Podium. lectern, rostrum, dais

Dingbat

Oct 19, 2016, 1:03:41 AM10/19/16
Re: Hillary needs podium
> http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/emails-hillary-needs-podium-speak/

That wooden stand is what is called a “lectern”. On the other hand, a “podium”
refers to an elevated platform on which the speaker stands on. It’s like a
stage. A “lectern” may also be placed on the “podium.” What about “rostrum”?
A “rostrum” is also an elevated platform which a speaker stands on, much like
a “podium”, except for the fact that a “rostrum” is just for one speaker.
https://cebusouthtoastmastersclub.wordpress.com/2012/12/01/lectern-vs-podium-vs-rostrum/

How accurate is the above? Refer to this too:

What's a dais?
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dais

Dingbat

Oct 19, 2016, 1:31:10 AM10/19/16

Dr. Jai Maharaj

Oct 19, 2016, 1:48:03 AM10/19/16
New Emails: Hillary Needs Podium, 'Cannot Walk Around'

In 2009, Abedin said Clinton would object to speaking
with crowd on both sides or without podium

By Edmund Kozak
LifeZette, lifezette.com
Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Emails obtained by Citizens United through a Freedom of
Information Act (FOIA) request and released on Tuesday
suggest that walking around a stage may have been a
challenging burden for Hillary Clinton as early as 2009.

In a 2009 email exchange between top Clinton aide Huma
Abedin and Clinton Global Initiative employees Amitabh
Desai and Ed Hughes, Abedin revealed that Clinton could
not walk around the stage like her husband Bill Clinton
and would need a podium for an upcoming address.

Continues at:
http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/emails-hillary-needs-podium-speak/

Forwarded post:

I think what Huma "Scissorgirl" Abedin means is
lectern... not podium.

Posted by RoosterRedux

End of forwarded post.

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://bit.do/jaimaharaj

Horace LaBadie

Oct 19, 2016, 10:31:33 AM10/19/16
In article <a783c687-84b6-445e...@googlegroups.com>,
Dingbat <ranjit_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 10:33:41 AM UTC+5:30, Dingbat wrote:
> > Re: Hillary needs podium
> > > http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/emails-hillary-needs-podium-speak/
> >

> > That wooden stand is what is called a “lectern”. On the other hand, a
> > “podium”
> > refers to an elevated platform on which the speaker stands on. It’s like a
> > stage. A “lectern” may also be placed on the “podium.” What about
> > “rostrum”?
> > A “rostrum” is also an elevated platform which a speaker stands on, much
> > like
> > a “podium”, except for the fact that a “rostrum” is just for one speaker.
> > https://cebusouthtoastmastersclub.wordpress.com/2012/12/01/lectern-vs-podium
> > -vs-rostrum/
> >

> > How accurate is the above? Refer to this too:
> >

> > What's a dais?
> > http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dais
>

> Conductor's rostrum 1m x 1m
> http://www.ratstands.com/all-conductor-stands/stage4-conductors-rostrum/

The original rostra.

<http://www.roman-empire.net/tours/rome/rostrum.html>

Steve Hayes

Nov 3, 2016, 3:17:21 AM11/3/16
On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 22:03:38 -0700, Dingbat wrote:

> That wooden stand is what is called a “lectern”. On the other hand, a
> “podium”
> refers to an elevated platform on which the speaker stands on. It’s
> like a stage. A “lectern” may also be placed on the “podium.” What
> about “rostrum”?
> A “rostrum” is also an elevated platform which a speaker stands on,
> much like a “podium”, except for the fact that a “rostrum” is just for
> one speaker.

Formula 1 drivers are said to achieve a "podium" -- would it be more
accurate to say that they achieve a rostrum?

--
Steve Hayes http://khanya.wordpress.com

Dingbat

Nov 3, 2016, 3:32:42 AM11/3/16
The Rostra was the platform from which orators spoke to the assembled people,
its name taken from the bronze ships' beaks that decorated the front (the
first were from the victory at Antium in 338 BC), their supporting vertical
slots and large dowel holes still to be seen.
penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/romanforum/rostra.html

charles

Nov 3, 2016, 4:00:26 AM11/3/16
In article <3c476d09-0744-47f2...@googlegroups.com>, Dingbat
<ranjit_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 8:01:33 PM UTC+5:30, Horace LaBadie
> wrote:
> > In article <a783c687-84b6-445e...@googlegroups.com>,
> > Dingbat <ranjit_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Conductor's rostrum 1m x 1m
> > > http://www.ratstands.com/all-conductor-stands/stage4-conductors-rostrum/
> >

> > The original rostra.
> >
> > <http://www.roman-empire.net/tours/rome/rostrum.html>

> The Rostra was the platform

"Rostra" is the plural of "Rostrum"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Richard Heathfield

Nov 3, 2016, 4:11:48 AM11/3/16
But they don't speak (at least, not at that point); they just spray
champagne everywhere. And if they don't speak, they're not speakers, so
how can they achieve a platform that is only for speakers?

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Richard Heathfield

Nov 3, 2016, 4:14:17 AM11/3/16
"Rostra" /are/ the plurals of "Rostrum". So they're.

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Nov 3, 2016, 6:18:39 AM11/3/16
Not really. It is the first three in an F1 race who "podium".

In that context "podium" is used as a verb. That use seems to have
originated in the US:
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/podium

verb
[NO OBJECT]US

(of a competitor in a sporting event) finish first, second, or
third, so as to appear on a podium to receive an award.

(selected quotations:)

‘older riders who expected to podium may find themselves racing
against other riders who are years younger’

‘This is the team in which every rider has podiumed in an NRC
event.’

‘I realized it was not worth it to go out and run the 1,600 if there
was a chance I wouldn't podium.’

‘Four years ago at the Turin Games, skiers and snowboarders could be
heard talking casually about their hopes to podium.’

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

Peter T. Daniels

Nov 3, 2016, 7:48:14 AM11/3/16
The Rostra was one platform adorned with numerous _rostra_.

Steve Hayes

Nov 5, 2016, 2:13:20 PM11/5/16
On Thu, 03 Nov 2016 10:18:20 +0000, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Nov 2016 07:16:52 -0000 (UTC), Steve Hayes
> <haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 22:03:38 -0700, Dingbat wrote:
>>
>>> That wooden stand is what is called a “lectern”. On the other hand, a
>>> “podium”
>>> refers to an elevated platform on which the speaker stands on. It’s
>>> like a stage. A “lectern” may also be placed on the “podium.” What
>>> about “rostrum”?
>>> A “rostrum” is also an elevated platform which a speaker stands on,
>>> much like a “podium”, except for the fact that a “rostrum” is just
>>> for one speaker.
>>
>>Formula 1 drivers are said to achieve a "podium" -- would it be more
>>accurate to say that they achieve a rostrum?
>
> Not really. It is the first three in an F1 race who "podium".
>
> In that context "podium" is used as a verb. That use seems to have
> originated in the US:
> https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/podium

I've not heard it used as a verb. What I usually hear is that so-and-so
"got a podium", which is short for "got to stand on the podium at the end
of the race and squirt champagne"