Trump-l'œil: The Twilight Zone

pensive hamster

Jan 16, 2017, 12:44:54 PM1/16/17

President Trump: The Inauguration

4pm, BBC One/ STV Fri 20 Jan 2017

'After a long absence, The Twilight Zone returns with one of the
most ambitious, expensive and controversial productions in
broadcast history. Sci-fi writers have dabbled often with alternative
history stories - among the most common is the "What If The Nazis
Had Won The Second World War" setting - but this huge interactive
virtual reality project, which will unfold on TV, in the press, and on
Twitter over the next four years, sets out to build an ongoing
alternative present.

'The story begins in a nightmarish version of 2017 in which huge
sections of the US electorate have somehow been duped into voting
to make Donald Trump president. It sounds far-fetched, and it is,
but as it goes on it becomes more and more chillingly plausible.

'Today's feature-length opener concentrates on the gaudy inauguration
of President Trump, and the stirrings of protest and despair surrounding
the ceremony, while pundits speculate gravely on what lies ahead. It's a
flawed piece, but a disturbing glimpse of the horrors we could stumble
into, if we're not careful.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-38635518
The Sunday Herald TV Section

Harrison Hill

Jan 16, 2017, 4:22:06 PM1/16/17
Here you have three lots of bad losers. 1) Scots. 2) Remainers.
3) Democrats. They believe in rights for others, as long as they
can dictate what is right for them :)

David Kleinecke

Jan 16, 2017, 4:29:14 PM1/16/17
In defense of Democrats: Since the days of Dwight Eisenhower us
Democrats have put with a succession of inferior grade Republican
Presidents and only grumped. This time the Republicans have gone
too far. Our patience is exhausted.

Mack A. Damia

Jan 16, 2017, 4:46:16 PM1/16/17
There has been a movement here to invite Obama to run for President of
Mexico, as nobody likes the guy in office now. Also, there is another
movement to persuade Obama to resign on Wednesday, so Biden has to be
sworn in as the 45th President. All of Trump's inauguration
memorabilia would then have the wrong number, as he would be the 46th.
It won't happen, of course.

Harrison Hill

Jan 16, 2017, 4:47:27 PM1/16/17
He isn't there yet - a bit too early to sum up his Presidency?

A friendship with Putin and a hostility to China and Europe?
He seems to associate himself closely with Brexit. Nigel
Farage has done Britain no great harm. Hopefully Athel will
be along in a minute to confirm my understanding of that :)

Trump is truly a germophobe. There is nothing you could say
about him more unlikely than the current accusations.

Tony Cooper

Jan 16, 2017, 5:14:18 PM1/16/17
On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 13:47:25 -0800 (PST), Harrison Hill
<harrison...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Trump is truly a germophobe. There is nothing you could say
>about him more unlikely than the current accusations.

Really? As I understand it, he ordered and watched
the...uhhh...display. Even if he participated, at his age he should
have been standing far enough away to have avoided contact.

I don't remember his earlier statement being "If I put on a hazard
suit, face mask, and latex gloves, I can grab any pussy I want to."

He didn't exactly act like Howard Hughes or Howie Mandel on the
campaign trail.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Harrison Hill

Jan 16, 2017, 5:46:38 PM1/16/17
He's just an ordinary bloke. That film of Bill Clinton with
the air-stewardess is properly sordid. Hilary trying to snuff
it out made her look foolish.

I don't know if you have any connection to the internet. If
you do you might find a few things worse.

For the future these are two of the biggest problems:

1) Everyone taking video recordings of everyone else all the
time (we all make mistakes).

2) Children producing child-porn for their own consumption.

The world isn't right; so let's give Trump a chance to try to
make it better :)

Peter Moylan

Jan 16, 2017, 7:18:44 PM1/16/17
On 2017-Jan-17 08:29, David Kleinecke wrote:

> In defense of Democrats: Since the days of Dwight Eisenhower us
> Democrats have put with a succession of inferior grade Republican
> Presidents and only grumped. This time the Republicans have gone
> too far. Our patience is exhausted.

Is it really the Republicans' fault? I thought they were madly trying to
get rid of him towards the end.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Horace LaBadie

Jan 16, 2017, 7:28:12 PM1/16/17
In article <728e8e52-fe62-4631...@googlegroups.com>,
Harrison Hill <harrison...@gmail.com> wrote:

SNIP

> The world isn't right; so let's give Trump a chance to try to
> make it better :)

One might quote Malcolm from The Scottish Play (Act One, scene 4) at
this point, if one were mean-spirited.

David Kleinecke

Jan 16, 2017, 7:35:23 PM1/16/17
Actually I agree with HH. As of this moment Trump has
not DONE anything bad, wrong, misguided, etc.

But, boy, has his talk been objectionable.

On the 20th all that changes.

Peter T. Daniels

Jan 16, 2017, 11:19:24 PM1/16/17
On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 5:46:38 PM UTC-5, Harrison Hill wrote:
> On Monday, 16 January 2017 22:14:18 UTC, Tony Cooper wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 13:47:25 -0800 (PST), Harrison Hill
> > <harrison...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >Trump is truly a germophobe. There is nothing you could say
> > >about him more unlikely than the current accusations.
> > Really? As I understand it, he ordered and watched
> > the...uhhh...display. Even if he participated, at his age he should
> > have been standing far enough away to have avoided contact.
> > I don't remember his earlier statement being "If I put on a hazard
> > suit, face mask, and latex gloves, I can grab any pussy I want to."
> > He didn't exactly act like Howard Hughes or Howie Mandel on the
> > campaign trail.

Apparently you didn't listen to the "press conference." He said the pp-story
couldn't be true because he's a well-known germophobe. (Is that the biggest
word he's ever used?)

> He's just an ordinary bloke. That film of Bill Clinton with
> the air-stewardess is properly sordid. Hilary trying to snuff
> it out made her look foolish.

What _are_ you talking about?

Jenny Telia

Jan 17, 2017, 5:38:33 AM1/17/17
On 17/01/2017 01:35, David Kleinecke wrote:

> Actually I agree with HH. As of this moment Trump has
> not DONE anything bad, wrong, misguided, etc.

You forgot to add '...as President'. I think his
views/insults/post-truths during the run up to the presidency cannot be
dismissed 'not DONE anything bad, wrong, misguided....". Either you have
a blinkered view or the memory span of a gerbil. Being a forgiving
liberal can be overdone sometimes.

HVS

Jan 17, 2017, 7:45:26 AM1/17/17
On 17 Jan 2017, David Kleinecke wrote
FSV of "done". Gaming the bancruptcy laws a few times to shaft small
suppliers, bragging about his tax avoidance and pussy-grabbing, bad-mouthing
the intelligence agencies for stating the bleedin' obvious about Russian
intelligence activities count as more than just "talk" in my book.

--
Cheers, Harvey
CanEng (30yrs) and BrEng (34yrs), indiscriminately mixed

Harrison Hill

Jan 17, 2017, 8:10:51 AM1/17/17
On Monday, 16 January 2017 21:29:14 UTC, David Kleinecke wrote:
This isn't a criticism, and "us Democrats" seems perfectly normal
in my BrE. Take out the "D" word however and you have "us have put [up]
with" - a problem you don't have using "we Democrats"; which I would
find equally normal.

Peter T. Daniels

Jan 17, 2017, 10:31:27 AM1/17/17
"Us Tareyton smokers would rather fight than switch" was coaeval with "Winston
tastes good like a cigarette should" and occasioned as much comment.

Tony Cooper

Jan 17, 2017, 10:55:44 AM1/17/17
Old Gold cigarettes ran television commercials in which Dennis James
said "Made by tobacco men, not medicine men". There were no tribal
protests that I remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZRzBGpLsB8

Harrison Hill

Jan 17, 2017, 10:59:51 AM1/17/17
I don't understand that. Do you mean: "...very frankly he confess'd
his treasons"? Malcolm has only one speech in Act I iv:

"MALCOLM
My liege,
They are not yet come back. But I have spoke
With one that saw him die: who did report
That very frankly he confess'd his treasons,
Implored your highness' pardon and set forth
A deep repentance: nothing in his life
Became him like the leaving it; he died
As one that had been studied in his death
To throw away the dearest thing he owed,
As 'twere a careless trifle".

Horace LaBadie

Jan 17, 2017, 11:41:44 AM1/17/17

David Kleinecke

Jan 17, 2017, 12:50:03 PM1/17/17
I'm of the stick and stones can break my bones but
names can never hurt me school. I differentiate speech
from action. I agree his campaign was a farrago of vile
innuendo and lies - but that's not action. I do not
understand the wide-spread visceral hatred of Hillary
Clinton and I don't think he is wholly responsible for it.

I claim to be a Social Justice Warrior but I would fight
to protect every damned idiot's right to speak his piece.

Mack A. Damia

Jan 17, 2017, 12:54:34 PM1/17/17
On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 09:49:58 -0800 (PST), David Kleinecke
<dklei...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm of the stick and stones can break my bones but
>names can never hurt me school. I differentiate speech
>from action. I agree his campaign was a farrago of vile
>innuendo and lies - but that's not action. I do not
>understand the wide-spread visceral hatred of Hillary
>Clinton and I don't think he is wholly responsible for it.

She's a woman, and the President is black.

David Kleinecke

Jan 17, 2017, 12:57:18 PM1/17/17
Right. He has not yet done anything as President. He has
probably already committed numerous actual crimes and he
has demonstrably gamed the system immorally. Not to mention
just being a deplorable person and the builder of a
large number of ugly objects.

What fool allowed him to take possession of Lago-a-Mar which
was given to the US government for idealistic purposes?

Janet

Jan 17, 2017, 1:47:11 PM1/17/17
In article <d7d9d15f-fc5a-4580...@googlegroups.com>,
dklei...@gmail.com says...

> On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 2:38:33 AM UTC-8, Jenny Telia wrote:
> > On 17/01/2017 01:35, David Kleinecke wrote:
> >

> > > Actually I agree with HH. As of this moment Trump has
> > > not DONE anything bad, wrong, misguided, etc.
> > >

> > You forgot to add '...as President'. I think his
> > views/insults/post-truths during the run up to the presidency cannot be
> > dismissed 'not DONE anything bad, wrong, misguided....". Either you have
> > a blinkered view or the memory span of a gerbil. Being a forgiving
> > liberal can be overdone sometimes.
>
> I'm of the stick and stones can break my bones but
> names can never hurt me school. I differentiate speech
> from action. I agree his campaign was a farrago of vile
> innuendo and lies - but that's not action. I do not
> understand the wide-spread visceral hatred of Hillary
> Clinton and I don't think he is wholly responsible for it.

But he deliberately encouraged it, for his own advantage. Winning a
presidential election is hardline action, it can't be ignored like a
playground insult.

Janet

David Kleinecke

Jan 17, 2017, 2:41:22 PM1/17/17
Oh sure - but he didn't take action to win the Presidency. It
was the action of a basket of deplorables - he just benefitted.

Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Jan 17, 2017, 2:58:04 PM1/17/17
A brief quotation from the "TMS" diary column in The Times of London:

Storylines repeat themselves: first as a throwaway thriller, then as
real life. John Harthman, a reader, has directed me to a 1980 novel
by Ted Allbeury called The Twentieth Day of January, which is about
a Republican populist getting elected president of the United
States. It turns out that his chief adviser is under the influence
of the Kremlin, a connection that is unearthed by a British
intelligence officer.

When confronted with evidence that the Russians have sexually
compromising pictures of him, the president-elect takes an overdose,
which the CIA passes off as a heart attack. Surely that’s too
implausible . . .

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

Janet

Jan 17, 2017, 3:05:16 PM1/17/17
In article <b57b8eb9-b967-4179...@googlegroups.com>,
dklei...@gmail.com says...

> On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 10:47:11 AM UTC-8, Janet wrote:
> > In article <d7d9d15f-fc5a-4580...@googlegroups.com>,
> > dklei...@gmail.com says...

> > > I'm of the stick and stones can break my bones but
> > > names can never hurt me school. I differentiate speech
> > > from action. I agree his campaign was a farrago of vile
> > > innuendo and lies - but that's not action. I do not
> > > understand the wide-spread visceral hatred of Hillary
> > > Clinton and I don't think he is wholly responsible for it.
> >
> > But he deliberately encouraged it, for his own advantage. Winning a
> > presidential election is hardline action, it can't be ignored like a
> > playground insult.
>
> Oh sure - but he didn't take action to win the Presidency.

He took action by running a campaign of vile innuendo and lies.

Janet.

pensive hamster

Jan 17, 2017, 3:33:11 PM1/17/17
On Tuesday, 17 January 2017 20:05:16 UTC, Janet wrote:
> dkleinecke says...
> > On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 10:47:11 AM UTC-8, Janet wrote:
> > > dkleinecke says...

> > > But he deliberately encouraged it, for his own advantage. Winning a
> > > presidential election is hardline action, it can't be ignored like a
> > > playground insult.
> >
> > Oh sure - but he didn't take action to win the Presidency.
>
> He took action by running a campaign of vile innuendo and lies.

I happened to see Alan Greenspan (former Chairman of the US
Federal Reserve) interviewed on TV shortly after Trump's election
victory. He said that Trump is an actor, a showman, and that he
had played the role of a no-nonsense populist, a friend of the
ordinary working man. Come his inauguration, he will start to play
the role of President.

That was the gist of Greenspan's comments, I can't remember
his exact words, I was in a kind of sofa mode at the time, just
watching TV without paying close attention.

Presumably Greenspan meant that Trump realises that being
POTUS is an important job, and he won't look good if he messes
it up; plus the US establishment has ways of ensuring that things
don't go too far off the rails.

So that seems a moderately optimistic assessment on Greenspan's
part. Though he doesn't have an unblemished record on foreseeing
the future.

Jerry Friedman

Jan 17, 2017, 3:37:48 PM1/17/17
On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 5:18:44 PM UTC-7, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 2017-Jan-17 08:29, David Kleinecke wrote:
>
> > In defense of Democrats: Since the days of Dwight Eisenhower us
> > Democrats have put with a succession of inferior grade Republican
> > Presidents and only grumped. This time the Republicans have gone
> > too far. Our patience is exhausted.
>
> Is it really the Republicans' fault? I thought they were madly trying to
> get rid of him towards the end.

That was the beginning and the middle. Towards the end the Republican
leaders were forcing themselves to say nice things about him. Lots of
Republican voters supported him the whole time.

--
Jerry Friedman

Tak To

Jan 17, 2017, 3:46:44 PM1/17/17
On 1/16/2017 4:22 PM, Harrison Hill wrote:
> On Monday, 16 January 2017 17:44:54 UTC, pensive hamster wrote:
>> President Trump: The Inauguration
>>
>> 4pm, BBC One/ STV Fri 20 Jan 2017
>>
>> 'After a long absence, The Twilight Zone returns with one of the
>> most ambitious, expensive and controversial productions in
>> broadcast history. Sci-fi writers have dabbled often with alternative
>> history stories - among the most common is the "What If The Nazis
>> Had Won The Second World War" setting - but this huge interactive
>> virtual reality project, which will unfold on TV, in the press, and on
>> Twitter over the next four years, sets out to build an ongoing
>> alternative present.
>>
>> 'The story begins in a nightmarish version of 2017 in which huge
>> sections of the US electorate have somehow been duped into voting
>> to make Donald Trump president. It sounds far-fetched, and it is,
>> but as it goes on it becomes more and more chillingly plausible.
>>
>> 'Today's feature-length opener concentrates on the gaudy inauguration
>> of President Trump, and the stirrings of protest and despair surrounding
>> the ceremony, while pundits speculate gravely on what lies ahead. It's a
>> flawed piece, but a disturbing glimpse of the horrors we could stumble
>> into, if we're not careful.'
>
> Here you have three lots of bad losers. 1) Scots. 2) Remainers.
> 3) Democrats. They believe in rights for others, as long as they
> can dictate what is right for them :)

You realize that the "Democrats" actually won the popular
vote?

--
Tak
Tak To ta...@alum.mit.eduxx

Tony Cooper

Jan 17, 2017, 5:11:26 PM1/17/17
On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 09:57:16 -0800 (PST), David Kleinecke
<dklei...@gmail.com> wrote:

>What fool allowed him [Trump] to take possession of Lago-a-Mar which
>was given to the US government for idealistic purposes?

The estate is Mar-a-Lago to the non-dyslexic.

Marjorie Merriweather Post willed it to the US government hoping that
it would used as a Winter White House. This was in 1973. The US
Government returned it to the Post Foundation in 1981 because there
had been no interest in using the estate for that purpose, and the
upkeep was expensive.

Trump offered to buy the estate from the Post Foundation for $15
million, but his offer was turned down. Trump then threatened to buy
nearby property and block Mar-a-Lago's beach view and access. He then
lowered his bid to $8 million and bought the property in 1985.

Rich Ulrich

Jan 17, 2017, 6:18:07 PM1/17/17
He will start to play the role of President -
"Once he is assured of being nominated..."
"Once is is actually nominated..."
"After he is elected, if he happens to win the vote..."

Trump himself has claimed that he is much the same person that
he was as a child. I see him acting consistently as the 13-year-old
incorrigible who was headed for reform school; he learned at a
military academy (instead) how to avoid breaking those laws that
would send him to jail.

It seems like /vast/ optimism that this life-long bully and liar will
become "presidential" except (as Kellyanne Conway says), If he
is the President and does X, then X is Presidential by definition.

I'm reminded of Nixon and his Watergate burglar, G. Gordon Liddy.
Nixon: If the President does it, it is not illegal.
Liddy: If you didn't serve time for it, it was not really illegal.

If I can figure out what it means to "not recognize him as
legitimate President," I might have to take that position.

>That was the gist of Greenspan's comments, I can't remember
>his exact words, I was in a kind of sofa mode at the time, just
>watching TV without paying close attention.
>
>Presumably Greenspan meant that Trump realises that being
>POTUS is an important job, and he won't look good if he messes
>it up; plus the US establishment has ways of ensuring that things
>don't go too far off the rails.
>
>So that seems a moderately optimistic assessment on Greenspan's
>part. Though he doesn't have an unblemished record on foreseeing
>the future.

If it wasn't his actions at the Federal Reserve that led to the 2008
mortgage crash, it was (arguably) his 40 years of preaching
de-regulation. (FWIW, he was an early acolyte of Ayn Rand.)

--
Rich Ulrich

Edmund

Jan 17, 2017, 11:51:40 PM1/17/17
She's a criminal, and the President is mulatto.

Rich Ulrich

Jan 18, 2017, 2:39:53 AM1/18/17
I find it interesting to note that, even as Congress is trying to
repeal Obamacare, 45% of the people polled now approve of it --
the highest rating it has ever had. (Gee, facts are coming out. Myths
are being dispelled.)

With just a couple of days to his ceremony on Friday, the polled
approval rating of Donald Trump has slipped to 38%. (Gee....)
Immediately prior to first inauguration, Obama was at 78% and Bill
Clinton and George W. Bush were in the 60s.

--
Rich Ulrich

occam

Jan 18, 2017, 3:06:02 AM1/18/17
OK, now someone needs to serialize the Allbeury novel, and keep track of
the development of the plot. Better still, turn to the last page and
broadcast the ending. :-)

Peter T. Daniels

Jan 18, 2017, 10:29:24 AM1/18/17
On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 2:39:53 AM UTC-5, Rich Ulrich wrote:

> I find it interesting to note that, even as Congress is trying to
> repeal Obamacare, 45% of the people polled now approve of it --
> the highest rating it has ever had. (Gee, facts are coming out. Myths
> are being dispelled.)

And most of the disapprovers want the replacement as soon as the repeal happens.
Which is Trump's position, but probably not that of his Health & Human Services
designee, whose hearing is being held up because of serious insider-trading
questions -- as a congressman he introduced legislation to benefit certain
health corporations shortly after he bought stock in the affected companies.

Mack A. Damia

Jan 18, 2017, 12:14:56 PM1/18/17
Best to stay silent, English bed-wetting troll, and remove all doubt
as to your abysmal ignorance.

Mack A. Damia

Jan 18, 2017, 12:23:17 PM1/18/17
>Best to stay silent, English bed-wetting troll, or remove all doubt

Jack Campin

Jan 18, 2017, 12:28:51 PM1/18/17
>> As of this moment Trump has not DONE anything bad, wrong, misguided, etc.
> FSV of "done". Gaming the bancruptcy laws a few times to shaft small
> suppliers, bragging about his tax avoidance and pussy-grabbing, bad-mouthing
> the intelligence agencies for stating the bleedin' obvious about Russian
> intelligence activities count as more than just "talk" in my book.

Destroying a large chunk of the Scottish natural environment to make
a quick buck is action too. And that was long before he thought of
standing for office.

mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

Mack A. Damia

Jan 18, 2017, 12:31:23 PM1/18/17
On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 09:23:09 -0800, Mack A. Damia
Is that you at the very end?

http://addictinginfo.org/2017/01/18/watch-people-interviewed-explain-why-affordable-care-act-is-better-than-obamacare/

Sam Plusnet

Jan 18, 2017, 1:16:12 PM1/18/17
I understood that congressmen and senators were exempt from laws
relating to insider trading.

Am I (as usual) wrong?

--
Sam Plusnet

Sam Plusnet

Jan 18, 2017, 1:18:44 PM1/18/17
No no no.
We have it on the highest authority that three million votes were
fraudulent. (all for the Democratic candidate, apparently).

--
Sam Plusnet

Horace LaBadie

Jan 18, 2017, 1:40:59 PM1/18/17
In article <r6idnRDNj-10LeLF...@brightview.co.uk>,
You are. The STOCK Act still stands, although the public records are now
harder to access.

Tony Cooper

Jan 18, 2017, 2:09:31 PM1/18/17
The term "insider trading" describes an illegal act. They are not
exempt from committing illegal acts.

Rep. Tom Price has been accused of insider trading, but the
accusations are not by authorities that prosecute such illegalities.
A better version of "accused of", in this case, would be "alleged to
have".

Peter T. Daniels

Jan 18, 2017, 2:59:39 PM1/18/17
That was remedied a few years ago. But even if it wasn't yet illegal at the time,
clearly it was unethical and directly relevant to the position he would occupy.

Tony Cooper

Jan 18, 2017, 3:19:50 PM1/18/17
I should have added that I feel that Price is guilty as hell of
insider trading, but that he will never be prosecuted.

As far as I know, the SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) is
responsible for bringing insider trading charges. The chair of the
SEC is appointed by the President, and Trump has nominated Jay Clayton
for that post. He has made a career out of defending Wall Streeters
and bankers and is not about to rock Trump's boat over a Cabinet
officer.

Peter T. Daniels

Jan 18, 2017, 4:49:38 PM1/18/17
It only takes 3 republicans to have qualms about the appointment to keep him
in the House.

Snidely

Jan 20, 2017, 2:21:38 AM1/20/17
Just this Wednesday, Sam Plusnet puzzled about:
Clever, those Russkis ... sneak into the system to cast obviously
fraudulent votes for the /other/ candidate.

/dps

--
Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered

occam

Jan 20, 2017, 10:58:39 AM1/20/17
The more disturbing (and funny) fact is that in a recent CNN survey
asking: 'which do you think is better: Obamacare or the Affordable Care
Act?" most people have said the latter. It shows a wide-spread ignorance
of facts and an objection to the name 'Obama' in the nickname of the Act.

occam

Jan 20, 2017, 11:02:48 AM1/20/17

Peter Moylan

Jan 20, 2017, 7:19:10 PM1/20/17
On 2017-Jan-21 02:58, occam wrote:

> The more disturbing (and funny) fact is that in a recent CNN survey
> asking: 'which do you think is better: Obamacare or the Affordable Care
> Act?" most people have said the latter. It shows a wide-spread ignorance
> of facts and an objection to the name 'Obama' in the nickname of the Act.

Wasn't the term "Obamacare" coined by the people who wanted the Act to fail?

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Mack A. Damia

Jan 20, 2017, 9:08:28 PM1/20/17
Maybe you missed this in another message; I was thrashing a troll.

It is funny. Watch the last guy; he has to be on serious drugs.

http://addictinginfo.org/2017/01/18/watch-people-interviewed-explain-why-affordable-care-act-is-better-than-obamacare/

Peter T. Daniels

Jan 20, 2017, 11:15:40 PM1/20/17
On Friday, January 20, 2017 at 7:19:10 PM UTC-5, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 2017-Jan-21 02:58, occam wrote:

> > The more disturbing (and funny) fact is that in a recent CNN survey
> > asking: 'which do you think is better: Obamacare or the Affordable Care
> > Act?" most people have said the latter. It shows a wide-spread ignorance
> > of facts and an objection to the name 'Obama' in the nickname of the Act.
>
> Wasn't the term "Obamacare" coined by the people who wanted the Act to fail?

And when it proved to be a success, Obama embraced the nickname.

pensive hamster

Jan 29, 2017, 5:48:28 PM1/29/17
On Wednesday, 18 January 2017 08:06:02 UTC, occam wrote:
> On 17/01/2017 20:58, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Jan 2017, pensive hamster wrote:
[...]
> >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-38635518
> >> The Sunday Herald TV Section
> >
> > A brief quotation from the "TMS" diary column in The Times of London:
> >
> > Storylines repeat themselves: first as a throwaway thriller, then as
> > real life. John Harthman, a reader, has directed me to a 1980 novel
> > by Ted Allbeury called The Twentieth Day of January, which is about
> > a Republican populist getting elected president of the United
> > States. It turns out that his chief adviser is under the influence
> > of the Kremlin, a connection that is unearthed by a British
> > intelligence officer.
> >
> > When confronted with evidence that the Russians have sexually
> > compromising pictures of him, the president-elect takes an overdose,
> > which the CIA passes off as a heart attack. Surely that’s too
> > implausible . . .
> >

> OK, now someone needs to serialize the Allbeury novel, and keep track of
> the development of the plot. Better still, turn to the last page and
> broadcast the ending. :-)

The plot is developing slowly. This could out-noir Scandi-noir:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/27/mystery-death-ex-kgb-chief-linked-mi6-spys-dossier-donald-trump/

Mystery death of ex-KGB chief linked to MI6 spy's dossier on
Donald Trump

An ex-KGB chief suspected of helping the former MI6 spy
Christopher Steele to compile his dossier on Donald Trump
may have been murdered by the Kremlin and his death covered
up, it has been claimed.

Oleg Erovinkin, a former general in the KGB and its successor
the FSB, was found dead in the back of his car in Moscow on
Boxing Day in mysterious circumstances.

Erovinkin was a key aide to Igor Sechin, a former deputy prime
minister and now head of Rosneft, the state-owned oil company,
who is repeatedly named in the dossier.

Erovinkin has been described as a key liaison between Sechin
and Russian president Vladimir Putin. Mr Steele writes in an
intelligence report dated July 19, 2016, he has a source close to
Sechin, who had disclosed alleged links between Mr Trump’s
supporters and Moscow. ...