Any useful filters for this group?

Terry Pinnell

Mar 29, 2013, 5:39:51 AM3/29/13
Anyone here using alt.comp.freeware, with useful filters to share please?

I'm an occasional user, but it has become almost unreadable these days. My
attempts with Author and Subject filters have been largely ineffective, or
generating negative 'baby with bath water results. But I'm not skilled
with filters and I'm hoping there may be some existing useful ones created
by experts.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

h...@h-gee.co.uk

Mar 29, 2013, 6:44:48 AM3/29/13
can send you all the help and filter files I have but AGENT tells me I
can't as it appears to be a "mail bomb".

I'll see if I can export them as txt files and zip them for you unless
Ralph has an alternative solution

Hugh of Bognor

--
I used to be an Egotistical Megalomaniac - but now I'm just perfect!

Hugh Gundersen
h...@h-gee.co.uk

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK

h...@h-gee.co.uk

Mar 29, 2013, 7:02:10 AM3/29/13
On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:39:51 +0000, Terry Pinnell
<terry...@DELETEgmail.com> wrote:

Sent you direct all the help files I have kept also attached here for
others to have if needed thanks a lot to Ralph.
Help Files.txt

Terry Pinnell

Mar 29, 2013, 7:59:50 AM3/29/13
h...@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:39:51 +0000, Terry Pinnell
><terry...@DELETEgmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone here using alt.comp.freeware, with useful filters to share please?
>>
>> I'm an occasional user, but it has become almost unreadable these days. My
>> attempts with Author and Subject filters have been largely ineffective, or
>> generating negative 'baby with bath water results. But I'm not skilled
>> with filters and I'm hoping there may be some existing useful ones created
>> by experts.
>

>can send you all the help and filter files I have but AGENT tells me I
>can't as it appears to be a "mail bomb".
>
>I'll see if I can export them as txt files and zip them for you unless
>Ralph has an alternative solution
>
>Hugh of Bognor

Thanks Hugh. I'll study those, although I am hoping to get a filter for
this specific task that I can apply with little effort!

I know I should start fro first principles (and re-learn what little I
once knew about Agent's filters), but so many other pressing projects on
the list..
Message has been deleted

Terry Pinnell

Mar 29, 2013, 12:10:58 PM3/29/13
FredW <fr...@blackholespam.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:39:51 +0000, Terry Pinnell
><terry...@DELETEgmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Anyone here using alt.comp.freeware, with useful filters to share please?
>
>I have my own set of filters made over time.
>Maybe you should read this message of John Corliss very carefully:
> "(OT) Attention new people: How to filter out most of forgeries and
>trolling when reading this group."
>
>He sends this from time to time.
>(I have John Corliss himself killfiled as "Mark Read")
>
>The first thing for you is to killfile anything from Author: "b7r7tn"
>That helps a lot.
>
>Via a preprocessor before Agent I have killfiled all messages from and
>answers to "Bear Bottom" or any similar name.
>(and of course "b7r7tn")
>Messages of cats (and some other creatures) are also deleted by me
>before reading.
>
>For me that helped a lot.
>
>For the rest I am very sorry, but you will have to develop your own
>Usenet filters depending on what (or better said WHO) you find annoying.
>
>Good luck, alt.comp.freeware can be very nice when you apply the proper
>(for you) filters (don't be afraid to filter more and more).

Thanks Fred, I'll experiment along those lines.

Don Kirkman

Mar 29, 2013, 3:17:25 PM3/29/13
On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 13:45:37 +0100, FredW <fr...@blackholespam.net>
wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:39:51 +0000, Terry Pinnell
><terry...@DELETEgmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Anyone here using alt.comp.freeware, with useful filters to share please?
>
>I have my own set of filters made over time.
>Maybe you should read this message of John Corliss very carefully:
> "(OT) Attention new people: How to filter out most of forgeries and
>trolling when reading this group."
>
>He sends this from time to time.
>(I have John Corliss himself killfiled as "Mark Read")
>
>The first thing for you is to killfile anything from Author: "b7r7tn"
>That helps a lot.
>
>Via a preprocessor before Agent I have killfiled all messages from and
>answers to "Bear Bottom" or any similar name.
>(and of course "b7r7tn")
>Messages of cats (and some other creatures) are also deleted by me
>before reading.
>
>For me that helped a lot.
>
>For the rest I am very sorry, but you will have to develop your own
>Usenet filters depending on what (or better said WHO) you find annoying.
>
>Good luck, alt.comp.freeware can be very nice when you apply the proper
>(for you) filters (don't be afraid to filter more and more).

I second that. I learn a lot about software behavior before I decide
whether to give a try, along with of getting notices of
updates/revisions/newly developed programs. I've killfiled several
acf users; others I "Ignore" from the daily header download--it's very
quick.
--
Don Kirkman
don...@charter.net

s|b

Mar 29, 2013, 2:35:57 PM3/29/13
On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:39:51 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> Anyone here using alt.comp.freeware, with useful filters to share please?

I'm not very skilled at filters either, but simple filters are effective
as well imho. I use Ignore Thread and I've set up a View that doesn't
show ignored postings.

Author: Bear Bottoms | Message-ID: bearbottoms1gmaicom | Subject:
Bottoms

Author: Bear

Subject: ACFy

message-id: {news\.cn99\.com} | {\.googlegroups\.com} | {<.*@rip.ax.lt>}

Subject: =%{[^a-z]+}

Author: Hrrah

Author: MiniMouse <Mini...@invalid.net>

Author: Nicodemus <Ancient...@Heaven.net>

Author: Nicodemus <Ancient...@Heaven.Net>

Author: Anonymous <nor...@tophat.at>

Author: Anonymous <anon...@foto.nl1.torservers.net>

(I should change this to author: anonymous)

Author: p00h the kat | pooh | the cat | the kat | p-0'0-h the cat

Author: Bell Bottoms

Author: Nomen Nescio <nob...@dizum.com>

I don't care much for John Corliss's list. In fact, I have his OT
postings in a kill filter as well.

--
s|b

Nicetameetya

Mar 29, 2013, 8:04:06 PM3/29/13

[Default] On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:39:51 +0000, Terry Pinnell
<terry...@DELETEgmail.com> declared to all and sundry:
If you're talking about Pooh, Minimouse, Nicodemus and their various
sockpuppets, then I've had great success following the recommendations
of John Corliss and Ron May (RIP) in acf.

You can also use nFilter and configure by following this advice from
Ralph Fox to filter out any and all posts from the server used by
trolls:

> [Default] On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 19:48:54 +1200, Ralph Fox
> <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> declared to all and sundry:

<snip>

When you configure the filter to identify the server, use a
server-added header such as Injection-Info or X-Trace. Do NOT use
Organization which is a user-controlled header. It would be a gross
mistake to think that Organization was a reliable way for a filter to
identify the server.

To identify posts through Mixmin, your nFilter filter should use
Injection-Info:*.mixmin.*
and NOT Organization:*mixmin*

* * * * * * *

Here's the message ID for the entire thread:

Terry Pinnell

Mar 30, 2013, 3:23:56 AM3/30/13
Thanks all, good stuff. I'm making progress now - looks a lot tidier!

Terry Pinnell

Mar 30, 2013, 3:29:55 AM3/30/13
"s|b" <m...@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>Author: Bear Bottoms | Message-ID: bearbottoms1gmaicom | Subject:
>Bottoms
>
>message-id: {news\.cn99\.com} | {\.googlegroups\.com} | {<.*@rip.ax.lt>}

I get an error message that filtering on message-id is not allowed?

Nick Spalding

Mar 30, 2013, 4:07:29 AM3/30/13
Terry Pinnell wrote, in <515dl8tjaelsf4jih...@4ax.com>
on Sat, 30 Mar 2013 07:29:55 +0000:

> "s|b" <m...@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>
> >Author: Bear Bottoms | Message-ID: bearbottoms1gmaicom | Subject:
> >Bottoms
> >
> >message-id: {news\.cn99\.com} | {\.googlegroups\.com} | {<.*@rip.ax.lt>}
>
> I get an error message that filtering on message-id is not allowed?

True for your version, it appeared in V5.
--
Nick Spalding
IE8, Vista Home Premium SP2, 32 bit, Intel Viiv dual core