"Dear John" Letters

Existential

Mar 3, 1995, 3:20:36 PM3/3/95
Hi all,

With all of these previous postings about Klinger and the "Dear John"
letter that made him re-enlist, this made me think of an interesting traivia
question:

How many "Dear John" notices can you recall being shown on MASH?

(Note that I didn't say Dear John LETTERS, since not all of them were
written!) I can think of... ummm... 4 different instances, see if you can
come up with more.

Cheers,

-------Mark Rosteck-------
(ema...@csri.toronto.edu)
Keeper of the M*A*S*H FAQ!
--------------------------

Richard De Marco

Mar 4, 1995, 3:13:57 PM3/4/95
Betty Christophy (chris...@vms.csd.mu.edu) wrote:

: I can think of three. The one with Klinger, of course, mentioned in the
: previous trivia question, the one with Radar's Dear John on the record,
: and the one with Cowboy ("Dear John from Reno"), though that didn't turn
: out to be a "Dear John letter"

: Betty

How about Henry's 'read between the lines' letter from Lorraine ("Oh
Lorraine, Lorraine, orthodontist?!")? Mind you, this was more like a
"I'm cheating on you" letter than anything else.

At one point, Sargeant Rizzo (though he wasn't identified as such at
this point) got a Dear John letter from his girl - "She dumped me for
some college guy...you think some college guy is better 'n' me?"

There were also numerous instances in which patients received Dear
John letters. One was when a soldier was asked by his former
fiance/girlfriend to return her picture to her, since she was marrying
the son of the local banker.

Lest we forget the time when Frank got a Dear John letter from Louise
("You know the moment I married you I lost all interest in women").

Anyone else?
--
Richard R. De Marco Department of Sociology
dem...@epas.utoronto.ca University of Toronto

Richard De Marco

Mar 4, 1995, 3:22:00 PM3/4/95

Forgot the episode "Hanky Panky", in which nurse Carrie Donovan
receives a "Dear Jane" letter.

Rennie Steve

Mar 5, 1995, 10:46:30 AM3/5/95
On 3 Mar 1995, Existential wrote:

> Date: 3 MAR 95 20:20:36 GMT
> From: Existential <ema...@csri.toronto.edu>
> Newgroups: alt.tv.mash
> Subject: "Dear John" Letters

There was the one where on of the patients got a dear john letter and was
pretty upset about it. The Hawkeye, in his infinite wisdom, went around
camp collecting pictures of girls from all the guys in camp. Then he
wrote a letter for the guy to send back, with all the pictures, to his girl
(she wanted her picture back) saying "Here's your picture back, but since i
can't remember which one is yours...please pick out yours and return the rest.
Thank you". Oh, that was such a riot! Hawkeye could be so mean
sometimes, but i think the girl deserved it. Hehehe!

*** Steve Rennie *** CJAM-fm 91.5 Windsor ***
*** "Help! Help! I'm being *** Disorder on the Border ***
*** repressed !!" *** -the best in eclectic sound***

Sam Pinizzotto

Mar 6, 1995, 3:29:12 AM3/6/95
In article <1995Mar3.1...@jarvis.cs.toronto.edu> ema...@csri.toronto.edu (Existential) writes:
>From: ema...@csri.toronto.edu (Existential)
>Subject: "Dear John" Letters
>Date: 3 Mar 95 20:20:36 GMT

>Hi all,

> With all of these previous postings about Klinger and the "Dear John"
>letter that made him re-enlist, this made me think of an interesting traivia
>question:

> How many "Dear John" notices can you recall being shown on MASH?

>(Note that I didn't say Dear John LETTERS, since not all of them were
>written!) I can think of... ummm... 4 different instances, see if you can
>come up with more.

Radar
Zale
Klinger
Burns
Margaret
Blake (thought his wife was cheeting on him)

Can't think of anymore...

Sam I Am

Durand, Frank

Mar 8, 1995, 10:39:58 AM3/8/95
In article <1995Mar3.1...@jarvis.cs.toronto.edu> ema...@csri.toronto.edu (Existential) writes:
>From: ema...@csri.toronto.edu (Existential)
>Subject: "Dear John" Letters
>Date: 3 Mar 95 20:20:36 GMT

>Hi all,

>Cheers,

1) In the famous "Ahhhh, Bach" episode, Radar gets a Dear John recording
from his sweetheart in Iowa. Hawkeye and Trapper proceed to lift Radar's
spirits by helping him strike up a romance with the sophisticated new nurse.

2) BJ is comforting one of the nurses (can't recall her name) who receives
a "Dear Jane" letter from her husband, things get a little out of hand, BJ
spends the night with her, and spends the rest of the episode beating
himself up with guilt.

3) Frank gets a "Dear John" from his wife who has been tipped off about his
romance with Hot Lips. Frank sweet talks her into taking him back. During
the telephone conversation, he refers to Margaret as "an old war house" and
"an army mule" -- Margaret happens to be standing in the office at the time.

4) Sargent Zale gets a "Dear John" from his wife Hillda (yes, two l's),
breaks his hand punching out the mess tent stove, and carries on with
his "moose." BJ fixes up the hand and the marriage.

5) Father Mulcahy has to give a nurse "the brush off" when she "hugs the
stuffing out of" him. Not really a "Dear John," but close.