M37 RGB

Graeme Coates

Nov 16, 2016, 2:35:41 AM11/16/16
to croydo...@googlegroups.com, alta...@googlegroups.com

I grabbed this set of subs on night if 5th Nov as a quick image after working on the bubble. 35 min in RGB at 1x1 bin (7x5min subs).

Processed in Pixinsight - the RGB process is not so hard, the automatic colour registration tools work quite nicely, and makes stretch preserves start colour well. I particularly like the deep red star below (south) the cluster.

https://www.chromosphere.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/open_clusters/M37.1024.jpg

Thanks

GC

John Mills

Nov 16, 2016, 1:51:36 PM11/16/16
to croydo...@googlegroups.com, alta...@googlegroups.com
That's a really nice image Graeme. Good to see you are getting to know
your way around PI. Are you using the trial version or have you 'doshed
out' for a license! Its quite expensive I believe.

That red carbon star came out well. There's another one close to Orion -
W Orionis (HIP23680) which is mag 6.1 so quite a lot brighter.

I remember many years ago attending an Astrofest in Kensington where
David Malin was the main speaker. After his talk I showed him a
ciberchrome print of the Orion constellation which Konrad had made from
one of my transparencies -
http://www.millseyspages.com/astro_pages/image_gallery/Film/slides/Orion.html

David pointed out that star to me on the photo and said it was a carbon
star. I would never have known that!

Cheers,
John

On 16/11/2016 11:46, Graeme Coates wrote:
> Thanks – I just tweaked the colours in fact! (a touch green in the
> bright stars).
>

> Of interest, the deep red star is V358 Aur, which is a carbon star –
> hence the ruddy nature. It’s about V mag 12.2 – here’s the Simbad data:
>

> http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-id?Ident=Case++358&NbIdent=1#lab_ident
>

> GC

---

Graeme Coates

Nov 16, 2016, 4:01:13 PM11/16/16
to croydo...@googlegroups.com, alta...@googlegroups.com

Still on trial until Xmas eve (45 days is reasonably generous, and I have data to play with and can easily lay my hands on more). Will decide nearer the time, but I rarely buy much expensive software so might go for it (licences are cheaper when you work in academia!).

GC

Graeme Coates

Nov 16, 2016, 6:19:22 PM11/16/16
to alta...@googlegroups.com, croydo...@googlegroups.com
On 16 November 2016 at 20:53, Graeme Coates <gra...@chromosphere.co.uk> wrote:

> (licences are cheaper when you work in academia!).

(Should clarify that PI isn't cheaper, but lots of other things are
(OS, Office, Photoshop, etc...)

GC