Tara Mata

nojdw

Aug 29, 2001, 11:57:51 PM8/29/01
Tara Mata (1900-1971)

Self-Realization Fellowship

Vice-President and Editor-in-Chief

Describing her work with Paramahansa Yogananda on his writings Tara Mata wrote
the following to an acquaintance in 193 7 (at the time,
Paramahansaji was composing commentaries on the scriptures)

"He gets it entirely from inspiration. In fact, it is only through him that I
know what ‘inspired books’ really means. He will come to a passage which
is so obscure that it defies all possibility of plain interpretation. He will
look blankly at me or one of his other secretaries for a while, close his eyes,
and presently out will come the whole plain meaning. I tell you it has been an
education and a privilege to help with this wonderful book. My end is
pure grammar, arrangement, etc. None of the interpretation is anyone’s but
Swamiji’s."

THE EDITING OF PARAMAHANSA YOGANANDA’S WORKS

Tara Mata (Laurie Pratt) was among those disciples who were drawn to
Paramahansaji from his very first years in this country, and she was a
pillar of strength in helping him to carry out his mission.* {* Paramahansaji
said of her "Laurie is like a child without guile, innocent, trusting,
loving. But once she begins to see deviousness in anyone toward Self-Realization
Fellowship, watch out! she is like a lion, roaring. An account of
Tara Mata’s life as one of Paramahansaji’s principal disciples can be found in
the summer 1971 issue of Self-Realization magazine. In addition, a
remarkable description of the exalted state of expanded spiritual consciousness
she enjoyed is recorded in the booklet, "Forerunner of a New
Race."}

We are saddened by Mr. Walters’ repeated attempts through the years to tarnish
the memory of this disciple whom Paramahansa Yogananda held
in such esteem that he entrusted to her the responsibility of compiling and
editing his talks and writings for publication. The Guru often expressed
publicly his recognition and appreciation of Tara Ma’s attunement with the
spirit of his message and her unique ability to edit his works. "Nobody
but Laurie could do the editing to my highest satisfaction," wrote Paramahansaji
to Rajarsi Janakananda about Tara Mata’s work on his
Autobiography. "The Lord will bless her with redemption for the immortal service
she has given."

Tara Mata’s editing of the Guru’s writing is now being impugned by Mr. Walters,
and he has at the same time claimed that it was Paramahansaji’s
wish that he serve as an editor of the Guru’s writings. None of the close
disciples who were in daily contact with Paramahansaji and who served as
his assistants for years, recording his directions for every aspect of the work
of his society, recall the Guru ever expressing the intention that Mr.
Walters should edit his works. By contrast, several disciples vividly remember
the Guru’s lavish praise of Tara Mata’s editing, and his express wish
to have Mrinalini Mata succeed her as editor of his teachings.**{** Mrinalini
Mata, now vice president of SRF, is also editor-in-chief of
Self-Realization Fellowship publications.

To Rajarsi Janakananda in March 1950, Paramahansaji wrote of Mrinalini Mata (who
was still a teenager at the time) and of the editorial work he
had assigned to her ‘[She] was destined for this work God showed this to me when
I first saw her spirit. Many wondered at me for putting her in
the job. But now they don’t, seeing her wonderful work, as I wanted."

Of Mrinalini Mata’s responsibility as editor, Sri Daya Mata has written:
"Gurudeva made clear to all of us the role for which he was preparing her,
giving her personal instruction in every aspect of his teachings and in his
wishes for the preparation and presentation of his writings and talks.

"One day toward the end of his life on earth, he confided: ‘I am very worried
about Laurie. Her health will not permit her to finish the work on my
writings.’

"Knowing the Guru’s great reliance on Tara Mata, Mrinalini Mata expressed
concern: ‘But Master, who then can do that work?’

"The Guru replied with quiet finality: ‘You will do it."’}

In his autobiography, Mr. Walters himself refers to Tara Mata as "the older
disciple to whom Master had given the real responsibility for editing,"
and describes the miscellaneous tasks, such as cutting and pasting copy,
proofreading, etc., that Paramahansaji had assigned to him for a brief
period. He also recalls the Guru’s stern admonition to him, "Edit, but don’t
change a word!"

After Paramahansaji’s passing in 1952, Mr. Walters wrote: "In the time Master
was here, since I first arrived I spent more than half of my time on
momentarily profitless work. While there were Important projects pending the
building of India House, for one he would put me off in a corner
studying the Praecepta [SRF Lessons], or working on the Gita, or rewriting the
Highest Achievements [free pamphlet], when he had no intention of
using my labors. He showed not even the slightest interest when I told him I was
through."

Under the supervision of Tara Mata and Mrinalini Mata, a wide variety of new
books by or about Paramahansa Yogananda and his teachings has
been brought out by SRF and this work goes on continuously. 1994, for example,
saw the publication of Paramahansaji’s acclaimed Wine of the
Mystic; and in 1995 his massive translation and commentary on the Bhagavad Gita
was completed.

Ananda also claims that a letter by the Guru praising Tara Mata’s efforts in
helping him revise Whispers from Eternity was forged by her. This is
untrue. The "letter" in question was actually an Author’s Note written in 1951
by Paramahansaji:

"It has given me great satisfaction to revise Whispers from Eternity. When first
published the book contained unedited writings and a number of
verbatim transcripts of prayers composed by me in my yoga classes in various
cities.

"For many years I have wished to edit these invocations but was prevented by the
pressure of other duties. During the last three years I have
taken time now and then to revise the book.

I am immensely grateful to a Self-Realization Fellowship student who gave me
invaluable aid in the work of editing, revision, and rearrangement.

Paramahansa Yogananda

November 30, 1951

Twenty-Nine Palms, California

Those who knew and worked with Tara Mata, remember her as utterly disinterested
in receiving public praise or recognition. In fact, she tried
very hard to dissuade Paramahansaji from even mentioning her name in his
acknowledgments at the front of Autobiography of a Yogi; but he
insisted that her invaluable assistance should not go unrecognized.

Mukti Mata, minister serving at the Mother Center; disciple since 1946

"You can never describe the Guru’s presence the omniscience of it all is beyond
our human comprehension....But at the same time, he was
human beyond compare. He understood everything that human beings have to go
through. And as a result you never were fearful of anything he
might know because you knew he knew everything anyway. He had such incredible
understanding human understanding. But saturating all that,
above and beyond and in between, was the Divine Presence, that incredible
presence of the Divine in him, which uplifted us so much that nothing
else in this world really mattered that much, nothing."

Steven M. Stoltz

Aug 30, 2001, 9:57:35 PM8/30/01

Nojdw also wrote:

>The pledge used during the
>Boston years (1920-23) begins:

>"In the presence of God, Jesus Christ, Lord Krishna, your holy
preceptors:
>Babaji, Lahiri Mahasaya, Sriyukteswar Giriji, and you my spiritual
guide,
>promise and take a solemn oath...."

Did I get something wrong, I didn't see Tara Mata on the pledge list
you mentioned ? I looked hard ...

If it isn't a membership pledge requirement, do we still have to
respect her too ? I appreciate the fact that SRF respects the work
she did because the
quality of the writings she edited may help to draw people to a direct
guru
discple relationship with Master, but she was only the vice president
of SRF,
just like Kriyananda - and SRF doesn't respect him. In fact, my take
from
what I read above is that Kriyananda is such a bad man that Master
didn't hold
him in high esteem like the article says Master did of Tara.

To summarize, we don't have to respect anybody who SRF, sorry; I mean
who Master, doesn't hold in high esteem - including vice presidents of
SRF.
Those who Master doesn't hold in high esteem should be kicked out of
SRF
and any SRF groups like the USED kleenex they are.

Stoltz