MBR error message

Morgoth's Curse <morgothscurse2002@nospam.yahoo.com>

Dec 12, 2014, 9:36:29 AM12/12/14
Hello! Does anyone know why Agent displays the error message
"Server yahoo rejected your username and password ([AUTH]
(#MBR100?))"? (I have already unsuccessfully searched for it via
Google and Yahoo.)

Morgoth's Curse

Stephen Wolstenholme

Dec 12, 2014, 10:20:31 AM12/12/14
On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 08:36:28 -0600, "Morgoth's Curse
<morgoths...@nospam.yahoo.com>"
Which is the Yahoo server usable with Agent?

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Morgoth's Curse

Dec 12, 2014, 10:51:37 AM12/12/14
On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 15:20:25 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme
<st...@easynn.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 08:36:28 -0600, "Morgoth's Curse
><morgoths...@nospam.yahoo.com>"
><morgoths...@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello! Does anyone know why Agent displays the error message
>>"Server yahoo rejected your username and password ([AUTH]
>>(#MBR100?))"? (I have already unsuccessfully searched for it via
>>Google and Yahoo.)
>>
>>Morgoth's Curse
>
>Which is the Yahoo server usable with Agent?

I am using pop.mail.yahoo.com [Port 995] for inbound mail and
smtp.mail.yahoo.com [Port 465] for outbound mail. I can access my
sbcglobal.net mailbox, but not my Yahoo mailboxes. (I can access my
Yahoo mail using a web browser, but not with Forte Agent.) I have not
changed any settings or installed any new programs except for the
Windows security updates, so I am at a loss to explain why this
occurs.
I upgraded to Forte Agent 8, but that did not solve the problem.
I also scanned my computer for errors and viruses and did not find
anything that could cause this problem.

Morgoth's Curse
Message has been deleted

Morgoth's Curse

Dec 13, 2014, 1:11:12 AM12/13/14
On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 22:27:50 +0000, Marc Wilson <ma...@cleopatra.co.uk>
wrote:

>In alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent, (Morgoth's Curse
><morgoths...@nospam.yahoo.com>) wrote in
><95vl8a9b2h6to8beq...@4ax.com>::
>The clue is in the question- the *server* doesn't like something you're
>sending. This is not an Agent problem.
>
>Agent has tried to connect using the credentials you've supplied, and
>the server has refused them.

Thank you.

>It's Yahoo, so it's possible that it's a transient problem.
>

>More concerning is the possibility that they've (yet again) been hacked,
>and someone has accessed your account and changed the password.

I changed the passwords to my accounts yesterday and that did not
help. To the best of my knowledge, Yahoo does not have customer
service so I don't know how to contact someone who might be able to
solve the problem.

Morgoth's Curse

Morgoth's Curse

Dec 13, 2014, 1:30:52 PM12/13/14
wrote:

>The clue is in the question- the *server* doesn't like something you're
>sending. This is not an Agent problem.

Incidentally, the reason why I thought it is a problem with Agent
is because it only occurs when I use Agent. I can check my Yahoo mail
if I use a web browser such as Firefox or Opera, but not with Agent.
If it was the password or the server, then I should not be able to
access my e-mail at all.

Morgoth's Curse

Ralph Fox

Dec 13, 2014, 4:07:31 PM12/13/14
It is quite probably a communication problem between Yahoo's POP mail
server and Yahoo's authentication server which holds your password
and validates your login.

Agent retrieves your email from a POP mail server. Your web browser
reads your email from an HTTP server which is not the same server as
the POP mail server.

FYI here are three reports of the same problem using other mail clients
with Yahoo
* https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20131230071121AAeBeWj
* http://www.winboard.org/outlook-express/153015-beim-abrufversuch-wird-kennwort-zurueckgewiesen.html#post1188656
-- in German; to translate to English --> http://goo.gl/YVeb7f
* http://forum.mql4.com/60983/page19#916145

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Morgoth's Curse

Dec 14, 2014, 9:19:44 AM12/14/14
On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 12:35:54 +0000, Marc Wilson <ma...@cleopatra.co.uk>
wrote:

>In alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent, (Morgoth's Curse) wrote in
><g81p8ah1t860vmf0s...@4ax.com>::
>They're not using the same mechanism to access the emails. If you're
>using a browser, you're accessing a webmail "wrapper" round the
>mailstore.
>
>When you're accessing with Agent, you're accessing a POP3 "wrapper",
>probably on a non-standard port.
>
>Check your settings again (or even remove them and start fresh).
>
>https://uk.help.yahoo.com/kb/enable-pop-access-sln22038.html

I enabled POP on all accounts and used the settings that you
recommended and I still got two error messages.

"Server yahoo rejected your username and password ([AUTH]
(#MBR100))"

and

Server yahoo rejected your username and password (5.7.0
(#MBR100))"

Morgoth's Curse

Morgoth's Curse

Dec 15, 2014, 11:32:06 PM12/15/14
On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 08:19:45 -0600, Morgoth's Curse
<morgoths...@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

> I enabled POP on all accounts and used the settings that you
>recommended and I still got two error messages.
>
>"Server yahoo rejected your username and password ([AUTH]
>(#MBR100))"
>
>and
>
>Server yahoo rejected your username and password (5.7.0
>(#MBR100))"

Can anyone direct me to a site where I might seek further
assistance? I cannot find any specific Yahoo Usenet newsgroups and
Yahoo answers is useless. (Half of the answers were at least two
years old and occasionally six or seven years old.) I have tried
every suggestion that you have thoughtfully provided and still cannot
access my Yahoo mail through Agent.

Morgoth's Curse

Morgoth's Curse <morgothscurse2002@nospam.yahoo.com>

Dec 28, 2014, 2:43:52 AM12/28/14
On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 22:32:05 -0600, Morgoth's Curse
Yahoo Customer Care on Facebook refused to answer my questions
and Yahoo seems to have eliminated all human customer service
representatives. Does anyone have any other potential solutions?

Morgoth's Curse
Message has been deleted

Morgoth's Curse <morgothscurse2002@nospam.yahoo.com>

Dec 30, 2014, 3:35:50 AM12/30/14
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 19:46:06 -0500, Arno Martens
<sne...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>My first resort, unless it is an Agent specific problem is Google.
>Type the question in plain English into the search box.
>
>Usually, within the first 3 returns there is something to open and dig
>further.

* sigh *

I try What does #MBR100 mean?

https://www.google.com/#q=what+does+%23mbr100+mean

8 results (none of which had anything to do with my problem.)

I type "Server yahoo rejected your username and password ([AUTH]
(#MBR100?))"

http://tinyurl.com/ono9ajp

111 results. (Ironically, the first page of results points to this
thread in which no one has been able to tell me exactly what is
wrong.)

I type ([AUTH] (#MBR100))

http://tinyurl.com/ono9ajp

16 results. The only two that are relevant is Yahoo answers (dated
five years ago) and a site in German. I cannot read German and Google
will not translate the site so I have no idea what it may say.

I enter "yahoo authentication error"

830,000 results.

I am convinced that the ([AUTH] (#MBR100)) is the key to the solution,
but I cannot find anyone who can tell me exactly what it means. I
repeat that Yahoo does not have human customer service representatives
and Yahoo Customer Care at Facebook refuses to answer questions.

My best guess at this time is that it may have something to do with
Yahoo's decision to alter the DMARC (Domain-based Message
Authentication, Reporting and Conformance), but it is only an
uneducated guess.

https://wordtothewise.com/2014/04/brief-dmarc-primer/

I realize that this is not an Agent problem per se, but if the DMARC
is indeed the problem, then a lot of other Agent users may eventually
experience it.

Morgoth's Curse

pe...@never.here

Dec 30, 2014, 7:49:13 AM12/30/14
FWIW as I don't use Agent for email. You say you can access yahoo mai
via a web browser but have you tried another email client?

I use "Sylpheed" http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/

Same settings as you but with ".co.uk" not ".com". I have it set to
leave mail on server for 7 days and I can receive my mail without
problem.

It might be worth experimenting. If it works with "sylpheed" it looks
like an Agent problem, if it doesn't then Yahoo gets the blame.

HTH

--
Pete

Ralph Fox

Dec 30, 2014, 12:54:14 PM12/30/14

Wrong tinyurl link for this search. Try http://tinyurl.com/pqpz3do

> 16 results. The only two that are relevant is Yahoo answers (dated
> five years ago) and a site in German. I cannot read German and Google
> will not translate the site so I have no idea what it may say.

Google Translate works well for me. I cannot replicate Morgoth's
Curse's statement, "Google will not translate the site".

* The German link is the same as the second link in my previous post
in this thread, news:f7ap8a5c07sihgci1...@4ax.com .
* My previous post also had a direct link to the translation,
http://goo.gl/YVeb7f .
* I have just re-verified that the direct link works and gives the
translation to me.

FYI the link goes to a forum thread which says "Solved" [English
translation].

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Morgoth's Curse <morgothscurse2002@nospam.yahoo.com>

Jan 1, 2015, 2:51:47 PM1/1/15
On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 06:54:20 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 02:35:47 -0600, Morgoth's Curse <morgoths...@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I type ([AUTH] (#MBR100))
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/ono9ajp
>

>Wrong tinyurl link for this search. Try http://tinyurl.com/pqpz3do

Thank you. I mistakenly posted the same URL twice.

>> 16 results. The only two that are relevant is Yahoo answers (dated
>> five years ago) and a site in German. I cannot read German and Google
>> will not translate the site so I have no idea what it may say.
>

>Google Translate works well for me. I cannot replicate Morgoth's
>Curse's statement, "Google will not translate the site".

I was using Mozilla Firefox and the entire screen beneath the Google
logo was blank and that was what I was referring to when I said that
Google would not translate it. Firefox does not always play nicely
with Google so I should have used another browser.

> * The German link is the same as the second link in my previous post
> in this thread, news:f7ap8a5c07sihgci1...@4ax.com .
> * My previous post also had a direct link to the translation,
> http://goo.gl/YVeb7f .
> * I have just re-verified that the direct link works and gives the
> translation to me.
>

>FYI the link goes to a forum thread which says "Solved" [English
>translation].

I switched to Opera and viewed the translation, but I still can't
figure out what that person did or what the source of the problem was.
I quote:

"The password with which I signed always without problems in Yahoo,
but with the emails were not retrieve Outlook Express, I have changed.
The new password is now finally both."

My response is basically: "Huh?"

As I noted earlier in this thread, I changed the passwords to my
Yahoo accounts and that did not help. And I _still_ do not know
exactly what MBR#100 means.

Morgoth's Curse

Ralph Fox

Jan 1, 2015, 3:02:46 PM1/1/15
On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 13:51:45 -0600, Morgoth's Curse <morgoths...@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> 16 results. The only two that are relevant is Yahoo answers (dated
> >> five years ago) and a site in German. I cannot read German and Google
> >> will not translate the site so I have no idea what it may say.
> >

> >Google Translate works well for me. I cannot replicate Morgoth's
> >Curse's statement, "Google will not translate the site".
>
> I was using Mozilla Firefox and the entire screen beneath the Google
> logo was blank and that was what I was referring to when I said that
> Google would not translate it. Firefox does not always play nicely
> with Google so I should have used another browser.

Strange. I use Mozilla Firefox 34.0.5 and Google translate works for me.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Morgoth's Curse <morgothscurse2002@nospam.yahoo.com>

Jan 1, 2015, 3:32:24 PM1/1/15
On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 12:49:11 +0000, pe...@never.here wrote:

>It might be worth experimenting. If it works with "sylpheed" it looks
>like an Agent problem, if it doesn't then Yahoo gets the blame.
>
>HTH

Thank you. I downloaded and tested Sylpheed and got the same
error message. The problem must lie with Yahoo which means that I am
royally screwed since there is no way to contact Yahoo. :(

Morgoth's Curse

pe...@never.here

Jan 2, 2015, 6:54:46 AM1/2/15
On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 14:32:23 -0600, "Morgoth's Curse
<morgoths...@nospam.yahoo.com>"
What I didn't say is that I'm using Linux mint 17 not any version of
Windows. Windows firewall or something similar causing a problem?

One other suggestion fwiw. As you can access your yahoo account via a
web browser change the mail setting to "forwarding" sending it to
another email address - maybe your sbcglobal.net mailbox. Can you
retrieve your mail now? Does this make a difference?

Settings>accounts>yahoo account>edit>Access your Yahoo Mail elsewhere

HTH
--
Pete

Message has been deleted

Morgoth's Curse <morgothscurse2002@nospam.yahoo.com>

Jan 3, 2015, 10:43:36 AM1/3/15
On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 17:26:39 -0600, G. Morgan
<seal...@osama-is-dead.net> wrote:

>Morgoth's Curse <morgoths...@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>Reset your password using the alternate email address or phone/text 2nd
>factor auth.

Can someone please translate this for me? :)

Which password are you referring to and what is a 2nd factor auth? (I
already noted earlier in this thread that I changed my passwords and
that it had no effect.)

Incidentally, I have definitely confirmed that Agent is not the
problem. It occurred to me that the upgrade to 8.0 may have been a
factor so I tried accessing my e-mail via a backup copy of Agent 7.2
and received the same error message.

I am also investigating the possibility of whether my router might be
involved. I am using an AT & T Motorola NVG510 wireless router that
my ISP foisted on me, but I see that it has terrible reviews at Amazon
so it might be worthwhile to replace it with a superior model. On the
other hand, I should think that I would be unable to access the
Internet at all if the router was the problem. I will let you know
whether that solves the problem.

Morgoth's Curse

Jeff Zeitlin

Jan 3, 2015, 11:04:12 AM1/3/15
<seal...@osama-is-dead.net> wrote:

>Morgoth's Curse <morgoths...@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>Reset your password using the alternate email address or phone/text 2nd
>factor auth.

I've been seeing this message on-and-off with Yahoo! recently; it tends
to be transient. I've been just waiting it out, and eventually - usually
within hours, rather than days, it clears up by itself. (I suspect that
the POP server name they give you is actually a load-balancer that
redirects you to one of a number of other servers, and one of those
servers is screwed up.) I don't try to screw with passwords, or servers,
or what-have-you; it's a long-known bug that Yahoo! has no real interest
in fixing (because if you're POPping your mail, you're not using their
ad-festooned web interface, so they're not selling your eyes and
clicks). At most, I cancel the task, and maybe disconnect and reconnect
if I'm on public wi-fi, and that often seems to clear it up (which is
why I suspect that it's a load-balancer directing to a server that's
screwed up).
--
Jeff Zeitlin
jzeitl...@spamcop.net

Roger

Jan 3, 2015, 3:32:26 PM1/3/15
On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 09:51:37 -0600, Morgoth's Curse
<morgoths...@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am using pop.mail.yahoo.com [Port 995] for inbound mail and
>smtp.mail.yahoo.com [Port 465] for outbound mail.

At risk of sounding insulting you've told us the servers you are
using but, unless I've missed a message, not the other Agent
settings you have entered. For example, which login method have
you selected? Have you entered your full email address? Or just
the part before the @ ?

Something I seem to remember from years ago: setting up some-
thing with a mixed case password but having that password
rejected. It turned out that they (can't remember who) had
converted the password to all lower case letters (daft, eh?)
and when it was entered thus it was accepted. I hope nothing
like that still happens but it might be worth a try.
--
Roger
Message has been deleted

Ralph Fox

Jan 3, 2015, 9:03:01 PM1/3/15
> I don't either... that's not a standard POP error message.

The full POP error message will be like one of these

-ERR [AUTH] (#MBR100)
-ERR [AUTH] (#MBR100) Please verify your account by going to https://login.yahoo.com

The "-ERR" is a standard POP error response indicator.
The #MBR100 is part of the optional additional information.

The OP has not given us the full POP error message, but what the Agent
error pop-up says. Unfortunately the Agent error pop-up no longer
gives the full error including the POP/SMTP/NNTP error status code,
which means people asking for help don't always get the right help.

To get the full POP error message, one may have to open the "Task
Manager" window ("Tools >> Task Manager") and look through the errors
in the bottom pane (the errors pane).

> No hits on
> the search engines.

According to the original post, the error said #MBR100 not MBR#100.
There _are_ hits on the search engines for #MBR100. The relevant
hits are all from people with the same problem (using various
other mail clients).

For some hits, see http://tinyurl.com/pqpz3do

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Ralph Fox

Jan 3, 2015, 9:29:24 PM1/3/15
On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 20:19:00 -0600, G. Morgan wrote:

> >The "-ERR" is a standard POP error response indicator.
> >The #MBR100 is part of the optional additional information.
>
> Yahoo's own code?

That is what I think it is.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Ralph Fox

Jan 3, 2015, 9:37:12 PM1/3/15
On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 20:20:08 -0600, G. Morgan wrote:

> BTW.. did Agent ever implement IMAP yet?

No.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

big...@okenfay.com

Jan 13, 2015, 3:57:03 AM1/13/15
On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 2:06:18 PM UTC+1, pilgrim wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 18:14:05 +0000, Marc Wilson <ma...@cleopatra.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >In alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent, (Jeff Zeitlin) wrote in
> ><6d4gaa5vsolbm7g8b...@4ax.com>::
> >Could be one corrupted authentication server in a server pool...
>
> Some user...@yahoo.com addresses have been changed to user...@att.net addresses. Could this
> have happened to you?

I had the same POP3 error since December, and I just found the solution :
- Setup the second signup confirmation in your yahoo profile (http://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_profile). I think from now they will send a SMS every time you want to access the webmail.
- then setup an app pasword for your POP3 application (you'll be asked to do it at the end of the previous step)
- use that app password as your POP3 password
- et voilà, it worked for me.

Morgoth's Curse <morgothscurse2002@nospam.yahoo.com>

Jan 13, 2015, 10:07:20 AM1/13/15
On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 00:57:02 -0800 (PST), big...@okenfay.com wrote:

>I had the same POP3 error since December, and I just found the solution :
>- Setup the second signup confirmation in your yahoo profile (http://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_profile). I think from now they will send a SMS every time you want to access the webmail.
>- then setup an app pasword for your POP3 application (you'll be asked to do it at the end of the previous step)
>- use that app password as your POP3 password
>- et voilą, it worked for me.

Thank you. I appreciate your help, but I cannot implement that
solution since I am deaf and do not own a mobile phone. (It is yet
another example in which I am penalized for my deafness.) Are there
any alternatives or techniques to circumvent this problem?

Morgoth's Curse
Message has been deleted

pe...@never.here

Jan 14, 2015, 4:21:27 AM1/14/15
On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 09:07:21 -0600, "Morgoth's Curse
<morgoths...@nospam.yahoo.com>"
<morgoths...@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 00:57:02 -0800 (PST), big...@okenfay.com wrote:
>
>>I had the same POP3 error since December, and I just found the solution :
>>- Setup the second signup confirmation in your yahoo profile (http://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_profile). I think from now they will send a SMS every time you want to access the webmail.
>>- then setup an app pasword for your POP3 application (you'll be asked to do it at the end of the previous step)
>>- use that app password as your POP3 password
>>- et voilà, it worked for me.
>
> Thank you. I appreciate your help, but I cannot implement that
>solution since I am deaf and do not own a mobile phone. (It is yet
>another example in which I am penalized for my deafness.) Are there
>any alternatives or techniques to circumvent this problem?
>
>Morgoth's Curse

Just curious, did you try my suggestionearlier in the thread about
using "mail forwarding"? Did it make any difference?

--
Pete