Howard's hair

1 view

Cathlene Brady

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
ju...@sdsu.edu wrote:

: Howard's hair doesn't make any sense.

Nevertheless, she is my role model and I've been growing my hair for the
past three years. My goal is to be able to put it in a knot that stays
put for an interview with a witness. I can knot it now but it wont' stay.

Yes it's a pain and a lot of trouble. And shedding long hairs is no
joke. I pay more for drano. It flies out the car window. It gets in my
mouth.

But I never have bad hair days.

this thread doens't make any sense.

CB

ju...@sdsu.edu

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96

Howard's hair doesn't make any sense. They have bent over backwards
to strip her character of any tv-typical feminine nuance: the harsh
voice, the facial grimaces, the gruff manner of speaking and the
masculine clothes. Being a rabid feminist, I get a kick out of seeing
women like this on t.v. but it is getting to be a bit much. You can
just see Leo chewing away at her dialog. I am sure it is fun for her
but Howard is getting to be almost a parody of a no-nonsense woman.
I was watching the EAP episode with a friend of mine who had never seen the
show. First, of course, we were watching the opening scene where
Howard was frightened by the black cat. Then a couple scenes later
Howard started taking over the case. My friend was confused: "She's
a cop? I thought she was a homeless women hanging around the station".

In fact, what are they trying to say about her clothes? I could buy
that she was trying to be practical and confortable but she wears men's
ties. They are neither. She doesn't have to and from what I hear, men
certainly wouldn't if they could avoid it. Men hate ties as much as
women hate pantyhose, so the only reason Howard would wear a tie is
because she wants to dress like a man. She is not a lesbian as they
have established, although I think that this would have made her even
more interesting.

Anyway back to the hair, any woman that is so disinterested in making
any attempt at presenting a feminine image wouldn't have all that hair.
I have had hair that long before and it is a bother. She is constantly
tugging, flipping and messing with it. It gets in her way. Howard
would cut it. Maybe Leo wouldn't. But if she wanted to be 100% true
to the character she would.

Generalizing yours,

Julie

Cathlene Brady

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
NOW this thread is making sense!
CB

Mary McCarty (mmcc...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu) wrote:
: Actually, Julie, my brother, husband and I had a very interesting
: discussion about hair (and lack thereof) on Homicide.

: The three proudest, most stubborn characters on Homicide all have
: distinctive hair. Pembleton has shaved his head. Giardello wears a
: preposterous hairpiece. Kay has an enormous, leonine mane of gorgeous,
: curly red hair. In all three cases, the hair reveals a lot about the
: character. Pembleton, with his emphasis on rejecting other people's
: values, has shaved his head, as if to prevent any affliation with a
: certain group. Giardello wears a toupee, even though it is extremely
: obvious, because he likes it. He is blind to how foolish he looks in
: it, even though he is very sensitive to other externals such as skin
: color, etc. Finally, Kay has renounced all other signs of femininity
: such as makeup or feminine clothes. However, she has cultivated her
: hair, which, because of its color and abundance, makes her stand out in
: any crowd. What she is showing by this is that she knows she's special,
: and she wants to be noticed on some very basic level. From that hair,
: you can tell that Kay has a massive ego that she keeps in check most of
: the time.

--
Who thinks that ....

Montel Williams

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
ju...@sdsu.edu writes:

>Howard's hair doesn't make any sense.

^^^^^^

You misspelled "Yaphet Kotto." Hope this helps.

[Kay wears ties.]

>She doesn't have to and from what I hear, men
>certainly wouldn't if they could avoid it.

Not all men. A man in a suit and tie carries himself like a man in a
suit and tie, and if you've got well-cut clothes and a well-tied tie,
it can be a real pleasure.

> Men hate ties as much as women hate pantyhose,

Although men _would_ wear pantyhose if they could get away with it, if
for no other reason than the innumerable opportunities presented by hose
for tugging at one's crotch.

Still babbling in the New Year,

Montel
--
jim...@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~j-hill5/

"Iced tea keeps me in a summertime frame of mind." -- Meldrick Lewis

Mary McCarty

Linda Alexander

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
Montel, are you my real father?

Linda

L. R. Peters

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
jim...@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Montel Williams) wrote:

>Although men _would_ wear pantyhose if they could get away with it, if
>for no other reason than the innumerable opportunities presented by hose
>for tugging at one's crotch.

>Montel
>--
>jim...@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~j-hill5/

Montel! Hey is that really you is this your other brother Montel?

Cathlene Brady

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
On Wed, 3 Jan 1996, Cathlene Brady <cbr...@umd5.umd.edu> wrote:
>Well Mary, what do you think? Should I post this?
>
>I have met Andre Braugher in person and seen him up close a second time.
>He did not have a very good complexion. He has the kind of skin that
>looks like his beard is a constant irritation. He looks like he has a
>lot of zits at some time in his life. It's a good thing he wears makeup
>in HLOTS. If he didn't we wouldn't know what a good actor he is. I
>can't for the life of me tell why he doesn't wear makeup in public. Maybe
>he's trying to make some non-conformist statement about our society's
>hangup on appearances. I hate it when a man lets himslef go like that.
>Sorry Andre, it needed to be said.
>
>Cathy "no beauty queen herself" Brady
>who wore makeup for the job interview
>but won't often wear it to work.
>
>I'm such a fan of Braugher's that I'd be mortified if this ever reaches
>him and it hurts his feelings.

Mary said not to post it.

Cathy

gr...@mail.io.com

Jan 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/6/96
One of the best episodes about Howard was the one where she went back to
the Eastern Shore. The story and the interaction between the people in
her home town said something very important about Howard--she grew up in
a male-dominated world (they were all waterMEN) and wanted most of all
to be one of the boys. She succeeded in another field dominated by men
when she became a homicide detective. So why all the hair? To show
(probably as much to herself as to those around her) that she is and
thinks of herself as a woman.

Rick Diamant

Jan 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/7/96
In article <4cmr4k$4...@anarchy.io.com>
Maybe the writers are reading this group! Anyone notice that the video
guy made a comment on how much he liked Kay's hair? :)

Rick

Cathlene Brady

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
Rick Diamant (diam...@ext.missouri.edu) wrote:
: Maybe the writers are reading this group! Anyone notice that the video

: guy made a comment on how much he liked Kay's hair? :)

Yes, that made me jump. Spooky isn't it? Since the shows are taped long
before we see them, sometimes I wonder if there aren't people on the crew
seeding our group with relevant comments. Bug did that once about
marksmanship.
CB

ECWhitley

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
I don't wear make-up, and often wear pants, and *I* have long hair, mostly
because I couldn't have long hair as a kid. As curly as Howard's hair is,
it seems like it would be less work to have it long.

And some women wear ties as part of their "look". I certainly think they'd
be an easier accessory than a scarf, which I've never gotten.

--Eva Whitley

landbeck john

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
On Sun, 7 Jan 1996, Rick Diamant wrote:

> Maybe the writers are reading this group! Anyone notice that the video
> guy made a comment on how much he liked Kay's hair? :)

I know someone in the hierarchy reads it; it is the "rawest"
place they could take the pulse of real-world viewers and fans.
But I doubt there is a _whole_ lot of emphasis placed on the
opinions/suggestions found herein. There already exist means for the
powers-that-be to discern what the popular opinions are, which probably
better reflect what the viewership as a whole thinks/feels.