Locked Up and Tied Down (spoilers)

julie e

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
Some random thoughts/comments on LUATD:

,

!

Generally, I thought the ep was great. Not brilliant, not without
fault, but lots of fun and plenty of "Ewwww..."
(See, Lord Nelson? That's how you do that. <g>)

I couldn't help but think that it's too bad that Wendy O. Williams isn't
with us anymore...she'd have made a terrific cameo. :o) (It just ain't
a "chicks in prison" flick without Wendy O! <bg>)

LOVED the rats! Just when I thought they couldn't top the screaming
headlice... :o) (nice combo of comedy and "Ewww...")

I had all the expected problems with the "prison warden with a heart of
gold" <g> character. Not only did she kinda bug me, but we had to
suspend our disbelief perhaps a tad more than usual to swallow her
story. Not a major problem, but it was there.

(And, speaking as a Cancer, I would like to express my disgust at the
negative portrayal of my peaceful crab brothers and sisters! Crabs Are
People Too! <g>)

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet (and, frankly, I'm shocked! <g>)
was the sexual tension between Gabby and the Warden. Boy oh boy, did
Gabby get the hairy eyeball from that woman! "I thought you liked
me....." Jeez Louise! And she really liked the way Gabby handled
her...uh...stump. :o)

(comments from the peanut gallery at my house Saturday night..no ATXers
besides myself, BTW..."Is that K-Y she's putting on there?" "Kinda gives
a whole new dimension to 'fisting'...")

...And how come most of the prisoners showed up on Shark Island wearing
standard Xena-extra, shabby-but-scanty clothing, and our Xena spends yet
another episode in a potato sack? :o)

...And how can Xena possibly remember the names of every person she's
killed over the years? It struck me funny when Gabby was looking at the
scroll, and we find out that Xena's being put on trial for
murder..."Gee, I don't remember killing anybody..." :o)

LOVED Gabby's outfit! (comment from the peanut gallery..."She looks
like she's from Santa Cruz!") I realize TPTB like to keep the
characters in the same clothes for some sort of recognition value, but
this was a good argument for a wardrobe update. Our girls certainly
don't need their cleavage hanging out to look really hot!

Anyone else think of The Shawshank Redemption when Xena was out in the
rain? :o)

...And have ya noticed how Gabby is always lit differently than everyone
else in the room? It's most obvious when the topic of conversation is
"goodness"...she seems to have a halo, the way they put such a bright
light on her hair. The light is always a little warmer on her face than
Xena's...think Rembrandt. I suppose it's that "glow of goodness". :o)
(Or is it the Hi-Pro Glow? <g>)

Somebody help me with this...
Am I crazy (don't answer that! <g>), or has she been brought up before
that same judge before? If so, why didn't someone just take her into
custody at the time?

(I was driving the peanut gallery nuts with this...if this happened,
say, six or seven years ago, why has it taken so long for them to track
her down? People don't seem to have a problem finding her...if some
meanie is bugging your village, you send out a scout and within a few
weeks, you've got Xena showing up to fix things. Everywhere she goes,
she meets people who know all about her...so why did it take the cops so
long to nab her?)

If it's not the same judge, it's at least the same actor, right? Tell
me I'm not imagining this! :o)
--

julie e
ATX Central SysOp - Mission Control

Lou Mougin

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
One of these days, Xena's going to have to go before an ancient Greek
version of Judge Judy. ("I can tell baloney from ambrosia any day of the
week, ma'am, and your stuff is the kind that comes from a pig, not the kind
that makes you a god!")

Aethelrede

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
> LOVED the rats! Just when I thought they couldn't top the screaming
> headlice... :o) (nice combo of comedy and "Ewww...")

The rats were fine, but LL said on R&KL barely 12 hours before I saw
this that she loathes rats and hates scenes where they crawl over her.
And her husband helped write the script.

> (And, speaking as a Cancer, I would like to express my disgust at the
> negative portrayal of my peaceful crab brothers and sisters! Crabs Are
> People Too!

People can be crabs too?

> One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet (and, frankly, I'm shocked! <g>)
> was the sexual tension between Gabby and the Warden. Boy oh boy, did
> Gabby get the hairy eyeball from that woman! "I thought you liked
> me....." Jeez Louise! And she really liked the way Gabby handled
> her...uh...stump. :o)

I'll be Ren and you can be... But where's the problem? The Commandant
had difficulties, and Gabrielle shows up with bells on! A womans prison
commandant's dream.

> (comments from the peanut gallery at my house Saturday night..no ATXers
> besides myself, BTW..."Is that K-Y she's putting on there?" "Kinda gives
> a whole new dimension to 'fisting'...")

Elbowing?

> ...And how come most of the prisoners showed up on Shark Island wearing
> standard Xena-extra, shabby-but-scanty clothing, and our Xena spends yet
> another episode in a potato sack?

Penitence! Didn't you notice the ashes in her hair?

> ...And how can Xena possibly remember the names of every person she's
> killed over the years? It struck me funny when Gabby was looking at the
> scroll, and we find out that Xena's being put on trial for
> murder..."Gee, I don't remember killing anybody..."

I cannot recall that at this point in time... But you'd think one or
the other would come up with something.
This is the lamest part of the whole ep, she's so docile but moody:
Xena watches a stranger get hanged right in front of her, and offers to
bury the body after it started to stink the place up, but when her
little red headed friend was going to get 3 lashes(1) she tries to kill
the whole prison administration. What's with her these days?

> If it's not the same judge, it's at least the same actor, right? Tell
> me I'm not imagining this!

The fabulous Whoosh search engine produced no result for a search on
either the judge or the top guard, and they don't seem to keep cross
references on the hoi poloi: you have to look them up ep by ep.

(1) Thats 7 less than Tara was going to get for dancing. And Xena
didn't object to that until she recognised who was going to get whacked.

Katilist

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
Some random thoughts/comments on LUATD:

,

!
Julie e wrote:
<snip>

>One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet (and, frankly, >I'm shocked! <g>)
>was the sexual tension between Gabby and the >Warden. Boy oh boy, did
>Gabby get the hairy eyeball from that woman! "I >thought you liked
>me....." Jeez Louise! And she really liked the way >Gabby handled
>her...uh...stump. :o)

Don't forget the way she dismissed Gabrielle when she thought she had been
used -- "It's over!"

>...And how can Xena possibly remember the names of >every person she's
>killed over the years? It struck me funny when Gabby >was looking at the
>scroll, and we find out that Xena's being put on trial for

>murder..."Gee, I don't remember killing anybody..." :o)

Did you make this up? Or was it from another episode?

>Anyone else think of The Shawshank Redemption >when Xena was out in the rain?
:o)

Yup! And I think it was on purpose.

Kat >^^<
"If your God is not in your heart, then you haven't found God."

Erin

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
On Sun, 15 Nov 1998 21:25:37 -0600, julie e <jf...@NOSPAMflash.net>
wrote:

>Some random thoughts/comments on LUATD:

>,

>!
>

>I couldn't help but think that it's too bad that Wendy O. Williams isn't
>with us anymore...she'd have made a terrific cameo. :o) (It just ain't
>a "chicks in prison" flick without Wendy O! <bg>)

I forgot about that... Now that was a woman who was truly before her
time. <sniff> <Erin reminisces about Wendy O's shaving cream bikinis>

>(And, speaking as a Cancer, I would like to express my disgust at the
>negative portrayal of my peaceful crab brothers and sisters! Crabs Are

>People Too! <g>)

Speaking of flesh eating crabs, does anyone know if Jeffrey Dahmer was
a Cancer? :)

>One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet (and, frankly, I'm shocked! <g>)
>was the sexual tension between Gabby and the Warden. Boy oh boy, did
>Gabby get the hairy eyeball from that woman! "I thought you liked
>me....." Jeez Louise! And she really liked the way Gabby handled
>her...uh...stump. :o)

You know, I was looking for that in the ep, and I really didn't see
it; then again, the fact that Gabs was touching her...uh...stump
really threw cold water on the whole thing for me.

>(comments from the peanut gallery at my house Saturday night..no ATXers
>besides myself, BTW..."Is that K-Y she's putting on there?" "Kinda gives
>a whole new dimension to 'fisting'...")

<horrified screams>

>...And how come most of the prisoners showed up on Shark Island wearing
>standard Xena-extra, shabby-but-scanty clothing, and our Xena spends yet

>another episode in a potato sack? :o)

All things considered, I'm surprised they didn't use a hairshirt.

>LOVED Gabby's outfit! (comment from the peanut gallery..."She looks
>like she's from Santa Cruz!")

Did anyone see if she was wearing Birkenstocks?

>If it's not the same judge, it's at least the same actor, right? Tell

>me I'm not imagining this! :o)

You're imagining it. Heh heh... Anyway, that actor has been seen a
few times on both Herc and Xena, IIRC.

Erin
--
"Your conscience may make you vote Democratic,
but deep down you want a Republican to lower

Ray Radlein

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
Aethelrede wrote:

> > ,

> > !
> >
> This is the lamest part of the whole ep, she's so docile but
> moody: Xena watches a stranger get hanged right in front of her, and
> offers to bury the body after it started to stink the place up, but
> when her little red headed friend was going to get 3 lashes(1) she
> tries to kill the whole prison administration. What's with her these
> days?

[snip]

> (1) Thats 7 less than Tara was going to get for dancing. And Xena
> didn't object to that until she recognised who was going to get
> whacked.

Actually, Xena had already put the entire town constabulary in hospital
*before* she and Gabrielle discovered, to their surprise, just who it
was that they were rescuing. That was, after all, one of the many things
about that episode which seemed off-key to many people.

- Ray R.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Strom Thurmond Congress wagh'nagl fhtagn.

Ray Radlein - r...@learnlink.emory.edu
homepage coming soon! wooo, wooo.

Ray Radlein

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
julie e wrote:

> Some random thoughts/comments on LUATD:

> ,

> !

[snip]

> I had all the expected problems with the "prison warden with a heart
> of gold" <g> character. Not only did she kinda bug me, but we had to
> suspend our disbelief perhaps a tad more than usual to swallow her
> story. Not a major problem, but it was there.

My thing was, as soon as they mentioned, during the trial, that no body
was ever recovered, I *knew* that she was still alive, and that that's
how Xena would ultimately get out of prison by the end of the episode. I
must admit I wasn't expecting her to be the warden (although I was
almost expecting her to turn up amongst the prisoners).

Xorys

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
On Sun, 15 Nov 1998 21:25:37 -0600, julie e <jf...@NOSPAMflash.net>
wrote:

Added SPOILER for <<AFOD>>

>Some random thoughts/comments on LUATD:

>,

>!
>

>If it's not the same judge, it's at least the same actor, right? Tell
>me I'm not imagining this! :o)

Sorry to keep repeating this stuff in different threads, but people
keep asking - the Judge was played by Huntly Eliott, who played the
First Citizen of Amphipolis in SOTP and Calicus, the Priest of
Demeter, in AFOD (he was going to have Gab and Thersites tortured to
death for trying to rob the temple, but Xena rescued them). I believe
he *may* have played a Judge on HTLJ, but I don't keep track of HTLJ
credits...

Xorys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://webhome.idirect.com/~toot/
Xena Wallpapers, Win95 Startup Screens etc.

julie e

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
Aethelrede wrote:

> julie e wrote:
> >
> > Some random thoughts/comments on LUATD:

> > ,

> > !
> >

> This is the lamest part of the whole ep, she's so docile but moody:

> Xena watches a stranger get hanged right in front of her, and offers to
> bury the body after it started to stink the place up, but when her
> little red headed friend was going to get 3 lashes(1) she tries to kill
> the whole prison administration. What's with her these days?

That reminded me of another thing that bugged me... just when she jumps
in to "save" the redheaded chick, a discussion started here (at my
house) about how she was being such a good little prisoner because she
feels all this remorse for what she did and accepts the punishment, but
doesn't seem to want anyone else to be punished for anything. She
"stuck up" for Red, but totally accepted the same guard kicking her in
the stomach for saying the word "No." Where's the logic there?

Bob & Gail Futoran

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
julie e wrote in message <364F9B...@NOSPAMflash.net>...

>Some random thoughts/comments on LUATD:

>,

>!
>[snips]

>LOVED the rats! Just when I thought they couldn't top the screaming
>headlice... :o) (nice combo of comedy and "Ewww...")

Your kind of supporting character, huh, Julie? <veg> I know, next time I
visit I can sleep outside on the fire ant mounds...

>I had all the expected problems with the "prison warden with a heart of
>gold" <g> character. Not only did she kinda bug me, but we had to
>suspend our disbelief perhaps a tad more than usual to swallow her
>story. Not a major problem, but it was there.

Hmm, probably why I can't bring myself to give the ep more than about a 9,
despite what Kat said about the passage of time during Xena's incarceration.

>(And, speaking as a Cancer, I would like to express my disgust at the
>negative portrayal of my peaceful crab brothers and sisters! Crabs Are
>People Too! <g>)

You need to get a life...

>One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet (and, frankly, I'm shocked! <g>)
>was the sexual tension between Gabby and the Warden. Boy oh boy, did
>Gabby get the hairy eyeball from that woman! "I thought you liked
>me....." Jeez Louise! And she really liked the way Gabby handled
>her...uh...stump. :o)

You read the wrong newsgroups. I assure you this was noticed on *other* atx
newsgroups. I won't tell you which one(s).

[snip]>...And how come most of the prisoners showed up on Shark Island

wearing
>standard Xena-extra, shabby-but-scanty clothing, and our Xena spends yet
>another episode in a potato sack? :o)

That was their usual clothing; the criminal class is not normally
well-dressed. (Auto is an exception but then he's KOT.) Dressing Xena down
was a way of heaping additional humiliation on her. (Heck, I'm serious
here, hate when that happens.) What it did for me was suggest "The Debt"
(which LUATD reminded me of a bit; I kept waiting to hear that music when
Xena was about to be executed and she found her "purity of essence" - well,
Gabby was only a meter or two away <g>) and showed that she's a great
fighter even when not in her standard outfit.

>...And how can Xena possibly remember the names of every person she's
>killed over the years? It struck me funny when Gabby was looking at the
>scroll, and we find out that Xena's being put on trial for
>murder..."Gee, I don't remember killing anybody..." :o)

Xena's expression when her troop hit Thelassa and created that ugly scar
looked like regret to me. And because Thelassa _was_ an innocent victim and
a special person to all who knew her, she was more memorable.

>LOVED Gabby's outfit! (comment from the peanut gallery..."She looks

>like she's from Santa Cruz!") I realize TPTB like to keep the
>characters in the same clothes for some sort of recognition value, but
>this was a good argument for a wardrobe update. Our girls certainly
>don't need their cleavage hanging out to look really hot!

Oh yeah you can say all that again. Gabby looked great throughout this ep.
I mean, greater than usual. :)

[snip]

>...And have ya noticed how Gabby is always lit differently than everyone
>else in the room? It's most obvious when the topic of conversation is
>"goodness"...she seems to have a halo, the way they put such a bright
>light on her hair. The light is always a little warmer on her face than
>Xena's...think Rembrandt. I suppose it's that "glow of goodness". :o)
>(Or is it the Hi-Pro Glow? <g>)

Uh, you haven't been paying attention, luv. Gabby has that inner light
which she gave to Xena and now Xena has her own light etc. etc. see
AITST[1]. But Xena was covered in dirt during the time Gabby was on the
island, so X could hardly "shine". Loved the fight scenes, tho. How about
you?

>Somebody help me with this...
>Am I crazy (don't answer that! <g>), or has she been brought up before
>that same judge before? If so, why didn't someone just take her into
>custody at the time?

Huntly Eliott played the First Citizen in SOTP & Calicus in AFOD. I
couldn't find him in the season 3 cast lists but that doesn't mean he didn't
appear. I didn't see him as a judge in X:WP; maybe H:TLJ? I haven't
checked X:WP season 4 for his name.

>(I was driving the peanut gallery nuts with this...if this happened,
>say, six or seven years ago, why has it taken so long for them to track
>her down? People don't seem to have a problem finding her...if some
>meanie is bugging your village, you send out a scout and within a few
>weeks, you've got Xena showing up to fix things. Everywhere she goes,
>she meets people who know all about her...so why did it take the cops so
>long to nab her?)

Her reputation precedes her. If you wait long enuf, Xena will show up at
_your_ village! <g> Why waste the man[sic]power to go hunt her down?
Besides, who wants to drag her any farther than necessary? They didn't know
she'd come peacefully.

>If it's not the same judge, it's at least the same actor, right? Tell
>me I'm not imagining this! :o)

See above. <g>

>julie e
>ATX Central SysOp - Mission Control
>Check it out at http://www.lavhouse.com/atxcentral_ontheweb/

Nice chatting with ya. We should try this in person sometime.
<G>a:)
[1] don't hit me I'm feeling obnoxious and I figure I can get away with that
with you else I won't show you the pictures you know which ones...

dctr...@webtv.net

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
In article <364F9B...@NOSPAMflash.net>, julie says...

>Some random thoughts/comments on LUATD:

>,

>!
>

>LOVED Gabby's outfit! (comment from the peanut gallery..."She looks

>like she's from Santa Cruz!") I realize TPTB like to keep the
>characters in the same clothes for some sort of recognition value, but
>this was a good argument for a wardrobe update. Our girls certainly
>don't need their cleavage hanging out to look really hot!

Well they did finally update Herc's clothes. Gabby's top seems to be
shrinking with each season. She either needs to change outfits permanently
or change her methods of washing it.

Although i loved her healer outfit i do wish she could keep that as her
new regular outfit.

Also isn't it about time Xena changed into a new outfit. Keep the warrior
look but i am getting kind of tired of seeing that same outfit week after
week.

>Anyone else think of The Shawshank Redemption when Xena was out in the
>rain? :o)
>

>...And have ya noticed how Gabby is always lit differently than everyone
>else in the room? It's most obvious when the topic of conversation is
>"goodness"...she seems to have a halo, the way they put such a bright
>light on her hair. The light is always a little warmer on her face than
>Xena's...think Rembrandt. I suppose it's that "glow of goodness". :o)
>(Or is it the Hi-Pro Glow? <g>)

In the last Ceaser episode when Gabby was taking charge of the situation
and telling the troops to attack it was almost like she was filmed with not only
a different camera but also not working in the same scene.

>Somebody help me with this...
>Am I crazy (don't answer that! <g>), or has she been brought up before
>that same judge before? If so, why didn't someone just take her into
>custody at the time?

I thought i saw the actor playing a different role.

>(I was driving the peanut gallery nuts with this...if this happened,
>say, six or seven years ago, why has it taken so long for them to track
>her down? People don't seem to have a problem finding her...if some
>meanie is bugging your village, you send out a scout and within a few
>weeks, you've got Xena showing up to fix things. Everywhere she goes,
>she meets people who know all about her...so why did it take the cops so
>long to nab her?)
>

>If it's not the same judge, it's at least the same actor, right? Tell
>me I'm not imagining this! :o)

Lori Schwartzberg

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98

>> This is the lamest part of the whole ep, she's so docile but
moody:
>> Xena watches a stranger get hanged right in front of her, and offers to
>> bury the body after it started to stink the place up, but when her
>> little red headed friend was going to get 3 lashes(1) she tries to kill
>> the whole prison administration. What's with her these days?
>
>That reminded me of another thing that bugged me... just when she jumps
>in to "save" the redheaded chick, a discussion started here (at my
>house) about how she was being such a good little prisoner because she
>feels all this remorse for what she did and accepts the punishment, but
>doesn't seem to want anyone else to be punished for anything. She
>"stuck up" for Red, but totally accepted the same guard kicking her in
>the stomach for saying the word "No." Where's the logic there?

I got the impression this was just the point where she realized enough was
enough. She was being punished for trying to help the woman who was too
tired to carry the barrels, and then they were going to whip someone for
trying to help her. Even if she was trying to take her punishment, xena
knew at this point the prison brutality wasn't fair punishment.

K Giles

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
"Bob & Gail Futoran" <fut...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

Teeny spoiler for "The Debt". . .

!
!
!

>I kept waiting to hear that music when
>Xena was about to be executed and she found her "purity of essence"

Xena has refused to drink anything but rainwater ever since. And she
calls Gabrielle "Mandrake" instead of "Mavis".

-Lamia Ledbetter
*Who fan* *Amazon* *High-school Senior*
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/5570

julie e

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
Erin wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Nov 1998 21:25:37 -0600, julie e <jf...@NOSPAMflash.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Some random thoughts/comments on LUATD:

> >,

> >!
<snips here and there>

Ewww... :o)

> >One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet (and, frankly, I'm shocked! <g>)
> >was the sexual tension between Gabby and the Warden. Boy oh boy, did
> >Gabby get the hairy eyeball from that woman! "I thought you liked
> >me....." Jeez Louise! And she really liked the way Gabby handled
> >her...uh...stump. :o)
>

> You know, I was looking for that in the ep, and I really didn't see
> it; then again, the fact that Gabs was touching her...uh...stump
> really threw cold water on the whole thing for me.

Not that it did anything for me or anything...
(looks at floor) :o)

> >(comments from the peanut gallery at my house Saturday night..no ATXers
> >besides myself, BTW..."Is that K-Y she's putting on there?" "Kinda gives
> >a whole new dimension to 'fisting'...")
>
> <horrified screams>

(skipping aroung the room, singing in my best nanny-nanny-boo-boo voice)
I shocked Erin...I shocked Erin! :o)

> >LOVED Gabby's outfit! (comment from the peanut gallery..."She looks
> >like she's from Santa Cruz!")
>

> Did anyone see if she was wearing Birkenstocks?

And a jangly ankle bracelet?

> >If it's not the same judge, it's at least the same actor, right? Tell
> >me I'm not imagining this! :o)
>

> You're imagining it. Heh heh... Anyway, that actor has been seen a
> few times on both Herc and Xena, IIRC.

I knew I could count on ATXers to set me straight on that one! It was
really buggin' me... :o)

julie e

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98

If they have re-formed by then...this damn rain is certainly pissing off
the ants! :o)

> >One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet (and, frankly, I'm shocked! <g>)
> >was the sexual tension between Gabby and the Warden. Boy oh boy, did
> >Gabby get the hairy eyeball from that woman! "I thought you liked
> >me....." Jeez Louise! And she really liked the way Gabby handled
> >her...uh...stump. :o)
>
> You read the wrong newsgroups. I assure you this was noticed on *other* atx
> newsgroups. I won't tell you which one(s).

Hmmm...lemme think... :o)

> [snip]>...And how come most of the prisoners showed up on Shark Island
> wearing
> >standard Xena-extra, shabby-but-scanty clothing, and our Xena spends yet
> >another episode in a potato sack? :o)
>
> That was their usual clothing; the criminal class is not normally
> well-dressed. (Auto is an exception but then he's KOT.) Dressing Xena down
> was a way of heaping additional humiliation on her. (Heck, I'm serious
> here, hate when that happens.) What it did for me was suggest "The Debt"
> (which LUATD reminded me of a bit; I kept waiting to hear that music when
> Xena was about to be executed and she found her "purity of essence" - well,
> Gabby was only a meter or two away <g>) and showed that she's a great
> fighter even when not in her standard outfit.

I thought of the Debt, too. Somehow when Gabby was saying her goodbyes
to Xena on the boat dock, I expected her to say "Well, here we are
again..." :o)

> Nice chatting with ya. We should try this in person sometime.
> <G>a:)
> [1] don't hit me I'm feeling obnoxious and I figure I can get away with that
> with you else I won't show you the pictures you know which ones...

I promise there will be another Austin Xenite get-together
soon...whether it's at my house or not! Since you've been, um...away,
members of my old Xena-Night crowd was been merged with the Austin
ATXers to create a super-Xenite-group..and soon, we'll take over the
world!!! Well, probably not, but at least there's increased opportunity
and enthiusiasm for get-togethers...and we now have *two* places with
giant TVs and surround sound to choose from! (If we ever get to see
Spica's house... <g>. The other is a bud of mine with a projection
setup...way cool...)

Ray Radlein

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
julie e wrote:

> > > Some random thoughts/comments on LUATD:

> > > ,

> > > !
>
> That reminded me of another thing that bugged me... just when she
> jumps in to "save" the redheaded chick, a discussion started here (at
> my house) about how she was being such a good little prisoner because
> she feels all this remorse for what she did and accepts the
> punishment, but doesn't seem to want anyone else to be punished for
> anything. She "stuck up" for Red, but totally accepted the same
> guard kicking her in the stomach for saying the word "No." Where's
> the logic there?

Easy: There's a difference between being kicked in the stomach and being
whipped. Also, Xena *knew* that *she* could handle it; she also knew
that Red *couldn't*.

Da Chicken Lady

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98

julie e wrote in message <3650ED...@NOSPAMflash.net>...

>(skipping aroung the room, singing in my best nanny-nanny-boo-boo voice)
>I shocked Erin...I shocked Erin! :o)

cute! =)

Bob & Gail Futoran

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
K Giles wrote in message <72q7n8$2486$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>...

>"Bob & Gail Futoran" <fut...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>Teeny spoiler for "The Debt". . .

>!
>!
>!
>
>>I kept waiting to hear that music when
>>Xena was about to be executed and she found her "purity of essence"
>
>Xena has refused to drink anything but rainwater ever since. And she
>calls Gabrielle "Mandrake" instead of "Mavis".
>
>-Lamia Ledbetter
>*Who fan* *Amazon* *High-school Senior*
>http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/5570

Sometime you'll have to explain that to me :0). Altho I'm not quite as
60's/70's-impaired as your mom (it was _your_ mom, wasn't it, that I read
about recently??), a lot of pop culture allusions go right over my little
head.

Gail

K Giles

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
"Bob & Gail Futoran" <fut...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>K Giles wrote inmessage <72q7n8$2486$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>...

>>Xena has refused to drink anything but rainwater ever since. And she
>>calls Gabrielle "Mandrake" instead of "Mavis".

>Sometime you'll have to explain that to me :0). Altho I'm not quite as

>60's/70's-impaired as your mom (it was _your_ mom, wasn't it, that I
read
>about recently??), a lot of pop culture allusions go right over my
little
>head.

I won't have to explain it to you at all if you view a fine film by the
name of "Dr. Strangelove". :) To sate your curiosity until you can get
to your local video rental place, "Dr. Strangelove" featured a rainwater-
drinking character who was obsessed with "purity of essence". Another
character was named Mandrake.

And yes, it is Mummy Dearest who often has trouble with trivia of the
60's and 70's. The poor dear grew up on a rural dairy farm, and missed
out on much of the pop-culture of the era.

Erin

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
On 17 Nov 1998 00:35:50 GMT, THR...@prodigy.com (K Giles) wrote:

>And yes, it is Mummy Dearest who often has trouble with trivia of the
>60's and 70's. The poor dear grew up on a rural dairy farm, and missed
>out on much of the pop-culture of the era.

Reminds me of the latest episode of The Simpsons, where Homer tries to

Bart: You make a great hippy, dad! You're lazy and self-righteous...
Lisa: And the bottoms of your feet are jet-black!
Homer: Heh heh, well, I will walk through *anything*...

Bandit

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
julie e wrote in message <364F9B...@NOSPAMflash.net>...

>Some random thoughts/comments on LUATD:

>,

>!

<snipped some delightful comments>

>One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet (and, frankly, I'm shocked! <g>)
>was the sexual tension between Gabby and the Warden. Boy oh boy, did
>Gabby get the hairy eyeball from that woman! "I thought you liked
>me....." Jeez Louise! And she really liked the way Gabby handled
>her...uh...stump. :o)

Well the head guard noticed! When Gabrielle ask if he was planning on
following her around he told her it was at the commandant's request.
"Wouldn't want anything to happen to her *PET* healer ... "

I thought that was an interesting coment for him to make, since it didn't
seem whe she was on the island all that long.

~Bandit

Bob & Gail Futoran

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
K Giles wrote in message <72qgd6$2keg$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>...
>[snip]

>I won't have to explain it to you at all if you view a fine film by the
>name of "Dr. Strangelove". :) To sate your curiosity until you can get
>to your local video rental place, "Dr. Strangelove" featured a rainwater-
>drinking character who was obsessed with "purity of essence". Another
>character was named Mandrake.
>

>And yes, it is Mummy Dearest who often has trouble with trivia of the
>60's and 70's. The poor dear grew up on a rural dairy farm, and missed
>out on much of the pop-culture of the era.
>

>-Lamia Ledbetter
>*Who fan* *Amazon* *High-school Senior*
>http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/5570

Ok, uh, I saw Doc Strangelove when it first showed up in movie theaters but
after xxx years I can barely remember who was in it much less details.
<sigh> But now that you mention the Army's guy's obsession it all becomes
clear. (Why do I suddenly feeling like Autolycus?? I can SEEEE....!!) The
only Trivial Pursuit hand I ever won (playing with younger/smarter friends)
was the one that required players to identify the city destroyed by a "big
boy". My friends were still confused even after I mumbled: "It was either
Hiroshima or Nagasaki..." and then I had to explain it to them.

<G>a:)

Bob & Gail Futoran

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
julie e wrote

>I promise there will be another Austin Xenite get-together
>soon...whether it's at my house or not! Since you've been, um...away,
>members of my old Xena-Night crowd was been merged with the Austin
>ATXers to create a super-Xenite-group..and soon, we'll take over the
>world!!! [snip]
>--

>julie e
>ATX Central SysOp - Mission Control
>Check it out at http://www.lavhouse.com/atxcentral_ontheweb/

Some weekend, if you or any of the rest of the gang are in the mood to visit
SA, I can put up quite a few people [1] reasonably comfortable and although
I don't have fancy electronic equipment the TV is relatively new and I think
a 25" screen. Plus I'm only about 25 minutes from downtown and the Alamo,
Riverwalk, El Mercado and other shopping delights! And I've ordered the
second season tapes. :)

I'm looking forward to the next gathering in Austin - and hoping I can make
it.

Gail
[1] "quite a few" works out to about 6, but if people bring sleeping bags
we've been known to accommodate 10.

Bob & Gail Futoran

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
julie e wrote in message <3650F0...@NOSPAMflash.net>...
>>Julie wrote:
>> >LOVED the rats! Just when I thought they couldn't top the screaming
>> >headlice... :o) (nice combo of comedy and "Ewww...")
>> Gail wrote:
>> Your kind of supporting character, huh, Julie? <veg> I know, next time
>> visit I can sleep outside on the fire ant mounds...
>Julie wrote:
>If they have re-formed by then...this damn rain is certainly pissing off
>the ants! :o)

Ours just build higher mounds. I might have to drive the truck over a
couple in the front yard just to get them low enough to put ant killer on.
8}

Julie wrote:
>I thought of the Debt, too. Somehow when Gabby was saying her goodbyes
>to Xena on the boat dock, I expected her to say "Well, here we are
>again..." :o)

At least Ares didn't show up <shudder>. I really like him but once [Gabby's
"debt" & it's Sac2 resolution] was enough, already!

>julie e
>ATX Central SysOp - Mission Control
>Check it out at http://www.lavhouse.com/atxcentral_ontheweb/

Gail

K Giles

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
"Bob & Gail Futoran" <fut...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>The
>only Trivial Pursuit hand I ever won (playing with younger/smarter
friends)
>was the one that required players to identify the city destroyed by a
"big
>boy". My friends were still confused even after I mumbled: "It was
either
>Hiroshima or Nagasaki..." and then I had to explain it to them.

I thought the A-bombs dropped on Japan were nicknamed Little Boy and Fat
Man. Are you mistaken, or am I, or have you deftly turned the tables by
making a joke that flew right over MY head? Oh, the humanity!

I've always been a fair hand at Trivial Pursuit, although the last time I
played (shortly after midnight, New Year's Day, 1998) I was trounced by a
crafty gent by the name of Greg [1]. But I can blame that on the hour,
and the fact that my party was watching "Lisztomania" [2] while playing.
If there's anything that could distract a girl from her little plastic
pie, it's the sight of Franz Liszt and a bevy of beauties flying through
the sky in their pipe organ rocketship, bent on defending the world from
the evil Nazi vampire Richard Wagner [3].

-Lamia Ledbetter
*Who fan* *Amazon* *High-school Senior*
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/5570

[1] His wife claims that he has every question from the Trivial Pursuit
Genus edition memorized, and after playing against him I don't doubt it.

[2] Shades of the 70's! Don't feel bad if you've never seen this flick -
feel lucky.

[3] I swear I am not making this up.

kir...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
In article <3653c542...@news.ocnsd1.sdca.home.com>,

er...@heckman.net (Erin) wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 1998 21:25:37 -0600, julie e <jf...@NOSPAMflash.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Some random thoughts/comments on LUATD:

> >,

> >!
> >
> >I couldn't help but think that it's too bad that Wendy O. Williams isn't
> >with us anymore...she'd have made a terrific cameo. :o) (It just ain't
> >a "chicks in prison" flick without Wendy O! <bg>)
>
> I forgot about that... Now that was a woman who was truly before her
> time. <sniff> <Erin reminisces about Wendy O's shaving cream bikinis>
>
> >(And, speaking as a Cancer, I would like to express my disgust at the
> >negative portrayal of my peaceful crab brothers and sisters! Crabs Are
> >People Too! <g>)
>
> Speaking of flesh eating crabs, does anyone know if Jeffrey Dahmer was
> a Cancer? :)
>
> >One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet (and, frankly, I'm shocked! <g>)
> >was the sexual tension between Gabby and the Warden. Boy oh boy, did
> >Gabby get the hairy eyeball from that woman! "I thought you liked
> >me....." Jeez Louise! And she really liked the way Gabby handled
> >her...uh...stump. :o)
>
> You know, I was looking for that in the ep, and I really didn't see
> it; then again, the fact that Gabs was touching her...uh...stump
> really threw cold water on the whole thing for me.
>
> >(comments from the peanut gallery at my house Saturday night..no ATXers
> >besides myself, BTW..."Is that K-Y she's putting on there?" "Kinda gives
> >a whole new dimension to 'fisting'...")
>
> <horrified screams>
>
> >...And how come most of the prisoners showed up on Shark Island wearing
> >standard Xena-extra, shabby-but-scanty clothing, and our Xena spends yet
> >another episode in a potato sack? :o)
>
> All things considered, I'm surprised they didn't use a hairshirt.
>
> >LOVED Gabby's outfit! (comment from the peanut gallery..."She looks
> >like she's from Santa Cruz!")
>
> Did anyone see if she was wearing Birkenstocks?

Hey! As a Santa Cruzan (and some time lurker, first time poster. Hi,
howdy.) I feel I must protest. Never have I seen anyone in SC pull off New
Bohemian as well as Gabby.

Actually, the healer outfit reminded me much more of Austin, Texas, home of
Threadgills/ROC fan club.

Kirby

Faithf...@palmyra.com

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
On 17 Nov 1998 01:16:23 GMT, "Bob & Gail Futoran"
<fut...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>[snip]

>Ok, uh, I saw Doc Strangelove when it first showed up in movie theaters but
>after xxx years I can barely remember who was in it much less details.

>[snip]
><G>a:)

Let's see, there was Peter Sellers, and Peter Sellers, and oh yeah, I
think Peter Sellers was in it too. :-)
FA

Bob & Gail Futoran

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
K Giles wrote in message <72qu7i$10ua$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>...

>"Bob & Gail Futoran" <fut...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>>The
>>only Trivial Pursuit hand I ever won (playing with younger/smarter
>friends)
>>was the one that required players to identify the city destroyed by a
>"big
>>boy". My friends were still confused even after I mumbled: "It was
>either
>>Hiroshima or Nagasaki..." and then I had to explain it to them.
>
>I thought the A-bombs dropped on Japan were nicknamed Little Boy and Fat
>Man. Are you mistaken, or am I, or have you deftly turned the tables by
>making a joke that flew right over MY head? Oh, the humanity!

No, you're probably right. Hey, it was in the early 80's when I played that
hand! [Gail wanders off mumbling about "cognitive retrieval failure"
again...]

>I've always been a fair hand at Trivial Pursuit, although the last time I
>played (shortly after midnight, New Year's Day, 1998) I was trounced by a
>crafty gent by the name of Greg [1]. But I can blame that on the hour,
>and the fact that my party was watching "Lisztomania" [2]

[snip]
I heard about it but never got around to seeing it. I have no idea why not.
I have seen a lot of bizarre movies but I think I'll avoid making a list :)

Gail

julie e

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
> > >LOVED Gabby's outfit! (comment from the peanut gallery..."She looks
> > >like she's from Santa Cruz!")
> >
> > Did anyone see if she was wearing Birkenstocks?
> >

> Hey! As a Santa Cruzan (and some time lurker, first time poster. Hi,
> howdy.) I feel I must protest. Never have I seen anyone in SC pull off New
> Bohemian as well as Gabby.
>
> Actually, the healer outfit reminded me much more of Austin, Texas, home of
> Threadgills/ROC fan club.
>
> Kirby

Interesting you should say that, Kirby. (by the way, welcome! Have a
Gabri-Ale...) When a friend of mine (from back in my San Jose days)
moved to Austin from Santa Cruz, one of his first comments was that
Austin was Santa Cruz without the ocean. :o)

Erin

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
On Tue, 17 Nov 1998 15:18:03 -0600, julie e <jf...@NOSPAMflash.net>
wrote:

>Interesting you should say that, Kirby. (by the way, welcome! Have a

>Gabri-Ale...) When a friend of mine (from back in my San Jose days)
>moved to Austin from Santa Cruz, one of his first comments was that
>Austin was Santa Cruz without the ocean. :o)

All the marijuana, none of the seawater! :)

Ayla Olson

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
wrote:

>Some random thoughts/comments on LUATD:

>,

>!
>

>(comments from the peanut gallery at my house Saturday night..no ATXers
>besides myself, BTW..."Is that K-Y she's putting on there?" "Kinda gives
>a whole new dimension to 'fisting'...")
>

>LOVED Gabby's outfit! (comment from the peanut gallery..."She looks

>like she's from Santa Cruz!") I realize TPTB like to keep the

Julie e, I *love* reading your posts!!

Ayla :)

Erin

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 21:29:56 -0600, julie e <jf...@NOSPAMflash.net>
wrote:

>> >Some random thoughts/comments on LUATD:

>> >,

>> >!

>Not that it did anything for me or anything...
>(looks at floor) :o)

<suspicious, sidelong glance> :)

>(skipping aroung the room, singing in my best nanny-nanny-boo-boo voice)
>I shocked Erin...I shocked Erin! :o)

Yeah, yeah, enjoy it while it lasts. :)

kir...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
In article <36533bc5...@news.ocnsd1.sdca.home.com>,
er...@heckman.net (Erin) wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Nov 1998 15:18:03 -0600, julie e <jf...@NOSPAMflash.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Interesting you should say that, Kirby. (by the way, welcome! Have a
> >Gabri-Ale...) When a friend of mine (from back in my San Jose days)
> >moved to Austin from Santa Cruz, one of his first comments was that
> >Austin was Santa Cruz without the ocean. :o)
>
> All the marijuana, none of the seawater! :)
>
> Erin

Thanks for the Gabri-Ale! As a relative newbie in California, though, I
think I need to adjust to the local brews. No more Shiner Bock for me :(

"It's the little differences..." Austin -- state university with more people
than trees; Santra Cruz -- state university with more trees than people.
Austin, capitol. Santa Cruz, Capitola!

Kirby, impressively OT for his second post.
Think I'll go write something about Xena.