New MOOC: Introduction to Solar Systems Astronomy

John Murrell

Jun 26, 2015, 2:59:59 AM6/26/15
to alta...@googlegroups.com

A new MOOC has been announced by Arizona State University starting on August 20, 2015. Enrolment is open now.

The course synopsis is:

About this course

In this introductory four-credit lecture and laboratory course, we will explore the origins, structure, contents, and evolution of our solar system and exosolar planetary systems. We will also cover the history of astronomy, properties of light, instruments, the study of the solar system and nearby stars.

Hide

What you'll learn

  • The origins, structure, contents and evolution of our solar system
  • How to use algebra and order-of-magnitude estimates to obtain quantitative, scientific results
  • How to give clear explanations of physical phenomena

More details are at:

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-solar-systems-astronomy-asux-ast111-credit-eligible?utm_source=edX+Course+Announcements+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=eab9723410-GFA_Campaign_June_25&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_237694b56d-eab9723410-81714733

As I read it the course is free but you can pay at the end if you want  your results credited as part of the (USA) ASU credit system proper to stating a USA based degree course.

I am aware some readers of this list have taken part in other astronomy MOOCs so this may extend your knowledge nearer home.

Regards

John Murrell