Loving Lucy Convention

Breck

Mar 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/9/98

Below is a write-up I found on the 1996 Loving Lucy convention (the first
one ever held), for those of you who are interested in knowing what one is
like. (Sorry, I didn't come across a similar write-up on the '97
convention.) If you would like to see the illustrations that go along with
this article, go to the following web page:
http://members.aol.com/lucybook/LL96.html

Loving Lucy '96:

Lucy Comes to Burbank

  <Picture>

LOVING LUCY ' 96, the first annual convention of Lucy fans, turned out to
be one of those "once in a lifetime" events, special to attendees and
planners alike. Not that there won't be more -- Loving Lucy '97 is already
being planned -- but the first time one does anything is often memorable --
sometimes for good reasons, sometimes for bad -- and our memories of "LL96"
are all wonderful! It was a convention for Lucy fans, by Lucy fans. There
were no hidden agendas; everyone was there to celebrate Lucy and have a
good time.

The convention was held the weekend of July 19, 20 and 21, 1996, and
headquartered at the Burbank Airport Hilton and Convention Center. Who
attended? All walks of life. We had 5 year-olds and 75 year-olds, and
everything in between. There were families and single folks; males and
females; straights and gays; literally all "races, creeds and colors."
(Such was the scope of Lucy's popularity.)

 Friday Afternoon: The Lucy Lovers Arrive

FRIDAY HELD MANY SURPRISES. Even though the first scheduled event of the
day was an evening screening at the Television Academy Plaza Theatre,
attendees began congregating at the Burbank Hilton at noon for
registration. Everyone was so excited just to be there that no one wanted
to leave. By 3PM a couple hundred Lucy lovers were crowded around the
lobby, meeting each other and trading favorite memories.

Roz and Marilyn Borden ("Teensy and Weensy") had been in town for a couple
of days for rehearsals and to visit some old friends. When they happened
into the lobby, a huge round of applause erupted. The ladies made
themselves at home and happily signed autographs and posed for pictures.

The news media stopped in and interviewed fans and celebrities alike. The
reporters could sense that something special was happening, and stories
were rapidly prepared for the evening television news, local radio
stations, and the print media (both local and national). A reporter from
the Chicago Tribune called for press credentials, as did CBS Morning News
and the Associated Press. Activities involving Lucille Ball -- even 7 years
after her death -- still minted headlines.

Thanks to non-stop news coverage, attendance ballooned from an expected
500-600 pre-registered guests to a whopping 1200-1500!

An Evening at the Television Academy

<Picture>

 FRIDAY'S SCREENING AT THE ACADEMY was divided into two two-hour segments.
The first was a series of film and tape clips, produced and edited by Stu
Shostak, recalling Lucy's TV career. Sketches starring Lucy, Desi Arnaz,
Vivian Vance, and William Frawley that were originally presented on a CBS
special, Stars in the Eye and on Ed Sullivan's Toast of the Town reminded
us all again of just how wonderful that foursome was together.

<Picture>A second group of clips took the viewer behind the scenes at The
Lucy Show and Here's Lucy, providing a rare look at the Redhead at work.
Footage shot on the Desilu/Paramount soundstage showed Lucy in rehearsals
with such guest stars as Sammy Davis, Jr., Jack Benny, and Richard
Burton/Elizabeth Taylor, as well as regular cast members Gale Gordon,
Vivian Vance, Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz, Jr. Also included were (often
hilarious) out-takes -- or bloopers -- illustrating the little mishaps that
go into the production of any TV show.

Closing the first half of the evening were clips recalling Lucy's work in
musical variety specials -- including an elaborate song-and-dance routine
from a 1976 Shirley MacLaine special, Gypsy in My Soul.

The second half of the evening was devoted to a special screening of Lucy
and Bob Hope's 1960 motion picture, The Facts of Life. Not seen anywhere
for many years, this film had recently been acquired by MGM, Inc. for
future distribution on home video. For this special "Loving Lucy '96"
presentation, the studio provided a sparkling, brand-new 35mm print.

Special guests attending the Friday screenings included writers Bob Carroll
Jr. and Madelyn Davis, director Herb Kenwith, and performers Roz and
Marilyn Borden, Larry Anderson, Suzanne La Rusch, and Adrian Israel
Flowers.

 Lucy Memorabilia Madness

<Picture>

SATURDAY'S EVENTS were all headquartered at the Burbank Airport Hilton's
Convention Center, a self-contained building that had been subdivided into
separate meeting rooms to hold concurrent activities. Visible throughout
was the masterful touch of artist/decorator Rick Carl, who had "bedecked"
the halls and many of the rooms with original artwork, movie posters,
magazine cover art, and huge photo "blow-ups." Local collector Neil Bakke,
owner of the famous full-length painting of Lucy-as-Mame Dennis (used as a
set piece in the 1974 film), graciously loaned it to the convention
committee for a display piece. Collector Ric Wyman brought two display
cases' worth of rare Lucy collectibles and positioned them at one end of
the main hall. In short, it was impossible to stand in the convention
center and not have an image of Lucille Ball in one's line of vision.

Memorabilia dealers were set up for business in one of the meeting rooms
and up-and-down the building's spacious hallways. Being sold was everything
from classic (i.e., original 1940s, '50s, and '60s) memorabilia to "the new
stuff." Holding court in the center lobby was Cathy Kelley (of Cathy's
Closet) and her husband who were attending from Texas. Originally Cathy did
not know if she was going to make the trip or not -- after all, who knew if
this first stab at a convention would be successful? They arrived with a
medium-sized shipment of merchandise from their stores -- and wound up two
of the busiest people at the event. The Kelleys sold everything that was
not nailed down, took "advance orders" on even more -- and did not even
have time for a midday sandwich break.

Situated across the hall from Cathy was Preston Willingham of the Vandor
Company, who was autographing the new porcelain pieces he had just
designed: tea-pots, clocks, coffee mugs, salt-and-pepper shakers, etc. Down
the aisle was author Michael McClay, autographing copies of his I Love Lucy
photo book (from Warner Books). Around the corner was a representative of
Desilu, too, presenting an advance look at the new Lucy-Desi CD ROM
(featuring materials from Lucy and Desi's personal scrapbooks).

Plates, dolls, movie stills, comic books, magazines -- you name it -- were
all on sale at one table or another.

 Celebrity Panels & Screenings

<Picture>

I Love Lucy writers Bob Weiskopf, Bob Schiller, Madelyn Pugh Davis, and Bob
Carroll, Jr.

<Picture>

Mary Jane Croft, Doris Singleton, and Shirley Mitchell pose with Lucy fan
Michael Stern

INSIDE THE CONVENTION HALL were two celebrity panels. The first, a
late-morning session, showcased writers Bob Carroll, Madelyn Davis, Bob
Schiller and Bob Weiskopf, and film editor Dann Cahn. All reminisced with
moderator Tom Gilbert about their experiences with I Love Lucy.

After a short lunch break, a second panel convened, this one featuring
actors and actresses who had worked with the Redhead: Mary Jane Croft,
Doris (Carolyn Appleby) Singleton, Shirley (Marion Strong) Mitchell, Keith
(Little Ricky) Thibodeaux, and Jim (Jerry Carmichael) Garrett. Larry
Anderson (who portrayed Ted McGibbon on Life with Lucy) moderated.

Both sessions included approximately 60 minutes of prepared questions,
followed by 30 minutes of questions from the audience. All ten of the
panelists recalled the joy and enthusiasm that Lucy always brought to her
work, an enthusiasm that spread throughout the company and challenged
everyone to do his best.

<Picture>Both panels received standing ovations at the beginning and end of
the respective sessions. The applause for Mary Jane Croft was so loud one
could hardly hear Anderson announce her name. The lady seldom makes
appearances such as this, and was overwhelmed by the crowd's obvious
affection for her and her work.

Running concurrent with the panels were day-long screenings of various
Lucille Ball television programs, some of which had been out-of-circulation
for some time. Included in the line-up were the very first episodes of I
Love Lucy, The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy -- and the last episode of Life
with Lucy (allowing viewers to see both the first and last time the great
lady portrayed her favorite TV character). Also thrown into the mix, among
others, was "K.O. Kitty" (a 1958 performance on the Westinghouse Desilu
Playhouse), "Lucy in London," a 1966 special, and "Lucy Meets the Burtons"
(episode of Here's Lucy).

 The Lucille Ball Auction

AT 4PM THE ATTENTION SHIFTED to the sold-out, standing-room-only auction
block where the Jamestown, NY-based Arts Council of Chautauqua County
hosted the third (and final) sale of artifacts once owned by Lucille Ball.
Included this year were gowns, hats, shoes, accessories, photographs, a
gold watch, even a glass paperweight.

Nothing "went cheap." One coral gown sold for $2800! A fox-trimmed coat
brought $700; the watch -- an engraved gift from Gary Morton -- sold for
$1600; a black ice bucket, $1500; a turquoise Navajo ring, $400; a large
framed photograph (of Lucy, circa 1940s), $1550; a black-and-gold patent
leather handbag, $2200. One enterprising soul even drove over to Lucy's
former residence on Roxbury Drive, picked a few lemons, and auctioned them
for $25 each. The entire auction inventory was sold for an estimated
$60,000 -- all of which went to me Lucy-Desi Museum in Jamestown.

 Saturday Night: Lucy & Ricky at the Tropicana!<Picture>

<Picture>

SATURDAY NIGHT WAS Dinner Show time for conventioneers. During the auction,
little "Loving Lucy '96" elves had transformed the main hall (used earlier
for the panels) into a Burbank version of Ricky Ricardo's Tropicana
Nightclub. (Most of the audio and lighting equipment for the room was
rented from a man who started in show business as a CBS "page" -- assigned
to the first few seasons of I Love Lucy.) Tables for 400+ people were set
up, with special TV-themed centerpieces (created by Rick Carl) on each. The
evening's main course: arroz con pollo (chicken and rice), Desi and Ricky's
favorite dish!

Designed to celebrate I Love Lucy's 45th anniversary, the dinner show was
produced and hosted by KABC-TV host Mark Towner, a longtime Lucy fan.
Special guests included Suzanne LaRusch and Adrian Israel Flowers, who, as
Lucy and Ricky Ricardo, recreated favorite Lucy moments. Roz and Marilyn
Borden reminisced about playing Teensy and Weensy -- and about working with
Lucille on an earlier Ed Wynn Show -- then wowed the audience with numbers
from their nightclub act. (The ladies knew their audience -- and were sure
to include a nostalgic rendition of "Ricochet Romance," Bent Fork style.)

Singer Katharine Kramer paid tribute to the many talented people who helped
make the Lucy shows happen, with the stirring "Wind Beneath My Wings." She
also joined Towner and actor/singer Patrick Ziegler in a medley of songs
from I Love Lucy -- a medley made even more poignant by the fact that Larry
Orenstein, composer of "Nobody Loves the Ump," was in the audience. Towner,
in a solo spot, left hardly a dry eye in the house with his rendition of
Jerry Herman's "Loving You," sung to a series of Lucille Ball slides.

<Picture>Adrian recreated the magic of Desi Arnaz with a rousing version of
"El Cumbanchero," and later tried to teach young Troy Larkin (portraying
Ricky Jr.) how to play the drums. The lesson was interrupted by Keith
Thibodeaux -- the real Little Ricky -- who took over the spotlight and
showed everyone what drumming is all about.

Suzanne's Lucy Ricardo, of course, spent most of the evening trying to
break into everyone's act. (The lady is frighteningly good at recreating
not only Lucy's broad movements but little subtle gestures as well!)
Frustrated, she finally commandeered the stage, loudly announcing, "Today
was my birthday! Did anybody remember? No-o-o body remembered" . . . etc.,
etc., leading, of course, into the ultimate singing of the I Love Lucy
theme song -- and Tom Watson wheeling out everyone's dessert, a 45th
anniversary cake!

The dinner was sponsored in part by The Hamilton Collection, which midway
through the evening gave away as a door prize the prototype of its new
Lucy-as-Carmen Miranda doll. Janice Carpenter, a member from Sioux Falls,
South Dakota, was the lucky winner.

Reviews

Here are just couple of the many comments we've received from
convention-goers:

Thank you Thank you! For an absolutely fabulous, fantastic, fun-filled,
entertaining, friend-making and reacquainting weekend -- whew! I can't tell
you how much I enjoyed every minute of it. All of the events were so
enjoyable and went so well, with so many big and small details in place, it
seemed more like the 10th annual Loving Lucy Convention instead of the
first. Everything was first class all the way . . . . I'll bet Lucy herself
has the biggest smile right now!

-- Ken Wessler

Loving Lucy '96 was all I was hoping for -- and then some! You sure made
coming from upstate New York to California a dream come true, and
oh-so-worth the trip and expense. Everything was just wonderful! All of
your hard work paid off. Thanks for the wonderful memories and new
friendships.

-- Debbie Schott

Return to Loving Lucy '97 Home PageBack to Laughs, Luck . . . and Lucy!

Breck

Mar 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/9/98

Incidentally, while the 1996 convention only covered Friday and Saturday,
its success prompted increasing the length of the 1997 convention to cover
Sunday as well. So there were more events going on in '97 than in '96.
Hopefully the same will be true of the '98 convention.

Breck

Breck <Br...@spam.unwelcome.com> wrote in article
<01bd4ace$d15a0ce0$bb23accf@default>...

Susan Amenta

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Wow! I can hardly wait!!! (Oops! sorry for the double posting!)
--
Sue
/"\

Breck

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

Susan Amenta <dia...@pe.net> wrote in article <350573...@pe.net>...

You might want to check every once in a while the fan club web page for
updates on the convention:

http://www.lucyfan.com

Breck

Brian Bell

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

I also thought that the "Great Train Robbery" was an excellent show.

But one that sticks out in my mind is the episode where Ricky is fired from
the club (or quits) and Lucy, Fred, and Ethel make reservations for made-up
people, then dress like them and leave because Ricky is not appearing.
---
Brian

Breck

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Hi Brian! It's a lot more peaceful here, huh? :-)

Breck

Brian Bell <ti...@usaor.net> wrote in article
<rthO.275$r73.2...@news.sgi.net>...

Brian Bell

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

>Hi Brian! It's a lot more peaceful here, huh? :-)
>
>Breck

Sure is Breck.

I tried to unsiubscribe from the list but I am still getting list messages,
about 95% being "unsubscribe"
------
Brian

Breck

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

> Sure is Breck.
>
> I tried to unsiubscribe from the list but I am still getting list
messages,
> about 95% being "unsubscribe"

And the other 5 percent being "you're a bigger baby than me!"? I hope the
mess is all straightened out soon because it's getting really annoying.

Breck