=SDC= Q26: The second math(s) question

Jerry Friedman

Aug 31, 2008, 4:36:44 PM8/31/08
SDC Q26: The second math(s) question

If 50+40=70, what's 20+10?

--
Jerry Friedman

Mark Brader

Aug 31, 2008, 6:59:11 PM8/31/08
Jerry Friedman:

> If 50+40=70, what's 20+10?

I don't know. But if 10+50=40, what's 20+10?
--
Mark Brader | "'Settlor', (i) in relation to a testamentary trust,
Toronto | means the individual referred to in paragraph (i)."

Hatunen

Aug 31, 2008, 9:46:53 PM8/31/08
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:36:44 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Friedman
<je...@totally-official.com> wrote:

>SDC Q26: The second math(s) question
>
>If 50+40=70, what's 20+10?

30

Reminds me of the old joke sometimes attributed to Abraham
Lincoln:

First man. If we call a tail a leg, how many legs does a dog
have?

Second man. Five

First man. No, four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it one.

--
************* DAVE HATUNEN (hat...@cox.net) *************

Paul Wolff

Sep 1, 2008, 7:25:35 AM9/1/08
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote

>Jerry Friedman:
>> If 50+40=70, what's 20+10?
>
>I don't know. But if 10+50=40, what's 20+10?

30
--
Paul
xxx

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 1, 2008, 12:25:47 PM9/1/08

I think Paul is right, and the "xxx" in his sig may indicate that it's
for the same reason: L + XL = LXX, so XX + X = XXX
--
athel

R H Draney

Sep 1, 2008, 12:35:11 PM9/1/08
Jerry Friedman filted:

>SDC Q26: The second math(s) question
>
>If 50+40=70, what's 20+10?

Overtipping....r

--
Evelyn Wood just looks at the pictures.

Cora Fuchs

Sep 1, 2008, 4:08:57 PM9/1/08

If that's not the Totally Official answer, it should at least be
sheepworthy!

Jitze

Sep 1, 2008, 5:48:17 PM9/1/08
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 18:25:47 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden
<athe...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

But L+XL = LLX, not LXX as claimed here...

Jitze

Paul Wolff

Sep 1, 2008, 5:34:59 PM9/1/08
Athel Cornish-Bowden <athe...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote

Athel is right that my generous kisses were thirty. But those were in
reply to Mark's variation, X + XL, not L + XL. I can't do it for this
latter letter litter.
--
Paul

Mark Brader

Sep 1, 2008, 11:00:54 PM9/1/08
Jerry Friedman:

Mark Brader:

Paul Wolff:
>>> 30

Yes.

Athel Cornish-Bowden:

>> I think Paul is right, and the "xxx" in his sig may indicate that it's

>> for the same reason: L + XL = LXX, so ...

Huh?

Jitze Couperus:
> But L+XL = LLX ...

Huh?
--
Mark Brader "People with whole brains, however, dispute
Toronto this claim, and are generally more articulate

Rich Ragan

Sep 2, 2008, 12:20:21 AM9/2/08
Mark Brader wrote:
> Jerry Friedman:
>
> Mark Brader:
>
> Paul Wolff:
>
> Yes.
>
> Athel Cornish-Bowden:
>>> I think Paul is right, and the "xxx" in his sig may indicate that it's
>>> for the same reason: L + XL = LXX, so ...
>
> Huh?
>
> Jitze Couperus:
>> But L+XL = LLX ...
>
> Huh?

Just to throw in an observation/question? Why is this called the
"second math(s) question"? Maybe it's a clue? Ditto for the second
bird one.

Rich

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 2, 2008, 6:56:08 AM9/2/08

L + XL certainly equals LXX, so what do you mean? (LLX means nothing as
a Roman numeral.)
--
athel

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 2, 2008, 6:58:42 AM9/2/08
On 2008-09-02 05:00:54 +0200, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) said:

> Jerry Friedman:
>
> Mark Brader:
>
> Paul Wolff:
>
> Yes.
>
> Athel Cornish-Bowden:
>>> I think Paul is right, and the "xxx" in his sig may indicate that it's
>>> for the same reason: L + XL = LXX, so ...
>
> Huh?

I wasd going to query your huh? but on drafting an answer I see it was
fully justified, so I'll add my own

huh?

--
athel

Lars Enderin

Sep 2, 2008, 7:04:11 AM9/2/08
Actually, L + XL = XC.
(50 + 40 = 90).

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 2, 2008, 7:10:57 AM9/2/08

You are right, alas, see my answer to Mark.

So if adding L to XL is so error-prone, what about multiplying L by XL
(without converting to decimal first and converying back)? Maybe that's
too easy (or too difficult to avoid thinking about the decimals), so
what about XL1 x CCLXXI?

--
athel

Jerry Friedman

Sep 2, 2008, 12:58:24 PM9/2/08
On Sep 1, 10:20 pm, Rich Ragan <Rich.Ra...@dontMailMe.com> wrote:

> Just to throw in an observation/question? Why is this called the
> "second math(s) question"? Maybe it's a clue?

Not a clue, just me stumped for a slug and taking advantage of the
earlier question on Eratosthenes. The question composer's hint for
this one is 40+30=58.

> Ditto for the second bird one.

Hm.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Hinter

Peter Morris

Sep 2, 2008, 1:11:21 PM9/2/08

"Rich Ragan" <Rich....@dontMailMe.com> wrote in message

> Just to throw in an observation/question? Why is this called the "second
> math(s) question"? Maybe it's a clue? Ditto for the second bird one.

I think the first one was biceps/ triceps/ forceps

Paul Wolff

Sep 2, 2008, 3:14:04 PM9/2/08
Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote

>On Sep 1, 10:20 pm, Rich Ragan <Rich.Ra...@dontMailMe.com> wrote:
>
>> Just to throw in an observation/question? Why is this called the
>> "second math(s) question"? Maybe it's a clue?
>
>Not a clue, just me stumped for a slug and taking advantage of the
>earlier question on Eratosthenes. The question composer's hint for
>this one is 40+30=58.

I can see 40+30=52, but not yet 58, on the hint front.

OK, it is possible to interpret the symbols consistently so that
50+40=70, 40+30=58, and 20+10=28. But in the morning, I won't remember
how.
--
Paul

Jerry Friedman

Sep 2, 2008, 5:58:34 PM9/2/08

Thank you! The correct answer is 28.

In case you've forgotten, Michael Hamm's explanation is, "This is the
arithmetic used by those shopping at sales that advertise 'take 50%
and an additional 40% off' (a total of 70%)."

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Evan Kirshenbaum

Sep 2, 2008, 7:07:43 PM9/2/08
Hatunen <hat...@cox.net> writes:

> Reminds me of the old joke sometimes attributed to Abraham
> Lincoln:
>
> First man. If we call a tail a leg, how many legs does a dog
> have?
>
> Second man. Five
>
> First man. No, four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it one.

This first shows up (with a calf rather than a dog) in Google Books in
1844. Lincoln was in the Illinois House of Representatives, so it's
not impossible that it might have been his, but it seems unlikely. (I
have, I should add, seen it so attributed.)

HP Laboratories |Voting in the House of
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |Representatives is done by means of a
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |little plastic card with a magnetic
|strip on the back--like a VISA card,
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com |but with no, that is, absolutely
(650)857-7572 |*no*, spending limit.
| P.J. O'Rourke
http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Peter Morris

Sep 2, 2008, 9:46:55 PM9/2/08

"Evan Kirshenbaum" <kirsh...@hpl.hp.com> wrote in message

> Hatunen <hat...@cox.net> writes:
>
>> Reminds me of the old joke sometimes attributed to Abraham
>> Lincoln:
>>
>> First man. If we call a tail a leg, how many legs does a dog
>> have?
>>
>> Second man. Five
>>
>> First man. No, four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it one.
>
> This first shows up (with a calf rather than a dog) in Google Books in
> 1844. Lincoln was in the Illinois House of Representatives, so it's
> not impossible that it might have been his, but it seems unlikely. (I
> have, I should add, seen it so attributed.)

Fairly reliable contemporary reports record him using the riddle on
several occasions. However, he did not invent it. Versions of it predate
him by a few decades.

A few records of him using it listed here: http://tinyurl.com/6862hn

Paul Wolff

Sep 3, 2008, 11:50:35 AM9/3/08
Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote
>On Sep 2, 1:14 pm, Paul Wolff <bounc...@two.wolff.co.uk> wrote:
>> Jerry Friedman <je...@totally-official.com> wrote>On Sep 1, 10:20 pm,

>> >Not a clue, just me stumped for a slug and taking advantage of the
>> >earlier question on Eratosthenes.  The question composer's hint for
>> >this one is 40+30=58.
>>
>> I can see 40+30=52, but not yet 58, on the hint front.
>>
>> OK, it is possible to interpret the symbols consistently so that
>> 50+40=70, 40+30=58, and 20+10=28.  But in the morning, I won't remember
>> how.
>
>Thank you! The correct answer is 28.
>
>In case you've forgotten, Michael Hamm's explanation is, "This is the
>arithmetic used by those shopping at sales that advertise 'take 50%
>and an additional 40% off' (a total of 70%)."

I didn't twig the mercantile connection, just played around with
percentages. For which reason I needed the hint. Before that it would
have been like offering trial solutions to a one-time pad encryption.
--
Paul

Jitze

Sep 3, 2008, 4:38:28 PM9/3/08
On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 22:00:54 -0500, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

>Jitze Couperus:
>> But L+XL = LLX ...

In my collection of little wooden cubes which I use to teach
arithmetic to latin kindergartners, I have a cube marked "X"
and a cube marked "L". When I arrange these two cubes
on the nursery floor, I see them next to each other
spelling "XL".

Teacher now adds a third cube, also marked with an "L"
so now I sort them with like cubes at the front and the odd man out
at the end, and I see three cubes spelling LLX.

jawohl?

Jitze

Richard Bollard

Sep 4, 2008, 12:42:17 AM9/4/08
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 18:46:53 -0700, Hatunen <hat...@cox.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:36:44 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Friedman
><je...@totally-official.com> wrote:
>
>>SDC Q26: The second math(s) question
>>
>>If 50+40=70, what's 20+10?
>
>30

Alternatively 20+10 = "anything", as anything follows from a false
premise.

But as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
--
Richard Bollard
Canberra Australia

To email, I'm at AMT not spAMT.

Hatunen

Sep 4, 2008, 11:08:21 AM9/4/08
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:58:34 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Friedman
<je...@totally-official.com> wrote:

>In case you've forgotten, Michael Hamm's explanation is, "This is the
>arithmetic used by those shopping at sales that advertise 'take 50%
>and an additional 40% off' (a total of 70%)."

Which is, of course, mathematically correct.

Jerry Friedman

Sep 4, 2008, 7:09:52 PM9/4/08

Your unreduced Cormo is here.

--