Jamie Farr on Alan Alda

Mackenzie

May 23, 2009, 10:59:22 PM5/23/09
Here he talks about working with Alan:

"If I wanted a sermon I'd go to church. He just wouldn't quit. He just
kept adding more speeches and more moralistic stuff. After he got
famous, he got really pompous. He started thinking he was speaking
God's words - not the lines in the script, not his own personal
thoughts. He thought he was speaking the words of God. I think he
thought and believed that God was speaking through him. A person like
that is not easy to be around. "

Vince

May 23, 2009, 11:15:55 PM5/23/09

"Mackenzie" <jade...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Yeah well as a repub I'm sure Farr didn't like a lot of what went on the
set.

Wiseguy

May 24, 2009, 2:09:54 AM5/24/09
"Vince" <vpil...@optonline.net> wrote in

What does politics have to do with the fact that what he said is obviously
true?

Vince

May 24, 2009, 2:23:53 AM5/24/09

"Wiseguy" <epw...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Oh no I'm not taking this any futher

Stormin Mormon

May 24, 2009, 10:17:29 AM5/24/09
Where did you get this quote? Did you find it on the web
some where? Please post a URL if it's out there.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon

May 24, 2009, 10:18:19 AM5/24/09
Do I sense a food fight, coming up? We want something else!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Vince" <vpil...@optonline.net> wrote in message

Mackenzie

May 25, 2009, 6:30:51 PM5/25/09
On May 24, 10:17 am, "Stormin Mormon"

<cayoung61**spambloc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Where did you get this quote? Did you find it on the web
> some where? Please post a URL if it's out there.

On IMBD.com it is under the heading "Personal Quotes":

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0268026/bio

Eddie

May 25, 2009, 7:31:17 PM5/25/09

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0268026/bio

It may be accurate. It may not be. IMDB is great at that.

Charlie

May 27, 2009, 10:22:23 AM5/27/09

Probably why Wayne Rogers left and most likely why Alda begged for
Mike Farrell, another half wit with delusions of grandeur. I bet Gary
Burghoff and Larry Linville left for the same reasons. Just a wild
guess but I bet I'm partially correct with my opinion. I stopped
watching MASH after Rogers and McLean Stevenson left, the show turned
into a moralistic nightmare and the tone changed dramatically at least
for me. Still I have to say one of the best shows ever made
considering the moral tone that Alda beat onto episode after episode.

Charlie

May 27, 2009, 10:27:04 AM5/27/09
On May 23, 11:15 pm, "Vince" <vpilu...@optonline.net> wrote:
> "Mackenzie" <jade_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I bet it had nothing to do with him being a repub or not. I bet he
just got sick of the moralizing. What if the moralizing had come from
someone conservative, would you feel the same way? I'm sure when you
get on a set while filming a show, the best sets are the ones that
keep politics to a minimum. Hogan's Heroes was like this....Bob Crane
was considered a conservative repub who as the star of the show never
moralized his feelings. Everyone else on the set at the time were
considered left leaning, yet they all got along very well on the set,
at least according to Robert Clary and Werner Klemperer.

Message has been deleted

Charlie

May 28, 2009, 8:42:24 AM5/28/09
On May 28, 7:54 am, "A" <a...@att.net> wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "Charlie" <cvarric...@aol.com> wrote in message

>    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Alda did NOT have any production control or
> writing credits (for the most part) in seasons 1-3, when Rogers and
> Stevenson acted.
>    Ditto for through the 5th season when Linville left.
>    Was it not only *after* the 8th season (i.e., 9th-11th) when Alda had
> that control over the tone and "moralistic" browbeating over the scripts?
>    Even then, *episode after episode* seems a bit too much in hyperbole.
>    They had many fine scripts those last 3 years with no "moralizing" from
> Alda or from anybody else.
>    Please be more specific on which episodes grate on your nerves the most
> in your characterization of over-the-top "moralizing."
>    And if it's about PEACE, that was a constant from DAY ONE in 1972.

I was a fan only because of Larry Linville, Wayne Rogers and McLean
Stevenson. I never cared for Alan Alda or his character. As far as
being specific on episodes he moralized, it seemed to me to be about
90% of the shows. But from day one everyone knew Alda was the star of
the show hence the reason Rogers and Stevenson left.

anyon...@nowhere.com

May 28, 2009, 8:46:02 PM5/28/09

Well, everyone has their own opinion.

I have been fortunate enough to meet quite a few famous comics: Robin
Williams, Jim Carrey, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Kaufman, Martin,
Rickles, blah blah blah etc etc etc. Most of them, with the exception
of Pryor, Carlin & Kaufman, were terribly obnoxious and full of
themselves. Non-stop jokes, just non stop..ugh!
While I am not saying Alda is obnoxious or whatever, I suppose there
is a good possibility.

Vince

May 28, 2009, 10:31:28 PM5/28/09

"Charlie" <cvarr...@aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Don't bet you may lose, first off near the end Gary was becoming a pain a
fact that has been well documented.
I saw him on a news show a few years back and HE was the one with god this
and that.

Eddie

May 28, 2009, 10:35:50 PM5/28/09

"A" <aa...@att.net> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes

> "Charlie" <cvarr...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but Alda did NOT have any production control or
> writing credits (for the most part) in seasons 1-3, when Rogers and
> Stevenson acted.

Alda had more control than you're aware of.

> Ditto for through the 5th season when Linville left.

And even more by the end of the 5th season. Less Flagg - more Sidney.

> Was it not only *after* the 8th season (i.e., 9th-11th) when Alda had
> that control over the tone and "moralistic" browbeating over the scripts?

Alda's "moralizing" was evident early on, especially in The Sniper.

Vince

May 28, 2009, 10:33:08 PM5/28/09

"Charlie" <cvarr...@aol.com> wrote in message

Oh was he now a repub who was a porn addict, typical repub hypocrite

Eddie

May 28, 2009, 10:37:49 PM5/28/09

"Vince" <vpil...@optonline.net> wrote in message

By Cooper? Never been verified by anyone else.

Vince

May 28, 2009, 10:55:25 PM5/28/09

<anyon...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

I understand for the most part Alan is a nice guy, only I heard once he told
someone to F**k off.
Sidebar when he used to do the ads for IBM a reporter remarked how he saw
Alan using a different
brand LAPTOP, Hello IBM wasn't making them back then

The wife and I once met Kaufman at the old Improv (beofe he was famous)
where we spoke to him and he kidded around
with us, only for some reason we didn't stay for the show

Message has been deleted

Eddie

May 29, 2009, 6:52:24 AM5/29/09

"A" <aa...@att.net> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "Eddie" <Pba...@aol.com> wrote in message
> I must have missed his "moralizing" in that famous episode I've seen
> dozens of times.
> Unless you mean his hatred of war.
>

> Hawkeye: "You risked your life for a...bread and ketchup sandwich?"
>
> Radar: "With butter and lettuce!"

The chopper that wounded the sniper was originally supposed to kill him.
After all, it's a war and the guy was trying to shoot everyone. Alda had
that scene rewritten to only wound him and then have Hawkeye treat him.
Alda had more control that you're aware of early on.

Message has been deleted

Eddie

May 29, 2009, 2:38:00 PM5/29/09

"A" <aa...@att.net> wrote in message

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "Eddie" <Pba...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Even if he did have more control over content or scripts, how did
> that instance you cite have *anything* to do with "moralizing."
> I don't see it there.
> Wounding or killing him, how does the difference get equated to some
> "moralizing" negative adjective against Alda you say he did in that
> episode?
> 'Splain! ['Ricky Ricardo' to 'Lucy']

Okay. I'll splain. The scene originally called for a chopper with a marksman
to kill a sniper trying to shoot anyone who moves in a war zone which make
total sense, at least to me. Evidently, and after trying to convince Alda
that this guy is trying to kill Hawkeye and Co., Alda's morality would not
do the scene unless a rewrite was done to only wound him, and then have
Hawkeye go and treat him. I think this rewrite was an all-nighter too boot.
Although these guys are doctors and have sworn never to harm, they were not
the ones who were doing the harming and it seems only Alda had a problem
with the original scene.

Even before I knew of this, it never made sense to me.

Also what I never understood is this: A chopper arrives with a marksman and
hovers above a stationary target to shoot this sniper. Even though the
targer is shooting at the chopper, he's shooting one round at a time as
opposed to the marksman firing his automatic rifle, repeatedly. How is it
they only wounded him? Alda.

Alda was also reminded that he was seen in a television movie as a sheriff
and had a gun, but on MASH, "I will NOT carry a gun."

It was clear that Alda was the star of the show and had control early on.
After LG left, he had some more and after Reynolds left, it was in cement.

If you read the book Mark O'Neill and I wrote when it comes out, you will
discover at least two cast members who acknowledge the direction the show
took was largely due to Alda.

CaptJosh

May 29, 2009, 4:13:27 PM5/29/09
I would note that a 1950s chopper isn't exactly a stable platform to
shoot from. Even so...

Stormin Mormon

May 29, 2009, 8:20:45 PM5/29/09
Now, that's interesting. Gets Alan Alda more chance to be in
front of the camera, and portrayed as the hero. I didn't
know that about the scene.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"A" <aa...@att.net> wrote in message

> The chopper that wounded the sniper was originally
> supposed to kill him.
> After all, it's a war and the guy was trying to shoot
> everyone. Alda had
> that scene rewritten to only wound him and then have
> Hawkeye treat him.
> Alda had more control that you're aware of early on.

Even if he did have more control over content or

Stormin Mormon

May 29, 2009, 8:22:34 PM5/29/09
That's fascinating stuff. Where did you hear this? I miss
the old Hogans Heros show.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Vince" <vpil...@optonline.net> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

May 29, 2009, 8:23:54 PM5/29/09
Like he says, if Radar doesn't eat regularly.....

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"A" <aa...@att.net> wrote in message

> Alda had more control than you're aware of.
>
>> Ditto for through the 5th season when Linville left.
>
> And even more by the end of the 5th season. Less Flagg -
> more Sidney.
>
>> Was it not only *after* the 8th season (i.e., 9th-11th)
>> when Alda had
>> that control over the tone and "moralistic" browbeating
>> over the scripts?
>
> Alda's "moralizing" was evident early on, especially in
> The Sniper.

I must have missed his "moralizing" in that famous

Vince

May 29, 2009, 11:02:11 PM5/29/09

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote in message

"I" did not say the above, I said Bob Crane was a porn addict

Stormin Mormon

May 30, 2009, 8:32:41 AM5/30/09
I'm guessing the modern helecopters are more stable. But,
they are blown on the wind, also. Who knows. Maybe the
sniper had a Kim Luk'y day, and didn't get killed?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"CaptJosh" <jsbel...@lcarscommunication.net> wrote in
message news:gvpfkc$u1r$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

Stormin Mormon

May 30, 2009, 8:33:32 AM5/30/09
Sorry about the misquoted text.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote
in message

"I" did not say the above, I said Bob Crane was a porn
addict

Message has been deleted

Vince

May 30, 2009, 11:22:59 AM5/30/09

> Sorry about the misquoted text.
>
> --
> Christopher A. Young
> Learn more about Jesus
> www.lds.org
Thats ok

Eddie

May 30, 2009, 4:29:38 PM5/30/09

"A" <aa...@att.net> wrote in message

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "Eddie" <Pba...@aol.com> wrote in message
> So he had more control earlier than I thought. So what?
> I *still* don't get your "moralizing" adjective in his change of the
> script where he didn't want the sniper to die.
> He was anti-war and didn't want *anyone* to die.
> How was that "moralizing???????"

In this instance, his morals would not allow something to happen that would
have most certainly happened in a real situation. Alda was not the only
person connected with MASH that was anti-war in every sense of the term.
Even those who share his anti-war convictions tried to convince him that the
scene should go as written.
I cannot explain this any better or anymore. The way I see it, his moral
views won out. He demanded a rewrite and got it and was the only person who
had a problem with it. While trying to portray as accurate an account of
events in a war zone, this is not one of them.
There are many people in this world who are strongly anti-war and who are
against people dying. However, in a war, that's exactly what happens. I
think it's fair to say that if this had been during the actual war and Dr.
Pierce called I-Corps to tell them, "Hey, just wound this sniper so I can
treat him afterwards," they might have had a few choice words for him if
they didn't hang up on him first. But this is television and the star
demanded a rewrite because he didn't agree with the reality of this
situation.

Charlie

Jun 1, 2009, 8:49:24 AM6/1/09
On May 28, 10:33 pm, "Vince" <vpilu...@optonline.net> wrote:
> "Charlie" <cvarric...@aol.com> wrote in message

Crane was a well known actor who did lean to the right...his mates use
to tease him all the time but in a nice way because he was well liked
by the entire cast and crew. That was back in the 60's when all the
moral majority crap hadn't hit the fan yet....pull the reigns in vince
it was a different time in the 60's.

Charlie

Jun 1, 2009, 8:50:02 AM6/1/09
On May 29, 1:08 am, "A" <a...@att.net> wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "Eddie" <Pbas...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > "A" <a...@att.net> wrote in message
> >> x-no-archive: yes
>
> >> "Charlie" <cvarric...@aol.com> wrote in message
>        I must have missed his "moralizing" in that famous episode I've seen
> dozens of times.
>        Unless you mean his hatred of war.
>
> Hawkeye: "You risked your life for a...bread and ketchup sandwich?"
>
> Radar:   "With butter and lettuce!"

Was it a comedy or drama?

Charlie

Jun 1, 2009, 8:54:44 AM6/1/09
On May 29, 8:22 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

<cayoung61**spambloc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> That's fascinating stuff. Where did you hear this? I miss
> the old  Hogans Heros show.
>
> --
> Christopher A. Young
> Learn more about Jesus
>  www.lds.org
> .
>
> "Vince" <vpilu...@optonline.net> wrote in message

> Hogan's Heroes was like this....Bob Crane
> was considered a conservative repub who as the star of the
> show never
> moralized his feelings.  Everyone else on the set at the
> time were
> considered left leaning, yet they all got along very well on
> the set,
> at least according to Robert Clary and Werner Klemperer.

Both Robert Clary and Werner Klemperer spoke about it on various shows
as well as books that were written over the years about Crane's
untimely and horrific death. Great book. It is said the only problem
on set was with the lesser parts for some so to speak. I've also read
some info on IMDB as well. To me growing up in the 60's it was the
best show going. They really did like each other...over the years
Dicky Dawson would only talk to writers if they paid him. IN fact
Dicky introduced the guy who allegedly murdered and in my opinion
probably did murder Bob Crane.

http://www.amazon.com/Hogans-Heroes-Behind-Scenes-Stalag/dp/1580630316

Charlie

Jun 1, 2009, 8:56:39 AM6/1/09
On May 29, 11:02 pm, "Vince" <vpilu...@optonline.net> wrote:
> "Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61**spambloc...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > That's fascinating stuff. Where did you hear this? I miss
> > the old  Hogans Heros show.
>
> > --
> > Christopher A. Young
> > Learn more about Jesus
> >  www.lds.org
> > .
>
> > "Vince" <vpilu...@optonline.net> wrote in message

> > Hogan's Heroes was like this....Bob Crane
> > was considered a conservative repub who as the star of the
> > show never
> > moralized his feelings.  Everyone else on the set at the
> > time were
> > considered left leaning, yet they all got along very well on
> > the set,
> > at least according to Robert Clary and Werner Klemperer.
>
> "I" did not say the above, I said Bob Crane was a porn addict

It's what got him killed. Crane for a time was doing a play in the
Seattle area and purchased a place out in the woods and my Father for
years lived on Bainbridge island and it was said Crane and John
Carpenter were ferrying girls left and right to shoot pornos for their
own collection.

ncrdbl1

Jun 3, 2009, 8:16:42 PM6/3/09
I often wonder if Alda had any input when it came to Freeman's name
being changed from Milton to Sidney. Milton Friedman was a well known
conservative economist. While not the same spelling it could be close
enoough to upset someone who is a moralistic leftist.

Vince

Jun 3, 2009, 11:07:13 PM6/3/09
to ncrdbl1
MAN are you reaching

ncrdbl1

Jun 7, 2009, 12:08:33 PM6/7/09

Not really. After re-watching Radar's Report it seems the doctors name
was Milton Freedman which is verrrry similar to conservative economist
Milton Friedman. Do you actually not think in the ultra political
world of hollywood that some leftist didn't notice this and ask that
it be changed? If not then you are the one reaching.

Vince

Jun 7, 2009, 2:17:03 PM6/7/09
to ncrdbl1

Oh pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee

ncrdbl1

Jun 8, 2009, 1:22:16 AM6/8/09

Oh forgive me, no one in hollywood would ever do anything like
changing a characters name for political reasons. Just like they would
never purposely and knowingly use a false story abooutr Dr Charles
Drew either. If you are unable to figure in out my forgive me is
filled to the brim with sarcasm. Of course actors that failed to walk
in lock step with the left have never been black listed either. The
show was filled with very political and very incorrect statements and
assertions.

jvt...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2016, 9:43:26 PM2/28/16
I realize this is an old post but just yesterday my husband and I were watching M*A*S*H and the channel we watch it on was starting over from the very first episode and Klinger had not appeared in it as yet! Then my husband asked...didn't you tell me that Jamie Farr didn't think to much of Alan Alda. I said yes,I just read a quote Jamie said about him in his profile on the IMDB, not more than 6 months ago and it was this exact same quote! However when I went to look at it again to make sure it was on Jamie Farr's page, it was now gone! I thought maybe I could have been wrong and one of the other actors from M*A*S*H said it, so I searched each and every one of the regulars on the show and that quote was nowhere to be found! I'm so glad you quoted that quote here. I knew I had seen and read it! So within the past 6 months someone must have found it offensive and removed it! But I'm inclined to believe it!!!! I just think it's odd the quote is suddenly gone when you posted it several years ago!

sagemich...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2016, 7:46:08 PM3/5/16
This is a really old post but it irked me so much, I had to write. First of all, the show lasted 11 years. Apparently viewers loved it. If you don't like the moralizing of Alan Alda, don't watch it. If you want strictly reality in a show based on a war, don't watch a comedy. If you don't like the writing, acting, or actors, don't watch it. The curious thing is the comments about people who left because of Alan Alda. Go, I say go. The show last over 220 episodes. Most of the political stuff was about protesting the Vietnam war. The one who mentioned it was made in 1960s-check your facts. Try the 70s and 80. The two that despised each other most was Gary and Alan, not Jamie Farr. Seeing one quote does not constitute a rift. Oh and by the way, republicans are the noted ones for moralizing. One thing Alan did was get the spotlight off from infidelity. It was the 50s and yet no one but Potter and Klinger was faithful that was married. Even Honeycutt had an affair. Go figure. Alan faithful to his one wife, gets portrayed as womanizer. Glad he stopped that. If you want to know who had the biggest problem with Alan. Try the author, hated that Hawkeye became bleeding heart liberal. He was meant to be a conservative republican. Look at history. People were sick of Vietnam war. Pro war would have shut that down in a couple of seasons.

markone...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2016, 4:55:04 PM3/18/16
...politics aside, I would imagine everyone's place was more clearly defined when you had the original duo, Gelbart and Reynolds, at the helm. After that, with that particular structure gone, I would imagine problems with dynamics more easily arose.
...my favorite episodes were ones from the first 3 seasons where everyone was treated equally (as opposed to Alda clearly being the focus). Alda still stood out, but not overly so.

Will Dockery

May 28, 2016, 12:37:53 AM5/28/16
On Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 10:59:22 PM UTC-4, Mackenzie wrote:
> Here he talks about working with Alan:
>
> "If I wanted a sermon I'd go to church. He just wouldn't quit. He just
> kept adding more speeches and more moralistic stuff. After he got
> famous, he got really pompous. He started thinking he was speaking
> God's words - not the lines in the script, not his own personal
> thoughts. He thought he was speaking the words of God. I think he
> thought and believed that God was speaking through him. A person like
> that is not easy to be around. "

Wow... and so out of character for Hawkeye.

Will Dockery

May 28, 2016, 8:51:38 AM5/28/16
On Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 7:46:08 PM UTC-5, sagemich...@gmail.com wrote:

> If you want to know who had the biggest problem with Alan. Try the author, hated that Hawkeye became bleeding heart liberal. He was meant to be a conservative republican. Look at history. People were sick of Vietnam war. Pro war would have shut that down in a couple of seasons.

Yes, in fact I'm just now reading "M*A*S*H Mania" and Richard Hooker, in 1977, was laying out a surprisingly, even incredibly different interpretation of the Hawkeye character than the one Alan Alda was presenting on television at that time:

http://www.slideshare.net/puckslam/m-a-sh-15-mania-richard-hooker

An example was my trouble last summer with the MCRL (that's the Maine Civil Rights League). I'd like to explain something here and now because so much of this book, directly or indirectly, expresses the opinions and documents the habits and contrariness of my chief surgeon, Dr. Hawkeye. Pierce. Hawkeye spent most of his life in or around Spruce Harbor, where we have a variety of ethnic groups, and h chosen, as his nonmedical associates, citizens fro what a local intellectual calls the rough-and-tumble element of our society. He has adopted and maybe enlarged upon the speech habits of this element. He often refers to blacks as n****** or coons, to French Canadians as frogs and lily pad jumpers and swamp canaries, to Italians as guineas, to Lebanese as camel drivers, to Jews as Hebes. Therefore he is automatically branded a bigot by certain people. "These folks are interesting," Hawk says. "They hear a colloquial ethnic designation and they have an alarm reaction. They think that the words automatically degrade the individual. They don't understand that under certain circumstances these same words establish a bond of understanding and even affection or, for chrissake, that half the people here or anywhere else don't know that colloquial ethnic designations are a departure from what the effete snobs consider proper." There are about a hundred blacks in Spruce Harbor. A newly arrived physician asked Dr. Pierce a few years ago why he did nearly all the surgery on the black population. "Because I don't keep them waiting in my office or stiff them on weekends any more than I do anybody else. They know I want to get paid if they've got it but will work for zip if I have to. They know they ain't getting no reverse Tom action from Hawkeye Pierce. Also, as I told the Reverend Johnson after I grabbed his gallbladder, you make a hole in a nigger, even a n***** preacher, you can't tell him from anybody else." In all of Maine we have about one thousand blacks, a couple thousand Indians and four thousand members (says Hawkeye Pierce) of the MCRL. Dr. Pierce believes that these four thousand include two thousand two hundred fifty Bad Hairs. A Bad Hair is anyone whose haircut extends beyond Hawkeye's crew cut. Most of the Bad Hairs are in college either as students or faculty. "The average Bad Hair," according to Hawk, "will never make as much money as any jig on a Detroit assembly line. His idea of how to bestow Civil Rights is to blow pot with the campus blacks. They're a bunch of jerks who cultivate the blacks because they hope the black cats are losing as bad as they are. They don't want to liberate the blacks.

Hawkeye with a crewcut, using the "N" word... amazing reading.

ncrdbl1

May 31, 2016, 6:22:20 PM5/31/16
So Alan was just like Hawkeye or vice versa. Self servicing my beliefs are so superior to that of others. Massive egotist. I hated him in guerrilla of my dreams. Even when presented with evidence of the guerrilla intent to kill another patient he tried to rationalize how she was the victim.

Or how he refused to allow the writers to kill the sniper who was attacking the compound in another episode.

ncrdbl1

May 31, 2016, 6:25:52 PM5/31/16
On Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 10:15:55 PM UTC-5, Vince wrote:
> "Mackenzie" <jade...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Here he talks about working with Alan:
> >
> > "If I wanted a sermon I'd go to church. He just wouldn't quit. He just
> > kept adding more speeches and more moralistic stuff. After he got
> > famous, he got really pompous. He started thinking he was speaking
> > God's words - not the lines in the script, not his own personal
> > thoughts. He thought he was speaking the words of God. I think he
> > thought and believed that God was speaking through him. A person like
> > that is not easy to be around. "
>

> Yeah well as a repub I'm sure Farr didn't like a lot of what went on the
> set.

Do not forget that Sidney's original name was Milton. But there was a conservative economist of that era named Milton Freedman and the character's name was changed.

Stormin Mormon

Jun 2, 2016, 8:54:05 AM6/2/16
On 5/31/2016 6:22 PM, ncrdbl1 wrote:
> So Alan was just like Hawkeye or vice versa. Self servicing my beliefs are so superior to that of others. Massive egotist. I hated him in guerrilla of my dreams. Even when presented with evidence of the guerrilla intent to kill another patient he tried to rationalize how she was the victim.
>
> Or how he refused to allow the writers to kill the sniper who was attacking the compound in another episode.

"I think they got him and a half". Should ought
have been lethal, with that chopper mounted
machine gun.

Interesting that he got to play a character
much like him self. Or did his self change the
character?

--
.
Christopher A. Young

B. Holt

Mar 17, 2017, 6:35:41 PM3/17/17
On Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 7:59:22 PM UTC-7, Mackenzie wrote:
> Here he talks about working with Alan:
>
> "If I wanted a sermon I'd go to church. He just wouldn't quit. He just
> kept adding more speeches and more moralistic stuff. After he got
> famous, he got really pompous. He started thinking he was speaking
> God's words - not the lines in the script, not his own personal
> thoughts. He thought he was speaking the words of God. I think he
> thought and believed that God was speaking through him. A person like
> that is not easy to be around. "

I agree with Farr. Alda is another one of these liberals who thinks he is brilliant because he is a liberal. Frankly, I thought Alda was grossly overrated. He always looked like he needed a bath or something.

tomjohns...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2017, 9:32:46 AM4/16/17
On Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 10:31:28 PM UTC-4, Vince wrote:
> "Charlie" <cvarr...@aol.com> wrote in message
> On May 23, 10:59 pm, Mackenzie <jade_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Here he talks about working with Alan:
> >
> > "If I wanted a sermon I'd go to church. He just wouldn't quit. He just
> > kept adding more speeches and more moralistic stuff. After he got
> > famous, he got really pompous. He started thinking he was speaking
> > God's words - not the lines in the script, not his own personal
> > thoughts. He thought he was speaking the words of God. I think he
> > thought and believed that God was speaking through him. A person like
> > that is not easy to be around. "
>
> Probably why Wayne Rogers left and most likely why Alda begged for
> Mike Farrell, another half wit with delusions of grandeur. I bet Gary
> Burghoff and Larry Linville left for the same reasons. Just a wild
> guess but I bet I'm partially correct with my opinion. I stopped
> watching MASH after Rogers and McLean Stevenson left, the show turned
> into a moralistic nightmare and the tone changed dramatically at least
> for me. Still I have to say one of the best shows ever made
> considering the moral tone that Alda beat onto episode after episode.
>
> Don't bet you may lose, first off near the end Gary was becoming a pain a
> fact that has been well documented.
> I saw him on a news show a few years back and HE was the one with god this
> and that.

Anyone that watched that show must have seen it. I loved that show, but the last few seasons were harder to watch because of Alda's influence

scoope...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2017, 9:30:27 AM10/2/17
Linville and Stevenson left to pursue other role,its was the kiss of death for both of them,Stevenson later admitting he should’ve never left the show,Linville just played simililar type of characters as Burns in different tv series,Burghoff left because he knew his character had run its course,love to know where this quote from Farr came from,for me even with these characters leaving,its still the greatest tv series ever.

foxofth...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2017, 9:34:23 PM10/11/17
On Monday, October 2, 2017 at 9:30:27 AM UTC-4, scoope...@gmail.com wrote:
> Linville and Stevenson left to pursue other role,its was the kiss of death for both of them,Stevenson later admitting he should’ve never left the show,Linville just played simililar type of characters as Burns in different tv series,Burghoff left because he knew his character had run its course,love to know where this quote from Farr came from,for me even with these characters leaving,its still the greatest tv series ever.

The greatest tv series ever is certainly subjective isn't? A was stated previously by others, Alda's moral compass became the guiding force/factor for script writing.

Once the brains behind the adaptation from movie to tv was pushed out it was approx. 8 years of Alda's creative consulting.

I really don't remember who was credited with writing , scripting the farewell movie but it S U C K E D. Pure garbage. The kind that comes from a true creative consultant who abhors violence so much he won't defend himself when attacked.

....and gawd ! Ferrell and his character ..... blah.

ncrdbl1

May 29, 2018, 7:11:10 PM5/29/18
Interesting part is in the book and movie Hawkeye was a support character and Trapper was the main character among the doctors.