NGC7635 (Bubble) +M52 (+ Czernik43) in H-Alpha

Graeme Coates

Nov 12, 2016, 7:03:53 PM11/12/16
to croydo...@googlegroups.com, alta...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've finally got the HA data for this one into a state that I'm happy
with (only taken 4 nights...). This is my first time in using
Pixinsight for post-processing and it's been a learnign curve though I
think I quite like it as a tool (the initial reduction was done in
CCDSoft/Sigma as usual). M52 is the cluster bottom right, Czernik 43
is a much looser cluster above that. The nebulosity bottom left is
real (!) and is SH2-158, and I think the wispy stuff centre right, top
of frame is possibly associated with the planetary KjPn 8 (though it's
not particularly well catalogued).

Total exposure is 7hrs (in 20min subs) through a 5nm HA alpha filter
with my ST2000XM and FLT110 working at f5.7. We had a good run of
clear fairly moonless nights that appears to have abruptly ended given
the amount of rain today...

Interestingly, I had more exposure with 10min subs (another 1h40m) but
it increased the noise in the image by including those frames (here I
think the read noise was too high compared with the background noise).

I have RGB data for this too (1hr each in 5 min subs) - but need to
work through the RGB workflows before I can think about how it might
be best to combine the lot - I'm going to start with data on M37 first
to get that right and then return.

Cheers

Graeme
Bubble-M52-HA-bordered.jpg