Portable power for RaspberryPi

John Murrell

Feb 5, 2015, 4:23:25 PM2/5/15
to alta...@googlegroups.com

I have written before about using a RaspberryPi as a programmable timer for taking time lapse images of NLC and other phenomena. Details of my setup are on my website.

One problem is that the RasPi is normally powered by a mains to 5V USB adaptor. This ties you to a mains power source and is not very convenient. People have made their own battery packs for RasPi’s but quite often this has involved modifications to the power regulator on the RasPi board and is not very neat.

I recently realised that the battery packs now sold to charge mobile phones on tablets on the move give 5V out as required by a RasPi and also deliver the 1 amp required for peak loads on the RasPi. As a result I had a look round and purchased a 11,500 maH pack from 7day shop – it only cost £19.99. So far I have tried running my RasPi with the camera interface for around 13 hours which appears to have about half discharged the battery so I anticipate getting something like a full day out of the battery. I should say my setup is running without keyboard, mouse, wireless network or monitor as I now control it remotely over my network using the windows remote control programme which works really well.

So if you want to operate your RasPi from a battery I recommend you buy one of these packs- at £19.99 for 11,500 maH they are really good value for money.

John Murrell

Astronomer Without Portfolio

Website www.JohnMurrell.org.uk

Roy Easto

Feb 5, 2015, 5:03:41 PM2/5/15
to alta...@googlegroups.com
I wanted a number of different voltages. 12V for my drive electronics, 7.5V for the camera (although 9 will do) and 5V for the Raspberry PI.

I really like the DC - DC converters, they are efficient, cheap, small and can convert between 12V and anything less than 12V.

Such as: http://www.amazon.co.uk/HeroNeo-Converter-Module-Output-Adapter/dp/B00JES3HX6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1423173352&sr=8-5&keywords=12v+usb+5v+dc+converter

The picture attached shows the 12V 2.1Ah battery (back right), my 12V crystal/stepper based camera drive in the grey box at left and the small black box lower right is the 5V converter next to the USB port. My new model B+ Pi has 4 USB ports which is enough for the Camera and Wifi adapter (and mouse and keyboard). I have a 9V converter on order which will be wired in parallel to provide power to the camera for all night sessions.

I remember being in a car park in La Palma running my setup off the hire car battery. Possibly not a good idea if you want to be sure the car will start the next morning.

Roy

PowerSupply.jpg

Roy Easto

Feb 5, 2015, 5:07:28 PM2/5/15
to alta...@googlegroups.com
John,

Can you tell us more about the windows remote control program?

Roy