Why is cancer-man now cigarette-man?

John T. Mulvaney

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

As far as I can remember, the character has always been "Cancer Man",
but Fox called him "Cigarette Man" last episode. Is this the first time
that happened?

Have the tobacco companies gotten to Fox-TV?

John

Payada Phrasavath

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

He's always been "Cigarette Smoking Man" but has been given the more
popular name of "Cancer Man" from fans on the internet. Also, Mulder calls
him "Chain Smoking Man" on "Memento Mori".
--

Payada:-)
pay...@worldnet.att.net

John T. Mulvaney <mulv...@pinndec.com> wrote in article
<33027D...@pinndec.com>...

Mark Rajesh Das

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

John T. Mulvaney (mulv...@pinndec.com) wrote:
: As far as I can remember, the character has always been "Cancer Man",

: but Fox called him "Cigarette Man" last episode. Is this the first time
: that happened?

: Have the tobacco companies gotten to Fox-TV?

: John
I believe Scully has called him cancerman and I also belive that
Mr. X also called him cancerman (by the by, how does Mr. X know to
call CSM by that name? I don't remember when Scully or Mulder or
Skinner called the dude cancerman in Mr. X's presence) but I don't
think Mulder called him cancerman. He did call him a
"black lung(ed) sonovabitch" which is the name I tried to use on this
group, but this group didn't follow. Guess they're all chain smokers
here..... How's *that* for logic!!

In any case, I don't think the tobacco co's have gotten to FOX. I don't
see why they'd care since anyone who still believes that cig. smoking
doesn't cause cancer must be a chemist for Phillip Morris or that
other cigarette company (RJ REynolds?)

"TM"

David Clark

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

Payada Phrasavath <pay...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article

> He's always been "Cigarette Smoking Man" but has been given the more
> popular name of "Cancer Man" from fans on the internet. Also, Mulder
calls
> him "Chain Smoking Man" on "Memento Mori".

> John T. Mulvaney <mulv...@pinndec.com> wrote in article

> > As far as I can remember, the character has always been "Cancer Man",

> > but Fox called him "Cigarette Man" last episode. Is this the first
time
> > that happened?

> > Have the tobacco companies gotten to Fox-TV?

> > John

Yes, I think MM was the first time Mulder didn't call him Cancer Man. The
significance is that with Scully having cancer, Mulder can't keep calling
his nemesis Cancer Man without her becoming "Cancer Woman" to him.

Brandon Ray

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

In note <33027D...@pinndec.com>, "John T. Mulvaney" writes:
>As far as I can remember, the character has always been "Cancer Man",
>but Fox called him "Cigarette Man" last episode. Is this the first time
>that happened?
>
>Have the tobacco companies gotten to Fox-TV?
>
>John

The character has always been called "Cigarette Smoking Man" in the scripts
and other official materials. Mulder called him Cancerman, and the fans
picked it up.
---

"Fifty years ago,when I was born...it was unimaginable that someone like me
could have ever become President of the greatest country in human history."
William Jefferson Clinton, 11/5/96

You said it, Bill -- not me.

Donna Lichaw

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

John T. Mulvaney <mulv...@pinndec.com> wrote in article

<33027D...@pinndec.com>...

> As far as I can remember, the character has always been "Cancer Man",
> but Fox called him "Cigarette Man" last episode. Is this the first time
> that happened?

Mulder calling him cancer man, and scully's having cancer may have caused
some confusion for newer viewers.

:) Donna

--
o -
___________________oOOo__U__oOOo____________________

poony

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

I do believe that Mr. Betts hands-down deserves the dub of "Cancer-Man."

In my opinion, being made out of cancer is more worthy of the "Cancer-Man"
title than an old government employee who just happens to smoke...

John T. Mulvaney <mulv...@pinndec.com> wrote in article
<33027D...@pinndec.com>...
> As far as I can remember, the character has always been "Cancer Man",
> but Fox called him "Cigarette Man" last episode. Is this the first time
> that happened?

Hendu

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

In TV Guide several weeks ago, they called him
cigarette-smoking-man. Since when did Mulder become PC???? I think
Cancer-Man is a name Mulder would use more anyway. Who knows, maybe
he's just going through a phase. I don't think that Sculley having
brain cancer would change his calling one of his foes something, but
he is getting a soft side toward Sculley. To bad he didn't know that
the diary was about him.

RICHARD FRANCIS WHITING

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

Actually, I think it would. Mulder stated many times throughout the
episode that he didn't except it. He may de in a state of semi-denial and
can't bring himself to say the word.

Hendu

Feb 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/14/97

But, Mulder stopped using Cancer-Man before he knew of Sculley's
ailment.

J Kamichitis

Feb 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/15/97

Not true, she told him right in the beginning of the show that she had
cancer.

Jo-Ann

Dwight Bell

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

In Winston-Salem, North Carolina they run Fox news right after X-Files.
Sometime last summer they ran a news item on the guy who plays Cancer Man,
but they referred to him as cigarette-smoking man. I thought it was
hillarious that they wouldn't use his real nickname in the news item.

Now the name in the show changes to cigarette-smoking man or chain-smoking
man. I think big tobacco has gotten to Fox and made them change the name.
Or their lawyers are afraid of being sued for something.

Don't think it has anything to do with the Mulder character.

... Dwight Bell
W-S, NC

FPP

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

In article <01bc1c13$a3469700$3551...@dbell.infi.net>, "Dwight Bell"
<db...@nr.infi.net> wrote:

-> In Winston-Salem, North Carolina they run Fox news right after X-Files.
-> Sometime last summer they ran a news item on the guy who plays Cancer Man,
-> but they referred to him as cigarette-smoking man. I thought it was
-> hillarious that they wouldn't use his real nickname in the news item.
->
-> Now the name in the show changes to cigarette-smoking man or chain-smoking
-> man. I think big tobacco has gotten to Fox and made them change the name.
-> Or their lawyers are afraid of being sued for something.
->
-> Don't think it has anything to do with the Mulder character.
->

Officially, the man was *always* meant to be referred to as the Cigarette
Smoking Man.

At least, this is according to Chris Carter...

FPP

--
(fre...@worldnet.att.net)

Bedore

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

with all due respect, I would believe that Mulder wouldn't keep using that
insecnsitive responce when It is clear Skully has cancer allso. Cheer up.
I;;m sure Skully will get cured and he can fo back to good old Cancer man
agiain:-)
Dwight Bell <db...@nr.infi.net> wrote in article
<01bc1c13$a3469700$3551...@dbell.infi.net>...

> In Winston-Salem, North Carolina they run Fox news right after X-Files.

> Sometime last summer they ran a news item on the guy who plays Cancer
Man,

> but they referred to him as cigarette-smoking man. I thought it was

> hillarious that they wouldn't use his real nickname in the news item.
>

> Now the name in the show changes to cigarette-smoking man or
chain-smoking

> man. I think big tobacco has gotten to Fox and made them change the
name.

> Or their lawyers are afraid of being sued for something.
>

> Don't think it has anything to do with the Mulder character.

philebrarian

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97
to Dwight Bell

On 16 Feb 1997, Dwight Bell wrote:
> In Winston-Salem, North Carolina they run Fox news right after X-Files.
> Sometime last summer they ran a news item on the guy who plays Cancer Man,
> but they referred to him as cigarette-smoking man. I thought it was
> hillarious that they wouldn't use his real nickname in the news item.

Actually Dwight... He has been known since his first appearance as
"Cigarette-Smoking Man" in the credits... Cancerman was a scripted
reference to him from the mouth of Mulder (in One Breath I believe).

As far as I know the credits have *never* had anything but Cigarette
Smoking Man in them... only we a.t.x-f'ers have called him the variety of
other names...

> Now the name in the show changes to cigarette-smoking man or chain-smoking
> man. I think big tobacco has gotten to Fox and made them change the name.
> Or their lawyers are afraid of being sued for something.

I've never heard chain-smoking man (my brain wants to say that there
was chain-smoking s-o-b, but that may be wishful thinking)... but as I
said above his name in the credits has _always_ been Cigarette-Smoking
man.

> ... Dwight Bell
> W-S, NC

--philebrarian, COG Webmaster
Deep in the heart of the 'bacca fields (& not particularly happy about it)
Greenville, NC
A.T.X-F'er since Nov. 94

XxXxXxXx Visit the Cult of XXXgizzieXXX Homepage ! xXxXxXxX
http://www.efn.org/~rjl and follow the link
XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXx

Wendy Wimmer

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

J Kamichitis <jk...@epix.net> wrote:
>> > Actually, I think it would. Mulder stated many times throughout the
>> > episode that he didn't except it. He may de in a state of semi-denial and
>> > can't bring himself to say the word.
>> But, Mulder stopped using Cancer-Man before he knew of Sculley's
>> ailment.
>Not true, she told him right in the beginning of the show that she had
>cancer.
>Jo-Ann

Perhaps this is Fox's (the network) way of caving to the heavy
influence of the tobacco industry. You know, there is no scientific
PROOF that smoking causes CANCER...... (sarcasm mode off)

Wendy

Ferris

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97
to David Clark

Hi Dave. I have an autographed copy of the Anasazi script, dated April
25, 1995. Cancer Man is referred to as Cigarette Smoking Man

David Clark wrote:

> Payada Phrasavath <pay...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
>
> > He's always been "Cigarette Smoking Man" but has been given the more
> > popular name of "Cancer Man" from fans on the internet. Also, Mulder
> calls
> > him "Chain Smoking Man" on "Memento Mori".
>

> > John T. Mulvaney <mulv...@pinndec.com> wrote in article
>

> > > As far as I can remember, the character has always been "Cancer Man",
> > > but Fox called him "Cigarette Man" last episode. Is this the first
> time
> > > that happened?
>
> > > Have the tobacco companies gotten to Fox-TV?
>
> > > John
>

> Yes, I think MM was the first time Mulder didn't call him Cancer Man. The
> significance is that with Scully having cancer, Mulder can't keep calling
> his nemesis Cancer Man without her becoming "Cancer Woman" to him.

--
It's a bad time to be poor.... Rheostatics.

colinm...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2018, 9:11:43 PM3/24/18
Wrong...i was watching every x file since its debut in the 90s..he was refered to as cancer man....nothing to do with the internet..even in the script hes cancer man

Travoltron

Mar 25, 2018, 12:57:05 PM3/25/18
On 3/24/2018 6:11 PM, colinm...@gmail.com wrote:
> Wrong...i was watching every x file since its debut in the 90s..he was referred to as cancer man....nothing to do with the internet..even in the script hes cancer man

He has a full name now, Carl Gerhard Busch. Fans should be calling him CGB.