New page on my web site

John Murrell

Oct 10, 2016, 2:14:26 PM10/10/16
to alta...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

I have added a new section to ‘The Virtual Observatory for Amateur Astronomers’ section of my web site. The section which consists of 4 pages describes how to show the size and orientation of extended objects in Aladin. It also covers the generation of your own catalogue of objects from the Simbad website.

I have provided a filter and also a catalogue of extended objects around Gamma Cygni which you can download as an example. This was inspired by a request for assistance from Peter Woolliams who is trying to identify nebulous regions and other clouds in the area around Gamma Cygni.

In preparing these pages I thought I had discovered a new nebula near Gamma Cygni as it does not appear in the list of extended objects. It turns out it is not really new but you need to look at my pages to find out why it does not appear.

I have also done some revision on the other VO pages which are now titled ‘The Virtual Observatory for Amateur Astronomers’  - slightly longer than the previous titles of Amateur Virtual Observatory but does not sound so demeaning.

The pages are all available from my website at www.JohnMurrell.org.uk

You can send me feedback either via this group or via the contact details on my home page.

John Murrell

wool...@googlemail.com

Oct 10, 2016, 2:45:36 PM10/10/16
to alta...@googlegroups.com
A great resource, thanks John for making this available.

Peter

Sent from my iPhone

John Murrell

Oct 10, 2016, 3:48:33 PM10/10/16
to alta...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Peter,

I learnt several things working out how to produce the best results. I thought I had better write it up while I remembered the subtleties.

I hope other people will find it useful , it is fairly easy to modify it to display other objects.

Regards

John Murrell