The truth about Gary Burghoff

Max Wallace

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

I just discovered this newsgroup and I'm sure this subject has been
discussed before here but, since I'm new, I'd appreciate somebody filling
me in.

For years, I've heard that Gary Burghoff was one of the most despised
actors in Hollywood history by his fellow actors, including virtually all
the cast members of the M*A*S*H movie and series.

Nobody ever seems to give examples of what made Burghoff such a jerk. Does
anybody know a good source?

Eric Newman

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

ae...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Max Wallace) wrote:

Jackie Cooper's memoir _Please Don't Shoot My Dog_ tells of his being
a pain in the ass on the MASH set (he's described as a pseudo-method
actor type, always wanting to know his "motivation"), but he's not
singled out. Loretta Swit and McLean Stevenson are also said to have
made life difficult for Cooper when he was the director. Cooper
specifically praises Wayne Rogers and Larry Linville for their
professionalism and cooperation.

Eric Newman
ed...@intac.com
¤¿¤

Chris Borg

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

well he is a rightwing nut

Ken Wagoner

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

In <4m9qi3$r...@jeeves.usfca.edu> bo...@ac.usfca.edu (Chris Borg) writes:

>well he is a rightwing nut

Give us some information on this one. What defines a "rightwing nut"
in your opinion?

I'd love to hear the answer to this.

Ken

Mary Emily Cummins

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

Ken Wagoner (teri...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: >
: >well he is a rightwing nut

: >
: Give us some information on this one. What defines a "rightwing nut"
: in your opinion?
: I'd love to hear the answer to this.

Ha! I agree. Original poster, please respond.

Emily

--

M. Emily Cummins, delegate to the D.C. Miscing Convention

George Washington University | BA '95, Wake Forest University
Political Science Department | "Dear Old Wake Forest,
email: cum...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu | Thine is a Noble Name!"

WAKE FOREST DEMON DEACONS, ACC CHAMPS 1995 and 1996!!!

Robert Nicholson

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

ae...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Max Wallace) writes:

> I just discovered this newsgroup and I'm sure this subject has been
> discussed before here but, since I'm new, I'd appreciate somebody filling
> me in.
>
> For years, I've heard that Gary Burghoff was one of the most despised
> actors in Hollywood history by his fellow actors, including virtually all
> the cast members of the M*A*S*H movie and series.
>
> Nobody ever seems to give examples of what made Burghoff such a jerk. Does
> anybody know a good source?

I don't believe this. How could he last on the show that long if
nobody got along with him?

Ed Walsh

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

> >For years, I've heard that Gary Burghoff was one of the most despised
> >actors in Hollywood history by his fellow actors, including virtually

I certianly have no idea what he was like on the set, however I can say
that I have met Gary at a restaurant I ran in Chico, CA many times (he
lives in the area a few months out of the year). On a couple of
occasions he invited me to sit down with him and we had great
discussions. On each occasion he was in the restaurant he cam across
like a very decent person. He did not act stuck up or seem to mind
speaking with people.

If anyone else has further experiences with Gay, I'd love to hear them.

MrQuixote

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

There isn't anyone reading this newsgroup who wouldn't come away from an
encounter with Gary feeling like s/he had just spent time with a sincere,
friendly guy who is a husband and father and just happens to have been an
actor in the best series ever on television.

Gary has a 20 year old daughter, Gina, who is living in LA and against her
dad's advice (because he knows how tough it is) is trying to make it as an
actress. The two of them did a made for video movie last year titled
"Behind the Waterfall". It's produced by a company called "Feature Films
for Families." You can a copy at 800 347-2833. Gary and his wife have
two young sons, around ages 6 and 9, and lives in Northern California.

As I posted a while back, Gary has been doing wildlife paintings which are
sold in a number of galleries around the country. If you want a catalog,
write to him care of General Delivery, Magalia CA 95954 and include a
large self addressed stamped envelope (78 cents postage should cover it).
Since he doesn't have a secretary, he's hard pressed to answer tons of fan
mail, so don't get bent out of shape if you don't get a quick, personal
response.

Gary was burned out during his last couple of years on MASH. He
acknowledges that his behavior then wasn't the best. But how many of us
can look back on the way we were twenty years ago and say that we were
perfect and always great to be around. Growing up on TV is not the
easiest thing in the world to do. Frankly, it was tough being a Dad in
his thirties and running into fans who would seriously ask him where his
teddy bear was. It's the same sort of thing as Jamie Farr sitting in a
restaurant and some wise guy coming up holding his wife's earing and
asking Jamie if it was his. Those jokes get old very quickly, and when an
actor is trying to get in some quality time with his own kids and wife,
it's hard to keep putting on a happy face when confronted with that time
after time. They certainly recognize that they owe something to their
loyal fans, but there's a limit.

I hope this satisfies everyone's curiosity about Gary. As Mike Farrell
said, he's a terrific actor. It would be nice if some network casting
type could look beyond "Radar" and realize that there are a lot of us who
would like to see him on tv again in a quality show.

MrQuixote

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

This is getting annoying. Both Larry Gelbart and Mike Farrell have posted
comments which essentially ask everyone to stop slandering Gary. If you
want to comment on the subject--and since you don't believe it--why repeat
the slander? Those who follow the newsgroup know what you're talking
about from the listed subject; those who are new to the newsgroup don't
need to hear that crap yet again.

MH

jel...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2013, 11:23:43 PM9/22/13
I have personally met Gary several times, in fact our kids were classmates. He was ALWAYS very nice, personable and approachable, you have to remember something, these folks from M*A*S*H are approached DAILY for autographs photo's etc, they have been asked the se questions about the show for 40 years. Give them the space YOU require when you're at theories, shopping, out with the kids. Like acting timing is everything, know your limits they don't owe us a thing. Gary does NOT need me to defend him but, I will say this. He is NOT A JERK,and always treated me kindly.

jel...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2013, 11:25:45 PM9/22/13

burd44

Oct 15, 2013, 11:13:32 AM10/15/13
On Tuesday, April 30, 1996 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Max Wallace wrote:
> I just discovered this newsgroup and I'm sure this subject has been
> discussed before here but, since I'm new, I'd appreciate somebody filling
> me in.
>
> For years, I've heard that Gary Burghoff was one of the most despised
> actors in Hollywood history by his fellow actors, including virtually all
> the cast members of the M*A*S*H movie and series.
>
> Nobody ever seems to give examples of what made Burghoff such a jerk. Does
> anybody know a good source?

Excuse me. GB was loved by the cast, crew, his fans, Look what Gary did for Eddie and Marok O. He could have said no. But there he is, for all the time, if we are still here.

Captain Infinity

Oct 15, 2013, 1:46:14 PM10/15/13
Once Upon A Time,
You are replying to a post made 17 years ago. I seriously doubt that "we"
are still here.

**
Captain Infinity

Wiseguy

Oct 15, 2013, 11:10:33 PM10/15/13
burd44 <bur...@gmail.com> wrote in
According to Vince Waldron, author of Classic Sitcoms:

"Gary Burghoff decided to leave the series at the end of the seventh
year, complaining that the monotony of the series had taken its toll.
Though few tears were shed when the hotheaded actor finally left, CBS
coerced him to return for [the] two-part farewell episode."

From a 1983 TV Guide article:

"Although no one wanted to be quoted for the record, the feelings about
Gary Burghoff's leaving were fairly unanimous: loved Radar, hated
Burghoff. As summed up by one of the principals, 'Gary had personality
problems. He always felt there was a conspiracy against him. He was
rude to everyone. but if anyone said anything back to him, he'd throw a
tantrum. Once Mike Farrell told him his problem was that he could dish
it out but he couldn't take it, and Gary said, 'And I'm getting real
sick and tired of dishing it out.' The poor guy didn't even realize what
he'd said.'"

burd44

Oct 21, 2013, 4:04:20 PM10/21/13
On Tuesday, April 30, 1996 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Max Wallace wrote:
> I just discovered this newsgroup and I'm sure this subject has been
> discussed before here but, since I'm new, I'd appreciate somebody filling
> me in.
>
> For years, I've heard that Gary Burghoff was one of the most despised
> actors in Hollywood history by his fellow actors, including virtually all
> the cast members of the M*A*S*H movie and series.
>
> Nobody ever seems to give examples of what made Burghoff such a jerk. Does
> anybody know a good source?

Alive are we....just as before I was awol for 6 months. I don't have a dime, the former sister wiped me out, Remember...Clost to $200,000.00 is gone.
We are here.
Gary B, lost the playbill as per, I forget the name of the show on Broadway.
Not off or off off.

burd...stick it

lawren...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2014, 10:56:38 AM7/10/14
> On Tuesday, April 30, 1996 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Max Wallace wrote:

Eighteen years later, I responded.

Stormin Mormon

Jul 10, 2014, 12:05:24 PM7/10/14
On 7/10/2014 10:56 AM, lawren...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Tuesday, April 30, 1996 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Max Wallace wrote:
>
> Eighteen years later, I responded.

I'm all aquivver... what's the scoop
on Gary? Did he take Hawkeye's advice
and peek in the mens shower or what?

--
.
Christopher A. Young

Andy K.

Jul 10, 2014, 4:29:11 PM7/10/14
On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 12:05:24 -0400
Stormin Mormon <cayo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/10/2014 10:56 AM, lawren...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> On Tuesday, April 30, 1996 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Max Wallace wrote:
> >
> > Eighteen years later, I responded.
> >
> I'm all aquivver... what's the scoop
> on Gary? Did he take Hawkeye's advice
> and peek in the mens shower or what?

What's more important, does he still like Grape Nehi?

I actually had to do a web search for how exactly it is spelled, and what it
actually is. In case someone is as uneducated as I am:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehi

--
A.

Wiseguy

Jul 10, 2014, 11:53:21 PM7/10/14
"Andy K." <andy...@gmail.com> wrote in
Gary is the actor, Radar is the character.

Will Dockery

Jul 11, 2014, 2:16:27 AM7/11/14
On Thursday, July 10, 2014 4:29:11 PM UTC-4, Andy K. wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 12:05:24 -0400
> Stormin Mormon <cayo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7/10/2014 10:56 AM, lawren...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> On Tuesday, April 30, 1996 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Max Wallace wrote:
>
> > > Eighteen years later, I responded.
>
> > I'm all aquivver... what's the scoop
> > on Gary? Did he take Hawkeye's advice
> > and peek in the mens shower or what?

Seems that Gary is more like the "real" Radar (from the original novel) who is noticeably less innocent/naive than the television adaptation took him.

> What's more important, does he still like Grape Nehi?
>
> I actually had to do a web search for how exactly it is spelled, and what it
> actually is. In case someone is as uneducated as I am:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehi

I think we here in the Columbus Georgia area take knowledge of Nehi and other Royal Crown products for granted since these soft drinks have been a part of our everyday lives pretty much forever.

http://www.gono.com/museum2003/museum%20collect%20info/royalcrowncola.htm

"Royal Crown had its humble beginnings at the turn of the century as a ginger ale. Claude A Hatcher, a young pharmacist and his father owned the Hatcher Grocery Company in Columbus, Georgia. After a falling-out with a local soda bottler, Hatcher began bottling ginger ale which was followed by a line of flavors [...] In 1905, due to strong sales of their newly created drinks, Hatcher and his father organized their bottling operation into the Union Bottling Works and added Chero-Cola to their line of soft drinks. Chero-Cola was a sweet caramel colored soft drink..."

NEHI, a product of Royal Crown Cola Co, had its debut in the early 1920's as part of the then Chero-Cola Company. At the time, Chero-Cola was the feature soda line, and Nehi was introduced to provide a multi flavor drink.

There are at least two stories circulating as to the origin of the name "Nehi". One story is that the company founder, Claude Hatcher, in the early 1920's sent one of his salesmen across the Chattahoochee River from Columbus to check out his competition in Alabama. The happy salesman returned to report that Alabama competition was only "knee-high"... The other recurring story concerns the checking of bottle samples that were being considered for the new flavor line. Most of the drinks of that era were of the 6 or 7 ounce sizes. When the tall 9 ounce Nehi sample was set beside the competitors brands, the comment was made that the smaller bottles looked "knee-high" beside their new container..."

joem...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2016, 6:34:35 PM9/17/16
Right-wing nut are you serious the Liberals destroyed this country the last 8 years and they will continue to do so Liberals are funny they preach how tolerant they are and how they respect human rights.. but if you really look all they care about is their agendas keeping the poor man down by giving them a check every month with no way out of his predicament and the worst part about them when they don't agree with you they don't stop with respecting your right to disagree they will do whatever it takes to bring you down or bend the law to suit them yeah liberals go figure

moonligh...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2016, 3:24:23 AM10/5/16
Wow this is a 20 year old post... I was 2 when this was written. I love MASH and was trying to get some inside info and stumbled upon this. Most of the people i know my age have never even heard of MASH. I cant imagine Gary being unpleasant in even the slightest bit.

carlfo...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2016, 7:44:39 PM12/6/16
On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 5:34:35 PM UTC-5, joem...@gmail.com wrote:
> Right-wing nut are you serious the Liberals destroyed this country the last 8 years and they will continue to do so Liberals are funny they preach how tolerant they are and how they respect human rights.. but if you really look all they care about is their agendas keeping the poor man down by giving them a check every month with no way out of his predicament and the worst part about them when they don't agree with you they don't stop with respecting your right to disagree they will do whatever it takes to bring you down or bend the law to suit them yeah liberals go figure

Is English your first language?

jmmjon...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2017, 12:13:18 AM1/26/17
From what Wiki says most of his Mash cast members thought little of him. He had a temper and could explode if anyone said much about him. Google him under age and bio. Mash regulars r in there too.

jmmjon...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2017, 12:13:18 AM1/26/17
Message has been deleted

Jerry Mungo

Feb 20, 2017, 6:20:57 PM2/20/17
Makes perfect sense.

micpe...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2017, 11:48:13 PM4/1/17
What does politics have to do with it. Wayne Rogers was a republican you liberal nut.

jetdo...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2017, 1:30:56 PM4/20/17
I always thought he was the dude on the original Bonnie and Clyde movie

carbo...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2017, 7:12:44 PM4/26/17
What a willfully ignorant statement regarding liberals. Your impression of liberals is your right but you are wrong. How would you like it if I said that all conservatives enjoy rape and sexual assault because the billionaire they put into office has a penchant for such things and the conservatives still put a monster into the White house?

obag...@hotmail.com

Apr 28, 2017, 10:26:50 PM4/28/17
On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 4:12:44 PM UTC-7, carbo...@gmail.com wrote:
> What a willfully ignorant statement regarding liberals. Your impression of liberals is your right but you are wrong. How would you like it if I said that all conservatives enjoy rape and sexual assault because the billionaire they put into office has a penchant for such things and the conservatives still put a monster into the White house?

What a willfully ignorant statement regarding Right Wingers. Your impression of the Rightwing is you'RE right, but you are wrong. How would you like it if I said that all Liberals enjoy Violation of Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Thought because the Black Millionaire they put into office last term has a penchant for such things and the Liberalss still put a monster into the White house? [....since you're too ignorant to realize the Right Winger was responding to a previous cmmnt slandering all Right Wingers.]

ncrdbl1

Apr 29, 2017, 1:17:35 PM4/29/17
On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 6:12:44 PM UTC-5, carbo...@gmail.com wrote:
> What a willfully ignorant statement regarding liberals. Your impression of liberals is your right but you are wrong. How would you like it if I said that all conservatives enjoy rape and sexual assault because the billionaire they put into office has a penchant for such things and the conservatives still put a monster into the White house?

I would not call anyone ignorant. You sound like the loons caught on video every week making remarks about things when they do not know a damn thing about that which they are commenting.

Trump has NEVER been charged with sexual assault and the ones who have accused him of anything have all taken back their statement when faced with having to swear under oath. Especially when they were exposed as being associated with the Clinton campaign. The so called victim which said he raped her when she was underage, claimed she filed her own paperwork, but the paper was clearly filled out by someone with legal background. The address she claimed to be living at turned out to be an empty house which has been under foreclosure ever since the elderly resident died three years ago.

Unlike William Jefferson Clinton which not only the accusers STILL claim he sexually assaulted her even after being under oath. He was also impeached for lying on a legal deposition about improper sexual relations. He was held in contempt of court for lying in the deposition and disbarred.

renee...@gmail.com

May 13, 2017, 2:57:57 AM5/13/17
Some people will take any chance to spew their politcal trash talk. The posting is about Gary Burghoff, not yor ridiculous political views. People never cease to amaze me with their tunnel vision, and inrealistic sense of entitlement. Too bad someone can't delete all the TOTALLY off topic, stupid posts.

21 years later! Back to Gary, and the wonderful Radar. Regardless of his personal misdeeds, or non-misdeeds, the charactor he played on Mash was wonderful! His personal life is none of my business!

Andy K.

May 13, 2017, 3:48:41 AM5/13/17
You're just wasting your keyboard here, some people will blindly take
any chance to blindly spew their ideology. I don't think he/she's even
reading this thread - life is too short, and there are too many other
threads and newsgroups to flood before his/her internal itch is at
least partly satisfied. :)

BR,
AndyK

renee...@gmail.com

May 13, 2017, 4:35:04 PM5/13/17

kjanto...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2017, 4:13:15 PM6/6/17
And Dimwald Trump is a big fat pig. Besides being the dumbest person to have ever held the office.
Hope you Repubs are proud. You own it.

scottw...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2017, 9:35:33 PM6/14/17

scottw...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2017, 9:35:52 PM6/14/17
In several TV talk show interviews many years following the conclusion of M*A*S*H, several of the lead performers of the series confided - each on different occasions - that the series regulars were actually somewhat glad to see Burghoff leave the show. There were continued stories of the actor missing rehearsals, consistently showing up on the set hours late at a time, and even failing to show at all. The actor's primary complaints, they claimed, was a failure to get additional screen time for his character, but whenever changes to scripts were made, he did not show up for filming.

dough...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2017, 2:45:10 AM7/11/17
On Tuesday, April 30, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Max Wallace wrote:
> I just discovered this newsgroup and I'm sure this subject has been
> discussed before here but, since I'm new, I'd appreciate somebody filling
> me in.
>
> For years, I've heard that Gary Burghoff was one of the most despised
> actors in Hollywood history by his fellow actors, including virtually all
> the cast members of the M*A*S*H movie and series.
>
> Nobody ever seems to give examples of what made Burghoff such a jerk. Does
> anybody know a good source?

The reason I even looked for this subject was that I've been watching the old game show MatchGame 73 and he was a regular on there. He sure seems like a jerk and an attention whore from what I've been seeing. He always looks jealous of Richard Dawson, and is always insulting to Brett Sommers when there was no reason to be. They show MatchGame on Buzzr if you can pick that up in your area. It comes in OTA. I'm sure you can find it.

l2h...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2017, 10:17:50 PM7/14/17
Wow this post went totally off topic. I just came here to read about Gary and now it's politics. Disappointing.

jdli...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2017, 10:04:04 AM7/16/17
On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 3:24:23 AM UTC-4, moonligh...@gmail.com wrote:
> Wow this is a 20 year old post... I was 2 when this was written. I love MASH and was trying to get some inside info and stumbled upon this. Most of the people i know my age have never even heard of MASH. I cant imagine Gary being unpleasant in even the slightest bit.

lol, when I saw it was 1996 that was trippy....regarding GB, just punch in his name and the word rude, you'll see what people mean...funny, but Larry Linville was the opposite of his character, a nice man apparently

jpmco...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2017, 12:20:10 AM7/30/17

The TV guide did a large write up on MASH in 1983 and in the article the writer asked all of the cast about Gary Burghoff. He said no one would would allow them to be quoted but to a man they said; Loved Radar, hated Gary. Larry Gelbart also said this in an interview you can find on youtube. Gary has had run ins with neighbors and other people as well. he can be abrasive. he said upon hearing that, he was upset that he never really realized it and said maybe he could have handled some things differently.

Alan Alda HATED director Jackie Cooper and it caused tension on the set. Cooper was brought in to direct episodes in seasons 1-7 I think, and Alda was extremely bitter. In his book Cooper explained his run in's with Alda which were mostly Alda ripping on Cooper and then walking away. Cooper did short video hello's from celebs to servicemen working in the NAVY to help with morale. Stephenson and Wayne Rogers did a short video and when he asked Alda to do one he said he would not do one because it would be encouraging the military actions to continue. Cooper then snapped, "would you do one for the enemy?" In the last few years, other than to fight, they never spoke to one another.

Alda could be aloof but most of the cast loved him especially Mike Farrell.

Gelbart insists he begged McClean Stevenson to stay but he wanted his own show. Stevenson had shows promised to him so Gelbart got him out of the last 2 years of his contract. He says with Mac leaving, he found a way to kill off his character to make it more dramatic and real because the show was slowly going to be more serious.

McClean had SEVERAL failed shows and the critics and fellow actors trashed him. The McClean Stevenson Show, In the Beginning, Hello Larry, and Condo. All were destroyed by critics and none lasted more than 1 1/2 seasons. He said in an interview, "I should have never left MASH. I thought they were enamored with McClean Stevenson but they were enamored with Henry Blake".

Larry Linville might be the most interesting and most loved of all the actors. he studied aeronautical engineering before becoming an actor. Gary Burghoff called him an amazing renaissance man.

He liked to party and Larry Gelbart said he wished he didn't drink and smoke so much. He was a very funloving guy who was married 5 times but only had one kid, a daughter.

One of his wives was Kate Geer who was the daughter of Will Geer who played Grandpa Walton in the Waltons.

Just watched some interviews and read some articles. thx

carsten...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2017, 7:53:55 PM8/9/17
I'm a trump supporter but this isn't the place for this. Topic is Burghoff..

bonnieleero...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2017, 11:05:44 AM8/30/17
Please stop all the slandering of a fine man and actor. Are any if you perfect. I'm sure not! Do any of us a right to judge a person we don't know, haven't met. I myself would consider it an honor to meet Mr. Burghoff and his family. I'm sure he is just as sweet in person as his character in Mash. He is also the only cast member who was also in the movie. And who could ever forget the joy he brought as Charlie Brown. Most respectfully, Bonnie

herpesan...@yahoo.com

Sep 5, 2017, 3:31:30 PM9/5/17
Bottom line about the show is that the first three years are among the funniest and most enduring series in television history. After that, it veered largely off-course from its original intent to make people laugh, and became a weekly sermon of sorts. The show (first a novel, then film) was based on real events endured by real volunteers and draftees - both likely unwilling, but all heeded the call and are simply American heroes, whether they wish to acknowledge it or not. (Now I'M preaching...apologies...)

My reason for signing in was to compliment Gary on his drumming, which he got to showcase on a couple of occasions on the show. I don't know if he still plays, but he was quite accomplished. Does anyone know if he ever considered a career as a musician instead of acting?

Andy K.

Sep 5, 2017, 6:16:56 PM9/5/17
On Tue, 5 Sep 2017 12:31:29 -0700 (PDT)
herpesan...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Bottom line about the show is that the first three years are among the funniest and most enduring series in television history. After that, it veered largely off-course from its original intent to make people laugh, and became a weekly sermon of sorts. The show (first a novel, then film) was based on real events endured by real volunteers and draftees - both likely unwilling, but all heeded the call and are simply American heroes, whether they wish to acknowledge it or not. (Now I'M preaching...apologies...)

I don't know, I had a lot of laughs from latter seasons as well.
Honestly, I did not even notice the preachiness until years later, when
I read people's opinions on this very newsgroups. I just remember
thinking "Hawkeye's wrong on this one" or so every now and then and
thought nothing more of it.

Focus on the good stuff in the show (of which there is plenty), not on
the bad stuff, you'll get more enjoyment out of it.

> My reason for signing in was to compliment Gary on his drumming, which he got to showcase on a couple of occasions on the show. I don't know if he still plays, but he was quite accomplished. Does anyone know if he ever considered a career as a musician instead of acting?

Yep, that drum solo during one of the early episodes is marvellous. I
also remember him playing enthusiastically in the bongo drum circle
during a beach party in some other episode. That was cool as
well.

--
AndyK

Andy K.

Sep 5, 2017, 6:16:57 PM9/5/17
herpesan...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Bottom line about the show is that the first three years are among the funniest and most enduring series in television history. After that, it veered largely off-course from its original intent to make people laugh, and became a weekly sermon of sorts. The show (first a novel, then film) was based on real events endured by real volunteers and draftees - both likely unwilling, but all heeded the call and are simply American heroes, whether they wish to acknowledge it or not. (Now I'M preaching...apologies...)

I don't know, I had a lot of laughs from latter seasons as well.
Honestly, I did not even notice the preachiness until years later, when
I read people's opinions on this very newsgroups. I just remember
thinking "Hawkeye's wrong on this one" or so every now and then and
thought nothing more of it.

Focus on the good stuff in the show (of which there is plenty), not on
the bad stuff, you'll get more enjoyment out of it.

> My reason for signing in was to compliment Gary on his drumming, which he got to showcase on a couple of occasions on the show. I don't know if he still plays, but he was quite accomplished. Does anyone know if he ever considered a career as a musician instead of acting?

Andre

Sep 5, 2017, 11:21:51 PM9/5/17
On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 6:16:56 PM UTC-4, Andy K. wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Sep 2017 12:31:29 -0700 (PDT)
> herpesan...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Bottom line about the show is that the first three years are among the funniest and most enduring series in television history. After that, it veered largely off-course from its original intent to make people laugh, and became a weekly sermon of sorts. The show (first a novel, then film) was based on real events endured by real volunteers and draftees - both likely unwilling, but all heeded the call and are simply American heroes, whether they wish to acknowledge it or not. (Now I'M preaching...apologies...)
>
> I don't know, I had a lot of laughs from latter seasons as well.
> Honestly, I did not even notice the preachiness until years later, when
> I read people's opinions on this very newsgroups. I just remember
> thinking "Hawkeye's wrong on this one" or so every now and then and
> thought nothing more of it.

Hawkeye and B.J. continuing to try and protect a North Korean spy even as she hatefully tells them she would gladly slit their throats does spring to mind...

davesnot...@hotmail.com

Oct 2, 2017, 6:58:22 PM10/2/17
On Tuesday, April 30, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Max Wallace wrote:
> I just discovered this newsgroup and I'm sure this subject has been
> discussed before here but, since I'm new, I'd appreciate somebody filling
> me in.
>
> For years, I've heard that Gary Burghoff was one of the most despised
> actors in Hollywood history by his fellow actors, including virtually all
> the cast members of the M*A*S*H movie and series.
>
> Nobody ever seems to give examples of what made Burghoff such a jerk. Does
> anybody know a good source?

All I can contribute is the following experience. Several years ago I was involved in a Boys and Girls club fundraiser. We wrote many celebrities to send autographed items to be auctioned off for the cause. Most sent nothing, some sent baseball cards and small items. Gary Burghoff sent us a beautiful artwork that he painted. He is a very talented artist. I don't know much else about him but that alone made him ok with me.

pwga...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2017, 10:57:44 AM10/11/17
On MATCH GAME he was THEE most annoying "star". I wished Richard would turn have turned around and said "sit down and shut the fuck up'.

d007m...@gmail.com

Nov 4, 2017, 7:41:15 PM11/4/17
He one of us, The Deplorables'

suzich...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2017, 2:39:19 AM11/29/17
Maybe he had little man syndrome 🙄

d...@danbowentv.com

Dec 24, 2017, 2:18:03 AM12/24/17
My father played Colonel Henry Blake in the movie M.A.S.H. and told me how difficult it was to work with and like Gary. One, little story: Gary was known to quietly “shuffle” his feet forward in an attempt to get closer to the camera and therefore become larger on screen. Ego I suppose.

d...@danbowentv.com

Dec 24, 2017, 2:29:12 AM12/24/17
My father played Colonel Henry Blake in the movie M.A.S.H. and told me how difficult it was to work with, and like Gary.
One, little story: Gary was known to quietly “shuffle” his feet forward in an attempt to get closer to the camera and therefore become larger on the big screen. Director, Robert Altman would litterly have to put him back in his place when he caught Gary doing this, but Gary would keep creeping further up during every take.

d...@danbowentv.com

Dec 24, 2017, 2:30:24 AM12/24/17
My father played Colonel Henry Blake in the movie M.A.S.H. and told me how difficult it was to work with, and like Gary.
One, little story: Gary was known to quietly “shuffle” his feet forward in an attempt to get closer to the camera and therefore become larger on the big screen. Director, Robert Altman would litterly have to put him back in his place when he caught Gary doing this, but Gary would keep creeping further up during every take. FAR FROM LOVED BY THE CAST TOO.

d...@danbowentv.com

Dec 24, 2017, 2:31:37 AM12/24/17

d...@danbowentv.com

Dec 24, 2017, 2:35:14 AM12/24/17

nancyf...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2018, 8:37:28 PM1/19/18
On Friday, May 3, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Mary Emily Cummins wrote:
> Ken Wagoner (teri...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> : >
> : >well he is a rightwing nut
> : >
> : Give us some information on this one. What defines a "rightwing nut"
> : in your opinion?
> : I'd love to hear the answer to this.
>
> Ha! I agree. Original poster, please respond.
>
> Emily
>
> --
>
> M. Emily Cummins, delegate to the D.C. Miscing Convention
>
> George Washington University | BA '95, Wake Forest University
> Political Science Department | "Dear Old Wake Forest,
> email: cum...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu | Thine is a Noble Name!"
>
> WAKE FOREST DEMON DEACONS, ACC CHAMPS 1995 and 1996!!!

in the metro Detroit area,it would describe a hockey player or a hockey fan.

twoeaglesna...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2018, 5:32:12 PM1/20/18

twoeaglesna...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2018, 5:42:43 PM1/20/18
Right Wing Nut ??????? I just happened to have the chance to meet Gary B today. He actually was in Ottumwa Iowa,(Radar O'Reily's fictional home town on Mash) at a gathering where our newly elected Republican Governor and her appointed Republican Lt. Governor, were addressing constituents. There ya go a bunch of Right Wing Nuts all in one place. He is a really nice guy, getting kinda old but still looks like Radar. Amazing how talking about a former actor can turn political in a heart beat, if the individual that spouts crap like Right Wing Nuts, spent half as much energy in attempting to actually make a change in this world, we wouldn't even have to have anyone calling others derogatory names,,, but then hey, Liberals are what they are and will always be exactly what they are,,,, a bunch of get nothing done loads on society !

dana.k...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2018, 2:36:49 PM1/24/18
I'm sorry all of you who are offended by some of us who are curious about the rumor that gary is an asshole just do not seem to understand. The juxtaposition of radar and an asshole gary having some merit is quite a shock to some of us. After i hear something like that i am curious to know the details of the truth of the matter. In this case there does seem to be some fire in amongst all the smoke and after reading and learning what i have, i'll never watch radar in mash the same way again (in spite of the fact that he is a fellow right wing nut).

tomg...@yahoo.com

Jan 30, 2018, 2:30:17 AM1/30/18
Punctuation, please

bobbiec...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2018, 7:38:39 PM2/19/18
You just spock the GODS STRUST ON THAT SUBJECT.

paulsmo...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2018, 1:58:35 AM3/3/18
I liked your dad in "Arnie". Funny guy.

rone4fa...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2018, 2:43:51 PM3/21/18
My wife and I met Gary in Crystal River I the RV Park he lives in .As we were asked by a neighbor not to call him Radar he hates that .The neighbor said Gary drives a old van and tends to the grounds.Well we found him he was a complete ASS.We just wanted to say hi and tell him how much we loved the show ,he jumped down our throats asked who we were and what did we want.At that time the park manager came out and Gary went away the manager apologised for Gary and asked if we would like to buy his book and if so he would get Gary to sign it.My answer was HELL NO .The manager said Gary is is on high demand to speak at benefits to raise money which Gary gets paid for.We said just wanted to say hi and that was all.

Andy K.

Mar 29, 2018, 4:42:40 PM3/29/18
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 11:36:48 -0800 (PST)
dana.k...@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm sorry all of you who are offended by some of us who are curious about the rumor that gary is an asshole just do not seem to understand. The juxtaposition of radar and an asshole gary having some merit is quite a shock to some of us. After i hear something like that i am curious to know the details of the truth of the matter. In this case there does seem to be some fire in amongst all the smoke and after reading and learning what i have, i'll never watch radar in mash the same way again (in spite of the fact that he is a fellow right wing nut).

I honestly do not care about what the actor behind the character is
like. He could be a puppy-torturing baby-eating sadistic narcissist
for all I care - if he's a good actor and did his job well, that's all
that matters to me as a viewer.

This obsession with celebrities' personal life is something I never
understood.

--
AndyK

Message has been deleted

mrdavidw...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2018, 5:40:16 PM4/9/18
That was michael j pollard they do resemble each other

rafferty...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2018, 9:35:07 PM4/9/18
I wash mash in Korea. Very funny, not true of people however. We do not act so stupids.

Real Korea guy

1935...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2018, 5:38:01 PM4/19/18
On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 6:20:57 PM UTC-5, Jerry Mungo wrote:
> On Sunday, May 5, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, MrQuixote wrote:
> > There isn't anyone reading this newsgroup who wouldn't come away from an
> > encounter with Gary feeling like s/he had just spent time with a sincere,
> > friendly guy who is a husband and father and just happens to have been an
> > actor in the best series ever on television.
> >
> > Gary has a 20 year old daughter, Gina, who is living in LA and against her
> > dad's advice (because he knows how tough it is) is trying to make it as an
> > actress. The two of them did a made for video movie last year titled
> > "Behind the Waterfall". It's produced by a company called "Feature Films
> > for Families." You can a copy at 800 347-2833. Gary and his wife have
> > two young sons, around ages 6 and 9, and lives in Northern California.
> >
> > As I posted a while back, Gary has been doing wildlife paintings which are
> > sold in a number of galleries around the country. If you want a catalog,
> > write to him care of General Delivery, Magalia CA 95954 and include a
> > large self addressed stamped envelope (78 cents postage should cover it).
> > Since he doesn't have a secretary, he's hard pressed to answer tons of fan
> > mail, so don't get bent out of shape if you don't get a quick, personal
> > response.
> >
> > Gary was burned out during his last couple of years on MASH. He
> > acknowledges that his behavior then wasn't the best. But how many of us
> > can look back on the way we were twenty years ago and say that we were
> > perfect and always great to be around. Growing up on TV is not the
> > easiest thing in the world to do. Frankly, it was tough being a Dad in
> > his thirties and running into fans who would seriously ask him where his
> > teddy bear was. It's the same sort of thing as Jamie Farr sitting in a
> > restaurant and some wise guy coming up holding his wife's earing and
> > asking Jamie if it was his. Those jokes get old very quickly, and when an
> > actor is trying to get in some quality time with his own kids and wife,
> > it's hard to keep putting on a happy face when confronted with that time
> > after time. They certainly recognize that they owe something to their
> > loyal fans, but there's a limit.
> >
> > I hope this satisfies everyone's curiosity about Gary. As Mike Farrell
> > said, he's a terrific actor. It would be nice if some network casting
> > type could look beyond "Radar" and realize that there are a lot of us who
> > would like to see him on tv again in a quality show.
>
> Makes perfect sense.

This is great and I totally agree with you.Mike Farrell is right. I loved all the cast in tvs Mash. I still watch the re-runs every night.

1935...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2018, 12:21:08 PM4/20/18

zepa...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2018, 5:11:58 PM4/28/18
On Friday, May 3, 1996 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Ken Wagoner wrote:
> In <4m9qi3$r...@jeeves.usfca.edu> bo...@ac.usfca.edu (Chris Borg) writes:
>

> >well he is a rightwing nut
> >

> Give us some information on this one. What defines a "rightwing nut"
> in your opinion?
>
> I'd love to hear the answer to this.
>
> Ken

WOW! If the dates are correct I'm here 22 yrs. after the question was posted. Hope all involved in the discussion are alive and well. Including Chris Borg. Who seems to have been too cowardly to respond to the request for him to elaborate on his comment. Still waiting for your response, Chrisy Girl.

dana.k...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2018, 2:38:11 PM4/29/18
Since my first comment was so difficult to follow because screwed up the editing. I thought to give it another go even if the effort is likely to yield the same result.
Firstly, obsession is not the idea I was trying to convey but i do appreciate your effort to put words in my mouth. I would even quibble with the word 'care' with its meaning you seem to imply.
Secondly, i tend to agree with you about personal lives of actors. However, i will say this;
TV was different forty years ago. There were fewer viewing choices. A larger percentage of people watched popular shows like mash. Therefore people around you were more likely to have watched the same shit you did the night before. This would tend to a shared group experience in places such as family and the workplace. Discussions on the subject could at times range into speculation about different aspects of that shared experience - even forty years later it would seem.
Last, I'm just not sure I can put it any more plainly than I did before. When I hear something that is completely out of character and totally opposite from my expectation - on any subject I have invested a good amount of my attention over the years - i am curious (different than obsessed or even 'care' beyond a certain mild interest) to discover the details. Like If my cat started to suddenly act with empathy for the poor sleepy ape who feeds him and decides NOT to roust me at five in the morning by jumping on my unsuspecting chest so I'll get out of bed and feed him some breakfast. The two things just would not seem to go together - which is a natural source of curiosity. To people like me it's worth the effort to ask a question or two (or take a look at my cat) in order to understand a change in my worldview.
I hope that clarifies the difference between the curious and the obsessed

cmad...@gmail.com

May 11, 2018, 5:23:57 PM5/11/18
Trump is guilty as sin regarding the accusations of sexual harassment, maybe not rape but still unwanted advances and paying people to keep quiet or retract their statements is easy for a billionaire. Read between the lines. Tbe man is an arrogant, narcissistic, chauvinistic, blow hard who deserves impeached.

emjay...@gmail.com

May 26, 2018, 10:48:58 AM5/26/18
FRANK BURNS IS ALIVE AND WELL AND LIVING HERE ONLINE!

johnnycat...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2018, 8:26:17 PM6/6/18
This post took 20 years to devolve into "Libtards" and "Cuntservatives". Impressive.

horseyg...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2018, 8:45:59 PM6/15/18
My parents met Gary several years ago at an airline function. He was nice to them and let them take pictures and gave an autograph for me. They said he was perfectly cordial, but that has no correlation to what he may have been like on the set of MASH.

texasph...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2018, 11:35:35 PM7/1/18
Best comment ever. And this is seriously the oldest thread I have ever seen on the internet...1996!!! Gary should be proud.

mom2w...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2018, 4:09:51 PM7/4/18
Larry Linville was a very warm & personable man. I had the good fortune of him sitting next to me at lunch at the Univ. Studios commissary. Our conversations were easy, not always the case when talking with a well-known actor. When ever I watch MASH I think of him fondly.

mom2w...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2018, 4:13:50 PM7/4/18
Easy. The viewing public loved Radar. As long as that was the case the studio/ network wanted him on the show. It meant higher ratings & therefore more $$$. And that's what show biz is all about.

mom2w...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2018, 4:22:36 PM7/4/18
Please do not equate an actor with any of the roles they portray. It's called "acting" for a reason. In 22 yrs in the entertainment industry I met a lot of actors. Some were nice, some not so much. & don't judge them by their so-called reputations. Steve McQueen was portrayed as a bastard but he was funny & very nice to me.

bobsca...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2018, 5:52:30 PM7/4/18
Yes, better to be Left wing, so you can protest, call gang members children and do nothing about North Korea and Iran.

johnnycat...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2018, 8:56:05 PM7/4/18
On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 5:52:30 PM UTC-4, bobsca...@gmail.com wrote:
> Yes, better to be Left wing, so you can protest, call gang members children and do nothing about North Korea and Iran.

awwww, poor baby. show us where the big mean liberal touched you.

laje...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2018, 2:28:35 PM7/14/18
Message has been deleted

national...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2018, 6:13:25 PM8/18/18
Chris Borg...

What kind of moron are you?

enis...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2018, 10:09:54 PM8/22/18
Wow😬
Old question - Gary was a great man off set - my dad worked on the show and here is his 5 cents

He did not like to work with him because GB felt he was superior due to being in the original movie .
Alan Alda HATED him as did Larry L. Gary by season 7 actively wanted to leave mash .burned out and also had serious marital issues .

Cheers

gabeava...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2018, 4:28:15 AM8/29/18
On Saturday, August 18, 2018 at 3:13:25 PM UTC-7, national...@gmail.com wrote:
> Chris Borg...
>
> What kind of moron are you?

lmao @ calling someone a moron for one line they wrote 22 years ago.
Message has been deleted

redski...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2018, 11:15:08 PM9/18/18
M*A*S*H having been 1 of my favorite shows for the last 46 years, I was very distressed & let down by these stories about Gary Burghoff being such a hemorrhoid. Recently I noticed in a rerun of Hawkeye's court-martial (#G-523) something that I had wondered at before but now don't: unlike when B. J. & Colonel Potter gave him congrats when the charges were dropped, when Radar stuck out his hand, Hawkeye's expression changed & his handshake was as brief as if King Dump itself had just been introduced. It made me wonder that maybe then Gary had been especially difficult about something, which caused Alda to not exactly conceal his irritation (It Was Written that they'd had the worst clashes). This impacted my enjoyment of Match Game reruns w/him, which hitherto had impressed me as Gary displaying a more wicked slant of humor than he ever could have as Radar. But to this poster who wasn't too thrilled w/Gary on MG, there was an episode I've never forgotten (but ain't yet seen on buzzr) which may give him satisfaction. Gary had to go as he was about to be a daddy (don't recall if #1 or another), & Richard was, called on to fill in. He had the whole audience there & doubtless across the country proned out busting their guts when he said of his "standby" status in that instant, " much as I did @ the conception!" The panel were in tears, Rayburn was nearly on the carpet & Gary even laughed heartily, but I wonder now if Dawson did get in 1 @ Gary's (considerable) expense as payback of some kind. It's unfortunate that this great program for 8 of its 11 seasons was beset w/such dramas among its cast, crew & the suits; it comes across as not a minor miracle they managed to turn out a program which, in the final accounting, is 1 of the truly great filmed productions in American history. Let us who love it continue thus, w/out reflecting much on its disappointing aspects; it was after all a product of its time, which was hardly imbued w/the kinds of enlightenment of later days - which ironically it helped to bring about. We cannot change what happened but we can still appreciate what was done & by whom, warts & all. "I know I will!"

keno...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2018, 8:32:31 PM10/8/18
On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 6:34:35 PM UTC-4, joem...@gmail.com wrote:
> Right-wing nut are you serious the Liberals destroyed this country the last 8 years and they will continue to do so Liberals are funny they preach how tolerant they are and how they respect human rights.. but if you really look all they care about is their agendas keeping the poor man down by giving them a check every month with no way out of his predicament and the worst part about them when they don't agree with you they don't stop with respecting your right to disagree they will do whatever it takes to bring you down or bend the law to suit them yeah liberals go figure

Yay, Joem!

keno...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2018, 8:44:53 PM10/8/18
On Sunday, December 24, 2017 at 2:29:12 AM UTC-5, d...@danbowentv.com wrote:
> My father played Colonel Henry Blake in the movie M.A.S.H. and told me how difficult it was to work with, and like Gary.
> One, little story: Gary was known to quietly “shuffle” his feet forward in an attempt to get closer to the camera and therefore become larger on the big screen. Director, Robert Altman would litterly have to put him back in his place when he caught Gary doing this, but Gary would keep creeping further up during every take.

Litterly???

keno...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2018, 8:46:46 PM10/8/18
So true!

So jealous that you got to meet him! LOL!

dread...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2019, 11:59:11 PM4/11/19
I heard long ago he was hard to work with

cleda...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2019, 8:13:14 PM4/16/19
Can't believe that I just read comments spanning over 20 years. All because I happened to catch a MASH episode featuring Radar's character and wondered about those old rumors And, yes, I remember being very disappointed with his behavior on the Match Game.

I never expected the political rantings. Makes me really miss those olden days when most Americans could discuss a TV show by talking about the actual show.

firebird...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2019, 4:31:28 AM7/9/19
I farted

nipc...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2019, 6:43:46 PM7/31/19
TRUMP 2020

rob.fairfieldi...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2019, 2:08:31 PM12/7/19
I met Gary at the Thom Thumb on Key Largo. He was buying a honey bun and a pint of milk. He told me to get the same because it was good for me. We talked for hours about his work on MASH. He was a very nice man.

rob.fairfieldi...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2019, 2:14:53 PM12/7/19
I was just wondering how your pussy tastes?

rob.fairfieldi...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2019, 2:18:24 PM12/7/19
Sometimes he eats the pussies of mash groupies who see him out. I hear he pretends to be radar when he’s slurping away.
It is loading more messages.