Real Mode Memory Allocation Error

Otis Dixon

Jan 11, 2003, 5:05:41 PM1/11/03
Hi;
I was trying to install Office PRO 2000 on my AMD Atlon-based running
Windows 98SE. The install failed and now I can not bring up Window 98
(normal mode). Instead, I get a "Real Mode Memory Allocation Error" message
and I can only boot up in "safe" mode. I have already added a "STACKS"
statement to config.sys; however, that did not eliminate the problem.

I would appreciate any help.

PCForrest

Jan 11, 2003, 6:43:54 PM1/11/03
"Otis Dixon" <odi...@kc.rr.com> wrote in message

You need to rename your RMM.PDR file.
From DOS:

C:
CD\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS
REN RMM.PDR RMM.OLD

Once Windows is loaded you should be
able to rename it back again.

--
Peter C. Forrest
http://www.forrestandassociates.co.uk/pcforrest/

Shep©

Jan 12, 2003, 10:04:30 AM1/12/03
On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 22:05:41 GMT, "Otis Dixon" <odi...@kc.rr.com>
wrote:

If a problem is less than 5 days old in win98 then restart the system
pressing the F8 key and choose Command prompt only Dos or restart in
Msdos mode and type scanreg/restore and try an older reg(cab
file)backup,however you may have to re-install some programs and user
changes if they were installed after this date.
You can type just scanreg and say,"Yes" if you want to make a fresh
registry back up.
You can then also type
scanreg/fix and then scanreg/opt to fix and compact the registry.You
can type win or exit from Msdos mode to get back to windows.
You can use the free WRP program off here to back up the registry as
well as it saves more files.
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/sheppard.p/freeprog.htm
HTH :O)

"The average life of electronic components is between zero and infinity,or 3 days after
the warranty runs out"
Free PC/Windows help
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/sheppard.p/trouble.htm
free music,