nutricious vs. nutritional

Dale Lundquist

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

Although I know that the usage of these two words differs, I am unclear
why. I know that "...apples are nutricious" (not nutritional) or
"...apples have nutritional value" (not nutricious value). However, both
are adjectives. Does it have to do with the fact that the former modifies
the subject of the sentence and the latter, er . . . does somethin else?

Paul Bogrow

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

It's not that complicated. "Nutritional" means "pertaining to nutrition".
"Nutritious" (note the spelling) means "containing things that are
beneficial from a nutritional standpoint", i.e., "good for you".

Rainer Thonnes

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

In article <dhlund-0310...@dialin139.p3.net>,

dhl...@p3.net (Dale Lundquist) writes:
> Although I know that the usage of these two words differs, I am unclear
> why. I know that "...apples are nutricious" (not nutritional) or
> "...apples have nutritional value" (not nutricious value). However, both
> are adjectives. Does it have to do with the fact that the former modifies
> the subject of the sentence and the latter, er . . . does somethin else?

No, it's simpler than that, the two adjectives just have different meanings.
"Nutritional" means "having to do with nutrition".
"Nutricious" means "jam-packed full of nutrients".
Therefore, to be nutricious is to have nutritional value.

Polar

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

On Fri, 4 Oct 1996 13:03:58 GMT, r...@dcs.ed.ac.uk (Rainer Thonnes)
wrote:

Surely "nutritious", rather than "nutricious"?

Polar

Rainer Thonnes

Oct 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/6/96

In article <325566b7...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>,
s.m...@ix.netcom.com (Polar) writes:

> r...@dcs.ed.ac.uk (Rainer Thonnes) wrote:
> >No, it's simpler than that, the two adjectives just have different meanings.
> >"Nutritional" means "having to do with nutrition".
> >"Nutricious" means "jam-packed full of nutrients".
> >Therefore, to be nutricious is to have nutritional value.
>
> Surely "nutritious", rather than "nutricious"?

Of course. I'm afraid I completely missed that mistake. As soon as I saw
someone else's correction, I began to wonder whether it had been a trick
question.