Silvio's hair

Vicstanley

Apr 23, 2001, 5:28:15 PM4/23/01
A friend of mine wonders if Silvio's hair is supposed to be real or if it is a
bad toupee that the other guys in the crew don't dare comment on. I told her
it's meant to remind us that The Sopranos is a black comedy. Only a neanderthal
Steve Van Zandt would have a hairline like that.

Jansen

Apr 23, 2001, 5:37:02 PM4/23/01
Seems I read somewhere Van Zandt has long hair, so to fit the part, he wears a
wig.

It would be hard to disguise it without a wig.

JJ

<Insert something witty here>

Vicstanley

Apr 23, 2001, 6:01:20 PM4/23/01
>Subject: Re: Silvio's hair
>From: jbj...@aol.comREMOVE (Jansen)
>Date: 4/23/01 4:37 PM Central Daylight Time
>Seems I read somewhere Van Zandt has long hair, so to fit the part, he wears
>wig.
>
>It would be hard to disguise it without a wig.

I don't mean Van Zandt the actor wearing a wig. I mean the character Silvio
wearing a wig.

Van Zandt - the E-Street Band guitar player has allegedly been as bald as a
bowling ball for 30 years. Thus the omnipresent bandana. There have never been
any photos of him without it which would lead one to suspect that he is bald.
Doesn't matter though - great musician, great character.

Kirk Dockery

Apr 23, 2001, 6:14:04 PM4/23/01
Actually, he wears a toupee to cover the HUGH BALD SPOT on top of his head.
Same reason he wears a doo-rag when he play with the E Street Band. Can't
have a band member blinding everyone!

"Jansen" <jbj...@aol.comREMOVE> wrote in message

Ozruss2

Apr 23, 2001, 7:56:51 PM4/23/01
he has a bald spot cause of an accident he had and the hair never grew back

Noah Smit

Apr 23, 2001, 9:03:02 PM4/23/01
I think the guy is balding. That's why whenever I see him with Bruce
Springsteen, he's got that bandanna on. He is such a funny cliche mafia
guy, what with the silly rug and his overexaggerated bottom lip thing.

Jeremiah

Apr 23, 2001, 11:28:00 PM4/23/01
What the fuck are you talking about? Who said he wears a wig in real life? I
think everyone was talking about his goddamn charactor.

And since you've seen all these pictures of Van Zandt wearing a do-rag, why
the hell would you not notice the long hair?

Joe Provolone

Apr 24, 2001, 6:48:32 PM4/24/01
I don't read anything into Silvio's overexaggerated facial grimaces or
lid. He's so much of an extreme composite characature that it has to
intentionally be that way. He kinda strikes me as Bandit on the Jonny
Quest cartoons. The settings and other characters on the show were
drawn somewhat realistically, yet Bandit was still drawn and came
across as a cartoon dog.

Joe

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 21:03:02 -0400, Noah Smit <kin...@oberlin.net>

Thumper

Apr 24, 2001, 8:50:45 PM4/24/01
One of the characters in Goodfellas had a doo like Silvio and it's
still not unusual to see a similar look in Jersey.
Thumper

Brian Beam

Apr 26, 2001, 10:47:34 AM4/26/01
In article <3ae600a0...@news.foti1.on.home.com> , Joe Provolone
<smith...@removehotmail.com> wrote:

Little Steven's always done the bandana thing. And the 'grimace' isn't too
far off of reality, IMO.

Message has been deleted

t_buo...@hotmail.it

Jun 6, 2015, 7:14:30 PM6/6/15
Steve Lento (AKA Steve Van Zandt) had an accident when he was a teenager and gor ptojected through the windshield of his car.
The accident permanently damaged parts of hs scalp making it impossible for hair to geow in certain spots of his head so growing hs hair would make him look like a freaky "potato head", for this reason he has always worn hats first and bandannas then since he was in his early 20.
Being that the Sopranos character mobster "Silvio Dante" would not have been credible wearing a bandanna or constantly wearing a hat in every scene Chase and his people opted for the odd wig.
Actually if you see the first pilot episode of the series "Silvio" wears a much more normal and almost credible and natural headpiece, afterwards it was decided that having him wear an oviously exagerated and innatural hairpiece would render better the character and the corrupt/crazy/sociopathic ambience he mingles in throught the show.