'An email' or 'a email'

kaisuny

Apr 1, 2002, 9:38:22 AM4/1/02
A e-mail or an e-mail?

'A' or 'an' before the noun 'e-mail'?

Bob Lipton

Apr 1, 2002, 9:51:49 AM4/1/02

kaisuny wrote:

> A e-mail or an e-mail?
>
> 'A' or 'an' before the noun 'e-mail'?

I don't consider "email" to be the word for a single piece of email,
any more than "mail" is the word for a single piece of mail.
For the matter of whether a word takes "a" or "an" say the word. If
it begins with a vowel, it takes "an"

Bob

Richard Fontana

Apr 1, 2002, 9:57:47 AM4/1/02
On 1 Apr 2002, kaisuny wrote:

> A e-mail or an e-mail?
>
> 'A' or 'an' before the noun 'e-mail'?

"An" in Standard English, because "e-mail" begins with a vowel (a vowel
phoneme, more precisely, I guess, BWDIKIJATP).

Destroycps!

Apr 1, 2002, 11:02:53 AM4/1/02
rf243

> > A e-mail or an e-mail?

Richard Fontana

> "An" in Standard English, because "e-mail" begins with a vowel (a
vowel
> phoneme, more precisely, I guess, BWDIKIJATP).

Nehmo
BWDIKIJATP ?

--
**************************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

-RZ

Apr 1, 2002, 11:23:54 AM4/1/02

"Destroycps!" <destr...@email.com> wrote in message

> rf243
> > > A e-mail or an e-mail?
>
> Richard Fontana
> > "An" in Standard English, because "e-mail" begins with a vowel (a
> vowel
> > phoneme, more precisely, I guess, BWDIKIJATP).
>
> Nehmo
> BWDIKIJATP ?

But What Do I Know; I'm Just A Taffy Puller?
Beautiful Words Don't Indicate Knowledge; Joking About The Petunias?
By Which Don't I Know I'm Just Another Technician, Probably?

Richard Fontana

Apr 1, 2002, 12:35:30 PM4/1/02
On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Destroycps! wrote:

> rf243
> > > A e-mail or an e-mail?
>
> Richard Fontana
> > "An" in Standard English, because "e-mail" begins with a vowel (a
> vowel
> > phoneme, more precisely, I guess, BWDIKIJATP).
>
> Nehmo
> BWDIKIJATP ?

"But what do I know? I'm just a trombone player." -- Bill Lowe

http://www.learner.org/channel/workshops/nextmove/images/music.jpg

Looks like he's at Northeastern these days:
http://www.casdn.neu.edu/~music/Faculty/Lowe/William_Lowe.html

Charles Riggs

Apr 1, 2002, 11:54:09 PM4/1/02
On Mon, 01 Apr 2002 14:51:49 GMT, Bob Lipton <bobl...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>kaisuny wrote:
>
>> A e-mail or an e-mail?
>>
>> 'A' or 'an' before the noun 'e-mail'?
>

>I don't consider "email" to be the word for a single piece of email,
>any more than "mail" is the word for a single piece of mail.

I agree, but what substitute, in cyberworld, can we use for "letter"?
An "email message"? Shirley, we can do better than that.

Charles Riggs

mathu...@gmail.com

May 24, 2020, 9:22:05 PM5/24/20
Wtf