MASH-Hogan's Heroes connections-how many?

Matt Wiser

Jun 6, 2011, 1:47:48 AM6/6/11
Gents, I was watching some Hogan's Heroes on DVD (checked out from my local
library), and noticed Gene Reynolds had directed a number of episodes. And
William Christopher appeared in at least two episodes in Season 3 of Hogan.
Are there any other connections (actors, writers, etc.)?

Brian

Jun 6, 2011, 3:51:00 AM6/6/11

Wasn't the British commander from the episode where the British guys read
the letters from home in MASH also Col. Crittendon, the guy who wanted to
plant flowers along the RAF runways. I am pretty certain it is Bernard
Fox.

Brian Christiansen

Stormin Mormon

Jun 6, 2011, 8:26:41 AM6/6/11
Can't remember the actor's name. But he was the one who told
Hawkeye that the fellows expected him to behave as he did
(sternly with the wounded fellows).

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Brian" <brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Jun 6, 2011, 8:37:16 AM6/6/11
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058812/usercomments?start=20
Mulcahy gets metioned here. Bunch of reviews of HH, which
are fun to read.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Matt Wiser" <MattWi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

MarkO

Jun 6, 2011, 11:42:18 AM6/6/11
..Larry Gelbart would be riled, but I always felt that there was a
great deal of similarity between the first 3 seasons of MASH, and
Hogan's Heroes. Now, before anyone jumps to conclusions, I'm talking
specifically about the humor style, pacing and production values (the
quality "look" of the show). Gelbart flipped when I first posted
this, and may he forgive me, now.

George

Jun 6, 2011, 7:42:36 PM6/6/11

"MarkO" <mar...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Col Klink: "MarkOOOOO.........DISMISSED!!!!" *hmph*

Stormin Mormon

Jun 7, 2011, 8:17:12 AM6/7/11
He's probably in Heaven, pulling on the "bad weather over
USA" lever cause you wrote that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon

Jun 7, 2011, 8:18:48 AM6/7/11
"Ve haff vays to make you stop talking!"

--
Maj. Hochstetter
Learn more about Nazis

.

"George" <ge...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

MarkO

Jun 7, 2011, 11:39:02 AM6/7/11
...due to the responses to my response, I have no choice but to say
(type), "I know NNNNNNOTHING!!!"

ncrdbl1

Jun 7, 2011, 5:53:27 PM6/7/11
This subject has been taboo in this group for many a years but there
is no denying there are some connections. At least a dozen or more
actors played on both shows.No telling how may of the crews and behind
teh ascenes personel were on both shows and you had similar ep[isode
names and similar episodes. ie both had episode where they had to
disarm a live boimb dropped in the middle of teh compund in an air
raid. I know at least two MASH regulars were on HH.

Eddie

Jun 8, 2011, 1:46:29 PM6/8/11

"ncrdbl1" <mphsr...@aol.com> wrote in message

Agreed. The connections are there, and there are several as you pointed out.
When LG expressed his dislike of HH, the subject was dropped.

cu...@earthlink.net

Jun 12, 2011, 1:55:19 AM6/12/11

Roy Goldman and Dennis Troy were both involved with Hogan's Heroes. Gene
Reynolds requested they join him on MASH.

Roy used to tell somewhat unbelievable stories about Bob Crane and his
massive porn collection/addiction. Apparently, the stories were all true
and, sadly, led to Mr. Crane's demise. No judgements here, just
reporting the facts.

jm

Tim J.

Jun 13, 2011, 2:02:18 AM6/13/11

In addition to the ones already mentioned:

John Orchard
James B. Sikking
Johnny Haymer
Laurence Marks

Stormin Mormon

Jun 13, 2011, 8:27:16 AM6/13/11
I've seen other connections, and sometimes spin offs.
Thinking of Andy Griffith show, which spun off Gomer Pyle,
USMC.

The LDS church leaders have spoken many times in the last
years, that pornography is evil, and damages those who it
affect. It is a serious problem in the world, and is a moral
issue. Wish more people were judgemental, that's one of the
ways people help others to stay safe. The "everything is OK,
it's your reality" position enables evil, and sin.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

<cu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

MarkO

Jun 13, 2011, 3:29:42 PM6/13/11
On Jun 12, 1:55 am, cu...@earthlink.net wrote:

> Roy used to tell somewhat unbelievable stories about Bob Crane and his
> massive porn collection/addiction. Apparently, the stories were all true

> and, sadly, led to Mr. Crane's demise.> jm

...What's even more sad, is that, apparently, Crane was in the process
of turning his life around (according to his pastor on a biography).
But what is shocking, is that it seems like only yesterday I heard of
his demise. Man, the guy would be like 83, now (and there's nothing
wrong with 83, it's just these people get stuck in a time capsule,
being seen on TV, again, and again, all from years ago.

George

Jun 13, 2011, 8:29:23 PM6/13/11

<cu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Another awesome insight by Jeff. It's feeling like the old days in this
group.

Stormin Mormon

Jun 13, 2011, 10:04:48 PM6/13/11
It occurs to me, to see if there is a Hogans Heroes
group.... there is.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"George" <ge...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Jun 13, 2011, 10:06:54 PM6/13/11
Wonder what the folks from Hogans would have thought?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon

Jun 13, 2011, 10:06:17 PM6/13/11
I remember that Hogan didn't much like Crittendon. Hawkeye,
either.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon

Jun 13, 2011, 10:07:42 PM6/13/11
William Christopher, I think he was on HH also?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ncrdbl1" <mphsr...@aol.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

fhgenter...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2013, 12:18:44 AM3/11/13
I was looking for more myself and was hoping for a more comprehensive list.

What I have so far is:
William Christopher (various roles on HH), John Orchard (Ugly John and also later Muldoon, as a British commando), Johnny Haymer (Zale, as a general), Roy Goldman (very little dialogue but often a background character), Robert Hogan (Smilin' Jack, ), Jack Riley (Kaplan the dentist, in various roles like Christopher), Bernard Fox (Crittendon in Hogan's, as a British officer in Tea and Empathy in MASH).

There were also some behind the scenes folks involved, including key people.

Found this on another site:

forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79

Will Dockery

Jul 20, 2014, 4:31:21 AM7/20/14

<fhgenter...@gmail.com> wrote in message
And one of the writers for Hogan's Heroes wrote quite a few early M*A*S*H
episodes, I don't remember his name just now, though?

Tim J.

Jul 30, 2014, 1:27:52 AM7/30/14
On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 04:31:21 -0400, "Will Dockery"
<will.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

>And one of the writers for Hogan's Heroes wrote quite a few early M*A*S*H
>episodes, I don't remember his name just now, though?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Marks_%28American_writer%29

Will Dockery

Aug 18, 2014, 8:45:07 AM8/18/14
On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:27:52 AM UTC-4, Tim J. wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 04:31:21 -0400, "Will Dockery" wrote:
>
> >And one of the writers for Hogan's Heroes wrote quite a few early M*A*S*H
> >episodes, I don't remember his name just now, though?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Marks_%28American_writer%29

Thanks, Tim!

Stormin Mormon

Aug 18, 2014, 6:59:35 PM8/18/14
I remember a lot of the shows in the sixties and seventies,
had actors from each others show. I remember some folks
like William Christopher showed on Gomer Pyle, I think.
And Dr. from Little House on the Prarie showed on MASH
as the red haired MP.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

haasem...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2016, 1:46:15 AM8/2/16
William Christopher also played the "new doctor" in The Andy Griffith Show. Only one episode though, as the original actor returned in later episodes.

He may have appeared in other roles on the show, but this is the only one I remember.

yerbo...@gmail.com

May 13, 2019, 9:11:44 PM5/13/19
On Monday, June 6, 2011 at 12:47:48 AM UTC-5, Matt Wiser wrote:
> Gents, I was watching some Hogan's Heroes on DVD (checked out from my local
> library), and noticed Gene Reynolds had directed a number of episodes. And
> William Christopher appeared in at least two episodes in Season 3 of Hogan.
> Are there any other connections (actors, writers, etc.)?

I'm reading this thread years later and a similar thread on a MASH website.

One actress mentioned on either site / thread is Sivi Adberg. Her looks changed a little over the 5-6 years, but she played a love interest of LeBeau and they sneak her out of a building dressed as a little old lady with an ear horn. In MASH she was a nurse in the episode where the bigot deoesn't want black blood.