agent says folder is full

Robert

Apr 4, 2012, 4:51:52 AM4/4/12

I'm using Agent 6 and it stopped yesterday with the message that the
folder was full. What does this mean? Is the folder only able to hold
so many gigabytes? Is this a limitation of Agent or a limitation of
Windows file system?

Is it the headers that use up the space or the bodies? It was a
binaries newsgroup but I thought I had agent set to remove attachments
from the bodies once they were saved as attachments.

TIA

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Apr 4, 2012, 5:04:38 AM4/4/12
[Default] On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 09:51:52 +0100, Robert
Hi Robert,

It's most likely the bodies, but could be the headers. Look through
the notes in the Agent FAQ for this error message - as well as tips it
has pointers to where to check your settings to make sure you are
saving and removing.

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#C5F3A99C103F986185256C49000427B9

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"I have an asteroid named after me. Isaac Asimov's got one too.
It's smaller and more eccentric." -- Arthur C. Clarke

h...@h-gee.co.uk

Apr 4, 2012, 9:14:25 AM4/4/12
On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 09:51:52 +0100, Robert <rob...@locumpoint.com> wrote:

Depends how big you disc or partition is but on a 32 bit machine there is a limit - forget
what it is but Ralph can help here.

Hugh of Bognor

--
I used to be an Egotistical Megalomaniac - but now I'm just perfect!

Hugh Gundersen
h...@h-gee.co.uk

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK

Flatlander

Apr 6, 2012, 3:11:50 PM4/6/12
On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 14:14:25 +0100, h...@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 09:51:52 +0100, Robert <rob...@locumpoint.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using Agent 6 and it stopped yesterday with the message that the
>> folder was full. What does this mean? Is the folder only able to hold
>> so many gigabytes? Is this a limitation of Agent or a limitation of
>> Windows file system?
>>
>> Is it the headers that use up the space or the bodies? It was a
>> binaries newsgroup but I thought I had agent set to remove attachments
>> from the bodies once they were saved as attachments.
>>
>> TIA
>
>Depends how big you disc or partition is but on a 32 bit machine there is a limit - forget
>what it is but Ralph can help here.
>
>Hugh of Bognor

It's 8GB. Empty the trash and then compact all folders. This may
need to be an iterative thing, because the trash folder also has an
8GB limit. That means you usually can't delete a full folder to trash
all in one deletion cycle. And it will take a while.

Ken Blake

Apr 6, 2012, 4:57:43 PM4/6/12
On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 14:11:50 -0500, Flatlander <flatla...@cox.net>
wrote:

> >> I'm using Agent 6 and it stopped yesterday with the message that the
> >> folder was full. What does this mean? Is the folder only able to hold
> >> so many gigabytes? Is this a limitation of Agent or a limitation of
> >> Windows file system?
> >>
> >> Is it the headers that use up the space or the bodies? It was a
> >> binaries newsgroup but I thought I had agent set to remove attachments
> >> from the bodies once they were saved as attachments.
> >>
> >> TIA
> >
> >Depends how big you disc or partition is but on a 32 bit machine there is a limit - forget
> >what it is but Ralph can help here.
> >
> >Hugh of Bognor
>
> It's 8GB. Empty the trash and then compact all folders. This may
> need to be an iterative thing, because the trash folder also has an
> 8GB limit. That means you usually can't delete a full folder to trash
> all in one deletion cycle. And it will take a while.

Are you saying that there is a maximum size of 8GB in a folder? That
is not correct. Whether it's 32-bit Windows or 64-bit Windows doesn't
matter. The limit on a folder is the same as the limit on a partition.
The FAT32 limit is 65,534 files (and each can be up to 4GB in size)
and the NTFS limit is 4 billion files (and each can be up to 16TB).

--
Ken Blake

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Apr 6, 2012, 5:16:29 PM4/6/12
[Default] On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 13:57:43 -0700, Ken Blake
<kbl...@kb.invalid> wrote:

>> >Depends how big you disc or partition is but on a 32 bit machine there is a limit - forget
>> >what it is but Ralph can help here.
>> >
>> >Hugh of Bognor
>>
>> It's 8GB. Empty the trash and then compact all folders. This may
>> need to be an iterative thing, because the trash folder also has an
>> 8GB limit. That means you usually can't delete a full folder to trash
>> all in one deletion cycle. And it will take a while.
>

>Are you saying that there is a maximum size of 8GB in a folder?

An Agent folder, not a Windows folder.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"I did not attend his funeral, but I wrote a nice letter saying
I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Ken Blake

Apr 6, 2012, 5:41:25 PM4/6/12
Ah, OK. Sorry to have misunderstood you.

--
Ken Blake

Powuh2d...@teaparty.us

Apr 9, 2012, 8:58:40 AM4/9/12
On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 09:51:52 +0100, Robert <rob...@locumpoint.com>
wrote:

Several years ago I had the same problem. Then someone suggested
messages last 30 days and delete automatically. I've never had a
memory problem since then.

For the posts I want to keep I lock them so when the auto delete
occurs, the ones marked with the lock stay.

I forget where the setting is maybe someone else...

Robert

Apr 9, 2012, 3:46:46 PM4/9/12
On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 10:04:38 +0100, Jaimie Vandenbergh
<jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

>http://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#C5F3A99C103F986185256C49000427B9

Thank you. I had searched the help file but I had not found this. How
did you find it?

The problem has been caused by me not setting agent to purge posts. I
like to keep the messages until they expire from the server but server
retentions are getting longer these days!

The URL suggests setting agent to purge after seven days and even
suggests 2 or 3 days might be enough. I can't see how 2 or 3 days
would be enough unless you were reading only a small number of
newsgroups and reading them several times a day. I'm sure I often read
posts that are over a week old, and sometimes if you have a question
there's an old post where someone has asked it before, so I will set a
longer period I think.

Thanks for your help.

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Apr 9, 2012, 4:38:44 PM4/9/12
[Default] On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 20:46:46 +0100, Robert
<rob...@locumpoint.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 10:04:38 +0100, Jaimie Vandenbergh
><jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>>http://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#C5F3A99C103F986185256C49000427B9
>
>Thank you. I had searched the help file but I had not found this. How
>did you find it?

I'd read the FAQ long ago! And it really is a FAQ.

>The problem has been caused by me not setting agent to purge posts. I
>like to keep the messages until they expire from the server but server
>retentions are getting longer these days!

They are - particularly text groups, which take up essentially no
space.

>The URL suggests setting agent to purge after seven days and even
>suggests 2 or 3 days might be enough. I can't see how 2 or 3 days
>would be enough unless you were reading only a small number of
>newsgroups and reading them several times a day. I'm sure I often read
>posts that are over a week old, and sometimes if you have a question
>there's an old post where someone has asked it before, so I will set a
>longer period I think.

I think the recommendations are generally for binary newsgroups, where
you'd usually grab headers, scan for things you want, then get'em. No
point keeping an archive of the stuff you don't want, so set them to
expire ASAP.

Text groups are a different thing, and that's why there are folder
schemes - you can set up the Binaries scheme to expire quick, and the
Text scheme to expire slow.

>Thanks for your help.

No probs.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"If I'd been the Green Goblin, I'd have got a big bath and lured
Spiderman into it, and being a spider he wouldn't have been able