Re: [croydonastro - 2343] 10381 Malinsmith - Next image from La Palma

John Mills

Oct 12, 2016, 6:04:19 PM10/12/16
to croydonastro, alta...@googlegroups.com
Strange? The animated GIF isn't running? My first post was direct to the
CroydonAstro website?

Lets try again and hope this works :-)

John M

On 12/10/2016 22:45, John Mills wrote:
> Attached is an animated GIF (thanks to John Berman for directing me to
> the website of how to do this) made from the next set of images of 10381
> Malinsmith. These were taken on the 9th Oct at a start time of 01:16:53.
>

> I setup up for 10 x 600s exposures (through the L filter), but image #5
> was unusable due to passing high cloud and the next image was weak also,
> but usable. Conditions then improved. This can be seen around halfway
> through the GIF with 9 images making up the animated file. As in the
> first image set, I have annotated the first image to show the position
> of the asteroid and the magnitudes of some of the close by stars in the FOV.
>

> For those interested, here are the results from the plate solved FITs
> image of the first exposure using 'The Sky X'.
>

> ******** ASTROMETRIC SOLUTION RESULTS ********
>
> Center RA: 03h 13m 53.16s
>
> Center Dec: +30° 36' 08.4"
>
> Scale: 1.86 arcseconds/pixel
>
> Size (pixels): 1392 x 1040
>
> Angular Size: 0° 43' 08" x 0° 32' 13"
>
> Position Angle: 92° 01' from north through east
>
> RMS: 0.63 (X: 0.40 Y: 0.49)
>
> Number of Stars Used in Solution: 295 (99%)
>
> FWHM: 3.18 pixels, 5.91 arcseconds

> Taken using an Ikharus 102mm APO and an SXVR-H9 cooled camera at -12C
> below the ambient temperature which was ~19C.
>
> I'll see if I can take some more images later in the month after the
> moon has waned down a bit.
>
> Cheers,
> John

---
output_PmFmK4.gif

J R

Oct 13, 2016, 3:52:17 AM10/13/16
to alta...@googlegroups.com
Hi John

That's really good. I like the way you did the labels.

James

Sent from my iPad
> --
> <output_PmFmK4.gif>

John Mills

Oct 13, 2016, 11:08:28 AM10/13/16
to alta...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

Thanks for your comments. I put the labels onto the first image using
the text tool in Photoshop. Just makes it easier to identify the
asteroid and the magnitudes of a few stars in the FOV to get an idea of
how faint 10381 Malinsmith is: ~mag 17.5.

I also adopted the negative format for the GIF as Graeme does. I found
it was easier to see the asteroid moving as a black point against a
white background.

John