English-Italian mixture: What's the word?

Jerry Friedman

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
The subject of mixtures of languages came up in alt.usage.spanish, and I
realized that while looking up something else in the SOED, I had just
seen the word, or two words, for English with a lot of Italian
vocabulary. As used by theatrical people and, later, homosexuals, it
said. But what are the words? Does anyone know?

--
Jerry Friedman
jfrE...@nnm.cc.nm.us

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Albert Marshall

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
Quoth Jerry Friedman <jfried...@my-deja.com>

>The subject of mixtures of languages came up in alt.usage.spanish, and I
>realized that while looking up something else in the SOED, I had just
>seen the word, or two words, for English with a lot of Italian
>vocabulary. As used by theatrical people and, later, homosexuals, it
>said. But what are the words? Does anyone know?

Sounds a bit like bona palare, as in

"Hello Mr Horne, bona to vada your eek."
--
Albert Marshall

James Follett

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
In article <7u2cna$uo8$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>
jfried...@my-deja.com "Jerry Friedman" writes:

>The subject of mixtures of languages came up in alt.usage.spanish, and I
>realized that while looking up something else in the SOED, I had just
>seen the word, or two words, for English with a lot of Italian
>vocabulary. As used by theatrical people and, later, homosexuals, it
>said. But what are the words? Does anyone know?

When my dear wife reverts to Italian, it spells deep shit for
me and the cats. There's one particular word I don't understand
but her usage of it results in three panic-stricken cats jammed
side-by-side in the catflap.

--
James Follett -- novelist http://www.davew.demon.co.uk

a1a5...@sprint.ca

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99

It is probably an Italian borrowing from Korean and means 'suppper'.
All cats understand Korean.

Polar

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99

This is absolutely true! My cat even has a Korean name. It was given
to her by a Korean student who was staying with me.

My cat not only understands Korean; she understands virtually any
language one addresses to her. There may be just a teeny difficulty
with Chinese, since I understand that a change in intonation can
transform "Please pass the salt" to "I ***in the milk of your mother."
(what WAS the Hemingway phrase; brain not in gear this a.m.)

--
Polar

Jerry Friedman

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
In article <38080cb9...@news.mindspring.com>,
sme...@mindspring.com wrote:

> My cat not only understands Korean; she understands virtually any
> language one addresses to her. There may be just a teeny difficulty
> with Chinese, since I understand that a change in intonation can
> transform "Please pass the salt" to "I ***in the milk of your mother."
> (what WAS the Hemingway phrase; brain not in gear this a.m.)

I think it was, "I besmirch myself in the milk of thy mother," and I
think the Spanish is more direct: "Me cago en la leche de tu madre."
For some reason I'm getting an image of a mother cat sniffing at a bowl
of milk.

Jerry Friedman

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
In article <IyjkppAh...@execfrog.demon.co.uk>,
Albert Marshall <th...@tesco.net> wrote:
> Quoth Jerry Friedman <jfried...@my-deja.com>

> >The subject of mixtures of languages came up in alt.usage.spanish,
and I
> >realized that while looking up something else in the SOED, I had just
> >seen the word, or two words, for English with a lot of Italian
> >vocabulary. As used by theatrical people and, later, homosexuals, it
> >said. But what are the words? Does anyone know?
> >
> Sounds a bit like bona palare, as in
>
> "Hello Mr Horne, bona to vada your eek."

That's the one! Our Oxonian friends spell it palarie, palari, polari,
and (as a separate word) parlyaree, and they don't know about bona in
this sense. And what the heck might "vada your eek" mean?

Ross Howard

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 17:05:09 GMT, sme...@mindspring.com (Polar) wrote:

>My cat not only understands Korean; she understands virtually any
>language one addresses to her. There may be just a teeny difficulty
>with Chinese, since I understand that a change in intonation can
>transform "Please pass the salt" to "I ***in the milk of your mother."
>(what WAS the Hemingway phrase; brain not in gear this a.m.)

It sounds as though Hemingway got it wrong yet again|1], mixing two
shituponees that are never simultaneosuly shat upon -- *me cago en la
leche* (literally "I shit in/on the milk", although it really means "I
shit in/on the jism/cum/spunk") and *me cago en la puta* ("I shit on
the whore", a shorter version of *me cago en la puta madre que te
parió*, which means "I shit on the whore of a mother who gave birth to
you").

Other things that Spaniards regularly shit on/in with gusto are *la
hostia* (the host or communion wafer; this one is heard throughout
Spain but is particularly popular in Madrid), *el copón* (the
communion chalice; seldom used by young people nowadays ), *la má*
(supposedly *la mar*, "the sea", but really an Andalusian euphemistic
truncation of *la madre*), *Dios* (God; particularly popular in the
Basque Country), *el Demonio* (the Devil; particularly popular among
the gypsies of Sacromonte), *tus castas* ("your bloodline";
particularly popular in Cadiz); *tus muertos* ("your dead loved ones")
and, finally, the ultimate catch-all shituponee: *me cago en to'*
(Andalusian for *todo*, "everything").

[1] "Don Ernesto" is about as reliable a source on Spanish popular
culture as Al Gore is on the history of ICT development. One of my
pieces of Hemingballs is the supposedly authentic Spanish curse *la
pinga del perro* ("dog's dick"). He must have picked that one up while
he was marlin-wrestling off Yucatan or something, because here in
Spain dicks/pricks/cocks/willies are *pollas*, *vergas*, *pichas*,
*nabos* or *mingas* -- but not *pingas*. My first inkling that he was
not to be trusted on things Spanish came when I saw how, in *The
Dangerous Summer*, he chose to portray the bullfighter and notorious
fascist slob Antonio Ordoñez -- who died earlier this year -- as a
dark, fascinating man of mystery. If Ordónez knew no fear it was
simply because the man was so stupid he knew nothing at all. Perhaps
Hemingway was blinded to this obvious truth by the pertness of his
dear Antonio's satin-clad buns when he was in his prime (as soon as he
hit his 40s he bloated out in spectacularly Orsonian fashion).

Ross Howard

James Follett

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
sme...@mindspring.com "Polar" writes:

>This is absolutely true! My cat even has a Korean name. It was given
>to her by a Korean student who was staying with me.
>

>My cat not only understands Korean; she understands virtually any
>language one addresses to her. There may be just a teeny difficulty
>with Chinese, since I understand that a change in intonation can
>transform "Please pass the salt" to "I ***in the milk of your mother."
>(what WAS the Hemingway phrase; brain not in gear this a.m.)

Am I alone in worrying about Polar?

Matti Lamprhey

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
Jerry Friedman <jfried...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> In article <IyjkppAh...@execfrog.demon.co.uk>,
> Albert Marshall <th...@tesco.net> wrote:
> > Quoth Jerry Friedman <jfried...@my-deja.com>
> > >The subject of mixtures of languages came up in alt.usage.spanish,
> and I
> > >realized that while looking up something else in the SOED, I had just
> > >seen the word, or two words, for English with a lot of Italian
> > >vocabulary. As used by theatrical people and, later, homosexuals, it
> > >said. But what are the words? Does anyone know?
> > >
> > Sounds a bit like bona palare, as in
> >
> > "Hello Mr Horne, bona to vada your eek."
>
> That's the one! Our Oxonian friends spell it palarie, palari, polari,
> and (as a separate word) parlyaree, and they don't know about bona in
> this sense. And what the heck might "vada your eek" mean?

See your face.

Matti

Lee Rudolph

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
sme...@mindspring.com "Polar" writes:

>My cat not only understands Korean; she understands virtually any
>language one addresses to her. There may be just a teeny difficulty
>with Chinese, since I understand that a change in intonation can
>transform "Please pass the salt" to "I ***in the milk of your mother."
>(what WAS the Hemingway phrase; brain not in gear this a.m.)

Here's what Rey's late friend, and my beau ideal, G. Legman had
to say on the subject in _No Laughing Matter_ (Second Series of
Rationale of the Dirty Joke), p. 364:

No one who has been bouncing around in the literary
and cultural hipster activities of the last few decades in
American can be ignorant of the fact that the late Ernest
Hemingway . . . chose as running gag . . . of . . . _For Whom
the Bell Tolls_, in 1940, the Spanish food-dirtying oath,
`I shit in the milk of your mother!' This appears, however, as
`I _obscenity_ in the milk of your mother,' the explanation
being circulated -- folklore, of course -- that as he was being
paid $1 a word, each _obscenity_ netted him one buck, where
he would have been paid nothing for dashes

or (I suppose) asterisks.

Lee Rudolph

a1a5...@sprint.ca

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 18:30:12 GMT, ro...@granada.net (Ross Howard)
wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 17:05:09 GMT, sme...@mindspring.com (Polar) wrote:
>

>>My cat not only understands Korean; she understands virtually any
>>language one addresses to her. There may be just a teeny difficulty
>>with Chinese, since I understand that a change in intonation can
>>transform "Please pass the salt" to "I ***in the milk of your mother."
>>(what WAS the Hemingway phrase; brain not in gear this a.m.)

My agreement may shock you, but I too find little merit in speaking no
ill of the dead.

Albert Marshall

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
Quoth Jerry Friedman <jfried...@my-deja.com>

> Albert Marshall <th...@tesco.net> wrote:
>> >
>> Sounds a bit like bona palare, as in
>>
>> "Hello Mr Horne, bona to vada your eek."
>
>That's the one! Our Oxonian friends spell it palarie, palari, polari,
>and (as a separate word) parlyaree, and they don't know about bona in
>this sense. And what the heck might "vada your eek" mean?

Translation:

Hello Mr Horne, nice to see your face.
--
Albert Marshall

pet...@ms.com

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
In article <7u770a$eji$1...@panix3.panix.com>,
lrud...@panix.com (Lee Rudolph) wrote:

> sme...@mindspring.com "Polar" writes:
>
> >My cat not only understands Korean; she understands virtually any
> >language one addresses to her. There may be just a teeny difficulty
> >with Chinese, since I understand that a change in intonation can
> >transform "Please pass the salt" to "I ***in the milk of your
mother."
> >(what WAS the Hemingway phrase; brain not in gear this a.m.)
>
> Here's what Rey's late friend, and my beau ideal, G. Legman had
> to say on the subject in _No Laughing Matter_ (Second Series of
> Rationale of the Dirty Joke), p. 364:
>
> No one who has been bouncing around in the literary
> and cultural hipster activities of the last few decades in
> American can be ignorant of the fact that the late Ernest
> Hemingway . . . chose as running gag . . . of . . . _For Whom
> the Bell Tolls_, in 1940, the Spanish food-dirtying oath,
> `I shit in the milk of your mother!' This appears, however, as
> `I _obscenity_ in the milk of your mother,' the explanation
> being circulated -- folklore, of course -- that as he was being
> paid $1 a word, each _obscenity_ netted him one buck, where
> he would have been paid nothing for dashes
>
> or (I suppose) asterisks.
>
> Lee Rudolph

You're pretty close. The original manuscript as
submitted to Max Perkins, his editor at Schribners,
contained several profanities. Max suggested that
he take them out since this would make the novel
accessable to more people and for a longer time.
He did, but he included Robert Jordan's pet name
for Maria - rabbit. The word Rabbit is Spanish
slang for the female sex organ. Max didn't find
this out until much later. BTW, he was only paid
by the word for his newspaper dispatches.

hth
Pjk