Question For Anyone Who Knows Jewish Lore

David Amicus

Sep 19, 2015, 10:39:46 PM9/19/15
Tonight I watched the movie "Exodus:Gods and Kings" and am wondering why God was shown as a young boy?

David Johnston

Sep 19, 2015, 11:20:55 PM9/19/15
On 9/19/2015 8:39 PM, David Amicus wrote:
> Tonight I watched the movie "Exodus:Gods and Kings" and am wondering why God was shown as a young boy?

He wasn't. The character's name is "Malakh". That's actually just the
word for "messenger" in Hebrew. If he was speaking Greek instead of
Hebrew, his name would have been "Angelos"

David Amicus

Sep 19, 2015, 11:27:38 PM9/19/15
Okay, thanks! He was an angel. Much appreciated!

David Amicus

Sep 19, 2015, 11:34:07 PM9/19/15

Martin Edwards

Sep 20, 2015, 2:27:29 AM9/20/15
On 9/20/2015 4:34 AM, David Amicus wrote:
> I was not the only one who thought the boy was God
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/29/movies/exodus-gods-and-kings-portrays-the-deity-as-a-boy.html?_r=0

Another thing. If Moses was brought up as an Egyptian, how did he find
out later that he had a brother and a sister?

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally. History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember. -Albert Goldman

David Amicus

Sep 20, 2015, 12:28:04 PM9/20/15
He did not know about them but they kept track of him as he was raised in the Royal Family. Then when his mission began they became reconnected.

I was disappointed with the parting of the sea. They were supposed to cross on dry land.

Martin Edwards

Sep 21, 2015, 2:27:44 AM9/21/15
On 9/20/2015 5:28 PM, David Amicus wrote:
> He did not know about them but they kept track of him as he was raised in the Royal Family.

That isn't in the Bible. Presumably the Roman Bishopric thought that
one up.

the...@bigmailbox.net

Sep 21, 2015, 3:37:15 AM9/21/15
On Monday, September 21, 2015 at 2:27:44 AM UTC-4, Martin Edwards wrote:
> On 9/20/2015 5:28 PM, David Amicus wrote:
> > He did not know about them but they kept track of him as he was raised in the Royal Family.
>
> That isn't in the Bible. Presumably the Roman Bishopric thought that
> one up.

After he was found in the reeds by the princess, Moses' sister, Miriam, suggests that the baby needs a nurse and offered their mother as a candidate. Thus was Moses raised to know his own family.

Martin Edwards

Sep 23, 2015, 2:34:13 AM9/23/15
Chapter and verse?

David Amicus

Sep 23, 2015, 12:14:49 PM9/23/15
Here is info that might help. It gives Scriptural references

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam

Martin Edwards

Sep 24, 2015, 2:34:06 AM9/24/15
None of which answers my question.

the...@bigmailbox.net

Sep 24, 2015, 10:21:06 AM9/24/15
On Thursday, September 24, 2015 at 2:34:06 AM UTC-4, Martin Edwards wrote:
> On 9/23/2015 5:14 PM, David Amicus wrote:

> >> Chapter and verse?
> >
> > Here is info that might help. It gives Scriptural references
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam
> >
> None of which answers my question.

But it is implied. You know, like Blessed are the Cheese Makers shouldn't be taken literally but probably applies to all makers of dairy products.

jack

Sep 24, 2015, 10:53:26 AM9/24/15
Chapter and Verse:
Everything else in the story we know are later accretions. Interesting though there existed a conspiracy of sorts between the Egyptian and Hebrew women to circumvent Pharaoh's command.

Exodus 2New International Version (NIV)
Chapter 1:
22 Then Pharaoh gave this order to all his people: "Every Hebrew boy that is born you must throw into the Nile, but let every girl live."

The Birth of Moses
Chapter 2:
1 Now a man of the tribe of Levi married a Levite woman, 2 and she became pregnant and gave birth to a son. When she saw that he was a fine child, she hid him for three months. 3 But when she could hide him no longer, she got a papyrus basket[a] for him and coated it with tar and pitch. Then she placed the child in it and put it among the reeds along the bank of the Nile. 4 His sister stood at a distance to see what would happen to him.

5 Then Pharaoh's daughter went down to the Nile to bathe, and her attendants were walking along the riverbank. She saw the basket among the reeds and sent her female slave to get it. 6 She opened it and saw the baby. He was crying, and she felt sorry for him. "This is one of the Hebrew babies," she said.

7 Then his sister asked Pharaoh's daughter, "Shall I go and get one of the Hebrew women to nurse the baby for you?"

8 "Yes, go," she answered. So the girl went and got the baby's mother. 9 Pharaoh's daughter said to her, "Take this baby and nurse him for me, and I will pay you." So the woman took the baby and nursed him. 10 When the child grew older, she took him to Pharaoh's daughter and he became her son. She named him Moses,[b] saying, "I drew him out of the water."
Moses Flees to Midian

11 One day, after Moses had grown up, he went out to where his own people were and watched them at their hard labor. He saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his own people. 12 Looking this way and that and seeing no one, he killed the Egyptian and hid him in the sand. 13 The next day he went out and saw two Hebrews fighting. He asked the one in the wrong, "Why are you hitting your fellow Hebrew?"

14 The man said, "Who made you ruler and judge over us? Are you thinking of killing me as you killed the Egyptian?" Then Moses was afraid and thought, "What I did must have become known."

15 When Pharaoh heard of this, he tried to kill Moses, but Moses fled from Pharaoh and went to live in Midian, where he sat down by a well. 16 Now a priest of Midian had seven daughters, and they came to draw water and fill the troughs to water their father's flock. 17 Some shepherds came along and drove them away, but Moses got up and came to their rescue and watered their flock.

18 When the girls returned to Reuel their father, he asked them, "Why have you returned so early today?"

19 They answered, "An Egyptian rescued us from the shepherds. He even drew water for us and watered the flock."

20 "And where is he?" Reuel asked his daughters. "Why did you leave him? Invite him to have something to eat."

21 Moses agreed to stay with the man, who gave his daughter Zipporah to Moses in marriage. 22 Zipporah gave birth to a son, and Moses named him Gershom,[c] saying, "I have become a foreigner in a foreign land."

23 During that long period, the king of Egypt died. The Israelites groaned in their slavery and cried out, and their cry for help because of their slavery went up to God. 24 God heard their groaning and he remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac and with Jacob. 25 So God looked on the Israelites and was concerned about them.
Footnotes:

Exodus 2:3 The Hebrew can also mean ark, as in Gen. 6:14.
Exodus 2:10 Moses sounds like the Hebrew for draw out.
Exodus 2:22 Gershom sounds like the Hebrew for a foreigner there.

New International Version (NIV)

Holy Bible, New International Version(R), NIV(R) Copyright (c)1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.(R) Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Martin Edwards

Sep 25, 2015, 2:32:13 AM9/25/15
Impressive. May I refer you to my original question?

jack

Sep 25, 2015, 10:10:08 AM9/25/15
That comes along a bit later and shows that the Exodus story must be a compilation of tales:
Chapter 4, v.14: "Then the Lord's anger burned against Moses and he said, "What about your brother, Aaron the Levite? I know he can speak well. He is already on his way to meet you, and he will be glad to see you. 15 You shall speak to him and put words in his mouth; I will help both of you speak and will teach you what to do. 16 He will speak to the people for you, and it will be as if he were your mouth and as if you were God to him. 17 But take this staff in your hand so you can perform the signs with it."

Bang, out of the middle of nowhere a brother appears. And it gets stranger. Moses gets his family together and sets off for Egypt. The OT god shows himself again to be quite vengeful and his vengeance seems to make a mockery of the story as we commonly know about it: "21: The Lord said to Moses, "When you return to Egypt, see that you perform before Pharaoh all the wonders I have given you the power to do. But I will harden his heart so that he will not let the people go. 22 Then say to Pharaoh, 'This is what the Lord says: Israel is my firstborn son, 23 and I told you, "Let my son go, so he may worship me." But you refused to let him go; so I will kill your firstborn son.'" So [the unnamed] Pharaoh [who also seems to be a different one from earlier] never really had a chance to be gracious.

And then the story takes this bizarre turn. v.24 "At a lodging place on the way, the Lord met Moses[b] and was about to kill him. 25 But Zipporah took a flint knife, cut off her son's foreskin and touched Moses' feet with it.[c] "Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me," she said. 26 So the Lord let him alone. (At that time she said "bridegroom of blood," referring to circumcision.)"
HUH???????
And suddenly Moses' mother gets a name. And you have to wonder, what's up with this god anyway? Some temple scribe had to have decided at some point in time to integrate different versions of the story. You'd have thought that somewhere along the time that Moses was talking to the burning bush that the god I Am would have mentioned something to the effect that Moses was not yet a true Hebrew.

the...@bigmailbox.net

Sep 25, 2015, 4:47:39 PM9/25/15
On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 10:10:08 AM UTC-4, jack wrote:
> And you have to wonder, what's up with this god anyway?

Especially when you consider that later on he forbids the chosen people to eat pork and shrimp. Would a loving god do that? I ask you?

David Amicus

Sep 25, 2015, 5:42:14 PM9/25/15
There's a tv series "The Goldebergs". I'm assuming they are Jewish. But in the recent episode the mother was making some shrimp recipe.

David Johnston

Sep 25, 2015, 6:00:21 PM9/25/15
And 82% of American Catholics say birth control is morally accetable.

David Amicus

Sep 25, 2015, 7:16:02 PM9/25/15
And 82% of American Catholics would be wrong. Since here in the USA people have the freedom to pick and choose their religion I would suggest that those who disagree with the Church's teachings find another church or religion that is more accommodating to their beliefs.

the...@bigmailbox.net

Sep 25, 2015, 11:13:41 PM9/25/15
They not only have the right to choose which religion they say they are a member of, they have a right to interpret that religion any way they choose.

Martin Edwards

Sep 26, 2015, 2:44:45 AM9/26/15
Good point, but does your own religion not worship Him?

Martin Edwards

Sep 26, 2015, 2:46:17 AM9/26/15
I once knew a Jew who, though he was religious, had relatives who would
not visit because he did not have separate crockery for meat and dairy.

Martin Edwards

Sep 26, 2015, 2:46:48 AM9/26/15
As for divorce, I don't know about there, but here it is hardly an issue.

Martin Edwards

Sep 26, 2015, 2:47:36 AM9/26/15
Me too, that must be a first.

David Amicus

Sep 26, 2015, 10:26:43 AM9/26/15
No they don't. Every organization has rules and regulations that need to be followed. Else there is chaos. One can not be a vegetarian and eat meat etc..

David Johnston

Sep 26, 2015, 11:54:20 AM9/26/15
Amusingly, you just argued in favour of protestantism.

the...@bigmailbox.net

Sep 26, 2015, 12:22:44 PM9/26/15
On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 2:46:17 AM UTC-4, Martin Edwards wrote:
> On 9/25/2015 10:42 PM, David Amicus wrote:
> >>
> >> Especially when you consider that later on he forbids the chosen people to eat pork and shrimp. Would a loving god do that? I ask you?
> >
> > There's a tv series "The Goldebergs". I'm assuming they are Jewish. But in the recent episode the mother was making some shrimp recipe.
> >
> I once knew a Jew who, though he was religious, had relatives who would
> not visit because he did not have separate crockery for meat and dairy.

And I'm sure the relatives had relatives who wouldn't visit them because reasons.

the...@bigmailbox.net

Sep 26, 2015, 12:23:29 PM9/26/15
On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 2:44:45 AM UTC-4, Martin Edwards wrote:
> On 9/25/2015 9:47 PM, the...@bigmailbox.net wrote:
> > On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 10:10:08 AM UTC-4, jack wrote:
> >> And you have to wonder, what's up with this god anyway?
> >
> > Especially when you consider that later on he forbids the chosen people to eat pork and shrimp. Would a loving god do that? I ask you?
> >
> Good point, but does your own religion not worship Him?

Loki says that if I don't eat pork and shrimp the joke is on me.

the...@bigmailbox.net

Sep 26, 2015, 12:27:52 PM9/26/15
We have a First Amendment in this country, so yes, they do.

> One can not be a vegetarian and eat meat etc..

I've known people who claimed to be vegetarian who ate eggs, cheese, milk, and one guy who claimed to be a veggie and ate meat. I think it was confusing, but he has a right to claim whatever he wants.

BTW, congrats. Kim Davis converted. She's now a Republican.

What's wrong with a little chaos?