Black $100 Liberty Coin

David Amicus

Jan 13, 2017, 7:28:39 PM1/13/17
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/13/us/lady-liberty-coin-trnd/

Instead of "In God We Trust" it ought to say "In Obama We Trust".

Martin Edwards

Jan 14, 2017, 2:45:09 AM1/14/17
On 1/14/2017 12:28 AM, David Amicus wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/13/us/lady-liberty-coin-trnd/
>

> Instead of "In God We Trust" it ought to say "In Obama We Trust".

Frankly, I am at a loss. Can anyone explain this for me?

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally. History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember. -Albert Goldman

the...@bigmailbox.net

Jan 14, 2017, 4:10:26 AM1/14/17
On Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 2:45:09 AM UTC-5, Martin Edwards wrote:
> On 1/14/2017 12:28 AM, David Amicus wrote:
> > http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/13/us/lady-liberty-coin-trnd/
> >

> > Instead of "In God We Trust" it ought to say "In Obama We Trust".
> >
> Frankly, I am at a loss. Can anyone explain this for me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de1vyikBnsg

David Amicus

Jan 14, 2017, 1:36:12 PM1/14/17
Remember when Obama was called "our lord and savior"? Many believe that only the deity ought to be called that. So rather than "In God We Trust" because the image of Liberty portrayed is that a black person and the inscription should be "In Obama We Trust".

David Johnston

Jan 14, 2017, 1:46:51 PM1/14/17
On 1/14/2017 11:36 AM, David Amicus wrote:
> On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 11:45:09 PM UTC-8, Martin Edwards wrote:
>> On 1/14/2017 12:28 AM, David Amicus wrote:
>>> http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/13/us/lady-liberty-coin-trnd/
>>>

>>> Instead of "In God We Trust" it ought to say "In Obama We Trust".
>>>
>> Frankly, I am at a loss. Can anyone explain this for me?
>>
>> --
>> Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally. History is what we must
>> painfully learn and struggle to remember. -Albert Goldman
>
> Remember when Obama was called "our lord and savior"? Many believe that only the deity ought to be called that.

And it was the first time in history that a comedian had EVER been
sacrilegious when telling a joke!

jack

Jan 14, 2017, 2:02:35 PM1/14/17
And guess what: more non-white Liberties are on their way!

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/01/13/us/politics/ap-us-liberty-coin.html?_r=0

David Amicus

Jan 14, 2017, 2:20:13 PM1/14/17
The Hispanic woman that I'd like to see on the $100 gold coin is Queen Isabella of Spain.

She was on a US coin before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_quarter

Queen Isabella is my favorite (non saint) woman in history.

David Amicus

Jan 14, 2017, 8:39:51 PM1/14/17
Though many Mexicans today hate her Malinche is one of my heroines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Malinche

There's a Mexican restaurant in town I used to frequent. The owner is a devout Catholic. On the front window is a large picture of an Aztec pyramid. I once told him that he should replace it with an image of la Virgen de Guadalupe. Afterall the Aztecs practiced human sacrifice.

David Johnston

Jan 14, 2017, 8:46:52 PM1/14/17
And he doubtless thought that would be as stupid as renaming Washington
because it was named after a slaveowner.

the...@bigmailbox.net

Jan 15, 2017, 3:08:57 AM1/15/17
On Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 8:39:51 PM UTC-5, David Amicus wrote:
> Though many Mexicans today hate her Malinche is one of my heroines.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Malinche

I'll just leave this here:
"...was a Nahua woman from the Mexican Gulf Coast, who played a role in the Spanish conquest of the Aztec Empire, acting as an interpreter, advisor, lover, and intermediary for the Spanish conquistador, Hernán Cortés. She was one of 20 women slaves given to the Spaniards by the natives of Tabasco in 1519. Later, she became a mistress to Cortés and gave birth to his first son, Martín, who is considered one of the first Mestizos..."

> There's a Mexican restaurant in town I used to frequent. The owner is a devout Catholic. On the front window is a large picture of an Aztec pyramid. I once told him that he should replace it with an image of la Virgen de Guadalupe. Afterall the Aztecs practiced human sacrifice.

I've been to an Indian restaurant that was owned by muslims but they had a statue of Ganesha. It's all about what sells.

Martin Edwards

Jan 15, 2017, 4:00:33 AM1/15/17
No, I don't remember that, maybe it wasn't reported here.

Martin Edwards

Jan 15, 2017, 4:03:33 AM1/15/17
As for the clip referenced above, how many adverts would I have to sit
through first?

Martin Edwards

Jan 15, 2017, 4:04:20 AM1/15/17
She is said to have invented the comfy chair.

Martin Edwards

Jan 15, 2017, 4:07:15 AM1/15/17
It has changed recently, but for a long time all the "Indian"
restaurants in the UK were run by people from East Pakistan, later
Bangladesh. They were nearly all men, many of whom had never even been
in a kitchen at home.

David Amicus

Jan 15, 2017, 2:19:42 PM1/15/17
In the local Hindu mandir (temple) they have pictures of Jesus and the Sikh Guru Nanak.

the...@bigmailbox.net

Jan 15, 2017, 4:54:18 PM1/15/17
On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 4:03:33 AM UTC-5, Martin Edwards wrote:
> On 1/14/2017 6:46 PM, David Johnston wrote:

> >> Remember when Obama was called "our lord and savior"? Many believe
> >> that only the deity ought to be called that.
> >
> > And it was the first time in history that a comedian had EVER been
> > sacrilegious when telling a joke!
> >

> As for the clip referenced above, how many adverts would I have to sit
> through first?

I don't know and usually you can skip them. But the link is to an advertisement.

the...@bigmailbox.net

Jan 15, 2017, 5:00:46 PM1/15/17
"It is for their punctuality and not for any superiority in technique that men cooks are preferred to women." -- George Orwell Down and Out in Paris and London 1933

Martin Edwards

Jan 16, 2017, 2:31:24 AM1/16/17
Hindus just believe that it is their religion, not that it is the true
religion. Though Hinduism in practice is not a paragon of tolerance, in
theory it does believe that there is truth in all religions.

the...@bigmailbox.net

Jan 16, 2017, 11:17:50 AM1/16/17
How does Hinduism deal with self-referential self-contradictory notions?

jack

Jan 16, 2017, 2:35:13 PM1/16/17
In theory, as I understand it, (generally polytheistic) religions that believe in reincarnation are tolerant of monotheistic believers. You know, you just keep coming back until you get it right, and if you are a good Christian/Muslim/Jew, you build up some good karma along the way. The reality of course is that some 'good' Hindus and Buddhists have no problem violently discriminating against the monos. See the situation of the Muslims in coastal Thailand near the Bengali border, or in another frame, the story of the kid in Slumdog Millionaire.

Martin Edwards

Jan 18, 2017, 2:33:27 AM1/18/17
Yes.