x-files suX

mofo

Dec 1, 1993, 11:59:53 AM12/1/93
let me start by saying that i wish this had been a good series.
the ads before it started certainly promised alot of intrigue.
instead, they produced the silliest, most superficial, air-brained
crap ever to be shown on the tube. whats even more ridiculous is
that it wasnt summarily cancelled ala chevy chase. who the hell
is watching this trash?

mo...@netcom.com fold, mutilate, and spindle *this*

Gregory J. Nelson

Dec 1, 1993, 1:04:44 PM12/1/93
The first couple of episodes started to show a little promice and captured my
eye for about 15 minutes then I had to turn the channel. Yes the show really
does stink and should be taken from the air waves.

At least the Chevy Chase show has a FEW (but very limited) funny spots. What
ever happend to good TV shows? Are we left with watching old 90210 and Melrose
Place re-runs.......

oh please....

Dean Adams

Dec 1, 1993, 1:18:33 PM12/1/93
In article <nelsongrC...@netcom.com> nels...@netcom.com (Gregory J. Nelson) writes:
>The first couple of episodes started to show a little promice and captured my
>eye for about 15 minutes then I had to turn the channel. Yes the show really
>does stink and should be taken from the air waves.

No way... a couple of the episodes have sucked, but most have been
good, cheap entertainment... and sometimes actually pretty decent.

>At least the Chevy Chase show has a FEW (but very limited) funny spots.

UGH. The *ONLY* "at least" about that show is it was CANCELED!!
Chevy Chase was literally >PAINFUL< to watch he was so bad!

> What ever happend to good TV shows?

Ain't many of 'em around... Seinfeld, Married With Children,
Frasier, TNG/DSN, and not a whole not more these days.

> Are we left with watching old 90210 and Melrose Place re-runs.......

Are they showing reruns of those already?? I hadn't noticed.

Jeffrey A Foust

Dec 1, 1993, 10:14:17 PM12/1/93
In article <mofoCHD...@netcom.com> mo...@netcom.com (mofo) writes:
>who the hell is watching this trash?

Well, my mother watched it a few times and convinced me to check it out. I
did (watching the episode in which an alien presence that looks a hell of a lot
like the "Face on Mars" possessing the former astronaut and current shuttle
program manager causing him to make several sabotage attempts on a shuttle
before and during its mission). It was so silly and stupid I couldn't
stop laughing.

If you want any evidence that the writers of this show have no grasp on
reality then check out the quote in my .sig from that episode. I crack up
everytime I read it. :-)

--
Jeff Foust
EAPS Dept., MIT | "Millions of dollars wasted... that's all Congress

Angelia Derrick

Dec 1, 1993, 9:03:08 PM12/1/93
mofo (mo...@netcom.com) wrote:
: let me start by saying that i wish this had been a good series.

: the ads before it started certainly promised alot of intrigue.
: instead, they produced the silliest, most superficial, air-brained
: crap ever to be shown on the tube. whats even more ridiculous is
: that it wasnt summarily cancelled ala chevy chase. who the hell
: is watching this trash?

I do, Scott, Jan, Melissa, Brooke, Lindsey S, Lindsey, Bruce, Barbara,
Ashleigh, Andrea, Meredith, Sara, Kate, Kati, Sue, Linda, etc..etc...
MANY PEOPLE DO, AND ENJOY IT

Bill Bereza

Dec 1, 1993, 11:35:52 PM12/1/93
In article <mofoCHD...@netcom.com> mo...@netcom.com (mofo) writes:
>let me start by saying that i wish this had been a good series.
>the ads before it started certainly promised alot of intrigue.
>instead, they produced the silliest, most superficial, air-brained
>crap ever to be shown on the tube. whats even more ridiculous is
>that it wasnt summarily cancelled ala chevy chase. who the hell
>is watching this trash?

I don't know why people think that just because a show has something
in it that it's supposed to be true. X-Files is not trying to prove
that aliens exists or anything like that. It's just a show, and it's
fun to watch Mulder nearly get him self killed every time and how
whatever Mulder believes turns out to be true. :) The show's
practically a satire on conspiracy fans. I enjoy it.

--
=======///=====================================================>
/// Bill Bereza

Dale Gee

Dec 2, 1993, 1:12:55 AM12/2/93
The episode that I thought was the worse was when they went after the super
computer. I am trying to figure out if any of the writers for that did any
basic research into computers. When the evil computer called Scully's computer.
Turned it on, then proceeded to do load her files and show what was being
downloaded on the screen.

It's too bad. Before that they was sticking with know stories and working
around those. Which to me made the show interesting. I think they are
now going off into lala land with some of thease stories.

Dale

mofo

Dec 2, 1993, 12:27:10 PM12/2/93
in article <1993Dec2.0...@beech.csis.gvsu.edu> ber...@elm.csis.gvsu.edu (Bill Bereza) scribbles in crayon:

>I don't know why people think that just because a show has something
>in it that it's supposed to be true. X-Files is not trying to prove
>that aliens exists or anything like that. It's just a show, and it's
>fun to watch Mulder nearly get him self killed every time and how
>whatever Mulder believes turns out to be true. :) The show's
>practically a satire on conspiracy fans. I enjoy it.

i disagree. its not funny or bad enough to be a satire. it *is* bad enough
to be irritating. shows dont *have* to reflect reality. i like a work of
fiction as much as the next guy. but i cant deal with shows that are
'surreal' ala twin peaks, etc. i mean would it be entertaining if i
wrote a show about the director of NASA and it turned out he was a major
drug kingpin and a crack addict and he was married to madonna? why not
just leave NASA out of it and do a complete work of fiction. there's no
point in trying to tie some anchor of reality to something like that if
its so preposterous.

or, make it like 'airplane!' or a really bad disaster movie with lots of
hasbeen stars so its funny. then its ok. but a fantasy show based on
craziness but with points of reality; what am i supposed to do with that?
laugh, believe, be intrigued, what?

mofo

Dec 2, 1993, 12:32:04 PM12/2/93
in article <1993Dec2.0...@sol.cs.wmich.edu> Da...@sol.cs.wmich.edu (Dale Gee) scribbles in crayon:

>The episode that I thought was the worse was when they went after the super
>computer. I am trying to figure out if any of the writers for that did any
>basic research into computers. When the evil computer called Scully's computer.
>Turned it on, then proceeded to do load her files and show what was being
>downloaded on the screen.

i dont think there's a single computer user in all of hollywood. i've never
seen an accurate portrayal of computer use on tv or the movies. its probably
because the place is populated with a bunch of right-brained 'artistes' who
would have a hard time using a mac, let alone discussing regular computers.

anybody remember the scene in 'the thing' where the old guy (wilford brimley?)
wrote a computer program to simulate how the thing would gobble up humans?
it looked like the game asteroids. blobs floating around shooting at each
other. i thought, does this mean this guy just spent the last two days
writing a graphics game because he was bored, or is this supposed to represent
the state of the art computer with artificial intelligence? the only sore
spot in an otherwise entertaining movie.

Tracie Burch

Dec 3, 1993, 12:46:23 AM12/3/93
In article <1993Dec2.0...@sol.cs.wmich.edu>,

Hey, what do you want for Friday night TV? Let the rest of us enjoy
X-Files in peace. You never know, "they" might be monitoring this thread
and cancel the show next week.
--
Tracie Burch
EMAIL: tbu...@kaiwan.com

Tracie Burch

Dec 3, 1993, 12:42:45 AM12/3/93
In article <mofoCHD...@netcom.com>, mofo <mo...@netcom.com> wrote:
>let me start by saying that i wish this had been a good series.
>the ads before it started certainly promised alot of intrigue.
>instead, they produced the silliest, most superficial, air-brained
>crap ever to be shown on the tube. whats even more ridiculous is
>that it wasnt summarily cancelled ala chevy chase. who the hell
>is watching this trash?

I'm watching that so called "trash" . . . the show may be weak in plot and
dialog, but it's very entertaining and with all the "reality" shows on TV
I'm glad to see anything that's not about "real life". I say bring back
"Twin Peaks" too!

Devo Spice

Dec 2, 1993, 10:42:34 PM12/2/93
In article <1993Dec2.0...@sol.cs.wmich.edu>, Da...@sol.cs.wmich.edu (Dale Gee) writes:
>The episode that I thought was the worse was when they went after the super
>computer. I am trying to figure out if any of the writers for that did any
>basic research into computers. When the evil computer called Scully's computer.
>Turned it on, then proceeded to do load her files and show what was being
>downloaded on the screen.

True, but that was an integral part of that plot. Scully _had_ to realize that
someone was tapping into her computer. I'm no computer genius, but I figured
that was not how it would really happen, but it didn't bother me. When you're
watching a show like this, you have to accept certain things in order to enjoy
the show.

>It's too bad. Before that they was sticking with know stories and working
>around those. Which to me made the show interesting. I think they are
>now going off into lala land with some of thease stories.

I have yet to see an episode that I didn't enjoy. I think I've missed 2, one
of them was the space one with the possessed astronaut, or something like that.

>Dale

->Later.....Spice ____ _____ _____ _____ __ __
SUDDEN | \| _ |/ _ \|_ _| | | |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ | |\ |_ | | |_| |
/"Bow-wow-wow, oh my God, get out the way\ | | | _| |_| _ |
\ It's Moby Dick in a bikini / | |/ |_ _ | | |
\/\/\ and she wants to play!" /\/\/\/\/ |___/|____|__| |__| |_| |__| |__|
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Bradley Edward Groat

Dec 3, 1993, 10:46:09 AM12/3/93
In article <mofoCHD...@netcom.com> mo...@netcom.com (mofo) writes:
>let me start by saying that i wish this had been a good series.
>the ads before it started certainly promised alot of intrigue.
>instead, they produced the silliest, most superficial, air-brained
>crap ever to be shown on the tube. whats even more ridiculous is
>that it wasnt summarily cancelled ala chevy chase. who the hell
>is watching this trash?

It would be more helpful if you gave your critique direction.
What did you want from the show that it is not delivering?

Brad Groat : (403) 220-7395
Systems Analyst, :
Department of Geomatics : gr...@acs.ucalgary.ca
Faculty of Engineering : br...@ensu.ucalgary.ca

taylor kris

Dec 3, 1993, 12:59:23 PM12/3/93
In article <mofoCHF...@netcom.com> mo...@netcom.com (mofo) writes:
>in article <1993Dec2.0...@sol.cs.wmich.edu> Da...@sol.cs.wmich.edu (Dale Gee) scribbles in crayon:
>>The episode that I thought was the worse was when they went after the super
>>computer. I am trying to figure out if any of the writers for that did any
>>basic research into computers. When the evil computer called Scully's computer.
>>Turned it on, then proceeded to do load her files and show what was being
>>downloaded on the screen.
>>

>i dont think there's a single computer user in all of hollywood. i've never
>seen an accurate portrayal of computer use on tv or the movies. its probably
>because the place is populated with a bunch of right-brained 'artistes' who
>would have a hard time using a mac, let alone discussing regular computers.

So if being an art major makes me an artsy-fartsy, right-brained computer
know-nothing, are you an anal-retentive, logical, left-brained computer
geek? There are a great deal of artist, visual, literary or otherwise,
that *do* know a great deal about computers. Just because some writers
choose to ignore this knowledge doesn't mean they all believe a Mac is a
sandwich at McD's. Come on, this is tv fiction...writers like to bypass
reality when it becomes needed for continuity in the story. Don't get me
wrong, I couldn't stomach the idea of that episode either (why, why WHY
don't they ever build giant 'off' switches on these silly
super-computers??) but I tried to push realism to the side and enjoy it
for what it is.....FICTION.

Psychoholic! "We're not doing it for the sake of art,
and we're not doing it for the sake of
money, NO! We're doing it because we
like drawing naked people!" -Animaniacs

Keith Radley

Dec 3, 1993, 1:09:38 PM12/3/93
I love this show! I set my vcr to tape it every friday! It is a bit old
though. I mean like the alien copy cat, the predator copycat and the
'live' building from a monday night fox movie with paul riser. I did miss
the one where there was an an alien landing and they meet that guy who
saved the project last week. It took like 3 weeks before I finaly got it
to tape right! Now I never miss an episode. I wish it wasent so low in
the ratings, but most of foxes stuff is since it is not a 'major' station.
I hope it stays around for a while!

Bear Giles

Dec 3, 1993, 6:38:14 PM12/3/93
In article <1993Dec3.0...@ultb.isc.rit.edu> tjr...@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>In article <1993Dec2.0...@sol.cs.wmich.edu>, Da...@sol.cs.wmich.edu (Dale Gee) writes:
>>The episode that I thought was the worse was when they went after the super
>>computer. I am trying to figure out if any of the writers for that did any
>>basic research into computers. When the evil computer called Scully's computer.
>>Turned it on, then proceeded to do load her files and show what was being
>>downloaded on the screen.
>
>True, but that was an integral part of that plot. Scully _had_ to realize that
>someone was tapping into her computer. I'm no computer genius, but I figured
>that was not how it would really happen, but it didn't bother me. When you're
>watching a show like this, you have to accept certain things in order to enjoy
>the show.

I agree. There's a rule in SF that you're allowed *one* major scientific
flaw, for the sake of the story. That could be hyperspace, or transporters,
or genetic memory, or ....

More than one (generally), and it's considered "science fantasy" instead
of "science fiction." Subtle difference, but important. (Extremely "hard"
SF doesn't allow any flaws, but few people write, or read :-), it).

If the computer *had* to tap into her computer, and Scully *had* to know
it happened, and the writers felt another development would be confusing
to the viewers (e.g., Schully notices an incorrect last-file-access-time,
possible on Unix but not DOS or Mac), then they did was legitimate. But
they then should have played everything else "straight", which they
definitely did not do in that episode.

--
Bear Giles
be...@cs.colorado.edu/fsl.noaa.gov

Message has been deleted

eab...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2017, 10:13:56 PM11/13/17
On Friday, December 3, 1993 at 12:42:45 AM UTC-5, Tracie Burch wrote:
> I'm glad to see anything that's not about "real life". I say bring back
> "Twin Peaks" too!

Done.