The Shining-Long version

Paul

Jun 11, 2001, 11:35:55 AM6/11/01
There are two versions of "The Shining".

Some years back Central TV in the UK aired Kubriks movie "The
Shining", and to my amazement it was a different version to the
theatrical or VHS release.
I have never heard this longer version discussed, or to my knowledge
has it ever been re broadcast. subsequent TV broadcasts have been of the
shorter cut.

Can anyone tell me anything about this cut, and if it will get a DVD
release?

Thanks

Paul

PS. This was not the made for TV version. This was the Kubrik Movie

napalm68

Jun 11, 2001, 3:16:40 PM6/11/01
The US version on DVD is the long one. The UK and Australian version is
about 25 min shorter. And the US version has just been remastered, so you
are in luck.

"Paul" <john...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Paul

Jun 11, 2001, 4:36:04 PM6/11/01
Thanks for the help,
I don't suppose you know anything of its history? Was the US theatrical
release 25 min longer than the European cut?
25 min is a huge chunk of film to be missing. Why hasn't the European
DVD release exploited the marketing potential of a "new, unseen!"
(etc.) version?

Paul

Chris Oxford

Jun 11, 2001, 11:22:27 PM6/11/01
According to www.imdb.com, the original US theatrical cut was trimmed 25
minutes for Europe (although I don't know why), and I guess all subsequent
video releases in Europe have been this same trimmed down version and not
the original US length....

"Paul" <john...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

ITS LEFTY

Jun 12, 2001, 3:35:37 AM6/12/01
When I saw it on opening day at Grauman's Chinese Theatre there was an entire
scene that is no longer in the movie where the Barry Sullivan character visits
Danny in the hospital after he and Shelly Duvall have been rescued. It was at
least five minutes long. Why don't they add that to the extras?

dbf

Jun 12, 2001, 4:54:39 AM6/12/01

So does this mean the UK DVD will be the complete US version or the trimmed
European version.

--
remove SPAMSUX from email address when replying

Bill

Jun 12, 2001, 5:50:36 AM6/12/01
From www.imdb.com:

a.. Director Stanley Kubrick withdrew and recut the movie about one week
after release, removing a scene at the end showing Wendy (Shelley Duvall) at
a hospital talking with the hotel manager (Barry Nelson): Stuart Ullman, the
hotel manager, tells Wendy that searchers have been unable to locate her
husband's body.

a.. The full-length version runs approx. 145 minutes and is the U.S.
theatrical version, available in the USA on VHS, DVD and laserdisc. The UK
and Australian video version, however, runs just under two hours (114),
omitting about half an hour of footage. British television network ITV
screened the full US version of The Shining during the late eighties. The
following is a list of all the scenes or parts of scenes not present in the
UK version of The Shining.

a.. The last line of dialogue (spoken by Wendy) in the kitchen scene, the
subsequent dissolve, Bill Watson's arrival to the interview (and all his
dialogue), Jack recounting his previous jobs and the reason for shutting the
Overlook in winter.

a.. After Danny's vision in the bathroom, the entire Doctor scene is removed
(making Anne Jackson's name in the opening credits a mystery), where Danny
discusses "Tony" and we discover Jack dislocated Danny's shoulder in a
moment of drunken rage, and joined the wagon afterwards.

a.. The scenes where Mr. Ullman shows Jack and Wendy around the Colorado
Lounge, when they walk outside the maze and when Dick Halloran shows Wendy
and Danny round the kitchens have been shortened, but not removed
completely.

a.. The scene where Jack, Wendy and the hotel managers first enter the Gold
Room and are introduced to Dick Halloran.

a.. The first shot of Wendy wheeling the breakfast trolley.

a.. The second half of Wendy and Jack's breakfast conversation where Jack
says how he feels he's been to the Overlook before.

a.. A shot from behind of Jack throwing the ball against the wall, the
subsequent dissolve and the line "Loser has to keep America clean, how's
that?" (8 seconds in all!)

a.. Wendy seeing the news and weather report on television in the kitchen
while preparing food.

a.. The title card "Thursday" and part of Wendy and Danny's snowfight.

a.. Wendy and Danny watching television in the Colorado Lounge.

a.. The scene where Wendy goes over her plan to leave the Overlook verbally
in their room and Danny gets possessed (?) by "Tony", sitting bolt upright
in bed.

a.. Halloran's third attempt at trying to contact them via the telephone and
County Office.

a.. The 8am title card.

a.. Halloran's question to the stewardess on the plane.

a.. A long shot from behind of Jack at the typewriter.

a.. Halloran's plane touching down and phoning his friend Larry to arrange
the rental of a Sno-cat.

a.. The scene where Danny watches Roadrunner (not actually on screen) and
Wendy goes to find Jack, taking a baseball bat, just before she goes to find
his manuscript.

a.. Wendy seeing skeletons in the Gold Room.

a.. Reportedly, Halloran's death scene as filmed is not the one we actually
see. The one filmed depicts a much longer, much more graphic death. In its
entirety, the scene lasts almost seventy seconds, and is full of gore.
Rather then just run up and hit him as seen in the released version, Jack
instead runs up, hits him in the back of the head. Halloran screams. Jack
pulls the ax back, and then slams the spike on the back of the ax into the
base of Halloran's spine. Halloran screams and recoils, and then Jack slams
the ax into his back and he falls down. Halloran rolls onto his back and is
looking up, and Jack starts to beat him with the ax before he "hears"
something and leaves (Halloran rolling onto his back before Jack beat him is
why in the uncut version we see Halloran on his back with blood when Wendy
finds him, rather then on his face like we see him fall).

a.. A version of the movie shown by A&E cuts out the entire scene where Jack
kisses the ghostly girl who emerges from the bathtub in infamous room 237.

Cheers,
Bill

Paul

Jun 12, 2001, 10:11:50 AM6/12/01
From what everyone has been posting here. It seems this movie is crying
out for a full restoration of the cuts made in both the UK, and the US
theatrical release.

This is just the sort of thing DVDs are about. As this is such an
important movie ,what do think the chances of this happening?

Paul

mike jackson

Jun 12, 2001, 12:20:46 PM6/12/01

Hmm, it may just be me, but I'd almost rather see the SHORTER version.
There's parts of "The Shining" that just drag by, but it sounds like the
international cut did nothing to alleviate that feeling. But then, my
favorite director is Tim Burton and I'm not a particular fan of Stanley
Kubrick, so there you go.

Mike Jackson
Editor & Webmaster, DVD Verdict
www.dvdverdict.com

Norman Wilner

Jun 12, 2001, 2:39:48 PM6/12/01
"Paul" <john...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Absolutely zero.

Kubrick made the cuts himself, and had unprecedented contractual control
over the film. The missing epilogue will never be reinstated.

Norm Wilner
Starweek Magazine
http://www.zap2it.com/movies/videodvd

WinningerR

Jun 12, 2001, 4:06:18 PM6/12/01

Apparently, Kubrick didn't like that sort of thing. He believed the films
should stand on their own and disliked the idea of commentaries, deleted scenes
and other "behind the scenes peaks" at the process. He deleted that scene for a
reason and I guess he preferred it gone.

WinningerR

Jun 12, 2001, 4:12:30 PM6/12/01
>>>Absolutely zero.

Kubrick made the cuts himself, and had unprecedented contractual control
over the film. The missing epilogue will never be reinstated.<<<

Not quite absolutely zero -- some day, someone might convince Kubrick's heirs
to release the missing material or allow the film to be re-edited -- but it is
a very remote possibility and certainly won't happen any time soon.

Douglas Bailey

Jun 12, 2001, 6:07:30 PM6/12/01
itsl...@aol.com wrote:

Kubrick's assistant, Leon Vitali, mentioned in an interview (I don't
remember which one) that most of the trims and other cut footage from
the films had been burnt at SK's request. This was supposedly done to
prevent any future tinkering with the editing of the films.

doug

--

--------------douglas bailey (trys...@ne.mediaone.net)--------------
please don't heed my shout; I'm relaxed in the undertow...