

hope this helps

menny

Nir Rozen

Dec 3, 2014, 4:11:21 PM12/3/14
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for the tools suggestions, I will look into them.

I'm interested to hear how other B2B companies deal with the legal issues you mentioned.

Is it a common practice or do most companies not take the legal/business risk?

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Dec 4, 2014, 1:19:24 AM12/4/14
to altnetisrael
Usually you just put it as an explicit part of your installation process, and have them accept/reject it.
Making a choice explicitly give you the option to do so.

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811

omri fima

Dec 4, 2014, 1:37:38 AM12/4/14
to altnet...@googlegroups.com
regarding the legal issues, as i see it it's usually about asking the right questions.
if you'll ask legal "can i collect useer feedback?", they will probably answer "no, you cannot".

the real question, "what kind of user feedback can i gather?"
and here the answers usually get more interesting - "is the number of times a user has clicked a button  is considered internal?" , "is an feedback the they send explicitly is considered internal data?", "is a feedback session on site where we watch the user using our software is considered internal data?"

so few interesting solutions and questions ou need to ask your legal department -
- anonymous feedback, gather feedback in such a manner you only get anonymous stats, and cannot track the "who" and "what data".
- use the usage stats as feedback.this is a data that is already in your system.
- explicit feedback, don't gather feedback behind their back,  ask them for explicit feedback (in the style of - www.userreport.com) and there you can put all the legal mumbo jumbo of "only send us unsensetive data" and so forth.