New

beth....@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2016, 12:04:29 AM1/9/16
This is crazy. How did any one survive a fandom in this kind of format? The x files fandom is legendary.

Avon Kerr

Jan 9, 2016, 3:32:29 AM1/9/16
<beth....@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is crazy. How did any one survive a fandom in this kind of format?
> The x files fandom is legendary.

Oh it's quite easy Beth :-)

In the 90s this was the medium to chat across the globe. Fidonet was also
big. I've just restarted the X-FILES echo area there too.

--
Agency News | news.bbs.geek.nz

Giallo_Vera

Jan 9, 2016, 5:30:36 PM1/9/16
On 9/01/2016 4:04 PM, beth....@gmail.com wrote:
> This is crazy. How did any one survive a fandom in this kind of format? The x files fandom is legendary.

The internet has been all downhill since USENET. This is simplistic
perfection, and the dramatic lack of popularity over the last decade has
refined the numbers down to the truely dedicated and the criminally
insane. Using this through a web browser and google groups is definitely
uncomfortable and fiddly though, i recommend you get a proper newsgroup
program and server. Join us in the dusty annals of what was once the
dizzying future.

dmunz

Jan 9, 2016, 6:12:43 PM1/9/16
So what are people using for USENET access these days? I have to admit that I'm lazy and mostly lurking around groups that Google lets play. There was a really good text only reader that I used with Eternal September for a long time to read the Supernatural group but I've lost track of that too,

FWIW
DLM

Giallo_Vera

Jan 9, 2016, 8:22:29 PM1/9/16
Eternal September is a godsend since my ISP ditched its news server, i
use it with good ol' trusty Mozilla Thunderbird.

Alan Hurshman

Jan 25, 2016, 12:43:23 PM1/25/16
On 09-Jan-16 4:32 AM, Avon Kerr wrote:
> <beth....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is crazy. How did any one survive a fandom in this kind of format?
>> The x files fandom is legendary.
>>

> Oh it's quite easy Beth :-)
>
> In the 90s this was the medium to chat across the globe. Fidonet was also
> big. I've just restarted the X-FILES echo area there too.

FIDONET!!! I remember it well. The days of the BBS were
were very interesting.

--
AlanH

Alan Hurshman

Jan 25, 2016, 12:49:31 PM1/25/16
On 09-Jan-16 9:25 PM, Giallo_Vera wrote:

> Eternal September is a godsend since my ISP ditched its news server, i
> use it with good ol' trusty Mozilla Thunderbird.

Just signed up with it. It works a treat. And there is even an
Orpah Black group.

--
AlanH

moxywoman

Jan 25, 2016, 3:53:34 PM1/25/16
On Saturday, 9 January 2016 00:04:29 UTC-5, beth....@gmail.com wrote:
> This is crazy. How did any one survive a fandom in this kind of format? The x files fandom is legendary.

Who said anything about surviving anyway? ;-)

Rachel, CCC
the moxy woman

tblock

Jan 25, 2016, 6:06:55 PM1/25/16
My mom still uses outlook express. I mat have to go to her house to post.

--
T Block
NOROMO

Alan Hurshman

Jan 26, 2016, 9:24:42 AM1/26/16
Thunderbird does the trick for me.

--
AlanH

sabrina de bie

Jan 26, 2016, 2:08:20 PM1/26/16
On Friday, January 8, 2016 at 11:04:29 PM UTC-6, beth....@gmail.com wrote:
> This is crazy. How did any one survive a fandom in this kind of format? The x files fandom is legendary.

This was the net at it's simplest. It was for the most part easy to follow and post. I didn't even think the xf alts still existed. I use to read and post way back when in here. Haven't been in here in years. Been surfing the depths of the net looking to see if anything xf from then still exists. A lot of people use to post/follow the AOL XFF too. Was part of that group as well. That's all gone.

Robyn Landers

Feb 2, 2016, 1:10:08 PM2/2/16
In article <203cde59-8e3f-4dbe...@googlegroups.com>,
dmunz <dlm...@gmail.com> wrote:

>So what are people using for USENET access these days?

Why, 'trn' on Unix, of course.

Robyn