Sky @ Night imaging challenge

John Murrell

Apr 13, 2015, 10:33:38 AM4/13/15
to alta...@googlegroups.com

Last night on The Sky @ Night Pete Lawrence posed a challenge to all the imagers out there to image the Hubble Deep Field. It must be possible as I have seen an amateur image of it in Sky & Telescope.

If any of you are going to take up the challenge there is an easier option to point your scope in the correct part of the sky – assuming your mount is properly aligned and it will communicate with an ASCOM driver. The easy way is to use Cartes du Ciel to position the telescope. CdC does not understand the HDF as an object but the easy way over that is to link it via the Virtual Observatory SAMP hub to Aladin. Aladin can find the HDF though you need to note that the proper designation for it is HDFN ( the N is for North). CdC will then follow the position in Aladin via the VO commands and your telescope should slew to the position it is told to by CdC.

A bit of a long way in words but easy if you have the connections working.

This is also a useful technique to locate other objects that are not in the CdC catalogues.

Regards

John Murrell

Astronomer Without Portfolio

Website www.JohnMurrell.org.uk

Andrea Fernandes

Apr 13, 2015, 1:14:54 PM4/13/15
to alta...@googlegroups.com
Jonh would it be possible to forward me the link for the amateur image that you mentioned, if you still have it of course.

Kind regards

Andy

Andrea Fernandes

John Murrell

Apr 13, 2015, 2:21:32 PM4/13/15
to alta...@googlegroups.com

Andy,

The original image was in the paper copy of S&T which I don’t have any more but there is an image of the HDF(South) field at http://rogergroom.com/projects/hubble-deep-field-south/ with an explanation.

There is an image of what I presume is the North field at http://www.astrobin.com/22344/ but I am not sure if this is the one in S&T. I had a look at the S&T index and it is not obvious where the images are – I think it may have been in one of the columnists so would probably not be in the title so finding it is a challenge.

John Murrell

Apr 13, 2015, 2:25:40 PM4/13/15
to alta...@googlegroups.com

PS:

There is an animated comparison image at http://www.astrobin.com/22346/ this shows what was captured in comparison with HST very well.

John Murrell

Astronomer Without Portfolio

Website www.JohnMurrell.org.uk

Apr 13, 2015, 8:59:22 PM4/13/15
to alta...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

There's an article in Astronomy Now (August 2012 page 24) called 'The Kielder Deep Field' when some guy at that star party tried this and got some pretty good results. The position is RA 12 36 49.4  DEC 62 12 58 and there are some charts and photos.

I don't subscribe to AN, The Sky & Telescope or Astronomy so guess this mag was given to me by someone who came over to La Palma that year to do some imaging and to read on the plane!

Hope that helps?

Cheers,
John Mills

Avast logo