Agent won't download ang NG messages after early this morning

David Probett

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
Can someone send me an e-mail. please on how to make Agent start to
collect some messages from NG's.

My ISP says that they have no problems. Agent will pick up all old
messages prior to about 05:00 21-Aug, but nothing else. E-mail is Ok.
Agent appears to be posting messages to NG's but I cannot them
retrieve them.

It's all very odd. HAve I done something to it?

Any help appreciated

David Probett

davidp...@pobox.com

pls.se...@my.sig

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 12:22:32 GMT, davidp...@pobox.com (David
Probett) wrote:

>HAve I done something to it?

One common cause of the symptom ("get new" suddenly stopped working in
some [or all] groups but the newsreader in the browser shows lots of
new messages) is that the server has re-numbered its articles in such
a way that current article numbers are lower than the article numbers
[Free] Agent has already downloaded from that server.

The cure is to do a "get all" or a "sample" _with_ the 'update record'
option or a "catch up" in every group; all of those have the effect of
synchronizing the article numbers in your [Free] Agent database with
the new state of the server. The first gets all articles currently
available (duh); the second limits headers retrieved to the number or
date range you specify ('date range' is usually much slower); the last
retrieves no messages at all. Whichever of those methods you choose,
messages still in your local database will not be duplicated.
--
JimB [mailto:JLBr...@worldnet.att.net.gov] The best .gov is no .gov.
[Free] Agent FAQs, Tips & Utils: http://home.att.net/~JLBradley/LANCE3.HTM