RE: {Altair_B - 5306} -: Re: Orion's Belt -color spaces pt 2

1 view

John Murrell

Jan 30, 2015, 4:02:07 PM1/30/15
to alta...@googlegroups.com

Paul,

See http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/color-management1.htm  and the following two web pages linked to it for an explanation.  However it is not specific to Astro Photography

John Murrell

Astronomer Without Portfolio

Website www.JohnMurrell.org.uk

From: alta...@googlegroups.com [mailto:alta...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of John Murrell
Sent: 30 January 2015 20:51
To: alta...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: {Altair_B - 5306} -: Re: Orion's Belt

Paul,

There is quite a lot on color spaces on wikipedia see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_color_spaces_and_their_uses and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_space.

The diagrams on these pages show ‘all possible colours’ and the labelled triangles and pentagons show the limitations of particular colour spaces. Colours outside the boundary of the particular triangle or Pentagon cannot be reproduced correctly.

The diagrams are not true to life as they have to be produced using the colour space on the image + web browser + monitor. That combination cannot reproduce anything outside it’s own colour space.

What I am not sure about is the impact on images taken by a camera and the subsequent processing. I suspect that Adobe Photoshop will work in work in the Adobe RGB colour space and most other applications work in sRGB.

For astronomical images I suspect it does not make much difference as the final image is adjusted to be ‘pleasing’ rather than true colour. What would be interesting to see is where some of the common astrophysical emission lines sit on the diagram. H Alpha is obviously in the red corner but where.  Are the numbers on the border of the figure below related to the wavelength (in nm) ?

I guess (but have no evidence) that colours outside the boundaries are reproduced as the ‘nearest’ colour within the boundary.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1e/CIE1931xy_gamut_comparison.svg/512px-CIE1931xy_gamut_comparison.svg.png

"CIE1931xy gamut comparison" by BenRG and cmglee - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:CIE1931xy_blank.svg. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:CIE1931xy_gamut_comparison.svg#mediaviewer/File:CIE1931xy_gamut_comparison.svg