=SDC= Q06: Who Knows?

Jerry Friedman

Aug 17, 2011, 6:48:04 PM8/17/11
What are now two separate countries once constituted a unit (A) under
single ruler. Working for that ruler was an observer of the
aristocracy
(with a distinctive nose), until he was invited by another ruler to
work
in a city that later became the capital of a unit (B) that is now two
separate countries. If you work out the name of former unit B you
should
easily find the name of the capital city that is centrally located in
it. (You
are now back in former unit A.) That city is dominated by something
that
should hopefully remind you of a comedy actor's distinctive nose.

Moving south from that city -- at the same longitude (never mind the
minutes) and along the same lines -- you will find a place in the
middle
of the Bodensee. A distinctive-nosed man was born in that place. In
'68
he published an account of a visit to his friends the O'Neills. Think
of
the name of a staple food in the country to which this visit brought
him. An august traveller applied that food-related name to a region he
explored, but now the application of the name has shrunk, referring
only
to a tiny island. Across the narrow strait is a place with a legendary
food-related name which is almost certainly a product of an
Indo-European root. An English product of that root was given the
number
one and existed in only one copy, made as a special gift for the
spouse of
a person with a distinctive nose.

Name the slope.
Name the author.
Name the tickle.
Name the singer.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Panelist

Mark Brader

Aug 18, 2011, 1:18:25 AM8/18/11
Jerry Friedman malformats:

> What are now two separate countries

Denmark and Norway.

> once constituted a unit (A) under a single ruler. Working for that
> ruler was an observer of the aristocracy (with a distinctive nose),

Tycho Brahe.

> until he was invited by another ruler to work
> in a city

Prague.

> that later became the capital of a unit (B) that is now two
> separate countries.

Slovakia and the Czech Republic.

> If you work out the name of former unit B you should
> easily find the name of the capital city that is centrally located
> in it. (You are now back in former unit A.)

Czech-Oslo-Vakia.

> That city is dominated

Loosely speaking; it's a long way from the city center.

> by something

The Holmenkollen ski jump.

> that should hopefully remind you of a comedy actor's

Bob Hope. By the way, this was the bit I started with.

> distinctive nose.

> Moving south from that city -- at the same longitude (never mind the
> minutes) and along the same lines -- you will find a place in the middle
> of the Bodensee.

In the middle! That's rather a stretch -- the east end of the Bodensee
(a.k.a. Lake Constance) is about a degree farther west than the western
part of Oslo. There don't seem to be any islands in the lake with much
population, but there are some towns on peninsulas that might count, such
as Allmansdorf and Reichenau...

*Oh!* "Same lines" as in Czech-Oslo-Vakia, so it's B-Odense-E! And
Odense is indeed south of Oslo. That was *nasty*!

> A distinctive-nosed man was born in that place.

Oh, dear. *Another* one? Okay, now that I've figured out Odense, who
was born there? Must be Hans Christian Andersen -- and yes, I now see
that he did have a distinctive nose.

> In '68 he

1868, of course. I suspected it wasn't going to be 1986!

> published an account of a visit to his friends the O'Neills.

"A Visit to Portugal in 1866".

> Think of the name of a staple food in the country to which this
> visit brought him.

Oh, dear. Different web sites mention a bunch of foods. Hmm.
But the specific one mentioned most often is a cod dish called
> bacalhau.

> An august traveller applied that food-related name to a region he
> explored, but now the application of the name has shrunk, referring
> only to a tiny island.

Ah! And there is an island, now spelled Baccalieu Island, separated
from the Island of Newfoundland by a strait called Baccalieu Tickle.

> Across the narrow strait is a place with a legendary food-related
> name which is almost certainly a product of an Indo-European root.

Well, in Google Maps the only places across the strait seem to be
Grates Cove, Red Head Cove, and Bay de Verde, none of which seems to
be a "legendary food-related name". There's Old Perlican over on the
other side of the peninsula, but I see no relation to food. And my
road atlases don't do any better.

So after getting all this way, I have to stop.

> An English product of that root was given the number one and existed in
> only one copy, made as a special gift for the spouse of a person with
> a distinctive nose.

> Name the slope.
> Name the author.
> Name the tickle.
> Name the singer.

Holmenkollen ski jump, Andersen, Baccalieu, and I have no idea.
--
Mark Brader | "Of course, if you only see one movie this year,
m...@vex.net | you're in the wrong newsgroup."

John Holmes

Aug 18, 2011, 5:00:13 AM8/18/11
Mark Brader wrote:
> Jerry Friedman malformats:

>> Across the narrow strait is a place with a legendary food-related
>> name which is almost certainly a product of an Indo-European root.
>
> Well, in Google Maps the only places across the strait seem to be
> Grates Cove, Red Head Cove, and Bay de Verde, none of which seems to
> be a "legendary food-related name". There's Old Perlican over on the
> other side of the peninsula, but I see no relation to food. And my
> road atlases don't do any better.
>
> So after getting all this way, I have to stop.
>
>> An English product of that root was given the number one and existed
>> in only one copy, made as a special gift for the spouse of a person
>> with
>> a distinctive nose.
>
>> Name the slope.
>> Name the author.
>> Name the tickle.
>> Name the singer.
>
> Holmenkollen ski jump, Andersen, Baccalieu, and I have no idea.

Wow, it would be a shame to give up after all that effort. Might you be
looking at the trees instead of the forest? Could the legendary food-related
name be Vinland?

--
Regards
John

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 18, 2011, 5:42:15 AM8/18/11

Ooooh! So close. A baa-vura display of detective skills!

(That's not a clue.)

--
VB,
who spent the best part of a day wandering around Lake Constance when he tried

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 18, 2011, 5:45:00 AM8/18/11
In alt.usage.english, John Holmes wrote:
>Mark Brader wrote:
>> Jerry Friedman malformats:
>>
>>> Across the narrow strait is a place with a legendary food-related
>>> name which is almost certainly a product of an Indo-European root.
>>
>> Well, in Google Maps the only places across the strait seem to be
>> Grates Cove, Red Head Cove, and Bay de Verde, none of which seems to
>> be a "legendary food-related name". There's Old Perlican over on the
>> other side of the peninsula, but I see no relation to food. And my
>> road atlases don't do any better.
>>
>> So after getting all this way, I have to stop.
>>
>>> An English product of that root was given the number one and existed
>>> in only one copy, made as a special gift for the spouse of a person
>>> with
>>> a distinctive nose.
>>
>>> Name the slope.
>>> Name the author.
>>> Name the tickle.
>>> Name the singer.
>>
>> Holmenkollen ski jump, Andersen, Baccalieu, and I have no idea.
>
>Wow, it would be a shame to give up after all that effort. Might you be
>looking at the trees instead of the forest?

He might. Indeed he is.

>Could the legendary food-related name be Vinland?

--
VB

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 18, 2011, 6:54:06 AM8/18/11
Reflowed question:

===

===

--
VB

Mark Brader

Aug 18, 2011, 2:39:00 PM8/18/11

Jerry Friedman:

Mark Brader:

>>> So after getting all this way, I have to stop.

John Holmes:

>> Wow, it would be a shame to give up after all that effort. Might you be
>> looking at the trees instead of the forest?

"Vinny Burgoo":

> He might. Indeed he is.

Oh gawd. You're talking about the Avalon Peninsula, which the island is
just off a sub-peninsula of. WP says "probably from the Welsh root 'afal',
meaning apple."

But I still don't know what this is about, and I will stop here.

Unless of course you just want Frankie Avalon and the previous sentence
quoted above is irrelevant.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Please correct error between chair and monitor."
m...@vex.net | -- James Baughn

Mike Lyle

Aug 18, 2011, 4:08:19 PM8/18/11
On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 11:54:06 +0100, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>Reflowed question:

Never mind the question: if reflux is on your mind, read on. If it
isn't, don't bother.

Lansoprazole on prescription. The stuff's miraculous. Stuff Gaviscon.

--
Mike.
[...]

franzi

Aug 19, 2011, 4:42:21 AM8/19/11
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote

>Jerry Friedman:

>Oh gawd. You're talking about the Avalon Peninsula, which the island is
>just off a sub-peninsula of. WP says "probably from the Welsh root 'afal',
>meaning apple."

>But I still don't know what this is about, and I will stop here.

>Unless of course you just want Frankie Avalon and the previous sentence
>quoted above is irrelevant.

Cilla Black seems a promising candidate.
--
franzi

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 19, 2011, 12:37:25 PM8/19/11

Isn't that where they whistle to each other from the clifftops?

--
VB

Mike Lyle

Aug 19, 2011, 5:03:27 PM8/19/11
On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:37:25 +0100, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>In alt.usage.english, Mike Lyle wrote:
>>On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 11:54:06 +0100, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Reflowed question:
>>>
>>Never mind the question: if reflux is on your mind, read on. If it
>>isn't, don't bother.
>>
>>Lansoprazole on prescription. The stuff's miraculous. Stuff Gaviscon.
>
>Isn't that where they whistle to each other from the clifftops?

Yes, just as the latter is the rugby-playing nephew of the chap who
invented Muppets.

--
Mike.

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 19, 2011, 5:15:01 PM8/19/11
In alt.usage.english, Mike Lyle wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:37:25 +0100, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk>
>>In alt.usage.english, Mike Lyle wrote:

>>>Never mind the question: if reflux is on your mind, read on. If it
>>>isn't, don't bother.
>>>
>>>Lansoprazole on prescription. The stuff's miraculous. Stuff Gaviscon.
>>
>>Isn't that where they whistle to each other from the clifftops?
>
>Yes, just as the latter is the rugby-playing nephew of the chap who
>invented Muppets.

D'Artagnan is Charlotte Church's nephew?

I must get some of that stuff. Is it available illegally? I don't do
doctors.

--
VB

Mike Lyle

Aug 19, 2011, 6:37:37 PM8/19/11
On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 22:15:01 +0100, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>In alt.usage.english, Mike Lyle wrote:

>>>Isn't that where they whistle to each other from the clifftops?
>>
>>Yes, just as the latter is the rugby-playing nephew of the chap who
>>invented Muppets.
>
>D'Artagnan is Charlotte Church's nephew?

Isn't he rather the bloke who has fait pipi in l'avion qui nous mčne
en haut? You can't surely, be mixing him up with Gazza (who once
filled some mince pies with cat shit, and got some drunken friends to
eat them).

>I must get some of that stuff. Is it available illegally? I don't do
>doctors.

Well, an illegal way would be to get somebody else to go to the doctor
and pretend to be a martyr to gastric reflux so that they could give
you the prescribed dope. For a more diabolical method, you could
choose somebody entitled to free prescriptions, say an unemployee or a
pensioner, to do it for you: that would be two kinds of fraud at once.

--
Mike.

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 20, 2011, 6:54:24 AM8/20/11

'Promising' is the wrong label.

--
VB
T. O. Panellist

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 22, 2011, 7:13:56 AM8/22/11

Cilla Black was with a different label.

musika

Aug 22, 2011, 9:32:33 AM8/22/11
Mark Brader wrote:

>> Name the slope.
>> Name the author.
>> Name the tickle.
>> Name the singer.
>
> Holmenkollen ski jump, Andersen, Baccalieu, and I have no idea.

Jumping in on Mark's excellent research, I will add Frank Sinatra.

--
Ray
UK

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 22, 2011, 10:00:36 AM8/22/11

Thank you!

An explanation will follow.

msh210

Aug 22, 2011, 10:12:21 AM8/22/11
On Aug 19, Mike Lyle abed:

> > I must get some of that stuff. Is it available illegally? I don't do
> > doctors.
>
> Well, an illegal way would be to get somebody else to go to the doctor
> and pretend to be a martyr to gastric reflux so that they could give
> you the prescribed dope. For a more diabolical method, you could
> choose somebody entitled to free prescriptions, say an unemployee or a
> pensioner, to do it for you: that would be two kinds of fraud at once.

And then pick it up yourself from the pharmacy, pretending to be the
pensioner (and saving him a trip). Three kinds.

Michael Hamm

Vinny Burgoo

Aug 22, 2011, 10:55:46 AM8/22/11
In alt.usage.english, Vinny Burgoo wrote:

The question again:

===
What are now two separate countries once constituted a unit (A) under a

[...]

A: Holmenkollen, Hans Christian Andersen, Baccalieu Tickle, Frank
Sinatra.

Clues along the way:

The owners of the noses are: Tycho Brahe, Bob Hope, HC Andersen, Ringo
Starr.

Unit A is Denmark-Norway. Unit B is Czechoslovakia.

The capital city that is centrally located in Czechoslovakia is Oslo.

Thinking along the same lines, the place in the middle of the Bodensee
is Odense.

Hans Christian Andersen visited George O'Neill in Portugal in 1866.

Bacalhau is the Portuguese staple.

Avalon leads to Apple 1, a record specially made for Ringo's wife by
Frank Sinatra.

Jerry Friedman

Aug 23, 2011, 12:41:15 AM8/23/11
On Aug 22, 8:00 am, Vinny Burgoo <hlu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> >>  Holmenkollen ski jump, Andersen, Baccalieu, and I have no idea.
>
> >Jumping in on Mark's excellent research, I will add Frank Sinatra.
>
> Thank you!

I'm seeing this as a Cormo for Mark's excellent research and one for
Ray's complete answer.

--
Jerry Friedman, T. O. Sheepsolomon

Mark Brader

Aug 23, 2011, 12:26:58 PM8/23/11
Jerry Friedman:
> I'm seeing this as a Cormo for Mark's excellent research...

Oh? All right, if you insist.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I don't know about your brain,
m...@vex.net | but mine is really bossy." -- Laurie Anderson