updating Flash player in Panasonic web browser

semperlinux

Aug 2, 2012, 10:44:07 AM8/2/12

Hi Forum,

I've just bought a Panasonic 42" Plasma - main reason was to watch
Internet TV with the built-in web browser.
Model no is TX-P42ST50B

And now the fine print kicks in - "not all functions may be possible
with the web browser".
To be more exact, it's not possible to update the Flash player which
more or less renders the web browser unusable.

Anyone else confronted with this ?

More to the point, does anyone know if and when Panasonic might produce
a patch to fix this ?

Many thanks,
Semperlinux

--
semperlinux

marlin...@verizon.spamdam.net

Aug 2, 2012, 1:27:08 PM8/2/12
If any updates are available, they would probably be on Panasonics
support site.

http://shop.panasonic.com/support/

marlin...@verizon.spamdam.net

Aug 2, 2012, 1:32:29 PM8/2/12
On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 13:27:08 -0400, marlin...@verizon.SPAMDAM.net
wrote:
Looking at your model number, it is a European model number. You can
go to the global site for downloads, but looking at that site, it
states downloads can be done on screen. Perhaps it would be a good
idea to look in the owners manual.

semperlinux

Aug 3, 2012, 3:48:30 AM8/3/12

"If any updates are available, they would probably be on Panasonics
support site."

"Looking at your model number, it is a European model number. You can
go to the global site for downloads, but looking at that site, it
states downloads can be done on screen. Perhaps it would be a good
idea to look in the owners manual."

Thanks for your replies.

I've checked with Panasonic Europe and it appears they have no update(s)
for this problem - worse still, it seems like there is nothing planned.

The TV is indeed a European model - Swiss actually.
It automatically checks for software updates and it does work as I've
seen it in operation - a very good system it is too.

The sad thing is, it appears there is no movement on fixing this -
Panasonic seem to be quite happy to use the disclaimer on p. 19 of the
user manual - this, of course, was NOT pointed out at the time of
purchase.

My only hope (Obe wan Kenobe) is to somehow bring this unacceptable
situiation to Panasonic Japans notice in the hope they might do
something about it.

I find it ridiculous that Panasonic release a product where the browser
Flash plugin is already out of date by the time it reaches market and
there's no way of updating it.
After all, viewing TV content via the Internet is one of the biggest
growth areas in current consumer media trends.

Anyone any ideas how we con do a bit of arm-twisting to get Panasonic to
see some sense ?

--
semperlinux

T. Keating

Aug 3, 2012, 11:03:24 AM8/3/12
On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 08:48:30 +0100, semperlinux <semperlin...@homecinemabanter.com>
wrote:
This is just another reason not to waste extra $$$ purchasing a SMART TV.
I.E. It becomes a DUMB(out of date/non-standard) TV in short order.

The best solution is marry your TV (via HDMI) with some platform that receives regular
updates. I.E. Networked PC, MAC or andriod tablet.

J G Miller

Aug 3, 2012, 12:22:02 PM8/3/12
On Friday, August 3rd, 2012, at 11:03:24h -0400, T Keating explained:

> This is just another reason not to waste extra $$$ purchasing a SMART TV.
> I.E. It becomes a DUMB(out of date/non-standard) TV in short order.

Too true. The practice of the SMART TV manufacturers/badgers appears to
be produce a model one year, provide updates in the form of bug fixes but
no new features for about 18 months, but in the following year bring out
another model with more features in the firmware, but never make those
available to the previous year's model.

This is no doubt why there is such enthusiasm for projects such as SAMY GO,
but which Samsung hate with a vengeance and have taken extensive steps
to prevent users from loading non-Samsung firmware.

And you thought when you bought a TV [or other electronic appliance]
you were going to be able to use it as you wanted ...

da...@home.today

Aug 4, 2012, 7:43:24 AM8/4/12
<snip>

>Anyone any ideas how we con do a bit of arm-twisting to get Panasonic to
>see some sense ?
>--
>semperlinux

If it were new and I used a credit card to purchase, I'd dispute the charges arguing
a primary feature of the product is not usable amd the mfg refuses to address the issue.

I won't buy a TV with any of these features as the mfg's simply have no intention of
updating them. Much better to get these features on a blue ray player or other
media player.At least, if they become obslolete, the replacement cost is much less.

Posted with NewsLeecher v4.0 Final
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

bobb...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2012, 1:56:51 AM10/18/12
I am in the same boat with a 50" purchased in the US. Error when updating flash and error cannot be displayed in browser window.

mnad...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2012, 1:56:38 PM11/19/12
Just spent hour on the Chat with Panasonic then called in and talked to Technician, he said that the browser on the TV was built in just to check email and do regular surf, not for watching movies, so it will never play videos. for videos you have to use Apps like amazon app or youtube apps. So, TV has no memory to download and install flash. so bad, but it is what it is, use your laptop, ipod etc and connect via hdmi to use the web in full.

pscp...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2012, 6:49:28 PM12/4/12
On Monday, 19 November 2012 13:56:38 UTC-5, mnad...@gmail.com wrote:
> Just spent hour on the Chat with Panasonic then called in and talked to Technician, he said that the browser on the TV was built in just to check email and do regular surf, not for watching movies, so it will never play videos. for videos you have to use Apps like amazon app or youtube apps. So, TV has no memory to download and install flash. so bad, but it is what it is, use your laptop, ipod etc and connect via hdmi to use the web in full.

I'm online now with Panasonic support so I suspect I'll receive the answer you just provided. I can browse the Internet but not watch Flash movies. I'll keep connecting my laptop with HDMI cable and watch. Better than nothing.

steve...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2012, 11:27:32 PM12/4/12
i have just bought LED idTv TH-L42ET5H , i very disappoint on TV browser not support flash player , i have sent email to panasonic complain and require upgrade or issue new browser on viera market. In 2012, smart TV not support flash player is crazy design.

Ant

Dec 5, 2012, 2:25:01 AM12/5/12
On 12/4/2012 8:27 PM PT, steve...@gmail.com typed:

> i have just bought LED idTv TH-L42ET5H , i very disappoint on TV browser not support flash player , i have sent email to panasonic complain and require upgrade or issue new browser on viera market. In 2012, smart TV not support flash player is crazy design.

What will happen when Flash get obsolete? Adobe wants to dump it.

--
"Number fourteen. The naughty bits of an ant." --Monty Python's Flying
Circus

opti...@home.today

Dec 5, 2012, 7:13:54 PM12/5/12
Either:

1: You bought a tv for which you failed to research and or verify it does what you
want. If this is the case, you messed up!

2: You bought a tv that does not do what the manufacturer, salesperson or product
literature says it will do. If this is the case, take the damn thing back!

boi...@abv.bg

Oct 19, 2013, 6:27:20 AM10/19/13
и аз имам проблем с 42 инча и браузъра му не мога да гледам клипове,няма плеар.

Hel...@aol.com

Oct 21, 2013, 7:21:36 PM10/21/13
Yes, I did some checking into this first to make sure I could watch my mtn. bike racing videos on RedBullTV.com. I found out that the only plasma TV(I did not look into LED's) that Panasonic makes to allow a full internet browser is the VT60 Series TV's in the plasmas. It has the FlashPlayer embedded into the web browser which is the one essential thing needed to play YouTube and say, live mtn. bike racing streaming video on your TV. Unfortunately, the smallest model they make is a 55" which goes for around $1999. Not cheap. No update is available for lower models, as I emailed Panasonic who stated that their software on models other than the VT60, would not support a Flash Player. Can anyone hire a hacker to login and make it work? :)

Hel...@aol.com

Oct 21, 2013, 7:22:26 PM10/21/13
On Thursday, August 2, 2012 10:44:07 AM UTC-4, semperlinux wrote:
Oh, forget Samsung too. None of their TV's support Flash either.

0800r...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2014, 7:22:18 PM1/27/14
On Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:56:51 PM UTC+13, bobb...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, August 2, 2012 9:44:07 AM UTC-5, semperlinux wrote:
>
> > Hi Forum,Having same problem in New Zealand guys! Model: Panasonic\TH-P60S60Z\50" SmartArse Viera. Web Browser: Chrome OS. Prompts tell me to type "plugins" into address bar to access settings that allow me to enable plugin but this is not true because it will not move from there! Meanwhile web browser continues to crash when I get to sites that require Flash to run. No fixes online, and no support from Panasonic (they just don't want to know about it, so this is the end of smart-arse TV purchases from NZ!!!

0800r...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2014, 7:38:26 PM1/27/14
On Friday, August 3, 2012 2:44:07 AM UTC+12, semperlinux wrote:
> Hi Forum,

Seems to be all smart-arse TV's have this Flash player bug; what a horrible experience for us all! The retailers don't mention this problem in the slightest at purchase time...I might go into store & pretend I want to buy a model & get them to do it for me in the store so that they are all aware of what they are doing to their customers. In fact we should all go into stores around the world just to wake them all up because we all know they won't be able to get the updates required. So if you're bored in town one day guys...or have a store with smart-arse salesmen in them...go in just to make their day hell!@! This is International!!!

0800r...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2014, 7:39:51 PM1/27/14
No...They are not there; & the people there do not want to know about it either!

Message has been deleted

indych...@yahoo.com.au

May 4, 2014, 7:16:32 PM5/4/14

indych...@yahoo.com.au

May 4, 2014, 7:20:11 PM5/4/14

indych...@yahoo.com.au

May 4, 2014, 7:23:57 PM5/4/14
On Friday, August 3, 2012 12:44:07 AM UTC+10, semperlinux wrote:
On Friday, August 3, 2012 12:44:07 AM UTC+10, semperlinux wrote:
i agree the browser sucks in relation to catch up TV. the problem is that when I got my Panasonic......EVERY saleperson I talked to told me it would. The problem is that none of the big stores have the internet, so u can't check.

Stephen H. Fischer

May 4, 2014, 8:13:44 PM5/4/14
>> semperlinux
>
> i agree the browser sucks in relation to catch up TV. the problem is that
> when I got my Panasonic......EVERY saleperson I talked to told me it
> would. The problem is that none of the big stores have the internet, so u
> can't check.

Hi,

There was a question like yours perhaps about a different brand a while
back.

You may have been sold a barrel of bricks and a bag of feathers.

What you can do with them will not help you do what you wish.

Sales persons lie, they make their living by what goes out the door, not
what comes back.

I suggest you check:

http://www.avsforum.com/

To see if your model has a discussion group.

SHF

Alan

May 6, 2014, 1:14:01 AM5/6/14
I had similar problems with the software apps on a Panasonic blu-ray
player. Various software updates have not helped.

I tried to find a feedback / support questions point on the web for
it, and, as I recall, eventually found something that was a poor match
for the question, but never got any answer.

I believe that the manufacturers don't care about quality or support.
If they can say "plays youtube" on the box, that is all they care about;
it doesn't have to play it very well, just be an item they can list on
the box and advertising spec.

Fixing problems is entirely out of the question.

Oh, I did take this to AVS. Nothing there.

Alan

searchf...@hotmail.co.uk

May 21, 2014, 9:16:44 AM5/21/14
Have you had any luck with the problem i just got the Panasonic TX42AS520B & i found when i got via the web browser to a certain site (Craftsy.com) & i go to online classes i bought it don't play
So the TV is not good for what i wanted it for
Any ideas

Ant

May 22, 2014, 4:56:44 AM5/22/14
On 5/21/2014 6:16 AM PT, searchf...@hotmail.co.uk typed:

> Have you had any luck with the problem i just got the Panasonic TX42AS520B & i found when i got via the web browser to a certain site (Craftsy.com) & i go to online classes i bought it don't play
> So the TV is not good for what i wanted it for
> Any ideas

TV is not a computer. :P
--
"The tiny ant dares to enter the lion's ear." --Armenian

mibbler@large

May 25, 2014, 3:53:11 PM5/25/14
Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:

>On 5/21/2014 6:16 AM PT, searchf...@hotmail.co.uk typed:
>
>> Have you had any luck with the problem i just got the Panasonic TX42AS520B & i found when i got via the web browser to a certain site (Craftsy.com) & i go to online classes i bought it don't play
>> So the TV is not good for what i wanted it for
>> Any ideas
>
>TV is not a computer. :P

Ant's answer is correct but it doesn't go far enough. Most motion
video on the web requires Adobe Flash which is so buggy that it needs
constant updates to patch the holes that bad guys keep finding. As
new versions are released, web sites gradually drop support for the
older ones. A computer can be kept up to date but a TV is at the
mercy of the manufacturer's update policy. Even Panasonic, a good
company IMO, is not going to keep Flash updated very often.

Your TV has HDMI, component and SCART inputs. Get a computer that has
one of those outputs, preferably HDMI, or add a video card with HDMI
out. I don't think SCART can handle HD and some TVs' component inputs
don't either. You may have to play with resolutions that work and
overscanning issues. Then browse with the computer and watch it on
the TV.

jcurr...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2014, 2:22:25 AM7/23/14
I spoke to Panasonic support re this problem - They say flash player cannot be installed on their smart TV's. I told them their TV was a load of S**t.

John

blazin...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2014, 5:00:48 PM12/10/14
See my reply below:

On Thursday, August 2, 2012 10:44:07 AM UTC-4, semperlinux wrote:
> Hi Forum,
>
> I've just bought a Panasonic 42" Plasma - main reason was to watch
> Internet TV with the built-in web browser.
> Model no is TX-P42ST50B
>
> And now the fine print kicks in - "not all functions may be possible
> with the web browser".
> To be more exact, it's not possible to update the Flash player which
> more or less renders the web browser unusable.
>
> Anyone else confronted with this ?
>
> More to the point, does anyone know if and when Panasonic might produce
> a patch to fix this ?
>
> Many thanks,
> Semperlinux
>

> --
> semperlinux

~~~~~~~

I have a Panasonic ST60, and it has the same half assed Google browser to which you allude. I just discovered that I too have this same problem you have in re Flash

I'm on Time Warner Cable Television, which also delivers Road Runner internet service. TW used to carry RT - Russian Television, but after O'Bama &co started their war with Putin, Russia, or both, TW dropped RT from it's lineup

I guess the only way around this is to hook up a computer and use the TV as a monitor. But if you have a mobile device there are Android and Apple apps that allow you to watch various TV programs on tablets & phones but why not TVs? - again most likely O'Bama &co trying to force people to buy more gadgets "it's the economy stupid". So my sympathies are with you

In any case the web browsers on these things are pathetic and so is whatever processor they have running it eg my Pentium 200 pro was wayyyy faster

Moreover

Depending on what model you have too, Panasonic merely blocks various options on lower priced models - doing a search I've found posts about people complaining that you tube videos stall, which led me to recall that a while back Google stopped doing auto updates of Flash and it's possible this is why they did it - viz., to make this capability no longer function on "smart TVs" at all eg everytime I tried to view a you tube video the browser crashed.

Now on the apps page, I was actually able to add Vudu which really amazed me and they used to have a Vudu apps too which had videos from various TV shows but they also recently changed their interface from one that was really nice to one that really sucks and the Vudu apps app disappeared

So something fishy is going one but that's "capitalism" American style - which is attempting to take over earth. Planned obsolescence so we buy more stuff subscribe to more service.

I hate it

leos.ko...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2016, 3:00:07 PM10/2/16
Dne čtvrtek 2. srpna 2012 16:44:07 UTC+2 semperlinux napsal(a):
> Hi Forum,
>
> I've just bought a Panasonic 42" Plasma - main reason was to watch
> Internet TV with the built-in web browser.
> Model no is TX-P42ST50B
>
> And now the fine print kicks in - "not all functions may be possible
> with the web browser".
> To be more exact, it's not possible to update the Flash player which
> more or less renders the web browser unusable.
>
> Anyone else confronted with this ?
>
> More to the point, does anyone know if and when Panasonic might produce
> a patch to fix this ?
>
> Many thanks,
> Semperlinux
>

> --
> semperlinux

afso...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2016, 7:24:02 PM10/19/16
No they are not updating anything, Panasonic support chat bastard just disconnected me from chat right after he said no updates were happening.