Food Network going downhill?

Phillip

Apr 24, 2006, 12:19:29 PM4/24/06
I have some comments about the Food Network that I'd like to share. I would
just like to say that I've been watching Food Network for many, many years
now along with family and friends. Lately we've all been in agreement that
Food Network has really been lacking the diversity of shows it has. Also,
some of the personalities that have their own shows really irritate me. For
instance, I like Rachel Ray. She's a good chef, but do we really need to
see her 6 times a day? And Ina Garten. That woman has no personality at
all! My wife and I could fall asleep watching her show. Why doesn't Food
Network consider removing some of these repetitive programs, and removing
very "blah" hosts and replacing it with some fresh blood? For instance, I
would love to see a show on Food Network that focuses on Asian cuisine. I
think that's a very huge segment that could be tapped into. There just
needs to be more diversity on this network in my opinion.

Joe Cool

Apr 24, 2006, 3:34:57 PM4/24/06

I can't stand Rachel Ray and change the channel any time any one of
her shows comes on.

And I like Ina Garten.

Procrustes

Apr 24, 2006, 3:46:16 PM4/24/06
I agree. Most of us probably have our favorites and I'm no different.In
terms of exhibiting cooking ability and information they can get rid of
Rachel's $40 a day show. Same with the show featuring the "top five",
etc. And Michael Chiarello:: Can anyone be more pretentious - he's a
charicature of a smarmy, obnoxious queen!

Emeril's hit or miss with me. He has flair, but I question his artistry
- he's missing that component. Some dishes are great and others seem
junky. Ina seems like the type of person many will dislike but I find
her cooking just fine. Paula Dean? No thanks. Tyler Florence had some
good shows with Food 911 and his other show. I like Mario Batalli and
whatever he does - I find his dishes delicious.

More diversity might be a good thing. Don't know who they've had that's
Asian before other than Ming on Ming's Quest and he's still on the Fine
Living Network. I'd like to see them bring back a good French Chef show
plus something Japanese/other asian that is on the instructional side.
But I digress...

"Phillip" <p...@woh.com> wrote in

pl...@quentincrisp.com

Apr 24, 2006, 4:27:54 PM4/24/06
There's lots they could do, but they don't want to. It seems every
show has to appeal to the largest possible audience, which means they
cater to the lowest common denominator. (I.e., they're stupid.)

> For instance, I would love to see a show on Food Network that
> focuses on Asian cuisine.

Sigh. I'll go out on a limb here: I love Martin Yan.

Seeing all the (miserable) contestants on "The Next Foot Network Star,"
you really have to give props to Rachael Ray. IMHO, that still doesn't
render her watchable. I've gone from watching FN six to eight hours a
week -- "Iron Chef" was three to five of that -- to definitely under
one.

Dennis

Apr 24, 2006, 7:26:26 PM4/24/06
How about:

an hour show where the first 30 minutes is Julia Child show, second 30
minutes an update/modification

a diet cooking show with a fat host who loses weight along with the viewers

a competition for the above show with a group of over weight contestants
who compete on the basis of food and wight loss - the quick challenge
would be to take a fat laden recipe and modify it for a diet

restaurant openings/scene in major cities (chicago has one called "Check
Please")

A chef touring asia and then coming up with a recipe version of what he ate

A wine show (there is one on fine living) that reviews possible wines
with a restaurants food

Its not hard to come up with ideas. Must have some real bozos running
the network.

Read a mystery novel called "Liquor". Two gay chefs in New Orleans
opening a theme restaurant. They had a Emeril like character in the book
that was spot on.

Dennis

Apr 24, 2006, 7:27:35 PM4/24/06
They seem to have made a decision to go after the Oprah audience.
Message has been deleted

pe...@home.com

Apr 25, 2006, 9:01:06 AM4/25/06
On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:46:16 -0400, Procrustes
<procr...@everestkc.net> wrote:

>I agree. Most of us probably have our favorites and I'm no different.In
>terms of exhibiting cooking ability and information they can get rid of
>Rachel's $40 a day show. Same with the show featuring the "top five",
>etc. And Michael Chiarello:: Can anyone be more pretentious - he's a
>charicature of a smarmy, obnoxious queen!
>
>Emeril's hit or miss with me. He has flair, but I question his artistry
>- he's missing that component. Some dishes are great and others seem
>junky. Ina seems like the type of person many will dislike but I find
>her cooking just fine. Paula Dean? No thanks. Tyler Florence had some
>good shows with Food 911 and his other show. I like Mario Batalli and
>whatever he does - I find his dishes delicious.
>
>More diversity might be a good thing. Don't know who they've had that's
>Asian before other than Ming on Ming's Quest and he's still on the Fine
>Living Network. I'd like to see them bring back a good French Chef show
>plus something Japanese/other asian that is on the instructional side.
>But I digress...

Martin Yan is the first one that comes to mind that should be on the
Food Network.

bizook

Apr 25, 2006, 11:17:16 AM4/25/06
shawn wrote:

> Sounds like Alton Brown may be doing a variation of this based on
> cuisine he finds on the road in America. Or maybe it's just his take
> on Rachel Ray's Tasty Travels.

Just a hunch, but I'll bet real money that Alton's show will kick the
ever-lovin' ASS of RR's $40/Day.

-andy

Procrustes

Apr 25, 2006, 12:55:31 PM4/25/06
I think the $40 a day concept is flawed, but I'd tune in on Alton just to
see if "W" makes an appearance or two.

"bizook" <biz...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1145978236.364066.254160
@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Message has been deleted

barry in indy

Apr 25, 2006, 3:41:22 PM4/25/06

"bizook" <biz...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Just a hunch, but I'll bet real money that Alton's show will
> kick the
> ever-lovin' ASS of RR's $40/Day.

I know how much people here like Alton Brown. He usually has lots
of useful information to impart. But why must they do all the
cutesy stuff: weird camera angles, shooting through the
microwave, etc.? I often feel like they are aiming the show
towards the kindergarten audience.

--
barry in indy

Message has been deleted

Mr Curious

Apr 26, 2006, 12:21:28 AM4/26/06

"Procrustes" <procr...@everestkc.net> wrote in message

>I think the $40 a day concept is flawed, but I'd tune in on Alton just to
> see if "W" makes an appearance or two.
"W" r00lz :)

Mr Curious

Apr 26, 2006, 12:22:16 AM4/26/06

"bizook" <biz...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
The odds would have to be HUGE for me to touch that bet

> -andy

Liza Rodriquez

May 8, 2006, 1:42:45 PM5/8/06
In article <lU63g.69096$H71....@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, p...@woh.com
wrote:

I don't know if this is the right place to post it, or if its old news, but
since its news to me, I thought I'd share.

Yesterday I went to see Sara Moulton at our local Fortunoff here. She did a
presentation for about 2 hours. She was absolutely fantastic, just what you
think she'd be like if you saw her in person. She was entertaining and
educational at the same time.

Somebody asked her why she wasn't on the Food Network as much anymore. She
basically all but said that she was forced out. She said that the executives
at FN were more interested in "entertainment" and not all about education. She
said that she had friends who brought great ideas about shows to them and they
flat out turned them down because they were too educational. There were a lot
of topics she would want to do on her shows, like special gluten-free
episodes, diabetic diets, vegetarian, and they just wouldn't let her cause it
isn't what sells. She even brought up how on "The Next FN Star" they talked
more about how to smile more, instead of how to cook better.

I know this is all information we all know, but it was just interesting to
hear it from her.

That being said, she is coming out with a show next year on PBS! Called
"Improv Food" or something like that. She seemed excited about it and about
the fact that she will have so much more control. I personally am so excited
for it to join the rest of the wonderful PBS cooking lineup since I can't
stomach FN at all ('cept for Alton)...

Soul Bandit

May 13, 2006, 9:55:20 AM5/13/06

Yes, I agree that Food Network is all about the entertainment. The younger
woman hosts/chefs dress different from the older woman chef/hosts. Sandra
Lee and her curly hair, Rachael and Giada wearing low cut blouses. Do you
think Sara Molton would wear the kind of clothes Rachael and Giada wear? It
is all about entertaiment and sex appeal.

"Liza Rodriquez" <q...@joycelieberman.com> wrote in message

Christi Buchta

Jun 19, 2006, 6:32:09 PM6/19/06
In article <lU63g.69096$H71....@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, p...@woh.com
wrote:

First of all I have to say that I live in Canada and TFN is different than in
the states. We get some of the same shows but not all of them so i can't
comment on the decline of american TFN.

Someone did say that Giada works clean and I just wanted to comment on that.
Giada works clean NOW but she didn't originally. When she first started she'd
touch some meat or something and then touch her salt container, her pepper
mill and her oil bottle. Would drive me nuts. What drove me even more crazy
was back in the day, she used to have horrid tasting practices. Now she uses
that little dish to take some and taste. There was an episode where she made
some shrimp and rice dish for her "guests". She took a HUGE bite with a clean
fork, and while she was making pron noises, she poked and prodded all the
food on the serving dish with her dirty fork! I hate that! Oh and just for
kicks - Giada doesn't need anyone other than one person in a garage kitchen
to help her make stuff because the stuff she cooks isn't that difficult. A
third of it comes out of cans and packages, and another third are salads! How
many people do you need on little big heads show to make a salad? Not many..

Aliz Critchlow

Jun 17, 2006, 3:46:16 PM6/17/06
I do think the Food Network is doing a great job of mirroring our
society's insanity about food. I caught Robin Miller's show the other day.
She's an obviously anorexic woman who has even lost more weight since the
show started. The new puffy helmet hair style is probably to camouflage
that her eating disorder is causing her hair to fall out. When she
unsuccessfully tries to swallow her food it looks like it physically hurts
her to do so. Why aren't the network execs getting treatment for her?

Cut to Paula Deen who thinks it is hilarious to drink melted butter
straight on her show. I've had two relatives who ate like that who went
through a quadruple bypass and oddly enough, it wasn't that hilarious. I
couldn't believe her Mother's Day coffeecake made from canned biscuits
plus lots of butter, cream cheese, and sugar. And her higher-fat version
of a Croque Madame would make me sick from all that grease.

Finally, they have shows where crazed hosts (such as RR and SL) run around
tossing convenience foods in a pan in a hurried manner because they're so
busy. If we can't find time to nourish ourselves properly, what is worth
making time for? We obviously have time to watch all these shows on tv but
we really don't have time to make frosting from scratch for someone's
birthday cake?

I can't recall the last time I saw the Food Network do a show on an
ingredient like tofu but there were two different shows this am that
showcased fried chicken. Quite often the hosts present entire meals
without any fruits and vegetables while sneering at healthy eating
choices. I'm grateful for PBS and Discovery Home Channel because otherwise
I'd never see a cooking show with a non-Anglo host or a non-European food
theme.

I did catch Ellie Krieger's show once and I liked it. I'm usually not
watching tv on Saturday am though. What is up with the Food Network promos
for the show though? "Here's a healthy eating show that is not completely
disgusting!!" sigh

In article <Xns97AF96431E...@208.49.80.253>,

Bailey Legull

Jun 19, 2006, 7:18:21 PM6/19/06
Aliz Critchlow wrote:
> I can't recall the last time I saw the Food Network do a show on an
> ingredient like tofu but there were two different shows this am that
> showcased fried chicken.

Bravo! My sentiments exactly. The chefs say stuff like they don't
particularly *like* tofu. So what? We health-nuts eat it, and they're
PROFESSIONAL CHEFS. If I can make it remotely palatable (usually by
dousing in it chipotle hot sauce for tacos -- then they should be able
to. Instead we get non-cooks like Rachael Ray ignoring the stuff and
whipping up more burgers.

I used to watch the Food Network all the time: looooved the ORIGINAL
Iron Chef; thought Ms. Ray was fun and occasionally informative. Now
Iron Chef is gone and I've discovered that Ms. Ray --
who twitches so much it looks like she's fighting off locusts --
couldn't cook a healthy dish to save her life.

jeremy

Jun 19, 2006, 7:33:52 PM6/19/06
Bailey Legull wrote:

> Bravo! My sentiments exactly. The chefs say stuff like they don't
> particularly *like* tofu. So what? We health-nuts eat it, and they're
> PROFESSIONAL CHEFS.

Too few people in the demographic and if you are a good chef, you have to
taste everything, and if you do not like tofu, how can you taste it and say it
is good.

As for calling vegetarians "health nuts", half of that is correct. The human
race is omnivorous and intelligence and fertility can be physiologically
linked to meat in the diet. If you can maintain a healthy diet without
supplements from pills or any imported, out of season food, you must be some
kind of miracle worker.

Default User

Jun 19, 2006, 7:44:35 PM6/19/06
Aliz Critchlow wrote:

> Finally, they have shows where crazed hosts (such as RR and SL) run
> around tossing convenience foods in a pan in a hurried manner because
> they're so busy.

What do you mean by "convenience food"? Rachel Ray uses a few canned
products, but otherwise it's pretty much straight-up cooking.

Brian

won't shut up.

Ubiquitous

Jun 19, 2006, 8:27:55 PM6/19/06
In article <4for72F...@individual.net>, defaul...@yahoo.com
wrote:
>Aliz Critchlow wrote:

>> Finally, they have shows where crazed hosts (such as RR and SL) run
>> around tossing convenience foods in a pan in a hurried manner because
>> they're so busy.
>
>What do you mean by "convenience food"? Rachel Ray uses a few canned
>products, but otherwise it's pretty much straight-up cooking.

I noticed something really strange on Paula Dean's show last Saturday.
She was using the seasoning packets from raman noodles in a sauce!
I thought at first FN had bumped up SLop to an earlier time slot.

--
It is simply breathtaking to watch the glee and abandon with which
the liberal media and the Angry Left have been attempting to turn

Stan Brown

Jun 19, 2006, 9:12:49 PM6/19/06
Sat, 17 Jun 2006 15:46:16 -0400 from Aliz Critchlow
<cr...@guidetracker.com>:

> I can't recall the last time I saw the Food Network do a show on an
> ingredient like tofu but there were two different shows this am that
> showcased fried chicken. Quite often the hosts present entire meals
> without any fruits and vegetables while sneering at healthy eating
> choices.

Alton Brown is a shining exception. He clearly respects the
ingredients and the effort of preparing them.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"You may be the Universe's butt puppet, but I'm its right-
hand fist of fate." -- /Wonderfalls/

shawn

Jun 19, 2006, 10:26:38 PM6/19/06
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:32:09 -0500, "Christi Buchta"
<buc...@heldman.com> wrote:

>Someone did say that Giada works clean and I just wanted to comment on that.
>Giada works clean NOW but she didn't originally. When she first started she'd
>touch some meat or something and then touch her salt container, her pepper
>mill and her oil bottle. Would drive me nuts. What drove me even more crazy
>was back in the day, she used to have horrid tasting practices. Now she uses
>that little dish to take some and taste.

That reminds of the episode of "The Restaurant" I was watching today.
Rocco Dispirito came into the kitchen and was picking up strands of
spaghetti from a plate that was ready for a customer with his fingers.
He did it multiple times and complained about the lack of salt in the
pasta. That would have bothered me quite a bit if that was my plate.

Forge

Jun 19, 2006, 11:24:52 PM6/19/06
Well, since they seem to be giving about half their shows to The
Antichrist of TV Chefs, AKA Bobby Flay, *I* certainly have been watching
less. Iron Chef America, my hairy ass.

Jude Cormier

Jun 20, 2006, 2:20:17 AM6/20/06

"Stan Brown" <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote in message

> Sat, 17 Jun 2006 15:46:16 -0400 from Aliz Critchlow
> <cr...@guidetracker.com>:
>> I can't recall the last time I saw the Food Network do a show on an
>> ingredient like tofu but there were two different shows this am that
>> showcased fried chicken. Quite often the hosts present entire meals
>> without any fruits and vegetables while sneering at healthy eating
>> choices.
>
> Alton Brown is a shining exception. He clearly respects the
> ingredients and the effort of preparing them.

I find myself watching more PBS and Discovery Home.
Anybody else watch "Chef at Home"? The guy reminds me of John Corbett in
looks.

dave...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2006, 2:58:15 AM6/20/06

Ask Tony Bourdain why he didn't do a 3rd season of A Cook's Tour

pe...@home.com

Jun 20, 2006, 9:33:42 AM6/20/06
<buc...@heldman.com> wrote:

>In article <lU63g.69096$H71....@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, p...@woh.com
>wrote:
>>
>>I have some comments about the Food Network that I'd like to share. I would
>>just like to say that I've been watching Food Network for many, many years
>>now along with family and friends. Lately we've all been in agreement that
>>Food Network has really been lacking the diversity of shows it has. Also,
>>some of the personalities that have their own shows really irritate me. For
>>instance, I like Rachel Ray. She's a good chef, but do we really need to
>>see her 6 times a day? And Ina Garten. That woman has no personality at
>>all! My wife and I could fall asleep watching her show. Why doesn't Food
>>Network consider removing some of these repetitive programs, and removing
>>very "blah" hosts and replacing it with some fresh blood? For instance, I
>>would love to see a show on Food Network that focuses on Asian cuisine. I
>>think that's a very huge segment that could be tapped into. There just
>>needs to be more diversity on this network in my opinion

So, what makes Rachel such a good chef? She can't measure, never
bakes, hardly ever uses the oven, (although I did see her bake apples
like her grandmother used to do) and seems limited to one skillet
meals with meat and veggies. Granted, she has to do the whole menu in
30 minutes, but anyone can make biscuits or broil steaks in a half
hour, so why is everything Rachel cooks either fried or boiled? Even
her salads are made with already cleaned, peeled veggies. All she has
to do is chop and toss.

pepsi

Antipater Castilleja

Jun 20, 2006, 8:57:25 PM6/20/06
In article <1150759100.9...@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
pl...@quentincrisp.com wrote:

>I used to watch the Food Network all the time: looooved the ORIGINAL
>Iron Chef; thought Ms. Ray was fun and occasionally informative. Now
>Iron Chef is gone and I've discovered that Ms. Ray --
>who twitches so much it looks like she's fighting off locusts --
>couldn't cook a healthy dish to save her life.

I have really cut down on my FN viewing over the last year or so. I tend
to fixate on a show for a while, then go on to something else. I
actually use of couple of RR recipes, (which, #1, do not take only 30
minutes, #2, almost never work the first time, and I'm sure y'all know
that), and have made them better over time. I watched Mario Batali
religiously for about a year, but finally stopped when I was seeing the
same shows over and over. My fascination with Emeril literally lasted
two weeks. I have to wonder about a cooking show with a band, and an
audience that goes into an apoplectic fit because the chef uses pepper
and garlic. The only FN show I watch now on a regular basis is Ina.

Anyway, I've been wondering lately why I've lost interest. I think part
of it is, although I actually learned a lot when I first started
watching, I may have bypassed the skill level at which they function.
OK, that sounds annoying, but I've been cooking since I was 10, and I
learned to cook from my Sicilian mother. I also think, though, that the
Network as a whole, has gone downhill. So much RR I don't even know what
to think. It's hard to find Mario anymore. Does he even do any new
episodes? I hate all the shows like Best Of... and Top Five. I can't get
through five minutes of them. Sandra Lee? Yikes! She just plain scares
me. And if I hear her say "samwich" one more time, I might shoot my
television.

I've never had a huge problem with Paula (i.e. I don't hate her), but I
don't think I've watched more than two entire episodes of her show. I
usually lose interest. I couldn't change to channel fast enough the day
she pulled out a can of cream of mushroom soup. Didn't this woman own a
restaurant, for cripes sake? The very first thing my mother taught me
about cooking was never use any recipe that calls for a can of cream of
mushroom soup.

So yeah, FN reached critical mass a few years ago, which is probably
what ruined it. They had to dumb it down to the point where every time
you watch any show, including Ina, you have to hear about why she's
rolling that lemon before she cuts it. At the same time, it's structured
in a way that the viewer ends up feeling like an idiot because they
can't do it the way it's done on the show. So, in an indirect way, I
learned something very valuable from FN. No recipe works the first time.
And it's probably not going to look like it does on TV. Once I learned
that, I was able to relax and take from it what I could.

It's all just porn anyway. I think someone else said that earlier. That
person is correct.

koalabearoo7

Jun 20, 2006, 10:57:25 PM6/20/06
In article <000001c69411$be9b6e10$0268a8c0@cdy92>, cas...@lenox.com wrote:

>Anyway, I've been wondering lately why I've lost interest. I think part
>of it is, although I actually learned a lot when I first started
>watching, I may have bypassed the skill level at which they function.
>OK, that sounds annoying, but I've been cooking since I was 10, and I
>learned to cook from my Sicilian mother. I also think, though, that the
>Network as a whole, has gone downhill. So much RR I don't even know what
>to think. It's hard to find Mario anymore. Does he even do any new
>episodes?

There's a new book out called "Heat" by Bill Buford. which is mostly, but
not entirely about Mario Batali and his restaurants. There's a brief
discussion about how Mario got on Food Network and the author talks to
some of the executives who got him on TV and others who run the network
now. If you read Heat, you'll find that Mario's persona is pretty toned
down and cleaned up for TV, to say the least. There's some funny stuff on
what went on during the commerical breaks on one of the shows the author
sat in on. Some people could be appalled though. Current management and
the current programming strategy has quintupled viewership over the past
10 years and brought the network to profitability. Mario's style of show,
I think called "stand and stir" is called a dinosaur. So in the face of
all this success, why would they want to go backwards? They'd rather
alienate the older smaller audience than the newer larger audience.

Ubiquitous

Jun 21, 2006, 5:58:56 AM6/21/06
In article <e7ams...@eGroups.com>, making...@bigpond.com.au wrote:

>There's a new book out called "Heat" by Bill Buford. which is mostly, but
>not entirely about Mario Batali and his restaurants. There's a brief
>discussion about how Mario got on Food Network and the author talks to
>some of the executives who got him on TV and others who run the network
>now. If you read Heat, you'll find that Mario's persona is pretty toned
>down and cleaned up for TV, to say the least. There's some funny stuff on
>what went on during the commerical breaks on one of the shows the author
>sat in on.

I recall an Anthony Bourdain interview where he described Mario as a
serious party animal, which I found quite surprising.

A few weeks ago there was a blind item making the rounds about a certain
rotund celebrity chef who was getting a little too fond of the nose candy.
I will leave it to you to speculate whose name was bandied about.

pe...@home.com

Jun 21, 2006, 8:54:42 AM6/21/06
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 04:58:56 -0500, web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
wrote:

>In article <e7ams...@eGroups.com>, making...@bigpond.com.au wrote:
>
>>There's a new book out called "Heat" by Bill Buford. which is mostly, but
>>not entirely about Mario Batali and his restaurants. There's a brief
>>discussion about how Mario got on Food Network and the author talks to
>>some of the executives who got him on TV and others who run the network
>>now. If you read Heat, you'll find that Mario's persona is pretty toned
>>down and cleaned up for TV, to say the least. There's some funny stuff on
>>what went on during the commerical breaks on one of the shows the author
>>sat in on.
>
>I recall an Anthony Bourdain interview where he described Mario as a
>serious party animal, which I found quite surprising.
>
>A few weeks ago there was a blind item making the rounds about a certain
>rotund celebrity chef who was getting a little too fond of the nose candy.
>I will leave it to you to speculate whose name was bandied about.

If that were true, he'd be a lot thinner.

Buttercup

Jun 21, 2006, 9:18:14 AM6/21/06

Ubiquitous wrote:

> A few weeks ago there was a blind item making the rounds about a certain
> rotund celebrity chef who was getting a little too fond of the nose candy.
> I will leave it to you to speculate whose name was bandied about.<<<<<<<<<<

Gawd - Rachel Ray has to be on something.

Bailey Legull

Jun 21, 2006, 2:23:54 PM6/21/06

Sigh. So many idiots in the world, so little time.

Contrary to your odd little conclusion, eating tofu doesn't equal
vegetarianism. Also, true or false: by logical extension from your
statement, every chef in the world likes everything they cook.

Last, a question: why do idiots always say man is a meat-eater by
nature, so that's the way we should stay -- but as far as sex is
concerned, let's all try to be monogamous?

Rodolfo Moreno

Jun 21, 2006, 4:32:22 PM6/21/06
In article <000001c693cb$3f511380$78e5a8c0@joh72>, cr...@guidetracker.com
wrote:

>I do think the Food Network is doing a great job of mirroring our
>society's insanity about food. I caught Robin Miller's show the other day.
>She's an obviously anorexic woman who has even lost more weight since the
>show started. The new puffy helmet hair style is probably to camouflage
>that her eating disorder is causing her hair to fall out. When she
>unsuccessfully tries to swallow her food it looks like it physically hurts
>her to do so. Why aren't the network execs getting treatment for her?
>
>Cut to Paula Deen who thinks it is hilarious to drink melted butter
>straight on her show. I've had two relatives who ate like that who went
>through a quadruple bypass and oddly enough, it wasn't that hilarious. I
>couldn't believe her Mother's Day coffeecake made from canned biscuits
>plus lots of butter, cream cheese, and sugar. And her higher-fat version
>of a Croque Madame would make me sick from all that grease.
>
>Finally, they have shows where crazed hosts (such as RR and SL) run around
>tossing convenience foods in a pan in a hurried manner because they're so
>busy.

Any place that gives Sandra Lee something more than a switch board and an
appointment book has some serious problems. Actually, she doesn't even
deserve that. A good receptionist needs some brains and common sense. And a
reasonable command of English.

Gooserider

Jun 21, 2006, 5:56:54 PM6/21/06

<pe...@home.com> wrote in message

David Crosby was never skinny.

ANIM8Rfsk

Jun 21, 2006, 7:00:50 PM6/21/06
in article 9628983658...@attica.net, Rodolfo Moreno at
gwatt...@attica.net wrote on 6/21/06 1:32 PM:

Yeah; I'm always horrified at places that put a useless person at the front
desk, in charge of everything incoming and outgoing and making a lousy first
impression.

jeremy

Jun 21, 2006, 7:34:25 PM6/21/06
Bailey Legull wrote:

> Contrary to your odd little conclusion, eating tofu doesn't equal
> vegetarianism. Also, true or false: by logical extension from your
> statement, every chef in the world likes everything they cook.

As I just happen to be a chef, part owner of a restaurant and a food writer, I
might just have some validity in my opinion. Tofu, apart from its use in some
chines cuisines, is predominately a major ingredient in vegetarian cooking.
Although I do provide menu items for vegetarians, I have never bothered, nor
would ever want to get involved in pressed bean curds.
I also find it extremely difficult to serve things I do not like, so peanut
butter, tapioca, grits and tofu are things I have never and will never attempt
to prepare.

> Last, a question: why do idiots always say man is a meat-eater by
> nature, so that's the way we should stay -- but as far as sex is
> concerned, let's all try to be monogamous?

I did not write, "meat eater by nature" I wrote "omnivorous by physiological
design", if you cannot understand the difference maybe you agree with feeding
cows meat protein and should turn your cats vegetarian, but that would just
indicate that you are stupid.
As far as sex goes, I much prefer polyandry.

JJ

jeremy

Jun 21, 2006, 7:35:48 PM6/21/06
pe...@home.com wrote:

> If that were true, he'd be a lot thinner.

Cocaine just made me eat faster :-)

JJ

Dennis

Jun 21, 2006, 7:54:16 PM6/21/06
They're deluding themselves. Its cable that has exploded the last ten
years not the food network. The shows are dumb and getting dumber. What
they decided to do is create the stars so they can control and market
them. Think Emeril's time is limited unless they get a slice of his action.

Dennis

Jun 21, 2006, 7:55:06 PM6/21/06
Rocco? He has put on weight.

shawn

Jun 21, 2006, 8:45:54 PM6/21/06
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:34:25 GMT, jeremy <jer...@dcnet2000.com> wrote:

>Bailey Legull wrote:
>

>> Contrary to your odd little conclusion, eating tofu doesn't equal
>> vegetarianism. Also, true or false: by logical extension from your
>> statement, every chef in the world likes everything they cook.
>>
>As I just happen to be a chef, part owner of a restaurant and a food writer, I
>might just have some validity in my opinion. Tofu, apart from its use in some
>chines cuisines, is predominately a major ingredient in vegetarian cooking.
>Although I do provide menu items for vegetarians, I have never bothered, nor
>would ever want to get involved in pressed bean curds.
>I also find it extremely difficult to serve things I do not like, so peanut
>butter, tapioca, grits and tofu are things I have never and will never attempt
>to prepare.

Do you mean that they aren't your choice of things to make or that you
would decline to make them if a customer requested them? If the former
I can see that. I have never cared for grits and so I would never
choose to make that on my own. On the other hand if someone was
staying with me and wanted them I would be willing to make them
(especially since it's fairly simple.)

>> Last, a question: why do idiots always say man is a meat-eater by
>> nature, so that's the way we should stay -- but as far as sex is
>> concerned, let's all try to be monogamous?
>
>I did not write, "meat eater by nature" I wrote "omnivorous by physiological
>design", if you cannot understand the difference maybe you agree with feeding
>cows meat protein and should turn your cats vegetarian, but that would just
>indicate that you are stupid.

That would just indicate the flexibility that we all have. If you can
arrange for that right nutrients you can eat just about anything.
Still, most people want to have a mix of foods.

>As far as sex goes, I much prefer polyandry.

That's what most people might like (in their dreams) but they know the
impact on their relationships wouldn't allow for it.

shawn

Jun 21, 2006, 8:47:20 PM6/21/06

Rocco's put on weight, but nothing like Mario. Not unless he's put on
a lot more weight since his Restaurant show.

jeremy

Jun 21, 2006, 8:58:15 PM6/21/06
shawn wrote:

> Do you mean that they aren't your choice of things to make or that you
> would decline to make them if a customer requested them? If the former
> I can see that. I have never cared for grits and so I would never
> choose to make that on my own. On the other hand if someone was
> staying with me and wanted them I would be willing to make them
> (especially since it's fairly simple.)

Maybe you missed the first and most important part. To be able to judge what I
am making is up to standard, it is necessary to taste it. If it makes me want
to puke by putting it my mouth, it is unlikely I can judge the quality. If
someone wants grits that badly that they turn up their nose at what else I can
dish up, then they can find another cook. Any customers who want tofu based
dishes are more than welcome to spend their money somewhere else where a tofu
loving chef can get creative.

>>> Last, a question: why do idiots always say man is a meat-eater by
>>> nature, so that's the way we should stay -- but as far as sex is
>>> concerned, let's all try to be monogamous?
>> I did not write, "meat eater by nature" I wrote "omnivorous by physiological
>> design", if you cannot understand the difference maybe you agree with feeding
>> cows meat protein and should turn your cats vegetarian, but that would just
>> indicate that you are stupid.
>
> That would just indicate the flexibility that we all have. If you can
> arrange for that right nutrients you can eat just about anything.
> Still, most people want to have a mix of foods.
>
>> As far as sex goes, I much prefer polyandry.
>
> That's what most people might like (in their dreams) but they know the
> impact on their relationships wouldn't allow for it.

I think you might be confusing polyandry and polygamy.
JJ

pe...@home.com

Jun 22, 2006, 8:27:21 AM6/22/06

Is there a difference?

pol暄戢n搞ry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pl-ndr)
n.
The condition or practice of having more than one husband at one time.
Zoology. A mating pattern in which a female mates with more than one
male in a single breeding season.
Botany. The condition of being polyandrous.

Mike H

Jun 22, 2006, 4:51:37 PM6/22/06
jeremy <jer...@dcnet2000.com> wrote in

> Maybe you missed the first and most important part. To be able to
> judge what I am making is up to standard, it is necessary to taste it.
> If it makes me want to puke by putting it my mouth, it is unlikely I
> can judge the quality.

One does not need to LIKE something to judge it's quality, if one knows
what is considered to be good quality. I don't like Gumbo, but I know
what "good gumbo" tastes like now, I didn't like it, but I know it's
taste. I can reproduce that now because, even if I don't like it, I know
what it should taste like.

As far as making you want to puke, sounds like you just need to retrain
your pallate, that's what I've had to do. Seafood used to make me feel
the same way, but I've managed to adjust my sense and pallate where I can
at least stomach it, I still don't like it so far, but I can at least
consume it for "taste memory" purposes, at least to a degree, I'm still
working on getting my pallate fully adjusted, I managed to taste gumbo
and shrimp stock, the mere smell of seafood no longer makes me nauseaus.

> If someone wants grits that badly that they turn up their nose at what
> else I can dish up, then they can find another cook.
> Any customers who want tofu based dishes are more than welcome to spend
> their money somewhere else where a tofu loving chef can get creative.

And they will, and people like me will be more than happy to have them.
I may not like foods, but as long as I'm not allergic to them, I'll be
willing to cook them. I'll even find out what it is you make that they
like, and learn to make it for them so they don't have to darken your
door again.

Dennis

Jun 22, 2006, 9:42:49 PM6/22/06
Isnt that akin to an artist vs someone who paints by numbers?

Mike H

Jun 23, 2006, 4:51:12 AM6/23/06
Dennis <nw...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Isnt that akin to an artist vs someone who paints by numbers?

No, it's akin to a businessman wanting to fill the needs of his customer
base, or provide a missing service.

Dennis

Jun 23, 2006, 11:45:44 AM6/23/06
McD's is a fine business but I rarely eat there.

Mike H

Jun 23, 2006, 12:02:48 PM6/23/06
Dennis <nw...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:ZfKdnRyWYuw2kQHZnZ2dnUVZ_v-
dn...@comcast.com:

> McD's is a fine business but I rarely eat there.

And yet they do just fine, because they provide what their customers want
and adapt to the wants & needs of them. Had McDonalds taken the stance
that the poster I responded to has (I don't belive that poster was you, but
maybe it was), they would be a footnote in history, not the global
powerhouse they are today.

When MickeyDs started, their selection was very small, and customization
was out of the question, I even remember hating going there as a kid
because I don't like raw onions, and never have, and that was on their
burgers. When Dave Thomas opened Wendy's, the burger landscape changed.
He went from McD's 1.5 Oz patty to a 4 oz Patty. Kroc or someone in McDs
noticed that Wendy's was gaining on them, and they adjusted, now they have
the Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese, Double QP, Big Mac, breakfast foods, ect.

If McD hadn't changed to what their customers wanted, they'd be history now
and Wendy's would be where they belong in the FF burger world, at the top.

Dennis

Jun 23, 2006, 9:39:27 PM6/23/06
Your reply exposes the fundamental problem. We're not talking about
world domination - in your world view Dominos makes great pizza because
they are large and target a large audience. No matter how many people
eat that crap it is still a bad pizza. No one ever went broke under
estimating the taste of the american public.

Mike H

Jun 23, 2006, 11:49:10 PM6/23/06
Dennis <nw...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> in your world view Dominos makes great pizza because they are large and
> target a large audience.

No, in my world view, Dominos is doing good business because they provide
what is wanted.

> No matter how many people eat that crap it is still a bad pizza. No one
> ever went broke under estimating the taste of the american public.

But the difference is, Grits, Peanut Butter & Tofu are not "crap" if
prepared properly they are, as Alton Brown would put it, Good Eats. I'm
not saying that the poster has to quit making what he makes, I'm saying he
doesn't have to cut of his nose to spite his face because he personally
doesn't like the foods in question.

Trudy Burgess

Jun 22, 2006, 11:32:22 AM6/22/06
In article <9628983658...@attica.net>, gwatt...@attica.net wrote:

>In article <000001c693cb$3f511380$78e5a8c0@joh72>, cr...@guidetracker.com
>wrote:

>>Finally, they have shows where crazed hosts (such as RR and SL) run around

>>tossing convenience foods in a pan in a hurried manner because they're so
>>busy.
>
>Any place that gives Sandra Lee something more than a switch board and an
>appointment book has some serious problems. Actually, she doesn't even
>deserve that. A good receptionist needs some brains and common sense. And a
>reasonable command of English.

What are you talking about -- "Chef" Lee has done a number of shows featuring
food from France, the City of Lights. (She actually said that on one
episode.)

sk8hardjeremy

Jun 22, 2006, 8:31:58 AM6/22/06

And there was that stellar episode where she showed us how to make naan from
whackaroll. Also, this one is burned into my brain, her take on Chinese
cuisine (Chef Lee believes that China and Japan are one and the same). And
lest we forget, her tribute to African Americans with the immortal Kwanza Cake
with corn nuts...

Sasha

Jun 22, 2006, 10:06:01 PM6/22/06

She also believes that a lu'au should consist of fake-Chinese food and a
spectacularly stupid "volcano" cake. Sandra Lee is the poster child for the
FN's current suckitude.

Ubiquitous

Jul 4, 2006, 8:18:20 PM7/4/06
wrote:

>I do think the Food Network is doing a great job of mirroring our

>society's insanity about food. I caught Robin Miller's show the other day.
>She's an obviously anorexic woman who has even lost more weight since the
>show started. The new puffy helmet hair style is probably to camouflage
>that her eating disorder is causing her hair to fall out. When she
>unsuccessfully tries to swallow her food it looks like it physically hurts
>her to do so. Why aren't the network execs getting treatment for her?

Good gawd, that woman is a MESS! Who the hell makes ziplock bags of raw
chicken and veggies and then keeps them in the fridge all week?'

Ubiquitous

Jul 4, 2006, 9:08:05 PM7/4/06
pl...@quentincrisp.com wrote:

>Last, a question: why do idiots always say man is a meat-eater by
>nature, so that's the way we should stay -- but as far as sex is
>concerned, let's all try to be monogamous?

Umm, try an analogy that makes sense next time.

--
It is simply breathtaking to watch the glee and abandon with which
the liberal media and the Angry Left have been attempting to turn
our military victory in Iraq into a second Vietnam quagmire. Too bad
for them, it's failing.

Ubiquitous

Jul 4, 2006, 9:15:41 PM7/4/06
In article <94440062720593.A3A230DB5A@GOFAINOK>, Fred...@archaeologist.com
wrote:

She also believes that ice cubes are cloudy because you put tap water
instead of bottled into the icecube tray.

>Sandra Lee is the poster child for the FN's current suckitude.

Indeed.

--
"Bunny's ability to take ingredients that I love and put them together into
something stomach wrenching is unparalleled." -- bookwirm

Anim8rFSK

Jul 4, 2006, 9:48:22 PM7/4/06
In article <ZYmdnS8Yz7ggjzbZ...@comcast.com>,
web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote:

> In article <94440062720593.A3A230DB5A@GOFAINOK>, Fred...@archaeologist.com
> wrote:

> >>And there was that stellar episode where she showed us how to make naan
> >>from
> >>whackaroll. Also, this one is burned into my brain, her take on Chinese
> >>cuisine (Chef Lee believes that China and Japan are one and the same).
> >
> >She also believes that a lu'au should consist of fake-Chinese food and a
> >spectacularly stupid "volcano" cake.
>
> She also believes that ice cubes are cloudy because you put tap water
> instead of bottled into the icecube tray.

And yet the bottled water ice cubes she made were completely opaque.

moon ever16

Feb 15, 2007, 8:30:26 AM2/15/07
I have some comments about the Food Network that I'd like to share.

I'd like to see more versatility. I just started watching again and noticed
the primary chefs on are Rachel, Emeril, Paula, Sandra Lee, Gia and the
contests and best of. I don't really care how processed food is made, I
certainly don't want to eat it or cook with it. I don't think that is what a
food channel should be

What happened to Rosengarten, Sara, Chef du Jour ( I think that was the name),
Batali, Emeril without the audience. Not to mention shows I don't remember the
names of but all types of cuisines were showcased. What happened to Ming?
There was also a Mexican/African-American, etc.

I don't understand why we have repeats and the same shows back to back. Sandra
Lee's stuff doesn't work and looks disgusting; most of the packaged stuff has
a boat load of salt sugar and other ingredients. Semi homemade isn't homemade.
Period. Plus it's more expensive. I'd go out to restaurant because I'd come to
her house and eat that mess or sit at table that looked like a grab bag from a
thrift shop that was going out of business. With that said, I could tolerate
it if she wasn't on so many times in one day! I am certainly not the taste
maven here, I just want shows where people can actually cook.

I also don't want to see Michael squeeze a lemon with his teeth. That's gross.

I can't believe that they think they can make money in the long term with the
drivel that has become standard fare, repetitive drivel at that. I did not
need to see how to make Thanksgiving dinner in an hour everyday for the two
weeks before Thanksgiving. I also did not need to see the semihomemade show
repeated forever (so it seemed). Against my better judgment I tried the
garnish in the turkey, which was black, after roasting, which made sense, if
you leave herbs sticking out of a turkey for a couple hours. What an idiot I
was.

Looking at other's postings, I see even more shows that are gone; even if I
didn't love the show, there was the diversity and people that actually knew
how to cook. I liked Tyler.

It's the same old thing over and over again. I guess I'll have to go back to
PBS on Saturdays. What a shame. Is the head honcho at Food Network away? I
like Barefoot Contessa.

Paula and Rachel are all over, at Walmart, at the supermarket. Even Todd is
selling his pots on HSN, poor guy, couldn't talk about his wine gadget without
the host talking over him. Even if he wanted to add some culinary bits, he
couldn't. But I digress.

Anybody know why the show had slid so far into this e. coli abyss?

It does seem as though FN is trying to broaden the audience, as such, it has
eliminated the variety and I think the level of culinary expertise. Ready set
cook, that was fun. Oh, well, I am responding and reading posts, so I will
keep seeing another show I miss. I loved the episode of Chef du Jour where the
chef (I forget her name) did a buche de noel (sp) from soup to nuts,
explaining and demonstrating genoise, meringue mushrooms, buttercream, all in
a half hour, with commercials. Wonderful!

The diversity is the problem. In a nutshell, have different shows, don't
repeat them and incorporate more bonafide chefs with diverse (there's that
word again) skills and cuisine background. Ham on the street is disgusting.
Let's see what foods explode in the microwave? On a food channel? Maybe a kid
channel, yech!

Message has been deleted

donGoliano

Feb 16, 2007, 3:14:15 PM2/16/07
"moon ever16" <moon_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> It's the same old thing over and over again. I guess I'll have to go back
> PBS on Saturdays. What a shame. >

Nothing wrong with that. Here's my Saturday/Sunday PBS (3 channels) food
show lineup:

Food Trip w/Todd English
New Scandinavian Cooking
Everyday Food
Caprial and John's Kitchen: Cooking for Family And Friends
Taste This
Barbecue University w/Steven Raichlen
Jacques Pepin: Fast Food My Way
America's Test Kitchen
Gourmet's Diary Of A Foodie
Lidia's Family Table
Joanne Weir's Cooking Class
Check, Please! http://wttw.com/checkplease/ (not a cooking show)
Christina Cooks
Martin Yan's Chinatowns
Kitchen Sessions w/Charlie Trotter
How To Cook Everything: Bittman Takes On American Chefs
Simply Ming
Graham Kerr's Gathering Places
Flavors of America w/Chef Jim Coleman

Who needs Food Network?

Peace!
Goliano

Nancy2

Feb 16, 2007, 5:03:35 PM2/16/07
On Feb 16, 2:14 pm, "donGoliano" <d...@goliano.net> wrote:
> "moon ever16" <moon_eve...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > It's the same old thing over and over again. I guess I'll have to go back
> > PBS on Saturdays. What a shame. >
>
> Nothing wrong with that. Here's my Saturday/Sunday PBS (3 channels) food
> show lineup:
>
> Food Trip w/Todd English
> New Scandinavian Cooking
> Everyday Food
> Caprial and John's Kitchen: Cooking for Family And Friends
> Taste This
> Barbecue University w/Steven Raichlen
> Jacques Pepin: Fast Food My Way
> America's Test Kitchen
> Gourmet's Diary Of A Foodie
> Lidia's Family Table
> Joanne Weir's Cooking Class
> Check, Please!http://wttw.com/checkplease/(not a cooking show)

> Christina Cooks
> Martin Yan's Chinatowns
> Kitchen Sessions w/Charlie Trotter
> How To Cook Everything: Bittman Takes On American Chefs
> Simply Ming
> Graham Kerr's Gathering Places
> Flavors of America w/Chef Jim Coleman
>
> Who needs Food Network?
>
> Peace!
> Goliano

I daresay you may not be in the majority with these choices. We have
one PBS station available here in Iowa; there are probably a half
dozen, at most, cooking shows on PBS on Saturday. And none of them
are much good.

N.

Dennis

Feb 16, 2007, 5:22:33 PM2/16/07
Explanation is easy and FN gives the reason: they want to own the brand.
So you end up with these people who sell their soul for a chance -
hoping they can then break out something of their own. Emeril wont be on
FN for much longer. He is the last of the chefs.

Dennis

Feb 16, 2007, 5:23:51 PM2/16/07
Unfortunately not every PBS station carries these shows. We get Lawrence
Welk and pledge drives.

donGoliano

Feb 16, 2007, 6:01:08 PM2/16/07

"Dennis" <nw...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
When the pledge drives are going, we get either a BBQU or L. Ron Hubbard
marathon or non-stop doo-wop concerts. LOL

barry in indy

Feb 17, 2007, 6:35:26 AM2/17/07

"Dennis" <nw...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Unfortunately not every PBS station carries these shows. We get

> Lawrence Welk and pledge drives.

Another excellent PBS (BBC) show remotely connected to cooking is
"Pie in the Sky":

http://www.tv.com/pie-in-the-sky/show/1510/summary.html

--
barry in indy

pe...@home.com

Feb 17, 2007, 1:17:40 PM2/17/07

You're preaching to the choir here.

shawn

Feb 17, 2007, 1:31:39 PM2/17/07
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 20:14:15 GMT, "donGoliano" <d...@goliano.net>
wrote:

You definitely have a great number of choices from your PBS stations.
With our two local PBS stations we don't have quite as many choices.
Today and tomorrow I see:

Lidia's Family Table
Everyday Food
America's Test Kitchen From Cook's Illustrated
Burt Wolf: Travels & Traditions
This Is Atlanta: Cooking
Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie

Joanne Weir's Cooking Class

Martin Yan's Chinatowns
Food Trip With Todd English
Julia Child: Cooking With Master Chefs
Mexico: One Plate at a Time With Rick Bayless

So we have a fair selection, but this is only on two days of the week
and only from about noon till 6pm. If you got in at 8PM on Tuesday and
wanted to watch a cooking show live your only choice is the Food
Network. Unfortunately that probably means Emeri Live.. The man may be
able to cook but I get tired of his style.

Rob.

Feb 17, 2007, 2:58:25 PM2/17/07

"donGoliano" <d...@goliano.net> wrote in message
You must be in my neck of the woods, Check Please is a favorite of mine,
"everyday" people recommending eateries in and around Chicago.

Roberta

Stan Brown

Feb 18, 2007, 3:56:38 AM2/18/07
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 05:30:26 -0800 (PST) from moon ever16 <moon_ever16
@yahoo.com>:

> It does seem as though FN is trying to broaden the audience, as such, it has
> eliminated the variety and I think the level of culinary expertise.

I have the strangest sensation of deja vu.

Unless I am mistaken, we had this discussion within the past week or
so.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"You may be the Universe's butt puppet, but I'm its right-
hand fist of fate." -- /Wonderfalls/

Stan Brown

Feb 18, 2007, 11:34:50 AM2/18/07
Dave Lieberman actually has a decent instructional show at 9 AM
Eastern on Saturdays and Sundays. It's not haute cuisine, but he's
careful to give proportions and explain the reasons for various
choices.

I'm not sure how it is that the Food Network hasn't canceled it yet.

Jude Cormier

Feb 18, 2007, 12:19:15 PM2/18/07

> Dave Lieberman actually has a decent instructional show at 9 AM
> Eastern on Saturdays and Sundays. It's not haute cuisine, but he's
> careful to give proportions and explain the reasons for various
> choices.
>
> I'm not sure how it is that the Food Network hasn't canceled it yet.

Prolly because it is stuck on weekend mornings ala the Hearty Boys and Guy's
Big Bite.

Anim8rFSK

Feb 18, 2007, 12:30:15 PM2/18/07
In article <MIqBh.6206$MN....@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net>,
"donGoliano" <d...@goliano.net> wrote:

Actually the only time we get programming worth watching is during the
pledge drives, which is part of why I feel no obligation to donate any
more.

Well, that, and the whole "monty python ransom" incident.

Anim8rFSK

Feb 18, 2007, 12:31:01 PM2/18/07
In article <MPG.20424a30c...@news.individual.net>,
Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Dave Lieberman actually has a decent instructional show at 9 AM
> Eastern on Saturdays and Sundays. It's not haute cuisine, but he's
> careful to give proportions and explain the reasons for various
> choices.
>
> I'm not sure how it is that the Food Network hasn't canceled it yet.

I wonder if they have the rights to their 'classic' shows? I'd
certainly tape the original HOW TO BOIL WATER and David Rosengarten . . .

Jude Cormier

Feb 18, 2007, 12:33:52 PM2/18/07

"Anim8rFSK" <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote in message

Most probably they don't want to pay out residuals for reruns is my guess.
I never got the chance to see the Two Hot Tamales or most of the original
Ready Set Cook!

Feb 18, 2007, 2:05:15 PM2/18/07
Anim8rFSK wrote:

Our PBS station has gotten heavily into concerts. They'll schedule a
concert by some entity, Celtic Woman for instance, repeatedly show some
video of a past performance, and flog high-dollar memberships that come
with tickets.

Brian
won't shut up.

donGoliano

Feb 18, 2007, 2:33:06 PM2/18/07

"Rob." <tmcm...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
Yup, Chicago born and raised. Have you checked out K's Dumplings in
Westmont?

http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7603

Anim8rFSK

Feb 18, 2007, 2:42:19 PM2/18/07
In article <45d88e01$0$97272$892e...@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net>,
"Jude Cormier" <jh...@hotmail.com> wrote:

You would think a rerun of a 10 year old rosengarten would be less than
another Sandra Lee . . . certainly it would be entertaining.

Jude Cormier

Feb 18, 2007, 2:53:16 PM2/18/07

"Anim8rFSK" <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote in message

David was great in "Taste" and hosting the weekly cooking news show as well.
I even enjoyed the short-lived "Taste Test" game show.
There are plenty of older cooking shows just gathering dust, yet they feel
they must air something new to entice that all so important 18-40 demo. If
you have never seen it, then it's "new to you".

Anim8rFSK

Feb 18, 2007, 5:57:23 PM2/18/07
In article <45d8aeae$0$97221$892e...@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net>,
"Jude Cormier" <jh...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Yeah, exactly. There's got to be a new audience for "How to Boil Water"
by now. There have to be new people coming up that want to learn basic
cooking tips.

Taste is what I was thinking of. I even bought the VHS of Taste on
"Prime Ribs"

pe...@home.com

Feb 19, 2007, 8:47:50 AM2/19/07
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 11:19:15 -0600, "Jude Cormier" <jh...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

It appears the Hearty Boys are gone. They aren't even listed on the
Food Network's show list anymore.

Jude Cormier

Feb 19, 2007, 5:14:28 PM2/19/07

<pe...@home.com> wrote in message

Figures as much. FN isn't interested in promoting the winners as much as
they are interested in promoting "The Next Food Network Star".

Feb 19, 2007, 5:54:05 PM2/19/07
Jude Cormier wrote:

> <pe...@home.com> wrote in message

> > It appears the Hearty Boys are gone. They aren't even listed on the

> > Food Network's show list anymore.
>
> Figures as much. FN isn't interested in promoting the winners as
> much as they are interested in promoting "The Next Food Network Star".

Are people unable to find anything?

<http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ds>

Jude Cormier

Feb 20, 2007, 3:02:27 AM2/20/07

"Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Jude Cormier wrote:
>

>> <pe...@home.com> wrote in message
>
>> > It appears the Hearty Boys are gone. They aren't even listed on the
>> > Food Network's show list anymore.
>>
>> Figures as much. FN isn't interested in promoting the winners as
>> much as they are interested in promoting "The Next Food Network Star".
>
> Are people unable to find anything?
>
> <http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ds>

Ok, so they are still on the website. Still doesn't say much about FN, when
all they can push is Rachael Ray, Bobby Flay, Paula Deen and Emeril, etc.

pe...@home.com

Feb 20, 2007, 8:59:04 AM2/20/07
On 19 Feb 2007 22:54:05 GMT, "Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Jude Cormier wrote:
>

>> <pe...@home.com> wrote in message
>
>> > It appears the Hearty Boys are gone. They aren't even listed on the
>> > Food Network's show list anymore.
>>
>> Figures as much. FN isn't interested in promoting the winners as
>> much as they are interested in promoting "The Next Food Network Star".
>
>Are people unable to find anything?
>
><http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ds>
>

>Brian

Okay, I stand corrected. I was looking for "The Hearty Boys", not
"Party Line with the Hearty Boys." I was also going by the fact that
I never see the show anymore on weekends. It used to be at 9:30am,
now it seems it's on at 8:00. Too early for me, sorry boys.

Stan Brown

Feb 21, 2007, 4:51:43 AM2/21/07
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:59:04 GMT from <pe...@home.com>:

> Okay, I stand corrected. I was looking for "The Hearty Boys", not
> "Party Line with the Hearty Boys." I was also going by the fact that
> I never see the show anymore on weekends. It used to be at 9:30am,
> now it seems it's on at 8:00. Too early for me, sorry boys.

Gee, if only there were some sort of device that could record a TV
show so you can watch it later at your convenience .....

pe...@home.com

Feb 21, 2007, 8:42:05 AM2/21/07
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 04:51:43 -0500, Stan Brown
<the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:59:04 GMT from <pe...@home.com>:
>> Okay, I stand corrected. I was looking for "The Hearty Boys", not
>> "Party Line with the Hearty Boys." I was also going by the fact that
>> I never see the show anymore on weekends. It used to be at 9:30am,
>> now it seems it's on at 8:00. Too early for me, sorry boys.
>
>Gee, if only there were some sort of device that could record a TV
>show so you can watch it later at your convenience .....

If I had one, I'd use it to record something other than a cooking
show.

Nick

Feb 21, 2007, 8:54:28 AM2/21/07
Jude Cormier wrote:

Ain't that the truth.

Nick

Feb 21, 2007, 8:58:55 AM2/21/07
Stan Brown wrote:

> Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:59:04 GMT from <pe...@home.com>:
>> Okay, I stand corrected. I was looking for "The Hearty Boys", not
>> "Party Line with the Hearty Boys." I was also going by the fact that
>> I never see the show anymore on weekends. It used to be at 9:30am,
>> now it seems it's on at 8:00. Too early for me, sorry boys.
>
> Gee, if only there were some sort of device that could record a TV
> show so you can watch it later at your convenience .....

The point is that if they are supposed to be one of the new Food Network
stars, what the hell are they doing in an unwatched time slot?
I have only managed to see the show a few times but it is more informative
than most of the other crap scattered throughout the day. Do we really
need two Sandra Lee episodes every day?

Anim8rFSK

Feb 22, 2007, 6:35:53 AM2/22/07
In article <Xns98DE513...@204.153.244.170>,
Nick <nickSP...@snurcher.com> wrote:

You misspelled 'year' :)

Kevin Dooe

Sep 6, 2007, 8:05:53 PM9/6/07
Well, this might not be very popular but maybe I'll feel better if I write it. The subject of
this Network came up today at a meeting of professionals who are also pretty accomplished cooks
and fans of Food TV. It seems as though every one of us was very disappointed about this past
season of Next FN Star. Not only was there a lack of talent, but all of us felt as though in the
end, it was unfair. Rory beat Amy once, and she should not have had to do it again when JAG quit.
Rory should have won by default. Calling someone to come back was just gross. It should have been
over. If Miss Universe can't fufill her duties, the crown goes to the runner up, they don't call
back number three and take a new vote. It was down to the final two, and one could not continue.
Game over. Or at least it should have been.

Everyone was also put off by Amy's cry baby behavior when she thought she was about to get cut.
Not one of us will watch her show. In fact we all agreed that she is one, big turn off.
Everything about her, from the bad hair and mouth, to her very un-original cooking and French BS.
We all had the same question: Just what in the hell is The Gourmet Next Door anyway?

Has anyone informed Food TV that there is good food in places other than Italy and France? The
whole thing just smelled and it really put a dark cloud over Food TV and this competition (for
some of us). This is written with all due respect to those who might enjoy or be inspired by Amy.
This is strictly the opinion of a few people who no longer have an ounce of respect for Food TV.

I met a couple of employees over the summer, and they know they screwed up this year, big time.
If they are smart, they will cancel her after the six obligatory episodes and try to forget this
season ever happened. Next stop, Food TV. I guess I should tell them what I really think.

wrote:

>I have some comments about the Food Network that I'd like to share. I would
>just like to say that I've been watching Food Network for many, many years
>now along with family and friends. Lately we've all been in agreement that
>Food Network has really been lacking the diversity of shows it has. Also,
>some of the personalities that have their own shows really irritate me. For
>instance, I like Rachel Ray. She's a good chef, but do we really need to
>see her 6 times a day? And Ina Garten. That woman has no personality at
>all! My wife and I could fall asleep watching her show. Why doesn't Food
>Network consider removing some of these repetitive programs, and removing
>very "blah" hosts and replacing it with some fresh blood? For instance, I
>would love to see a show on Food Network that focuses on Asian cuisine. I
>think that's a very huge segment that could be tapped into. There just
>needs to be more diversity on this network in my opinion.

John Dimaurice

Sep 7, 2007, 6:47:25 AM9/7/07
In article <uYOdnakNIoyOgHzb...@giganews.com>,

Ah, the Food Network Saturday morning hour of fodder in which Robin Miller takes out her anxiety and frustration on food (and
this time—oh, the ribs!—on her mother as well), and Sandra Lee just commits drunken fraud.
If this ain’t downhill, I don’t know what is—but, please FN, don’t change a thing because this hour is just. so. funny.
What an inspired combination of can't and won't eat with can't and won't cook. Oh, and it's cocktail time—whoot! shimmy.

Nancy2

Sep 7, 2007, 11:21:37 AM9/7/07
On Sep 6, 7:05 pm, "Kevin Dooe"<bicuriousne...@just-men.com> wrote:
> Well, this might not be very popular but maybe I'll feel better if I write it. The subject of
> this Network came up today at a meeting of professionals who are also pretty accomplished cooks
> and fans of Food TV. It seems as though every one of us was very disappointed about this past
> season of Next FN Star. Not only was there a lack of

Well, Food TV is to actual "foodie" talent and knowledge (amateur or
professional), as "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" is to the
average American adult's education level.

Why bother to complain to FTV? By their own admission, they are "way
more than cooking." They continue to push RR, SLop and Robin Miller,
along with other idiotic premises (Delicioso and Giada's Getaways),
and obviously don't care about most of us who would like to watch
knowledgeable and skillful real chefs.

N.

Sep 7, 2007, 11:48:41 AM9/7/07
Kevin Dooe wrote:

> Well, this might not be very popular but maybe I'll feel better if I
> write it. The subject of this Network came up today at a meeting of
> professionals who are also pretty accomplished cooks and fans of Food
> TV. It seems as though every one of us was very disappointed about
> this past season of Next FN Star. Not only was there a lack of
> talent, but all of us felt as though in the end, it was unfair. Rory
> beat Amy once, and she should not have had to do it again when JAG
> quit. Rory should have won by default. Calling someone to come back
> was just gross. It should have been over. If Miss Universe can't
> fufill her duties, the crown goes to the runner up, they don't call
> back number three and take a new vote. It was down to the final two,
> and one could not continue. Game over. Or at least it should have
> been.

Nonsense. Rory hadn't won anything. I particular she hadn't won what is
a big part of the show, the audience vote.

tbs48

Sep 7, 2007, 1:22:35 PM9/7/07

Then there's that Latina vixen with the Teutonic name...

Charo would be better than that!

T.

Ubiquitous

Sep 16, 2007, 10:34:03 PM9/16/07
In article <5kda6pF...@mid.individual.net>, defaul...@yahoo.com says...
>Kevin Dooe wrote:

>> Well, this might not be very popular but maybe I'll feel better if I
>> write it. The subject of this Network came up today at a meeting of
>> professionals who are also pretty accomplished cooks and fans of Food
>> TV. It seems as though every one of us was very disappointed about
>> this past season of Next FN Star. Not only was there a lack of
>> talent, but all of us felt as though in the end, it was unfair. Rory
>> beat Amy once, and she should not have had to do it again when JAG
>> quit. Rory should have won by default. Calling someone to come back
>> was just gross. It should have been over. If Miss Universe can't
>> fufill her duties, the crown goes to the runner up, they don't call
>> back number three and take a new vote. It was down to the final two,
>> and one could not continue. Game over. Or at least it should have
>> been.
>
>Nonsense. Rory hadn't won anything. I particular she hadn't won what is
>a big part of the show, the audience vote.

Quoting Alton Brown: "Can't we send them all home and start over?"

SARAH MARRAKECH

Nov 6, 2007, 3:00:20 PM11/6/07
In article <1189185755....@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com>,

There's next to no buzz about Ingrid Hoffman and her show "Simply Delicioso", or
whatever. I wish we could find out the ratings for the show, because I really want
to know how well it does. FN used to pimp her 24/7, and now, it seems like she's
almost getting the Dan and Steve Treatment (not that Dan and Steve actually deserved
the Dan and Steve Treatment).

Basically, I'll try anything once, just to see if I like it, and Simply Delicioso
was simply awful. I really wanted to support the show, because FN doesn't have
nearly enough ethnic diversity and/or people of color on their network, and there
are other cuisines out there other than freaking Italian. But this woman didn't
cook, she purred and snapped and half assed her way around the kitchen, serving up
inedible and unappealing dreck.

C'mon FN, bring back Melting Pot.

Ubiquitous

Nov 7, 2007, 5:20:46 AM11/7/07
ANIM...@cox.net wrote:
> tbs48 <tbsa...@att.net> wrote:

>> Then there's that Latina vixen with the Teutonic name...
>

>The hispanic Sandra Lee.

I didn't think she was THAT bad...

It is loading more messages.