How is "Wikipedia" pronounced?

Fancy...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2006, 11:13:17 AM7/24/06
This may sound stupid, but how is the word "Wikipedia" pronounced? I've
never actually heard it aloud from a knowledgable source.

Is it "We-Key" pedia? "Wi (wind) key" "Wi ki (kill)" "Why Key"? I have
no idea.

I looked on Wikipedia's ABOUT page, but couldn't find anything at first
glance.

Any ideas? Anything more substantial than your preference?

Father Ignatius

Jul 24, 2006, 11:22:44 AM7/24/06
<Fancy...@gmail.com> wrote in message

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia (presumably authoritative)

--

Nat

"Ignore barracking from the dyspeptic."
--Mike Lyle

Salvatore Volatile

Jul 24, 2006, 11:49:58 AM7/24/06
Fancy...@gmail.com wrote:
> This may sound stupid, but how is the word "Wikipedia" pronounced? I've
> never actually heard it aloud from a knowledgable source.
>
> Is it "We-Key" pedia? "Wi (wind) key" "Wi ki (kill)" "Why Key"? I have
> no idea.

/wIk@'pidi@/ (or /wIkI'pidj@/ in BrE I s'pose). "Wick-a-pedia",
"Wick-ih-pedia".

> Any ideas? Anything more substantial than your preference?

Sure. I hear people pronounce it all the time, and there's only one
pronunciation anyone uses.

--
Salvatore Volatile

Peacenik

Jul 25, 2006, 8:33:20 AM7/25/06
"Salvatore Volatile" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> Fancy...@gmail.com wrote:
> > This may sound stupid, but how is the word "Wikipedia" pronounced? I've
> > never actually heard it aloud from a knowledgable source.
> >
> > Is it "We-Key" pedia? "Wi (wind) key" "Wi ki (kill)" "Why Key"? I have
> > no idea.
>
> /wIk@'pidi@/ (or /wIkI'pidj@/ in BrE I s'pose). "Wick-a-pedia",
> "Wick-ih-pedia".

The above are how I've always heard it.

Fancy...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2006, 10:13:48 AM7/29/06
Thanks for your help. I never noticed the pronunciation diagram next to
the title. I checked it and according to Wikipedia's own definition
there are 3 usable pronunciations.

Wee kee pedia
Wicki pedia (both i's as in city)
Wikee pedia