New 360 degree all-sky camera.

John Murrell

Apr 4, 2016, 3:10:31 PM4/4/16
to alta...@googlegroups.com

There is an interesting article on space weather.com for 4th April at http://spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=04&month=04&year=2016 showing the use of the recently upgraded Richo Theta S 360 degree camera for astronomy. It has twin fish eye lens with an aperture of f2 .

An article describing the use of the camera for astronomy is at http://www.project-nightflight.net/ricoh_theta_s_in_astronomy_and_astrophotography.pdf . It is operated via a mobile phone app or a PC.

Current price seems to be about £300 – there is an older model that I assume does not perform as well.

The big limitation is the small size of the pixels so it has high noise levels at high (1600) ISO. It appears that you need to use a USB connection rather than the wireless link to get the full resolution images.

I wonder how good it is at Meteor detection ?

Anyone tried this or have any more information ?

Regards

John