"Skinny Malink"

Bernard Wisser

Apr 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/9/99
When I was a kid in the forties my family called me a "skinny malink." I
knew that meant I was underweight. I have looked all over and I can't find
etyology or origin of that label. I can't find the word malink in any
dictionary or encyclopedia. I even looked at a Yiddish dictionary. I have
found to reference to the term on the web so I know I remembered it
correctly and I am spelling right. Unfortunately after corresponding by
e-mail I found neither source using the term knows its origins.
I need to know it's origin for a novel I am hard at work writing--and would
appreciate if someone out there in usage land can shed some light on the
origin of "Skinny Malink.

Thanks,

Bernard Wisser

Cheryl L Perkins

Apr 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/9/99
Bernard Wisser (s...@xs4all.nl) wrote:
: When I was a kid in the forties my family called me a "skinny malink." I

: Thanks,

: Bernard Wisser

Maybe it doesn't have a single origin or spelling. A children's song I
heard too much of had a chorus including 'Skinny-marinka-do', which I
always thought was just an attractive collection of nonsense syllables.

It's possible that this phrase is simply a popular term invented because
it sounded good.

Cheryl
--
Cheryl Perkins
cper...@stemnet.nf.ca

Skitt

Apr 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/9/99

Bernard Wisser <s...@xs4all.nl> wrote in message

> When I was a kid in the forties my family called me a "skinny malink."
> knew that meant I was underweight. I have looked all over and I can't
find
> etyology or origin of that label. I can't find the word malink in any
> dictionary or encyclopedia. I even looked at a Yiddish dictionary. I
have
> found to reference to the term on the web so I know I remembered it
> correctly and I am spelling right. Unfortunately after corresponding
by
> e-mail I found neither source using the term knows its origins.
> I need to know it's origin for a novel I am hard at work writing--and
would
> appreciate if someone out there in usage land can shed some light on
the
> origin of "Skinny Malink.

Perhaps, and this is only a guess, Russian influence might be at work
here. "Maljinkie", or a reasonable approximation thereof, means a kid,
or a small one.
--
Skitt http://come.to/skitt/
... and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.

John Davies

Apr 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/10/99
In article <01be82da$2d479560$c4876dc2@default>, Bernard Wisser
<s...@xs4all.nl> writes

>When I was a kid in the forties my family called me a "skinny malink." I
>knew that meant I was underweight. I have looked all over and I can't find
>etyology or origin of that label. I can't find the word malink in any
>dictionary or encyclopedia. I even looked at a Yiddish dictionary. I have
>found to reference to the term on the web so I know I remembered it
>correctly and I am spelling right. Unfortunately after corresponding by
>e-mail I found neither source using the term knows its origins.
>I need to know it's origin for a novel I am hard at work writing--and would
>appreciate if someone out there in usage land can shed some light on the
>origin of "Skinny Malink.

There's a kid's rhyme which went something like this:

Skinamalink had long legs
Big banana feet
Went to the pictures but couldn't find a seat...

Partridge [1] has the following:

skilamalink [sic] Secret; 'shady': East London, late C19-early 20.
Origin? RS writes 'In my early youth (ca 1910-1925) I occasionally met
"skinamalink", a derisory noun or nickname for unusually skinny and
undersized individuals... its form is app. based on skilamalink, but its
meaning is that of skilligareen

skilligareen an extremely thin person; lower classes:--1923 (Manchon)
Perhaps, by slurring, ex SE skin-and-bones, but cf also C19 skilly,
gruel.

[1] Paul BEALE (ed). A Concise dictionary of slang and unconventional
English, from A Dictionary of slang and unconventional English, by Eric
Partridge. Routledge, 1989. 0 415 06352 3.

--
John Davies (jo...@redwoods.demon.co.uk)

Michael A. Gaul

Apr 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/10/99
My father had a rhyme he would recite; he grew up in what we would now call
a multi-cultural neighborhood in upstate New York, but where he heard it and
from whom I know not.

"Skinny Malink the barber/
went to shave his father/
the razor slipped, and cut his lip/
and that was the end of the barber."

"BAHbah" and "FAHthah" were stressed and were made to rhyme.

Linguafife

Apr 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/10/99
"Michael A. Gaul" wrote:

The version I knew was "Paddy Whack the barber…", but the rest was much the
same. We did have a local hairdresser universaly known as "the Irish barber",
but doubt if the "Paddy" was directly inspired by him rather than just another
dig at the Irish in general.
On "skinnymalink", I can confirm that the rhyme quoted (Skinnymalink had long
legs, big banana feet" was also a playground chant current in the 40s in
central Scotland.

-- Linguafife: Residential English Courses in Scotland
Learn English, See Scotland.
Visit: http://wkweb5.cableinet.co.uk/linguafife

N.Mitchum

Apr 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/10/99
Bernard Wisser wrote:
------

> When I was a kid in the forties my family called me a "skinny malink." I
> knew that meant I was underweight. I have looked all over and I can't find
> etyology or origin of that label. [...]

> I need to know it's origin for a novel I am hard at work writing

You'd do better, I think, to work from your own ignorance of the
expression's etymology rather than from your latterday researches.
"Write what you know" is an old and honored rule.

You could invent an etymology, making sure you signal that it's
not genuine; you could build a fantasy round the word "malink";
you could have one person give its origins, only to be immediately
contradicted by an equally plausible explanation. And so on.

----NM

Joseph C Fineman

Apr 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/10/99
cper...@stemnet.nf.ca (Cheryl L Perkins) writes:

>Maybe it doesn't have a single origin or spelling. A children's song
>I heard too much of had a chorus including 'Skinny-marinka-do', which
>I always thought was just an attractive collection of nonsense
>syllables.

||: Skinnamarinkydinkydink
Skinnamarinkydoo,
I love you. :||

I love you in the morning and
I love you in the night.
I love you when I'm with you and
I love you out of sight.

Skinnarinkydinkydink, etc.

That one?

--- Joe Fineman j...@world.std.com

||: Successful systems accumulate parasites. :||

Message has been deleted

JEAN-PIERRE PERNIN

Apr 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/11/99
On Sat, 10 Apr 1999 02:05:48 +0100, John Davies
<jo...@redwoods.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <01be82da$2d479560$c4876dc2@default>, Bernard Wisser
><s...@xs4all.nl> writes

>>When I was a kid in the forties my family called me a "skinny malink." I
>>knew that meant I was underweight. I have looked all over and I can't find

>>etyology or origin of that label. I can't find the word malink in any
>>dictionary or encyclopedia. I even looked at a Yiddish dictionary. I have
>>found to reference to the term on the web so I know I remembered it
>>correctly and I am spelling right. Unfortunately after corresponding by
>>e-mail I found neither source using the term knows its origins.
>>I need to know it's origin for a novel I am hard at work writing--and would
>>appreciate if someone out there in usage land can shed some light on the
>>origin of "Skinny Malink.

Funny but there's a French word which sounds very much like "malink"
and is associated with child : "un enfant malingre" means "a skinny
child." The term seems to be a bit outdated, but I, too, was
referred to as "un enfant malingre" in the late forties.

Joseph C Fineman

Apr 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/11/99
cper...@stemnet.nf.ca (Cheryl L Perkins) writes:

><shudder> Yes. Very catchy first time around, but grows old fast,
>unless you are a pre-schooler.

<sigh> It has worn far better with me, perhaps because I am forever a
pre-schooler, or perhaps because I learned it from my mother. I even
taught it to a more or less adult person, once upon a time.

--- Joe Fineman j...@world.std.com

||: Better to shut your mouth and be thought a fool than open it :||
||: and remove all doubt. :||

Bertie Wooster

Apr 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/11/99
JEAN-PIERRE PERNIN wrote in message
<370fc9fd...@news.club-internet.fr>...

>>>I need to know it's origin for a novel I am hard at work writing--and
would
>>>appreciate if someone out there in usage land can shed some light on the
>>>origin of "Skinny Malink.
>>
>Funny but there's a French word which sounds very much like "malink"
>and is associated with child : "un enfant malingre" means "a skinny
>child." The term seems to be a bit outdated, but I, too, was
>referred to as "un enfant malingre" in the late forties.

Has this given us malingering?

Bertie

DK

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99
Bernard Wisser wrote in message <01be82da$2d479560$c4876dc2@default>...

>When I was a kid in the forties my family called me a "skinny malink." I
>knew that meant I was underweight. I have looked all over and I can't find
>etyology or origin of that label. I can't find the word malink in any
>dictionary or encyclopedia. I even looked at a Yiddish dictionary. I have
>found to reference to the term on the web so I know I remembered it
>correctly and I am spelling right. Unfortunately after corresponding by
>e-mail I found neither source using the term knows its origins.
>I need to know it's origin for a novel I am hard at work writing--and would
>appreciate if someone out there in usage land can shed some light on the
>origin of "Skinny Malink.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bernard Wisser

This is purely a theory on my part, and possibly a wild one, as I've never
heard the term before. Could it, possibly, come from "malingerer", as in one
who is (or pretends to be) constantly ill or in a state of convalescence?
--Katrina

T Bruce Tober

Apr 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/13/99
In article <3710a30c...@news.mindspring.com>, Mimi Kahn
<nj...@spamfree.cornell.edu> writes
>>origin of "Skinny Malink.
>
>All I can do is validate your memory of "skinny malink" from my own
>childhood, but I have no idea of its origin, either.
>
>Tnx for the trip down Memory Lane, though.

Likewise.

tbt
--

| Bruce Tober, <octob...@reporters.net>, <http://www.crecon.demon.co.uk> |
| Birmingham, UK, EU +44-121-242-3832 (mobile - 07979-521-106). Freelance |

T Bruce Tober

Apr 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/13/99
In article <lUzxnLBs...@redwoods.demon.co.uk>, John Davies
<jo...@redwoods.demon.co.uk> writes

>Partridge [1] has the following:

And OED says:
skinnymalink, -links, -linky (chiefly Sc.), a thin or emaciated person
or animal; also attrib. or as adj.;

sbch...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2017, 2:35:05 PM1/9/17
On Friday, April 9, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Bernard Wisser wrote:
> When I was a kid in the forties my family called me a "skinny malink." I
> knew that meant I was underweight. I have looked all over and I can't find
> etyology or origin of that label. I can't find the word malink in any
> dictionary or encyclopedia. I even looked at a Yiddish dictionary. I have
> found to reference to the term on the web so I know I remembered it
> correctly and I am spelling right. Unfortunately after corresponding by
> e-mail I found neither source using the term knows its origins.
> I need to know it's origin for a novel I am hard at work writing--and would
> appreciate if someone out there in usage land can shed some light on the
> origin of "Skinny Malink.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bernard Wisser

I am not alone! Thanks. Did you ever find out the origin?

charles

Jan 9, 2017, 2:43:00 PM1/9/17
In article <9ad6fdc3-23bc-4fbb...@googlegroups.com>,
I thought I recognised the name: Skinny Malinky is a Scottish Children's
song. Google for it.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Don Phillipson

Jan 9, 2017, 2:58:25 PM1/9/17
<sbch...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Friday, April 9, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Bernard Wisser wrote:

>> When I was a kid in the forties my family called me a "skinny malink." .
>
> . . . Did you ever find out the origin?

Skinnamarink was the name of one of the TV series for children
(with a theme song repeating the name) of Canadian performers
Sharon, Lois and Bram approx. 1980-2000, cf.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharon,_Lois_%26_Bram
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Quinn C

Jan 9, 2017, 3:23:12 PM1/9/17
* Don Phillipson:

> <sbch...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> On Friday, April 9, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Bernard Wisser wrote:
>
>>> When I was a kid in the forties my family called me a "skinny malink." .
>>
>> . . . Did you ever find out the origin?
>
> Skinnamarink was the name of one of the TV series for children
> (with a theme song repeating the name) of Canadian performers
> Sharon, Lois and Bram approx. 1980-2000, cf.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharon,_Lois_%26_Bram

When my son was little, I was exposed to this song in the form
"skidamarink-a-dink-a-dink". Looking it up, the original version
seems to have "skiddy-mer-rink-a-dink-a-boomp", and the others,
including ones starting "skinny", are later variations.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skidamarink>

--
Some things are taken away from you, some you leave behind-and
some you carry with you, world without end.

Peter Moylan

Jan 9, 2017, 5:22:45 PM1/9/17
> I am not alone! Thanks. Did you ever find out the origin?

John Davies gave a good answer in 1999, in this very thread. Did you not
read the rest of the thread?

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

bebe...@aol.com

Jan 9, 2017, 8:17:36 PM1/9/17
Le vendredi 9 avril 1999 09:00:00 UTC+2, Bernard Wisser a écrit :
> When I was a kid in the forties my family called me a "skinny malink." I
> knew that meant I was underweight. I have looked all over and I can't find
> etyology or origin of that label. I can't find the word malink in any
> dictionary or encyclopedia. I even looked at a Yiddish dictionary. I have
> found to reference to the term on the web so I know I remembered it
> correctly and I am spelling right. Unfortunately after corresponding by
> e-mail I found neither source using the term knows its origins.
> I need to know it's origin for a novel I am hard at work writing--and would
> appreciate if someone out there in usage land can shed some light on the
> origin of "Skinny Malink.

The similarity may very well be fortuitous, but "malink" reminds me of French "malingre", which means "puny", "sickly" or "frail".

> Thanks,
>
> Bernard Wisser

bill van

Jan 9, 2017, 10:45:27 PM1/9/17
In article <39c5731b-4603-41fa...@googlegroups.com>,
Also of "malign(e)", malignant or malevolent, among others.
--
bill

JoeDee

Jan 10, 2017, 7:58:48 AM1/10/17
There's also Russian маленький (MAH-linky) meaning small, tiny. "Skinny
malink" was the first thing I thought of when I learned the Russian
word for small.
--
Remember: It is To Laugh

Harvey

Jan 10, 2017, 9:08:40 AM1/10/17
On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 19:45:23 -0800, bill van <bil...@delete.shaw.ca>
wrote:
Also related to "malingering", I suspect.

--
Cheers, Harvey
CanE (30 years) & BrE (34 years), indiscriminately mixed

occam

Jan 10, 2017, 12:22:51 PM1/10/17
Bingo! Without having seen the original thread, I believe this is the
correct origin of the expression. 'Clockwork Orange' (1962 Anthony
Burgess book - later a film) makes use of Russian word corruptions (e.g
'droog' for friend) throughout the book. The only puzzle that remains,
you say your parents called you this in the 1940s? Did they have Russian
ancestry or have knowledge of Russian?

the Omrud

Jan 10, 2017, 1:18:47 PM1/10/17
On 09/01/2017 19:35, sbch...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, April 9, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Bernard Wisser wrote:
>> When I was a kid in the forties my family called me a "skinny malink." I
>> knew that meant I was underweight. I have looked all over and I can't find
>> etyology or origin of that label. I can't find the word malink in any
>> dictionary or encyclopedia. I even looked at a Yiddish dictionary. I have
>> found to reference to the term on the web so I know I remembered it
>> correctly and I am spelling right. Unfortunately after corresponding by
>> e-mail I found neither source using the term knows its origins.
>> I need to know it's origin for a novel I am hard at work writing--and would
>> appreciate if someone out there in usage land can shed some light on the
>> origin of "Skinny Malink.
>
> I am not alone! Thanks. Did you ever find out the origin?

This can't be relevant to your naming, but it may have a common cause:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slinky-Malinki-Lynley-Dodd/dp/0140544399

--
David

charles

Jan 10, 2017, 1:34:22 PM1/10/17
In article <o5356b$k2j$1...@dont-email.me>,
occam <oc...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> On 10/01/2017 13:58, JoeDee wrote:
> > On 2017-01-10 01:17:32 +0000, bebe...@aol.com said:
> >
> >> Le vendredi 9 avril 1999 09:00:00 UTC+2, Bernard Wisser a щcrit :
one of Scottish ancestors was a general for Catherine the Great. It might
explain why there is a Scottish childrens' song/ see wikipedia/

James Hogg

Jan 10, 2017, 5:31:08 PM1/10/17
It's even older than the 1940s. Eric Partridge has the following in his
slang dictionary :

skilamalink. Secret; 'shady': East London, late C19-early 20.
Origin? RS writes 'In my early youth (ca 1910-1925) I occasionally met
"skinamalink", a derisory noun or nickname for unusually skinny and
undersized individuals... its form is app. based on skilamalink, but its
meaning is that of skilligareen.

--
James

Robert Bannister

Jan 10, 2017, 9:38:08 PM1/10/17
And yet "malinka" in many languages is thriving raspberry.

--
Robert B. born England a long time ago;
Western Australia since 1972

Peter Moylan

Jan 10, 2017, 11:03:39 PM1/10/17
On 2017-Jan-11 05:14, charles wrote:

> one of Scottish ancestors was a general for Catherine the Great. It might
> explain why there is a Scottish childrens' song/ see wikipedia/

Sounds like an interesting song. I can imagine singing it to the tune of
"God Save the Queen".

See Wikipedia
Happy and speedier
Long to reign greedier ...

Jack Campin

Jan 16, 2017, 7:24:42 PM1/16/17
["Skinny Malinky Long Legs"]
> I can imagine singing it to the tune of "God Save the Queen".
>
> See Wikipedia
> Happy and speedier
> Long to reign greedier ...

I don't know the tune (I see Matt McGinn has sung it) and have only
met with it as a rhyme - always fitted "Lady Madonna" for me.

mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

Snidely

Jan 17, 2017, 2:55:01 AM1/17/17
Just this Monday, Jack Campin puzzled about:
> ["Skinny Malinky Long Legs"]

[attribution should point to Mr Moylan]
>> I can imagine singing it to the tune of "God Save the Queen".
>>
>> See Wikipedia
>> Happy and speedier
>> Long to reign greedier ...
>
> I don't know the tune (I see Matt McGinn has sung it) and have only
> met with it as a rhyme - always fitted "Lady Madonna" for me.

Just to spoil your day, here's the version used by the aforementioned
Sharon, Lois, and Bram to close their _Elephant Show_, which is the
vehicle that introduced the song (and the artists) to me; it was
available in the US on Nickelodeon when my kids were the appropriate
age.

<URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPdV8jXAjUQ>

/dps "One elephant went out to play ... upon a spider's web one day;
he had such enormous fun ... he called for another elephant to come!"

--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered

Snidely

Jan 17, 2017, 2:56:21 AM1/17/17
On Monday or thereabouts, Snidely asked ...
> Just this Monday, Jack Campin puzzled about:
>> ["Skinny Malinky Long Legs"]
>
> [attribution should point to Mr Moylan]
>>> I can imagine singing it to the tune of "God Save the Queen".
>>>
>>> See Wikipedia
>>> Happy and speedier
>>> Long to reign greedier ...
>>
>> I don't know the tune (I see Matt McGinn has sung it) and have only
>> met with it as a rhyme - always fitted "Lady Madonna" for me.
>
> Just to spoil your day, here's the version used by the aforementioned Sharon,
> Lois, and Bram to close their _Elephant Show_, which is the vehicle that
> introduced the song (and the artists) to me; it was available in the US on
> Nickelodeon when my kids were the appropriate age.
>
> <URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPdV8jXAjUQ>
>
> /dps "One elephant went out to play ... upon a spider's web one day;
> he had such enormous fun ... he called for another elephant to come!"

If that didn't send you into a deep decline, here's Rafi:

<URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oacQL7UQtlk>

/dps

--
Killing a mouse was hardly a Nobel Prize-worthy exercise, and Lawrence
went apopleptic when he learned a lousy rodent had peed away all his

techie.g...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2018, 8:27:43 PM12/6/18
On Saturday, 10 April 1999 15:00:00 UTC+8, Michael A. Gaul wrote:
> My father had a rhyme he would recite; he grew up in what we would now call
> a multi-cultural neighborhood in upstate New York, but where he heard it and
> from whom I know not.
>
> "Skinny Malink the barber/
> went to shave his father/
> the razor slipped, and cut his lip/
> and that was the end of the barber."
>
> "BAHbah" and "FAHthah" were stressed and were made to rhyme.

Here I am, replying to a 19 year old post (you still here, Mike?). My mother used to sing-song that, but the ending was, "and that was the end of Skinny Malink the barber!". Weird that there's not a pinpoint of where such a thing came from? She was born in NJ in 1918, btw. I'm from FL, now living in Australia!

Cheers!

bill van

Dec 6, 2018, 9:13:10 PM12/6/18
The New York Times, in 1994, took it back to the late 19th century.
(excerpt below)

It appears to be broadly spread through English-language children's culture,
with origins claimed for Ireland, Scotland, England, Canada and the U.S.

Adding to the mystery, there are many spellings including Skinny
Malink, Skinny Merink, Skinnamarink, etc.

Here's the NYT excerpt, which appears to claim there is a single point source:

Skinny Marink
"While reading 'After All These Years' by Susan Isaacs," writes Steven
Zalben of Sands Point, L.I., "I came across 'Who's that skinny marink .
. .?' Where does it come from?"
From skinny malink, in a comic song on the London stage around 1870.
The Scottish National Dictionary has skinnymalink(ie), for an emaciated
person or animal. Joan Hall of the Dictionary of American Regional
English, thinks it is rooted in skinny as the links of a crook, the
chain and hook that hold a pot over a fire. "The ma- is probably an
infix," she tells me, "a rhythmic syllable added to make the phrase
more euphonious."
In 1924, Eddie Cantor popularized the song "Skin-a-Ma-Rink," written by
Al Dubin, Jimmy McHugh and Irving Mills.
end excerpt from:

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/07/10/magazine/on-langauge-now-overhear-this.html

But that's the only part of the column that's on topic for this thread.

I gave it five or ten minutes of searching and didn't find anything
definitive, but it could easily be out there.

If you're interested, I recommend googling on the various spellings and
seeing if anyone has collected
all the Skinny Malink etc. lore. Could be an interesting tour of
children's culture.

bill

Mark Brader

Dec 7, 2018, 1:32:49 AM12/7/18
Michael Gaul (posting in 1999):
>>> My father had a rhyme he would recite; he grew up in what we would now call
>>> a multi-cultural neighborhood in upstate New York, but where he heard it and
>>> from whom I know not.

>>> "Skinny Malink the barber/
>>> went to shave his father/
>>> the razor slipped, and cut his lip/
>>> and that was the end of the barber."

A current but anonymous poster:
>> Here I am, replying to a 19 year old post (you still here, Mike?). My
>> mother used to sing-song that, but the ending was, "and that was the
>> end of Skinny Malink the barber!"...

William Boei:
> The New York Times, in 1994, took it back to the late 19th century.
> Here's the NYT excerpt, which appears to claim there is a single point
> source:

> From skinny malink, in a comic song on the London stage around 1870.

What that instantly made me think of was the children's song
"Skinnamarink" performed by the Canadian group Sharon, Lois & Bram.
Wikipedia has an article under the title "Skidamarink" that also claim
a single point source, but that article makes the source a 1910 Broadway
production.

Not surprisingly, there's nothing about barbers and razors in the 1910
lyrics given in Wikipedia, nor in the "official" Sharon, Lois & Bram
lyrics as given here:

http://www.paroles-musique.com/eng/Sharon_Lois_and_Bram-Skinnamarink_Live-lyrics,p060105326

--
Mark Brader "HE'S the brains of the outfit."
Toronto "What does that make you?"

bill van

Dec 7, 2018, 3:20:37 AM12/7/18
On 2018-12-07 06:32:41 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> Michael Gaul (posting in 1999):

> A current but anonymous poster:
>>> Here I am, replying to a 19 year old post (you still here, Mike?). My
>>> mother used to sing-song that, but the ending was, "and that was the
>>> end of Skinny Malink the barber!"...
>
> William Boei:
>> The New York Times, in 1994, took it back to the late 19th century.
>> Here's the NYT excerpt, which appears to claim there is a single point
>> source:
>
>> From skinny malink, in a comic song on the London stage around 1870.
>
> What that instantly made me think of was the children's song
> "Skinnamarink" performed by the Canadian group Sharon, Lois & Bram.
> Wikipedia has an article under the title "Skidamarink" that also claim
> a single point source, but that article makes the source a 1910 Broadway
> production.

Yes, Sharon, Lois and Bram were featured in my search results. They mined
music for children, found a vein that's now roughly 150 years old, and produced
their own version. It's lovely how some musicians pay attention to traditions,
and look for ways to pass them on.

> Not surprisingly, there's nothing about barbers and razors in the 1910
> lyrics given in Wikipedia, nor in the "official" Sharon, Lois & Bram
> lyrics as given here:
>
> http://www.paroles-musique.com/eng/Sharon_Lois_and_Bram-Skinnamarink_Live-lyrics,p060105326

They were performers first and foremost. They found material that would
fit into their repertoire,
massaged it and showed it to a new audience. I wasn't in their target
audience, but I was sideswiped
by just enough of their stuff to be able to write this paragraph.

bill

gran...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2019, 2:34:59 PM6/11/19
Yes, my mom, born in 1914, used to say that rhyme, but it sounded like skinny bolinky to me. She was a 1st gen American,both parents from Yugislavia, living in a Slovenian neighborhood.

Joseph C. Fineman

Jun 11, 2019, 6:00:28 PM6/11/19
My mom, born in 1908, made it "Skinnamarinkydinkydink". (I am only
imagining how she might have spelled it.)
--
--- Joe Fineman jo...@verizon.net

||: Life is ever, since man was born, :||
||: Licking honey from a thorn. :||

Peter T. Daniels

Jun 12, 2019, 8:10:05 AM6/12/19
On Tuesday, June 11, 2019 at 6:00:28 PM UTC-4, Joseph C. Fineman wrote:
> gran...@gmail.com writes:

> > Yes, my mom, born in 1914, used to say that rhyme, but it sounded like
> > skinny bolinky to me. She was a 1st gen American,both parents from
> > Yugislavia, living in a Slovenian neighborhood.
>
> My mom, born in 1908, made it "Skinnamarinkydinkydink". (I am only
> imagining how she might have spelled it.)

Ahh, it was a more leisurely age ... 8 syllables!

CDB

Jun 12, 2019, 9:44:58 AM6/12/19
On 6/11/2019 6:00 PM, Joseph C. Fineman wrote:
> gran...@gmail.com writes:

>> Yes, my mom, born in 1914, used to say that rhyme, but it sounded
>> like skinny bolinky to me. She was a 1st gen American,both parents
>> from Yugislavia, living in a Slovenian neighborhood.

> My mom, born in 1908, made it "Skinnamarinkydinkydink". (I am only
> imagining how she might have spelled it.)

Sharon, Lois, and Bram used to go on about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPdV8jXAjUQ

soup

Jun 12, 2019, 10:33:38 AM6/12/19
On 11/06/2019 19:34, gran...@gmail.com wrote:
> Yes, my mom, born in 1914, used to say that rhyme, but it sounded like skinny bolinky to me. She was a 1st gen American,both parents from Yugislavia, living in a Slovenian neighborhood.

I have only ever heard it with a Y at the end perhaps that is why you
remember it as bolinky.

Skinny Malink'Y' long legs umbrella feet
went to the pictures couldnae find a seat
When the picture started Skinny Malink'Y' farted
Skinny Malink'Y' long legs umbrella feet

Oh we were so couth at six, seven or so.

Joseph C. Fineman

Jun 12, 2019, 2:13:00 PM6/12/19
That's my mother's tune, near enough. But she made it

I love you in the morning and I love you in the night,
I love you when I'm with you and I love you out of sight.
--
--- Joe Fineman jo...@verizon.net

||: Anything that is not nailed down is mine. Anything I can :||
||: pry up is not nailed down. :||

John Varela

Jun 12, 2019, 7:01:47 PM6/12/19
I know I've got a different version of that somewhere in my iTunes
library but I'm damned if I know what group sang it or what the
title is. If I find it I'll let you know.

--
John Varela

Steve Hayes

Jun 15, 2019, 8:53:13 AM6/15/19
We used to say it at school in Magaliesberg, South Africa, in the 1950s

Skinny malinky long legs
Big banana feet
Went to the bioscope
And fell through the seat.

What version do you know?

--
Steve Hayes http://khanya.wordpress.com

baja...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2019, 9:16:09 PM8/8/19
I was just talking to my husband about a friend’s son who is tall and thin. I said “Oh, what my grandmother used to refer to as a ‘Skinny Malink’ - he’d never heard of it. BTW I grew ip in Wales and my Nana was born in 1900. Haven’t got a clue! But I love it.

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Aug 9, 2019, 5:25:44 AM8/9/19
On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 18:16:07 -0700 (PDT), baja...@gmail.com wrote:

>I was just talking to my husband about a friend’s son who is tall and thin. I said “Oh, what my grandmother used to refer to as a ‘Skinny Malink’ - he’d never heard of it. BTW I grew ip in Wales and my Nana was born in 1900. Haven’t got a clue! But I love it.

The OED has it as:

skinnymalink, n.

colloquial and regional.

A (humorously) depreciative name for: a skinny person or
occasionally animal.

1870 Punchinello 2 27 I had sent too many of such skinamelinks
to the clay banks when I was Gustise of the Peece to allow 'em to
fool me much.
1892 Brechin Advertiser 6 Sept. 3 Twa skinamalinks o' the genus
horse.
1979 L. Derwent Border Bairn vi. 71 A skinnymalink of a laddie
with holes in his stockings.
2000 Independent 17 Feb. ii. 4/2 The muscle-bound,
massive-thighed brutes have gone. Footballers are now
skinnymalinks.

It lists 12 different spellings.

There is also:

skinny-malinky, adj. and n.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

Mark Wernick

Apr 26, 2023, 3:08:19 AM4/26/23
I see I'm a few years late in this discussion. Better late than never? Here's another variation on this theme.

When I was a little (and very skinny) kid, my father repeated this jingle to me a number of times:

Skinny Balink the barber
Went to shave his father
The razor slipped
And cut his lip
Skinny Balink the barber

In retrospect, sounds a bit Oedipal. My father was born in 1920 in Bayonne, New Jersey. I can't say for sure where he learned the jingle, but I thought he told me his father said it to him. His father, born probably in the early 1890s, was a Jewish immigrant from western Belarus, arriving through Ellis Island in 1910.

That jingle or variations of it clearly was making the rounds in the northeastern U.S. in the early 20th century. I allow for the possibility that the "correct" word is 'malink', and not 'Balink', and was misheard by either my father or myself.

Mark Wernick
Houston, TX

Tracy LF

Apr 26, 2023, 7:47:47 AM4/26/23
On Wednesday, 26 April 2023 at 15:08:19 UTC+8, Mark Wernick wrote:
> I see I'm a few years late in this discussion. Better late than never? Here's another variation on this theme.
>
> When I was a little (and very skinny) kid, my father repeated this jingle to me a number of times:
>
> Skinny Balink the barber
> Went to shave his father
> The razor slipped
> And cut his lip
> Skinny Balink the barber
>
> In retrospect, sounds a bit Oedipal. My father was born in 1920 in Bayonne, New Jersey. I can't say for sure where he learned the jingle, but I thought he told me his father said it to him. His father, born probably in the early 1890s, was a Jewish immigrant from western Belarus, arriving through Ellis Island in 1910.
>
> That jingle or variations of it clearly was making the rounds in the northeastern U.S. in the early 20th century. I allow for the possibility that the "correct" word is 'malink', and not 'Balink', and was misheard by either my father or myself.
>
> Mark Wernick
> Houston, TX

________________________

Hi Mark!

My mother's Kearny NJ version was:

Skinny Malink the barber
Went to shave his father
The razor slipped
And cut his lip
And that was the end
of Skinny Malink the barber!

_______________________________

Peter T. Daniels

Apr 26, 2023, 9:47:42 AM4/26/23
On Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 7:47:47 AM UTC-4, Tracy LF wrote:
> On Wednesday, 26 April 2023 at 15:08:19 UTC+8, Mark Wernick wrote:

> > I see I'm a few years late in this discussion. Better late than never? Here's another variation on this theme.
> >
> > When I was a little (and very skinny) kid, my father repeated this jingle to me a number of times:
> >
> > Skinny Balink the barber
> > Went to shave his father
> > The razor slipped
> > And cut his lip
> > Skinny Balink the barber
> >
> > In retrospect, sounds a bit Oedipal. My father was born in 1920 in Bayonne, New Jersey. I can't say for sure where he learned the jingle, but I thought he told me his father said it to him. His father, born probably in the early 1890s, was a Jewish immigrant from western Belarus, arriving through Ellis Island in 1910.
> >
> > That jingle or variations of it clearly was making the rounds in the northeastern U.S. in the early 20th century. I allow for the possibility that the "correct" word is 'malink', and not 'Balink', and was misheard by either my father or myself.
> >
> > Mark Wernick
> > Houston, TX
> ________________________
>
> Hi Mark!
>
> My mother's Kearny NJ version was:
>
> Skinny Malink the barber
> Went to shave his father
> The razor slipped
> And cut his lip
> And that was the end
> of Skinny Malink the barber!
> _______________________________

That Jersey ditty didn't make it across the River to NYC (or its
northern suburbs) -- neither my father b. 1917 Mamaroneck nor
my mother b. 1918 Bronx repeated it to me, nor did I hear it in
school.

Paul Carmichael

Apr 26, 2023, 12:32:25 PM4/26/23
El Wed, 26 Apr 2023 00:08:16 -0700, Mark Wernick escribió:

> I see I'm a few years late in this discussion. Better late than never?
> Here's another variation on this theme.
>
> When I was a little (and very skinny) kid, my father repeated this
> jingle to me a number of times:
>
> Skinny Balink the barber Went to shave his father The razor slipped And
> cut his lip Skinny Balink the barber

"Aaav gad a gurl carld Boney Maroney,
She's as skinny as a stick of macaroni..."

Classic lyrics.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es

JNugent

Apr 29, 2023, 4:40:02 PM4/29/23
The epithet "Skinny Malink" (however spelled) was certainly known in the
Liverpool (England) of my childhood.

Not necessarily in connection with any rhyme, but merely as a
description of someone with a slight build.
Message has been deleted

Stan Godlewski

May 12, 2023, 9:39:26 PM5/12/23
My father would sing that song to me as well, back in the 1960s.

On Saturday, April 10, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Michael A. Gaul wrote:
> My father had a rhyme he would recite; he grew up in what we would now call
> a multi-cultural neighborhood in upstate New York, but where he heard it and
> from whom I know not.
> "Skinny Malink the barber/
> went to shave his father/
> the razor slipped, and cut his lip/

bruce bowser

May 14, 2023, 11:11:22 AM5/14/23
Mamaroneck? How the heck do you pronounce that name?

Peter T. Daniels

May 14, 2023, 11:44:12 AM5/14/23
On Sunday, May 14, 2023 at 11:11:22 AM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 9:47:42 AM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> > > My mother's Kearny NJ version was:

> > > Skinny Malink the barber
> > > Went to shave his father
> > > The razor slipped
> > > And cut his lip
> > > And that was the end
> > > of Skinny Malink the barber!

> > That Jersey ditty didn't make it across the River to NYC (or its
> > northern suburbs) -- neither my father b. 1917 Mamaroneck nor
> > my mother b. 1918 Bronx repeated it to me, nor did I hear it in
> > school.
>
> Mamaroneck? How the heck do you pronounce that name?

As it's spelled. (The stress is on the second syllable.)

As is shown in its Wikiparticle.

David Kleinecke

May 14, 2023, 7:39:00 PM5/14/23
On Sunday, May 14, 2023 at 8:44:12 AM UTC-7, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Sunday, May 14, 2023 at 11:11:22 AM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:

> > > That Jersey ditty didn't make it across the River to NYC (or its
> > > northern suburbs) -- neither my father b. 1917 Mamaroneck nor
> > > my mother b. 1918 Bronx repeated it to me, nor did I hear it in
> > > school.

I would guess these are jump rope songs. Jump rope songs can be the
fashion in very small neighborhoods.

From my youth;
Charlie Chaplin went to France
To teach the children how to dance
and I have heard real children voluntarily singing the London Bridge song.

TonyCooper

May 14, 2023, 8:26:41 PM5/14/23
On Sun, 14 May 2023 16:38:57 -0700 (PDT), David Kleinecke
<dklei...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 14, 2023 at 8:44:12?AM UTC-7, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
>> On Sunday, May 14, 2023 at 11:11:22?AM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
>> > On Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 9:47:42?AM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
The first time we took our children to Denmark, our daughter joined
some Danish girls who were playing jumprope. The girls were singing
something in Danish, and our daughter joined in, but in English. Her
words fit the song although she had no idea if it was the same song
she was used to.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando,Florida