Re: [altmetrics:24] Digest for altmetrics@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

William Gunn

Dec 7, 2013, 6:44:17 PM12/7/13
to altme...@googlegroups.com

The hypothesis to be falsified here would seem to be, "Google searches drive Wikipedia page views".

William Gunn | Head of Academic Outreach, Mendeley | +1 646 755 9862
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/william-gunn

On Dec 7, 2013 11:37 AM, <altme...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/altmetrics/topics

James Salsman

Dec 7, 2013, 11:13:13 PM12/7/13
to altme...@googlegroups.com
William, what Google search changes do you think have affected the
fluctuations in http://stats.grok.se/en/latest90/United%20States
over the past month? http://stats.grok.se/en/latest90/United%20Kingdom
for example, does not show the same readership spikes and fall-off
after accuracy- and pertinence-related edits.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/altmetrics/CAOygOr4AJcu_RXMNNvSG1aBBSAnyxuoO2T_hXFtTCr%3DdK9Ymsw%40mail.gmail.com.

Dario Taraborelli

Dec 9, 2013, 1:22:44 PM12/9/13
to altme...@googlegroups.com
I don’t know how relevant this thread is to the altmetrics group, but for reference: Wikimedia properties depend on inbound traffic from search engines (and more generally Google properties) at a much higher rate than any other top website.

I attach a graph with the proportion of raw monthly entries (i.e. not unique visitors) originating from Google sites for a number of top web properties (Source: comScore Source/Loss report, worldwide traffic, June-September 2013). Note that Google sites also include maps, Youtube links etc.

Dario