Why is it called a "beaver"?

O. Hendersen

Aug 3, 2005, 8:32:39 PM8/3/05
I don't get the connection.

O.

--
O. Hendersen ohend...@yahoo.com

Robert Lieblich

Aug 3, 2005, 9:10:13 PM8/3/05
"O. Hendersen" wrote:

> I don't get the connection.

Because "Beaver" rhymes with "Cleaver."

I assume that answers your question.

--
Bob Lieblich
Or maybe the answer is "because they're both hairy"

Default User

Aug 3, 2005, 9:10:24 PM8/3/05
O. Hendersen wrote:

> I don't get the connection.

According to Merriam-Webster on-line:

Etymology: Middle English bever, from Old English beofor; akin to Old
High German bibar beaver, and probably to Old English brun brown --
more at BROWN

"Did that answer your question?" He asked innocently.

Brian

FRAN

Aug 3, 2005, 9:16:55 PM8/3/05

O. Hendersen wrote:
> I don't get the connection.
>
> O.
>
> --
> O. Hendersen

That's something Leslie Nielsen in Naked Gun 2 1/2 struggled with too.
Ms Presley's charms, and that stuffed critter were apparently quite
similar to him from the bottom of that ladder.

Fran

Tony Cooper

Aug 3, 2005, 9:30:52 PM8/3/05
On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:10:13 -0400, Robert Lieblich
<robert....@verizon.net> wrote:

>"O. Hendersen" wrote:
>>
>> I don't get the connection.
>
>Because "Beaver" rhymes with "Cleaver."
>
>I assume that answers your question.

I thought it was because it is a fur piece down there.

--
Tony Cooper
Orlando FL

Spehro Pefhany

Aug 3, 2005, 9:56:54 PM8/3/05

I'll thank you not to disparage Canada's National Rodent.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
sp...@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

Michael DeBusk

Aug 4, 2005, 12:17:33 AM8/4/05
On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 17:32:39 -0700, O. Hendersen <ohend...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't get the connection.

I think it was because he had buck teeth, but I'm not sure. The show
never really made it clear.

I think Ward, June, and Wally should've called him "Theodore"
regardless. "Beaver" is a rotten nick for a kid.

--
Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
Did he update http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/ yet?

Aaron Davies

Aug 4, 2005, 12:43:26 AM8/4/05
O. Hendersen <ohend...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't get the connection.
>
> O.

Read more Vonnegut.
--
Aaron Davies
Opinions expressed are solely those of a random number generator.

Steve Hayes

Aug 3, 2005, 11:54:24 PM8/3/05
wrote:

>I don't get the connection.

With what?

Are you referring to

1) a large amphibious rodent
2) the fur of this auimal
3) a burrowing rodent of North America
4) a tall hat of beaver fur (cf the Quangle Wangle Quee)
5) a woollen napped cloth resembling beaver fur
6) greyish- or yellowish brown
7) a full beard
8) a bearded man
9) (mod) having the colour of beaver fur
10) (intr) usu foll by away, to work industriously or steadily

?

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm

R H Draney

Aug 4, 2005, 12:57:16 AM8/4/05
Aaron Davies filted:

>O. Hendersen <ohend...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't get the connection.
>>
>> O.
>
>Read more Vonnegut.

And trust me on the sunscreen....r

Jim Lawton

Aug 4, 2005, 3:46:34 AM8/4/05

What was a stuffed critter doing up a ladder?

--
Jim
"a single species has come to dominate ...

Daniel James

Aug 4, 2005, 5:39:21 AM8/4/05
In article news:<ohendersen-90768...@news.giganews.com>, O.
Hendersen wrote:
> Subject: Why is it called a "beaver"?
[snip]

> I don't get the connection.

Is it not rhyming slang?

Cheers,
Daniel.

Ross Howard

Aug 4, 2005, 6:05:51 AM8/4/05
On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 10:39:21 +0100, Daniel James
<waste...@nospam.aaisp.org> wrought:

Yep. From beaver's dam = clam.

--
Ross Howard

FRAN

Aug 4, 2005, 7:58:26 AM8/4/05

Jim Lawton wrote:
> On 3 Aug 2005 18:16:55 -0700, "FRAN" <fran...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> >O. Hendersen wrote:
> >> I don't get the connection.
> >>
> >> O.
> >>
> >> --
> >> O. Hendersen
> >

> >That's something Leslie Nielsen in Naked Gun 2 1/2 struggled with too.
> >Ms Presley's charms, and that stuffed critter were apparently quite
> >similar to him from the bottom of that ladder.
>
> What was a stuffed critter doing up a ladder?

Sight gag and pun ...

Presley's character climbs the ladder to a set of shelves with a file
at the top. Nielsen looks upward and out of shot, ostensibly, one
assumes, up Presley's skirt and says:

"Nice Beaver!"

Presley responds:

"Oh thanks, I just had it stuffed." and passes down a presumably
stuffed beaver.

Boom bom.

Fran

Charles Riggs

Aug 4, 2005, 8:10:33 AM8/4/05

Not bad, Coop. Original?
--
Charles Riggs

Charles Riggs

Aug 4, 2005, 8:10:33 AM8/4/05
On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:05:51 +0200, Ross Howard <ggu...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

And from beaver's front = cunt, and from beaver's back = crack, and
from beaver's tail = quail, and from beaver's watery flips =
mouth-watering lips, and from beaver's shoal = hole, and from beaver's
cocks = box, and from beaver's pals = genitals.
--
Charles Riggs

mark

Aug 4, 2005, 8:38:01 AM8/4/05
While recovering from a recent, uncomfortable transmembrification,
Charles Riggs (chr...@eircom.net) was heard to remark...

> On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:05:51 +0200, Ross Howard <ggu...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 10:39:21 +0100, Daniel James
> ><waste...@nospam.aaisp.org> wrought:
> >>Is it not rhyming slang?
> >
> >Yep. From beaver's dam = clam.
>
> And from beaver's front = cunt, and from beaver's back = crack, and
> from beaver's tail = quail, and from beaver's watery flips =
> mouth-watering lips, and from beaver's shoal = hole, and from beaver's
> cocks = box, and from beaver's pals = genitals.

Charlie! I'm impressed.

--
"Procrastinate *now*. Don't put it off!"
- Ellen Degeneres

John Holmes

Aug 4, 2005, 8:36:34 AM8/4/05

This version's better:
http://homepage.powerup.com.au/%7Esonghurs/sunscree.htm

--
Regards
John

Charles Riggs

Aug 5, 2005, 6:27:51 AM8/5/05
On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 13:10:33 +0100, Charles Riggs <chr...@eircom.net>
wrote:

Apparently not. I shoulda guessed that.
--
Charles Riggs

E.I

Aug 6, 2005, 4:53:18 PM8/6/05

"FRAN" <fran...@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
1123156706.2...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

> Jim Lawton wrote:

>> >That's something Leslie Nielsen in Naked Gun 2 1/2 struggled with too.
>> >Ms Presley's charms, and that stuffed critter were apparently quite
>> >similar to him from the bottom of that ladder.
>>
>> What was a stuffed critter doing up a ladder?
>
> Sight gag and pun ...
>
> Presley's character climbs the ladder to a set of shelves with a file
> at the top. Nielsen looks upward and out of shot, ostensibly, one
> assumes, up Presley's skirt and says:
>
> "Nice Beaver!"
>
> Presley responds:
>
> "Oh thanks, I just had it stuffed." and passes down a presumably
> stuffed beaver.
>
> Boom bom.

Class ... in a way.

Raymond S. Wise

Aug 6, 2005, 11:48:25 PM8/6/05
Michael DeBusk wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 17:32:39 -0700, O. Hendersen <ohend...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't get the connection.
>
> I think it was because he had buck teeth, but I'm not sure. The show
> never really made it clear.
>
> I think Ward, June, and Wally should've called him "Theodore"
> regardless. "Beaver" is a rotten nick for a kid.

The show *did* make it clear, in the very last episode. Theodore
Cleaver was called "Beaver" because when he was a baby the closest his
brother Wally could get to the pronunciation of "Theodore" was
"Beaver," and that pronunciation became the nickname.

--
Raymond S. Wise
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

E-mail: mplsray @ yahoo . com

de...@aol.com

Aug 8, 2005, 10:25:09 PM8/8/05

FRAN wrote:
> Jim Lawton wrote:

> > >That's something Leslie Nielsen in Naked Gun 2 1/2 struggled with too.
> > >Ms Presley's charms, and that stuffed critter were apparently quite
> > >similar to him from the bottom of that ladder.
> >
> > What was a stuffed critter doing up a ladder?
>
> Sight gag and pun ...
>
> Presley's character climbs the ladder to a set of shelves with a file
> at the top. Nielsen looks upward and out of shot, ostensibly, one
> assumes, up Presley's skirt and says:
>
> "Nice Beaver!"
>
> Presley responds:
>
> "Oh thanks, I just had it stuffed." and passes down a presumably
> stuffed beaver.
>
> Boom bom.

Phil Donahue?? You're more embarassing to the United States than Tonya
Harding!

Michael DeBusk

Aug 9, 2005, 1:14:30 AM8/9/05
On 6 Aug 2005 20:48:25 -0700, Raymond S. Wise <mpl...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> The show *did* make it clear, in the very last episode. Theodore
> Cleaver was called "Beaver" because when he was a baby the closest
> his brother Wally could get to the pronunciation of "Theodore" was
> "Beaver," and that pronunciation became the nickname.

I (it's obvious) never saw the last episode. I am exceeding grateful to
you for sharing this with me. Now I can sleep at night. ;)

(And it's all the more reason for them to have called him "Ted".)