how to detect motherboard model and memory model

Troy Piggins

Apr 30, 2008, 9:09:48 PM4/30/08
To save myself the time and effort of opening up all the cases of
computers on my network, is there a windows command or some free
utility that can detect what model the motherboard (eg A7V600-X)
and/or the type of RAM (eg DDR400 or PC3200)? I need to upgrade
the RAM on all machines and need to know what types to purchase.

I've tried the following to no avail:

start->accessories->system tools->system information
and
my computer->properties
and
my computer->manage->device manager

Maybe I have overlooked it?

I seem to remember using a free version of Everest some time ago
and it did provide a lot of system information, but it doesn't
appear to be freeware any more.

--
Troy Piggins

M.Balarama

Apr 30, 2008, 11:12:35 PM4/30/08

"Troy Piggins" <usene...@piggo.com> wrote in message

Thsi might help-it did for me..
control panel- system -on the front page tells your motherboard-enter that
mother board on google and one of those groups will tell you what ram you
need
> Troy Piggins

Troy Piggins

Apr 30, 2008, 11:39:04 PM4/30/08

Tried that. It's the same program as "my computer->properties"
that I quoted above. Nothing on that "General" tab says anything
about motherboard.

--
Troy Piggins

Chuck Fiedler

Apr 30, 2008, 11:53:11 PM4/30/08
"Troy Piggins" <usene...@piggo.com> wrote in message
> To save myself the time and effort of opening up all the cases of
> computers on my network, is there a windows command or some free
> utility that can detect what model the motherboard (eg A7V600-X)
> and/or the type of RAM (eg DDR400 or PC3200)? I need to upgrade
> the RAM on all machines and need to know what types to purchase.

<SNIP>

Go to crucial.com. They have a method of testing what you have and
what you can add.

I have used them on a couple of machines. No need to do other than
have them sheck what you need. Their memory prices are also excellent.

Pretty cool.

Troy Piggins

May 1, 2008, 12:03:40 AM5/1/08

Thanks mate. That gave me what I wanted.

--
Troy Piggins

JG

May 1, 2008, 4:15:48 AM5/1/08

from Troy Piggins

> To save myself the time and effort of opening up all the cases of
> computers on my network, is there a windows command or some free
> utility that can detect what model the motherboard (eg A7V600-X)
> and/or the type of RAM (eg DDR400 or PC3200)? I need to upgrade
> the RAM on all machines and need to know what types to purchase.

Go to www.belarc.com and download their 'Adviser' (third item on the
bottom menu is 'Free Download') - tells you more than you'll want to
know.

JG

Troy Piggins

May 1, 2008, 7:59:35 AM5/1/08

Thanks mate. I'll look into it, but I've got what I need now.
Thanks again.

--
Troy Piggins