what does “trope” means here?

Xah Lee

Jul 11, 2011, 5:23:34 AM7/11/11
in the blog article by a journalist:

〈Why I quit my job〉 (2011-07-08) By Kai Nagata. @
http://kainagata.com/2011/07/08/why-i-quit-my-job/

there's the following passage. I want to know what “trope” there
meant?

Jon Stewart talks about a “right-wing narrative of victimization,” and
what it has accomplished in Canada is the near-paralysis of
progressive voices in broadcasting. In the States, even Fox News
anchor Chris Wallace admitted there is an adversarial struggle afoot –
that, in his view, networks like NBC have a “liberal” bias and Fox is
there to tell “the other side of the story.” Well, Canada now has its
Fox News. Krista Erickson, Brian Lilley, and Ezra Levant each do a
wonderful send-up of the TV anchor character. The stodgy, neutral,
unbiased broadcaster trope is played for jokes before the Sun News
team gleefully rips into its targets. But Canada has no Jon Stewart to
unravel their ideology and act as a counterweight. Our satirists are
toothless and boring, with the notable exception of Jean-René Dufort.
And on the more serious side, we have no Keith Olbermann or Rachel
Maddow. So I don’t see any true debate within the media world itself,
in the sense of a national, public clash of ideas. The Canadian right
wing, if you want to call it that, has had five years to get the
gloves off. With a majority Conservative government in power, they’re
putting on brass knuckles. Meanwhile the left is grasping about in a
pair of potholders. The only explanation I can think of is they’re too
polite, or too scared. If it’s the latter, I think it’s clear enough
why.

Xah ∑ http://xahlee.org/

CDB

Jul 11, 2011, 8:19:31 AM7/11/11
Xah Lee wrote:
> in the blog article by a journalist:
>
> ?Why I quit my job? (2011-07-08) By Kai Nagata. @

> http://kainagata.com/2011/07/08/why-i-quit-my-job/
>
> there's the following passage. I want to know what "trope" there
> meant?

5.(literature) Something recurring across a genre or type of
literature, such as the 'mad scientist' of horror or 'once upon a time'
as introduction to fairytales. Similar to an archetype (or a cliché,
but not necessarily pejorative).

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/trope?rdfrom=Trope

> Jon Stewart talks about a "right-wing narrative of victimization,"
> and what it has accomplished in Canada is the near-paralysis of
> progressive voices in broadcasting. In the States, even Fox News
> anchor Chris Wallace admitted there is an adversarial struggle
> afoot - that, in his view, networks like NBC have a "liberal" bias

Xah Lee

Jul 11, 2011, 8:34:11 AM7/11/11
Thanks. That's the best explanation.

Xah

Don Phillipson

Jul 11, 2011, 8:32:47 AM7/11/11
"Xah Lee" <xah...@gmail.com> wrote in message

in the blog article by a journalist:

> http://kainagata.com/2011/07/08/why-i-quit-my-job/

> I want to know what "trope" there meant?
>

> . . . The stodgy, neutral,

> unbiased broadcaster trope is played for jokes before the Sun News
> team gleefully rips into its targets.

Trope is a technical term of classical (Greek) theory of prosody.
As nowadays borrowed for everyday use, it means simply a
pattern that recurs or is found in other similar contexts.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Horace LaBadie

Jul 11, 2011, 10:27:47 AM7/11/11
In article
Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:

> in the blog article by a journalist:
>
> 〈Why I quit my job〉 (2011-07-08) By Kai Nagata. @
> http://kainagata.com/2011/07/08/why-i-quit-my-job/
>
> there's the following passage. I want to know what “trope” there
> meant?
>
> Jon Stewart talks about a “right-wing narrative of victimization,” and
> what it has accomplished in Canada is the near-paralysis of
> progressive voices in broadcasting. In the States, even Fox News

> anchor Chris Wallace admitted there is an adversarial struggle afoot ミ
> that, in his view, networks like NBC have a メliberalモ bias and Fox is
> there to tell メthe other side of the story.モ Well, Canada now has its

> Fox News. Krista Erickson, Brian Lilley, and Ezra Levant each do a
> wonderful send-up of the TV anchor character. The stodgy, neutral,
> unbiased broadcaster trope is played for jokes before the Sun News
> team gleefully rips into its targets. But Canada has no Jon Stewart to
> unravel their ideology and act as a counterweight. Our satirists are

> toothless and boring, with the notable exception of Jean-Ren� Dufort.

> And on the more serious side, we have no Keith Olbermann or Rachel

> Maddow. So I donユt see any true debate within the media world itself,

> in the sense of a national, public clash of ideas. The Canadian right
> wing, if you want to call it that, has had five years to get the

> gloves off. With a majority Conservative government in power, theyユre

> putting on brass knuckles. Meanwhile the left is grasping about in a

> pair of potholders. The only explanation I can think of is theyユre too
> polite, or too scared. If itユs the latter, I think itユs clear enough
> why.
>
> Xah キ http://xahlee.org/

A frequently used or well-known device in drama or literature. The
pompous anchorman is a stereotype that is used often in comedy. Ted
Baxter in The Mary Tyler Moore show was one of the earliest examples.

Bernard Cordier

Jul 11, 2011, 11:23:43 AM7/11/11
Horace LaBadie a écrit :

> In article
> <740e8b62-7e8f-40ce...@p19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
> Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> in the blog article by a journalist:
>>
>> 〈Why I quit my job〉 (2011-07-08) By Kai Nagata. @
>> http://kainagata.com/2011/07/08/why-i-quit-my-job/
>>
>> there's the following passage. I want to know what “trope†there
>> meant?
>>
>> Jon Stewart talks about a “right-wing narrative of victimization,†and

>> what it has accomplished in Canada is the near-paralysis of
>> progressive voices in broadcasting. In the States, even Fox News
>> anchor Chris Wallace admitted there is an adversarial struggle afoot ï¾
>> that, in his view, networks like NBC have a メliberalモ bias and Fox is
>> there to tell メthe other side of the story.モ Well, Canada now has its

>> Fox News. Krista Erickson, Brian Lilley, and Ezra Levant each do a
>> wonderful send-up of the TV anchor character. The stodgy, neutral,
>> unbiased broadcaster trope is played for jokes before the Sun News
>> team gleefully rips into its targets. But Canada has no Jon Stewart to
>> unravel their ideology and act as a counterweight. Our satirists are
>> toothless and boring, with the notable exception of Jean-Ren� Dufort.

>> And on the more serious side, we have no Keith Olbermann or Rachel
>> Maddow. So I donユt see any true debate within the media world itself,

>> in the sense of a national, public clash of ideas. The Canadian right
>> wing, if you want to call it that, has had five years to get the
>> gloves off. With a majority Conservative government in power, theyユre

>> putting on brass knuckles. Meanwhile the left is grasping about in a
>> pair of potholders. The only explanation I can think of is theyユre too
>> polite, or too scared. If itユs the latter, I think itユs clear enough
>> why.
>>
>> Xah ï½· http://xahlee.org/

> A frequently used or well-known device in drama or literature. The
> pompous anchorman is a stereotype that is used often in comedy. Ted
> Baxter in The Mary Tyler Moore show was one of the earliest examples.

Could it be called an idiosyncrasy"?

--
Bernard Cordier
Ressources STG : http://bernard.cordier.pagesperso-orange.fr/

Horace LaBadie

Jul 11, 2011, 11:37:50 AM7/11/11
In article <4e1b157e$0$30782$ba4a...@reader.news.orange.fr>,
Bernard Cordier <cordier...@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Horace LaBadie a Žcrit :

> > In article
> > <740e8b62-7e8f-40ce...@p19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
> > Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> in the blog article by a journalist:
> >>

> >> ‹跏Why I quit my job‹詏 (2011-07-08) By Kai Nagata. @
> >> http://kainagata.com/2011/07/08/why-i-quit-my-job/
> >>
> >> there's the following passage. I want to know what ‰裉trope‰� there
> >> meant?
> >>
> >> Jon Stewart talks about a ‰裉right-wing narrative of victimization,‰� and

> >> what it has accomplished in Canada is the near-paralysis of
> >> progressive voices in broadcasting. In the States, even Fox News

> >> anchor Chris Wallace admitted there is an adversarial struggle afoot •3�4
> >> that, in his view, networks like NBC have a •3�4掞iberal•3�4� bias and Fox
> >> is
> >> there to tell •3�4掐he other side of the story.•3�4� Well, Canada now has

> >> its
> >> Fox News. Krista Erickson, Brian Lilley, and Ezra Levant each do a
> >> wonderful send-up of the TV anchor character. The stodgy, neutral,
> >> unbiased broadcaster trope is played for jokes before the Sun News
> >> team gleefully rips into its targets. But Canada has no Jon Stewart to
> >> unravel their ideology and act as a counterweight. Our satirists are

> >> toothless and boring, with the notable exception of Jean-Ren•�1�2 Dufort.

> >> And on the more serious side, we have no Keith Olbermann or Rachel

> >> Maddow. So I don•3�4另 see any true debate within the media world itself,

> >> in the sense of a national, public clash of ideas. The Canadian right
> >> wing, if you want to call it that, has had five years to get the

> >> gloves off. With a majority Conservative government in power, they•3�4叵e

> >> putting on brass knuckles. Meanwhile the left is grasping about in a

> >> pair of potholders. The only explanation I can think of is they•3�4叵e too
> >> polite, or too scared. If it•3�4叫 the latter, I think it•3�4叫 clear
> >> enough
> >> why.
> >>
> >> Xah •1�2� http://xahlee.org/

> > A frequently used or well-known device in drama or literature. The
> > pompous anchorman is a stereotype that is used often in comedy. Ted
> > Baxter in The Mary Tyler Moore show was one of the earliest examples.
>
> Could it be called an idiosyncrasy"?

Idiosyncratic behavior is peculiar to one person. A trope is used to
quickly set a theme or character without taking time for development or
exposition.

Mike Lyle

Jul 11, 2011, 4:10:21 PM7/11/11
On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 02:23:34 -0700 (PDT), Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>in the blog article by a journalist:
>

>?Why I quit my job? (2011-07-08) By Kai Nagata. @

>http://kainagata.com/2011/07/08/why-i-quit-my-job/
>
>there's the following passage. I want to know what “trope” there
>meant?
>

>[...]Well, Canada now has its

>Fox News. Krista Erickson, Brian Lilley, and Ezra Levant each do a
>wonderful send-up of the TV anchor character. The stodgy, neutral,
>unbiased broadcaster trope is played for jokes before the Sun News

>team gleefully rips into its targets. [...]

As far as I'm concerned, it's misused. A "trope" is a "figure of
speech"; here it's being used to mean something like "plot device", or
"stereotype", or "characterisation". It's one of those words
journalists and others seem to become aware of suddenly, and overuse
for a few years, even if not quite appropriately.

--
Mike.

Xah Lee

Jul 11, 2011, 4:37:00 PM7/11/11

when i looked up before i posted, on AHD
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=trope

no definition is given about archetype/cliche. So i posted the
question.

though, later i learned (and thru help here n elsewhere) that some
dict does seem to give a definition of archetype.

e.g.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trope
1. b : a common or overused theme or device : cliché <the usual
horror movie tropes>

the best one fitting for this use/misuse is given in wiktionary as
mentioned by CDB:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/trope?rdfrom=Trope

5. (literature) Something recurring across a genre or type of

literature, such as the ‘mad scientist’ of horror or ‘once upon a
time’ as introduction to fairytales. Similar to an archetype (or a
cliché, but not necessarily pejorative).

Wikipedia on trope also mentions such usage in passing.

Xah

Bernard Cordier

Jul 11, 2011, 4:39:48 PM7/11/11
Horace LaBadie a écrit :

> In article <4e1b157e$0$30782$ba4a...@reader.news.orange.fr>,
> Bernard Cordier <cordier...@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
>> Horace LaBadie a ÂŽcrit :

>>> In article
>>> <740e8b62-7e8f-40ce...@p19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,

>>> A frequently used or well-known device in drama or literature. The
>>> pompous anchorman is a stereotype that is used often in comedy. Ted
>>> Baxter in The Mary Tyler Moore show was one of the earliest examples.
>>
>> Could it be called an idiosyncrasy"?
>
> Idiosyncratic behavior is peculiar to one person. A trope is used to
> quickly set a theme or character without taking time for development or
> exposition.

I see. Thank you.

Peter Duncanson (BrE)

Jul 11, 2011, 4:46:34 PM7/11/11
On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 21:10:21 +0100, Mike Lyle <mike_l...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

It might be this sense in the OED, or something similar:

trope, n.

Draft additions March 2007

A significant or recurrent theme; a motif.

1975 Chicago Tribune 14 Dec. vii. 2/5 Barthelme is funning with
the eternal trope of fatherhood.
1991 D. Rieff Los Angeles ii. viii. 133 A more unvarnished
version of the same trope was Ridley Scotts film Blade Runner.
1996 Éire—Ireland Spring–Summer 191 The dichotomy between
admissable and inadmissable history, between official memory and
private experience that Casey sees as the dominant trope of Irish
ethnicity in New York.
2006 Observer (Nexis) 23 July 26 [He]..avoids the routine
tropes of teen interest while allying youth's oldest theme—loss of
innocence—with that most modern of concerns, date rape.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

R H Draney

Jul 11, 2011, 4:48:34 PM7/11/11
Xah Lee filted:

>Thanks. That's the best explanation.

It's not your fault (other than your decision to throw in your lot with a bad
crowd), but Google Groups has arranged it so that your message is in reply to
nothing at all, leaving the definition of your "That" more than a little
uncertain....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

Mike Lyle

Jul 11, 2011, 6:35:58 PM7/11/11

Yes: it hacks me off, though. I'm probably exposed to more journalese
than is good for me -- most regrettably, much of it on BBC Radio: I'm
amassing a fair old list of perfectly decent words I never want to see
or hear again. But I can live with it.

--
Mike.

Peter Moylan

Jul 11, 2011, 11:58:04 PM7/11/11
Horace LaBadie wrote:
> In article <4e1b157e$0$30782$ba4a...@reader.news.orange.fr>,
> Bernard Cordier <cordier...@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
>> Horace LaBadie a ÂŽcrit :

>>> In article
>>> <740e8b62-7e8f-40ce...@p19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,

This subthread is starting to look like what happens when you pass
something through an on-line translator several times. With each
iteration, the punctuation is becoming weirder. wierder. weirder. I used
to be able to spell that word.

--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.

R H Draney

Jul 12, 2011, 5:28:49 AM7/12/11
Peter Moylan filted:

>This subthread is starting to look like what happens when you pass
>something through an on-line translator several times. With each
>iteration, the punctuation is becoming weirder. wierder. weirder. I used
>to be able to spell that word.

Until you quoted it, I could at least name all the characters in the Subject:
header, but now there's a Chinese thing in there that http://www.zhongwen.com
tells me is pronounced "qi�" and means "pinch" or "grasp"....r

Prai Jei

Jul 12, 2011, 6:05:56 PM7/12/11
Xah Lee set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time
continuum:

> in the blog article by a journalist:
>
> 〈Why I quit my job〉 (2011-07-08) By Kai Nagata. @
> http://kainagata.com/2011/07/08/why-i-quit-my-job/
>
> there's the following passage. I want to know what “trope” there
> meant?

Mistake for "type" perhaps.
--
ξ:) Proud to be curly

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply