Commas and lists

1 view

Gene Venable

Apr 27, 1994, 3:55:07 AM4/27/94
P> >I just took an "Effective Business Writing" class from Liz Brubaker,
P> >who used to teach at UCLA, and she said, "ALWAYS use a comma in a
P> >series of three or more." I wanted to call her on it, so I went home
P> >and started checking sources. Older sources (sigh) said it was a
P> >matter of choice, but new sources _all_ said that you should use the
P> >serial comma. Then, after the class, I read _The Lawyer's Guide to
P> >Writing Well_ (1989); the editors couldn't agree.
P>
P> You expected lawyers to _agree_ ? :-)
P>
P> ///Peter

And it's not true that ALL new sources agree. Picking up the grammar
book lying under my chair (The Handbook of Good English, Edward D.
Johnson, Washington Square Press, 1991), I found the following:

"This rule is old-fashioned. Most newspapers and magazines do not use
the comma before and--called the final serial comma--and a few book
publishers recommend not using it. Don't use it if you don't want to."
(Johnson himself prefers the comma)

--Gene

---
ş KWQ/2 1.2e NR ş Please report this to the comma czar.

JASON GROENJES

Apr 30, 1994, 7:16:29 PM4/30/94
Gene Venable (gen...@kaiwan.com) wrote:
: P> >I just took an "Effective Business Writing" class from Liz Brubaker,

: --Gene

Commakazes go down in flames.

--Roger