DD in 4/14 NY Daily News

Al Forno

Apr 14, 2004, 9:39:13 AM4/14/04
Duchovny's new role is also 'out there'

By LISA ARCELLA
SPECIAL TO THE NEWS

David Duchovny spent eight years chasing aliens as wisecracking FBI agent Fox
Mulder on "The X-Files."

If you thought that was weird, wait until you see "Connie and Carla," his movie
opening Friday.

Duchovny is Jeff, a guy who finds himself strangely attracted to Connie, the
cross-dressing star of a cabaret show.

Jeff thinks Connie - Nia Vardalos of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" - is a guy
dressing as a woman. But, as Mulder would say, "the truth is out there."

Vardalos plays a struggling lounge singer who witnessed a murder and pretends
to be a drag act to hide from the killers - a kind of reverse twist on the
classic "Some Like It Hot."

In one scene, Duchovny plants a lingering kiss on Vardalos. Her real-life
husband, Ian Gomez, has a part in the movie and was watching the smooch.

"It was a nice kiss, but it wasn't a full-on love scene," the 43-year-old
Duchovny tells the Daily News. "Now that would have been uncomfortable,
especially in a room full of drag queens!"

According to Duchovny - who has degrees from Princeton and Yale - hanging out
with gender-benders wasn't a new experience. "I grew up in the Village, and I
am used to seeing a lot," he says. "And I played a transvestite on 'Twin Peaks'
a long time ago. So I kept on giving people advice on the set, even if it
wasn't really warranted or appreciated. I really wanted to sing and dance too,
but no one would let me.

"It would have been horrific, but I thought that would be funny."

Still, even with opportunities like these, Duchovny isn't about to seal the
"X-Files" just yet. He and co-star Gillian Anderson teamed up for a movie
version in 1998. Now he's hoping to "trust no one" in a second "X-Files" movie.

"I think we will do that some time next year," he says.

"If we would have the great good fortune to do an 'X-Files' sci-fi thriller
every three years for the next 10 or 15 years, I would love that.

"It would be great to take a character into old age," he adds.

Duchovny is married to actress Tea Leoni, 38, best known for the TV sitcom "The
Naked Truth."

The couple lives in Malibu and have two children: Madelaine, 5, and 2-year-old
Kyd.

They co-star in "House of D," premiering at the TriBeCa Film Festival May 6.

Duchovny wrote and directed the film, which also stars Robin Williams and
Erykah Badu.

Duchovny - who unwinds by shooting hoops and practicing yoga - says that since
filming the movie in New York City, he's thinking about moving back to
Manhattan.

"My kids can't go anywhere without being driven," he says. "And it's good to
have some bad weather and days when you can't go to the beach."

Originally published on April 13, 2004

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/story/183359p-159100c.html