[OT] Kristin Kreuk is Chun-Li in Street Fighter

Anybody

Dec 21, 2007, 5:39:00 PM12/21/07

From ComingSoon.net ...

Kristin Kreuk is Chun-Li in Street Fighter!
ComingSoon.net has learned that "Smallville" star
Kristin Kreuk will play Chun-Li in Hyde Park
Entertainment's Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li!
Directed by Andrzej Bartkowiak from a Justin Marks
script, the action pic starts filming in Thailand
in March, 2008. 20th Century Fox will distribute
the live-action feature based on Capcom's video
game. The movie is focused on female fighter
Chun-Li and her journey for justice.

redhawk

Dec 21, 2007, 6:23:17 PM12/21/07

Lana fu comes to the big screen at last. It seems that KK has not
been faking her martial arts prowess, if she can pull off this kind of
an action role. Maybe going to that cult retreat with a "life coach"
guru is starting to pay dividends. KK visualized getting the part and
then made the dream come true...believe it, then achieve it.

Anybody

Dec 21, 2007, 6:41:16 PM12/21/07
In article
<1634bf2f-2797-4554...@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
redhawk <newfou...@hotmail.com> wrote:

There's probably very few actresses that actually wanted the role - the
movie is likely to be a huge turkey like pretty much every other
computer game movie.

redhawk

Dec 21, 2007, 7:03:54 PM12/21/07
On Dec 21, 3:41 pm, Anybody <anyb...@anywhere-anytime.com> wrote:
> In article
> <1634bf2f-2797-4554-b686-626010073...@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,

I'm not so sure there was little competition for the starring role.
Video game movies often have been failures, but there are some notable
successes too. Angelina Jolie went for "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" and
it was very good for her career. Mila Jovovich has done quite well
for herself with the "Resident Evil" film series, whether critics like
them or not. I'm not suggesting that "Street Fighter" will win any
awards, but it's a nice paycheck during the writer's strike and there
is something to be said for that.

BC

Dec 21, 2007, 7:19:10 PM12/21/07

"redhawk" <newfou...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Not to mention that it's just good to see someone on Smallville broadening
their horizons.

David B

Dec 22, 2007, 4:23:07 AM12/22/07
Anybody wrote:

As a rule movies based on video games are almost certain to suck beyond
belief.

Bill Plenge

Dec 22, 2007, 5:26:13 AM12/22/07

I think your rule is too restrictive, it's not just video games, let's not
limit it to video games that would leave out the Dungeon and Dragons movie.

David E. Milligan

Dec 22, 2007, 8:50:01 AM12/22/07

"redhawk" <newfou...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

And we get to see KK. Maybe, if we're lucky there will be some T&A shots.

--
David
http://geocities.com/daviderl31/smallville.htm

Anybody

Dec 22, 2007, 3:46:01 PM12/22/07
In article <fkioo3$7cf$1...@aioe.org>, "Bill Plenge" <B_Pl...@NoSpam.com>
wrote:

There are "Dungeons & Dragons" video games too, so those movies could
still fit the rule. :-)

Great Caesar's Ghost

Dec 23, 2007, 1:34:44 AM12/23/07
On Dec 21, 4:23 pm, redhawk <newfounds...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Lana fu comes to the big screen at last

Actually, she has been on the "big screen" several times already - see
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0471036/

Bradster

Dec 23, 2007, 2:46:30 AM12/23/07

"BC" <bcph...@att.net> wrote in message

This announcement coupled with Michael's departure confirms that the series
will wrap up season 8 at the latest. Clark, Lana and Lex were the original
triangle that the whole show was premised on. Losing two of the three
primary characters will be like trying to sit on a one-legged stool.

Paulf Foley

Dec 23, 2007, 10:17:28 AM12/23/07

redhawk wrote:

>I'm not so sure there was little competition for the starring role.
>Video game movies often have been failures, but there are some notable
>successes too. Angelina Jolie went for "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" and
>it was very good for her career. Mila Jovovich has done quite well
>for herself with the "Resident Evil" film series, whether critics like
>them or not.

Yes, but Jolie and Jovovich can act.

Anybody

Dec 23, 2007, 2:53:34 PM12/23/07
In article <13msv0c...@corp.supernews.com>, Paulf Foley
<paulf...@earthlink.net> wrote:

Really?!?!? I don't know about Mila Javovich, but Angelina Jolie should
really start showing such a talent, although being rather looney
doesn't help her either.

Anybody

Dec 23, 2007, 2:55:02 PM12/23/07
In article <qnobj.6315$DP1.3311@pd7urf2no>, "Bradster"
<bdhayR...@ATHotmailDOT.com> wrote:

Kristin could easily be filming this movie during a Smallville break,
as she has done with other work.

BUT, the show is long past it's "use by date" and really needs to be
put out of it's misery soon.

Jade

Dec 23, 2007, 3:49:49 PM12/23/07
So, after 10+ years, they're doing a Street Fighter "sequel"? Or would this
be considered a "pre-quel."

I liked Ming-Na Wen as Chun Li....not sure if I'll see this version or
not....

"Anybody" <any...@anywhere-anytime.com> wrote in message

Hunter

Dec 23, 2007, 9:29:16 PM12/23/07
In article <221220071139009762%any...@anywhere-anytime.com>,
any...@anywhere-anytime.com says...
----
As much As I love Kristin Kreuk Ming Na Wen will always be Chun-Li to me!
She was hot in 1995's "Street Fighter"!:

http://www.ironicgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/ming-na-chun-li-
street-fighter.jpg

http://usasians-films.tripod.com/pic-fighter1.gif

I will say after seeing her do martial arts on occassion on "Smallville"
and seeing her recently as a superpowered Lana Lang in "Wrath" with her
bad-attitude she would make a *VERY* believeable Chun-Li! She just has to
put on a little muscle on those arms of her. :-) Who knows? Maybe she
will change my mind.
--
----->Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

Hunter

Dec 23, 2007, 9:51:55 PM12/23/07
In article <MRzbj.1051$lo5...@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net>,
ja...@sbcglobal.net says...

> "Anybody" <any...@anywhere-anytime.com> wrote in message
> >
> > From ComingSoon.net ...
> >
> > Kristin Kreuk is Chun-Li in Street Fighter!
> > ComingSoon.net has learned that "Smallville" star
> > Kristin Kreuk will play Chun-Li in Hyde Park
> > Entertainment's Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li!
> > Directed by Andrzej Bartkowiak from a Justin Marks
> > script, the action pic starts filming in Thailand
> > in March, 2008. 20th Century Fox will distribute
> > the live-action feature based on Capcom's video
> > game. The movie is focused on female fighter
> > Chun-Li and her journey for justice.
>
> So, after 10+ years, they're doing a Street Fighter "sequel"? Or would this
> be considered a "pre-quel."
>
> I liked Ming-Na Wen as Chun Li....not sure if I'll see this version or
> not....
---
I just posted about that. I agree; I like Ming-Na as Chun Li as well in
the 1995 "Street Fighter" (from a guy's point of view to be sure if you
know what I mean.! ;-) ) But I am more than willing to let Kirsten
persuade me that she is a worthy replacement. The movie may suck but I
would watch the new version just to see Kirsten. Oh I don't know if this
is a sequel or a prequel, it is most likely just an all new movie not
connected to the old one, especially since this one is supposed to focus
of Chun-Li almost exclusively. No Jean Claude Van Damme in sight! That in
and of itself would be an improvement.

Hunter

Dec 23, 2007, 9:53:36 PM12/23/07
In article <MRzbj.1051$lo5...@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net>,
ja...@sbcglobal.net says...

> "Anybody" <any...@anywhere-anytime.com> wrote in message
> >
> > From ComingSoon.net ...
> >
> > Kristin Kreuk is Chun-Li in Street Fighter!
> > ComingSoon.net has learned that "Smallville" star
> > Kristin Kreuk will play Chun-Li in Hyde Park
> > Entertainment's Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li!
> > Directed by Andrzej Bartkowiak from a Justin Marks
> > script, the action pic starts filming in Thailand
> > in March, 2008. 20th Century Fox will distribute
> > the live-action feature based on Capcom's video
> > game. The movie is focused on female fighter
> > Chun-Li and her journey for justice.
>
> So, after 10+ years, they're doing a Street Fighter "sequel"? Or would this
> be considered a "pre-quel."
>
> I liked Ming-Na Wen as Chun Li....not sure if I'll see this version or
> not....
---
I just posted about that. I agree; I like Ming-Na as Chun Li as well in
the 1995 "Street Fighter" (from a guy's point of view to be sure if you
know what I mean.! ;-) ) But I am more than willing to let Kristin
persuade me that she is a worthy replacement. The movie may suck but I
would watch the new version just to see Kristen. Oh I don't know if this

Martin Phipps

Dec 24, 2007, 7:37:35 AM12/24/07
On Dec 24, 10:53 am, Hunter <buffhun...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <MRzbj.1051$lo5...@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net>,
> j...@sbcglobal.net says...

> > "Anybody" <anyb...@anywhere-anytime.com> wrote in message

> > > From ComingSoon.net ...
>
> > >    Kristin Kreuk is Chun-Li in Street Fighter!
> > >    -------------------------------------------
> > >    ComingSoon.net has learned that "Smallville" star
> > >    Kristin Kreuk will play Chun-Li in Hyde Park
> > >    Entertainment's Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li!
> > >    Directed by Andrzej Bartkowiak from a Justin Marks
> > >    script, the action pic starts filming in Thailand
> > >    in March, 2008. 20th Century Fox will distribute
> > >    the live-action feature based on Capcom's video
> > >    game. The movie is focused on female fighter
> > >    Chun-Li and her journey for justice.
>
> > So, after 10+ years, they're doing a Street Fighter "sequel"?  Or would this
> > be considered a "pre-quel."

http://www.joblo.com/kreuk-kicks-as-chun-li

"Kreuk is providing her exquisite lips and taut young frame and
enchanting smile and eerily seductive eyes (oh right... the
restraining order, sorry) to the lead role of Chun Li in the new
STREET FIGHTER flick, based on the endless videogame series. The Fox
movie comes from cinematographer turned director Andrjez Bartkowiak,
who previously crushed another videogame adaptation with DOOM.

"The script comes from omnipresent writer Justin Marks (HE-MAN,
VOLTRON, and that GREEN ARROW prison movie) and follows combatant Chun
Li and her "journey for justice", which will involve many freakish
characters hitting each other. The new movie will ignore the 1994 Van
Damme flick, the sad final work of Raul Julia.

"Kreuk, who has barely flirted with feature work, continues to make
her infatuated fans suffer through increasingly ridiculous and
convoluted seasons of SMALLVILLE"

> > I liked Ming-Na Wen as Chun Li....not sure if I'll see this version or
> > not....
>
> ---
> I just posted about that. I agree; I like Ming-Na as Chun Li as well in
> the 1995 "Street Fighter

Too demure.

The woman who played Kitana in Mortal Combat was better (and she
wasn't even Asian).

I agree with the poster who suggested that other women might have
turned down the role. I would have thought Maggie Q (of MI3, DH4 and
BoF fame) would have been a more obvious choice, although DH4 may have
convinced the producers that she'd be better as a villain. Oh God.
Imagine Kristin Kreuk beating Maggie Q beatimg each other into
submission. Does that sound mysogynistic? Is it mysogynistic if both
of them are women? Any chance this movie could be rated a hard R?

Martin

Anim8rFSK

Dec 24, 2007, 8:26:32 AM12/24/07
In article <241220070855020491%any...@anywhere-anytime.com>,
Anybody <any...@anywhere-anytime.com> wrote:

But then there would be no reason whatsoever to turn on the CW.

--
R.I.P. Bionic Woman:
The latest reason the WGA should revoke Laeta Kalogridis's union card,

Christopher M.

Dec 24, 2007, 2:05:23 PM12/24/07
"redhawk" <newfou...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>I'm not so sure there was little competition for the starring role.
>Video game movies often have been failures, but there are some notable
>successes too. Angelina Jolie went for "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" and
>it was very good for her career. Mila Jovovich has done quite well
>for herself with the "Resident Evil" film series, whether critics like
>them or not. I'm not suggesting that "Street Fighter" will win any
>awards, but it's a nice paycheck during the writer's strike and there
>is something to be said for that.

Chun-Li seems to be a very popular character with a large fan base.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

redhawk

Dec 24, 2007, 4:36:17 PM12/24/07
On Dec 22, 10:34 pm, "Great Caesar's Ghost" <cowartmi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> On Dec 21, 4:23 pm, redhawk <newfounds...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Lana fu comes to the big screen at last
>
> Actually, she has been on the "big screen" several times already - seehttp://www.imdb.com/name/nm0471036/

Yes, she has several movie roles, including the lead in "Partition"
where she got good reviews. But none of her previous film work has
involved her "Lana fu" martial arts abilities, AFAIK. This is not her
first film role, but it is her first action movie.

David B

Dec 25, 2007, 1:51:22 AM12/25/07
Martin Phipps wrote:

> > > I liked Ming-Na Wen as Chun Li....not sure if I'll see this version or
> > > not....
> >
> > ---
> > I just posted about that. I agree; I like Ming-Na as Chun Li as well in
> > the 1995 "Street Fighter
>
> Too demure.
>
> The woman who played Kitana in Mortal Combat was better (and she
> wasn't even Asian).
>
> I agree with the poster who suggested that other women might have
> turned down the role. I would have thought Maggie Q (of MI3, DH4 and
> BoF fame) would have been a more obvious choice, although DH4 may have
> convinced the producers that she'd be better as a villain. Oh God.
> Imagine Kristin Kreuk beating Maggie Q beatimg each other into
> submission. Does that sound mysogynistic? Is it mysogynistic if both
> of them are women?

No, it's not. it's just plain hot.

Martin Phipps

Dec 25, 2007, 5:24:57 AM12/25/07

In that case, break out the popcorn. KK is going to get all pent up
and sweaty. :)

Martin

bf

Dec 26, 2007, 3:12:58 PM12/26/07
On Dec 23, 2:46 am, "Bradster"

> This announcement coupled with Michael's departure confirms that the series
> will wrap up season 8 at the latest.  Clark, Lana and Lex were the original
> triangle that the whole show was premised on.  Losing two of the three
> primary characters will be like trying to sit on a one-legged stool.-

They could still try to pull it off though.
In all seriousness, if you remove Lana, the show could improve.
Removing Lex could be a blessing in disguise, because (just like
Clark), he's pretty much been stuck as the same character the entire
series -- basically the lonely misunderstood guy that tries to do what
is best for mankind.

Forcing the writers to come up with new characters and/or a new love
interest for Clarkie COULD re-energize the show. It would be nice not
to have the customary scene where Clark strolls into the Lex mansion
and grills Lex about the crime of the week.

Jeri

Dec 26, 2007, 11:45:07 PM12/26/07

The only series I can think of that blythely replaces characters is
Law & Order. Are these "new characters" just for Smallville itself, or
part of the DC pantheon? Young adult Bruce Wayne, taking the country
air from Gotham City? A teen-aged Diana Prince, soon to be Wonder
Woman? Shall they just bring all of those guys back and changed the
name from Smallville to JLA, The Early Years and eliminate Clark, et.
al. all together? And I really like how you say "forcing" the
writers...who's going to do that?

Joseph

Dec 30, 2007, 6:57:01 AM12/30/07
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:45:07 -0800 (PST), Jeri <res6...@verizon.net>
wrote:

>On Dec 26, 3:12 pm, bf <bford...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 23, 2:46 am, "Bradster"
>>
>> > This announcement coupled with Michael's departure confirms that the series
>> > will wrap up season 8 at the latest. Clark, Lana and Lex were the original
>> > triangle that the whole show was premised on. Losing two of the three
>> > primary characters will be like trying to sit on a one-legged stool.-
>>
>> They could still try to pull it off though.
>> In all seriousness, if you remove Lana, the show could improve.
>> Removing Lex could be a blessing in disguise, because (just like
>> Clark), he's pretty much been stuck as the same character the entire
>> series -- basically the lonely misunderstood guy that tries to do what
>> is best for mankind.
>>
>> Forcing the writers to come up with new characters and/or a new love
>> interest for Clarkie COULD re-energize the show. It would be nice not
>> to have the customary scene where Clark strolls into the Lex mansion
>> and grills Lex about the crime of the week.
>
>The only series I can think of that blythely replaces characters is
>Law & Order.

Dr. Who does it. So does Lost.

Anim8rFSK

Dec 30, 2007, 3:28:43 PM12/30/07
In article <2r1fn3lcum2qce111...@4ax.com>,
Joseph <nonex...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

Lost doesn't replace the core characters. Law & Order doesn't have an
original character remaining.

--
Jitterbug phones:
Fourth one is one the way. We'll see what happens. :\

Martin Phipps

Dec 30, 2007, 8:16:45 PM12/30/07
On Dec 31, 4:28 am, Anim8rFSK <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote:
> In article <2r1fn3lcum2qce111nl9jfa30k1afsf...@4ax.com>,
>

>  Joseph <nonexist...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> > On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:45:07 -0800 (PST), Jeri <res6k...@verizon.net>
> > wrote:
>
> > >The only series I can think of that blythely replaces characters is
> > >Law & Order.
>
> > Dr. Who does it. So does Lost.
>
> Lost doesn't replace the core characters.  Law & Order doesn't have an
> original character remaining.

Wasn't the original Law and Order cancelled? Sam Watterson was with
it for its entire run.

If I am not misstaken, Law and Order: SVU has two characters carried
over from Homicide: LIfe on the Street.

Martin

Daryle Walker

Jan 1, 2008, 3:54:02 AM1/1/08
to dar...@gmail.com
On Dec 30 2007, 8:16 pm, Martin Phipps <martinphip...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> On Dec 31, 4:28 am, Anim8rFSK <ANIM8R...@cox.net> wrote:
>

> > In article <2r1fn3lcum2qce111nl9jfa30k1afsf...@4ax.com>,
>
> > Joseph <nonexist...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> > > Dr. Who does it. So does Lost.
>
> > Lost doesn't replace the core characters. Law & Order doesn't have an
> > original character remaining.
>
> Wasn't the original Law and Order cancelled? Sam Watterson was with
> it for its entire run.

It's coming back as a mid-season replacement. Watterson was the
second person in the mid-level DA role. He is now the fourth person
in the top-level DA role. (He has already appeared in one L&O:SVU
episode this season.) The mid-level cop since last season moved up
from the low-level cop role in previous seasons. The lady in the top-
level cop role (the second actor there) has been on the show the
longest (at least one season before Watterson), in the same position.
I don't know if the lady in the low-level DA role is moving up to mid-
level, or if the new actor is going there. (The low-level cop role is
also changing actors.)

> If I am not misstaken, Law and Order: SVU has two characters carried
> over from Homicide: LIfe on the Street.

Nope, just one. But the captain was the first top-level cop in the
original series. (The low-level cop back then is now on L&O:CI.)